January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 minutes ago, iansums said:

Southampton have made a loan-to-buy offer for Atalanta attacker Duvan Zapata

Hopefully we're now dropping bombs everywhere that we're looking at other targets to force some arms - everyone knows we're desperate, we need to give the impression at least that we've got other options.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Problem with the Onuachu deal is that Genk wont be letting him go unless they can get a replacement in.....with only 9 hours left of the window its not looking good

They can have one of our current lot,    in fact they can take two of them,  for nowt.

3 minutes ago, derry said:

Zapata looks a useful striker but he's 32 on 1st April. Loan with option to buy ok. Get Onuachu as well.

Crikey you are worse than my daughter when ordering Chinese take away, that she is not paying for 'Ill have a bit of this, oh and that, don't forget to get that as well'

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

He finally decided on somewhere

Was also a target for Marseille right? His decision to go to Nice and not Saints/WHU/Marseille is a domino in the Vitinha race it seems.

Would have been very happy to sign Moffi or Vitinha. 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Can someone summarise what I’ve missed in the last five hours, please?

I don’t want to go back through ten pages.

Everything is shit, we are looking at various players, but they are all shit, sport republic are shit, NJ is a christian, and shit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, derry said:

On Sky at Everton listing non-arrivals including Onuachu. Looks like it's only us in for him at the moment.

For the moment? Do you not think perhaps the deals were actually done yesterday, allowing time for the players to travel today to do their medicals?

1 minute ago, Chez said:

For the moment? Do you not think perhaps the deals were actually done yesterday, allowing time for the players to travel today to do their medicals?

Reported Onuachu training at Genk this morning.

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Kamaldeen Sulamana - here we go €25+5m. Medical in France.

Vitinha - here we go to Marseille, €30m

Paul Onuachu - Everton not in the race, we are trying but club doesn’t want to sell. Rumours are it will take €18m but he trained this morning with Genk.

Zapata - we made a last min attempt for loan plus buy option.

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We haven't signed anyone yet. Rumoured to have agreed the Jonno quick transfer, linked with any remotely available target man striker in Europe (doubtful we'll be able to give the one that may eventually sign the standard Southampton tailored presentation on their abilities and role in the team 😆).

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Dont have to travel for a medical. Sulemana is reportedly doing his in France

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Whatever happens with incomings, it absolutely shows the state the club is in. SR can talk about "the process" etc but scrambling around on deadline day is something we would have laughed at teams for previously.

It's all just very very sad.

Moan moan moan ..ffs 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Whatever happens with incomings, it absolutely shows the state the club is in. SR can talk about "the process" etc but scrambling around on deadline day is something we would have laughed at teams for previously.

It's all just very very sad.

To be fair to the club, we have to scramble around as, all players/agents want to see what options clubs are interested. They wait right until the end to give the go ahead just to check what is their best offer. That means that the last minute is where a lcub like ours is going to be in the pecking order. The agents are playing us to get the best deal for a player and see we need them and so have to give a better deal. One thing about Cortese he didnt fool around IMO

• Like 4

Just now, Mr Nimbus said:

Sorry my mistake. I will try again. What a fantastic model for running a club. Scratching around for targets when we've had all month is a much better option. Silly me.

Do you honestly think the board have just been sat on their hands since 1st January and only started trying to do deals yesterday?

• Like 6

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Do you honestly think the board have just been sat on their hands since 1st January and only started trying to do deals yesterday?

Quite. Some people seem to think that buying players is like ordering something from Amazon. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Sorry my mistake. I will try again. What a fantastic model for running a club. Scratching around for targets when we've had all month is a much better option. Silly me.

From a quick glance at The Guardian, I see other clubs apparently seeking to complete signings today include Leicester City, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. They've all left it too late and should have done it on January 1st.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Jazzfunk said:

Purported French football expert on Talksport now chatting about our new signing.

"Not as good as Rennes thought he would be"

"In and out of the team"

"Not enough consistency"

"One for the future"

Maybe we are the move he needs

1 minute ago, itchen said:

From a quick glance at The Guardian, I see other clubs apparently seeking to complete signings today include Leicester City, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. They've all left it too late and should have done it on January 1st.

I understand the transfer process, perhaps I didn't articulate myself well enough in my OP.

All of those clubs, to my mind are adding additional depth. Arsenal signing Jorginho is a "nice to have" its probably not a necessity.

Our situation is completely different. We have needed a CF since Ings left and Armstrong proved not clinical enough at PL level.

To go into the afternoon of the last day, and allegedly bouncing around from target to target based on pretty sound sources, to me smacks of a desperation we used to look down at other clubs for.

All IMO of course

• Like 2

I get the impression that we started negotiations for Vitinha and Onuachu at least a week ago. Onuachu reported as 19/1 for our initial bid. Players/clubs/agents all dictate things. We are bottom of the PL and you think exciting players like Vitinha are going to just sign on 1/1, at the first offer?

We are clearly doing what we can. In the summer we failed but playing the waiting game nearly got us Gakpo. Many moving parts, Leeds, LVG and PSV all changing peoples minds. Still, we failed and that’s put us in trouble for sure. Not good enough.

If we don’t sign a CF, it’s hard not to blame Saints for not strengthening this key position. I too will be very unhappy. However I do appreciate that it’s difficult when so many teams of similar or better stature are looking for the same position. Seems to be more teams looking for a new main striker this window than ever before!

• Like 2