James Ward-Prowse

Roger

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Am I looking too much in to JWP's post match comment...

Head turned. See ya James! 😁

In all seriousness, with us skint, would selling Ward-Prowse in the summer give us vital funds to rebuild the team? I hope not, I'm a fan. 

After a good Euros off the back of his best season yet his price will be at its peak it probably time to sell. It’s out excellent model. With Romeu and Diallo already there, Smallbones world class potential, Janewitz emerging as a great talent we wouldn’t want to block their pathway so no need to bring anyone in. Let’s sell keep the pathway open for the youth and keep that bank balance topped up. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

In all seriousness, with us skint, would selling Ward-Prowse in the summer give us vital funds to rebuild the team? I hope not, I'm a fan. 

He’s playing week in, week out and is captain for a side that finished top 6 of the 2020 form table. What more success does he want!?

On 12/03/2021 at 14:10, East Kent Saint said:

He’s come along way since his debut, described at the time as lightweight, no obvious position to play in etc on here !

MLT was , according to an “evening with” I attended , easy going , no fan of training or Hoddle , happy to be still paid if dropped so I didn’t get the impression he was over ambitious. After all Steve Williams didn’t do so well after his move to Arsenal !

Although Steve Williams did have something to show from his time at Arsenal as he won the League Cup, when it was still important

8 hours ago, SNSUN said:

He's been at the club since 8 years of age.

He's now 26 and has just 5 England caps.

He's not going to win anything with us and footballer success isn't the same as fan success, they aren't fans, they're football players.

If I was in his shoes, I'd leave aswell.

We're Southampton. That's all we're ever going to be is Southampton.

• Sad 1

At least he’s on a long term contract. I don’t think JWP is a worry for this summer like Ings and Vest. It would be crazy to lose all 3, that’s the core of our team really. I know when Poch left we did similar but we won’t get the level of money in required to rebuild. We cannot contemplate selling JWP in either of the next 2 windows.

Loyalty in football is dead, so can’t expect him to be the next MLT. Would be nice though!

He played well last night but let's not get carried away, it was San Marino officially the worst international football team in the world. He has not miraculously transformed himself into Lionel Messi. 

What was interesting was that Southgate played him in the AMF role and told him to stay high up the pitch. Here he plays DMF with occasional forays forward. It's different having the ball behind you most of the time rather than in front but he settled into the role as the evening bored on.

Thought he was excellent last night, probably Man of the Match.

He showcased his remarkable consistency with set pieces and crossing, which in fairness, it probably doesn't matter who the opposition are.

I'm sure Southgate knows already whether he's going to make the squad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNSUN said:

If anyone thinks that, after selling JWP, we would use the funds to "rebuild the team", They surely haven't been paying attention.

20 minutes ago, norwaysaint said:

If anyone thinks that, after selling JWP, we would use the funds to "rebuild the team", They surely haven't been paying attention.

It's not about that, we need not to block the pathway for our rising stars. If we spend the money we'll probably end up with another Lemina so best keep our powder dry, win the net spend trophy and make sure we stay in the premier league with the biggest bank balance possible. It's how to build a strong club.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Question is, what is JWP worth in today's market?
He certainly ticks a lot of boxes for a relatively young central midfielder.
Fingers and toes crossed he doesnt get injured.

if he starts in the euros this summer and plays well then £50m

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I don't know exactly what todays market is in relation to transfer fees, but in ordinary times I would say £30 million plus, he is very highly  rated by football aficionados.  He would definitely be a massive upgrade on Fred at Man U. If its a UK move I could only see it  being City, United or Liverpool.

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's not about that, we need not to block the pathway for our rising stars. If we spend the money we'll probably end up with another Lemina so best keep our powder dry, win the net spend trophy and make sure we stay in the premier league with the biggest bank balance possible. It's how to build a strong club.

I realise you are being ironic, but no one could seriously believe there is any significant talent emerging from the B team with the possible exception of Tella. Who knows, secure the next 3 or 4 points and the whole picture may look very different regarding investment

8 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I realise you are being ironic, but no one could seriously believe there is any significant talent emerging from the B team with the possible exception of Tella. Who knows, secure the next 3 or 4 points and the whole picture may look very different regarding investment

Jankewitz ran the show for Switzerland U21s against a team of premier league players yesterday. You seriously telling me his isn't a talent? We SHOULD NOT BE BLOCKING THE PATH.

33 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Impossible to say right now given Covid world....but if he was at his current level, pre covid, it should be upwards of £60m IMO. He's got everything, and massively developed his game.

I think anything below £40m is an insult personally.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Probably in the £40-50m bracket. TBH I wouldn't particularly be against that. If we're losing Ings for £20m too then the combined money could get us a new striker, CM, #10 and LB. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Jankewitz ran the show for Switzerland U21s against a team of premier league players yesterday. You seriously telling me his isn't a talent? We SHOULD NOT BE BLOCKING THE PATH.

I misunderstood what you said, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Transfermark has him Valued at £25m. We’d obviously sell him for more than that, but any suggestion of anything above £50m is hugely unrealistic. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-ward-prowse/marktwertverlauf/spieler/181579

Arsenal paid £45m for Party from Athletico, who can demand a much higher fee than we can given their stature. Absolutely no way we’d get anything near £60m for JWP 😂

Edited by SKD
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Probably in the £40-50m bracket. TBH I wouldn't particularly be against that. If we're losing Ings for £20m too then the combined money could get us a new striker, CM, #10 and LB. 

Agree .   If someone stumps up 50 million we should be selling, pronto.

Just now, LeG said:

We should be building a team around him, not selling. 

Do you think he’ll want to stay long term? Excluding relegation. 

Strikes me as your typical 1 club man. Your Kelvin Phillips type, where he’s got it very good here and he’s probably not quite good enough to play at the top top level week in week out. 

Seems like a smart lad, so don’t think he’d chase the money. Wouldn’t begrudge him a big move. But agree, I think we should build a team around him. 

Clearly an absolute model pro and assuming he wants to go down that route, should be nailed on for a coaching role in 5-10 years time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Building a team around anyone for a club our size is foolish IMO. If he wants to spend his a career here then great but history shows us that this is rarely the case.

I think the money we’d get for him, his value to us would outweigh that. He’s probably the perfect player to build a team around. 

Good influence in the dressing room. Good player but not a superstar. Good media boy for the club. Chuck in a few solid leaders into your back 4 and he’s your perfect captain to be honest. 

26 minutes ago, SKD said:

Arsenal paid £45m for Party from Athletico, who can demand a much higher fee than we can given their stature. Absolutely no way we’d get anything near £60m for JWP 😂

Utd paid more for Van de Beeck who has not really done too much. Can't use one transfer to justify another. Club captain, England international with over 200 PL appearances, still only 26....60m + i would be asking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

He's got 4 years left on his current deal.

I think for him, his level, he's about £20m - £30m.

Factor in the English and a capped international I reckon we'd get £25M + add-ons.

I don't think anyone will pay more than that, especially the top 6 because they'd be looking at him as a squad player, not a dead starter week in week out.

• Like 1

I think JWP is a fantastic player. Also English and has one of the best fitness records in the league (having played something crazy like 90 games in a row). Honestly think given the long contract we would be looking at something in the £50m range outside of COVID time and £40m range now. I agree though, built the team around him, don't sell. He is worth more to us than the money IMO with the role he plays.

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Utd paid more for Van de Beeck who has not really done too much. Can't use one transfer to justify another. Club captain, England international with over 200 PL appearances, still only 26....60m + i would be asking.

Also Partey had a release clause, they desperately didn't want to sell him at £45m but were forced to and had to have a mad scramble to replace him as it basically happened behind their back.

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

United paid massively over the odds for him. They basically were hoping he was the next De Jong or De Ligt. 

Ajax again are a club who can probably command a slightly higher fee than we can. 

if you were a chairman and was asking anyone to pay 60m+, you’d me Laughed off. 

Who do you think he’d go to that would pay that? 

Just now, TWar said:

Also Partey had a release clause, they desperately didn't want to sell him at £45m but were forced to and had to have a mad scramble to replace him as it basically happened behind their back.

Fair enough, wasn’t aware of that. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

United paid massively over the odds for him. They basically were hoping he was the next De Jong or De Ligt. 

Ajax again are a club who can probably command a slightly higher fee than we can. 

if you were a chairman and was asking anyone to pay 60m+, you’d me Laughed off. 

Who do you think he’d go to that would pay that? 

in a world where Maguire went for 80m who knows.

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He's got 4 years left on his current deal.

I think for him, his level, he's about £20m - £30m.

Factor in the English and a capped international I reckon we'd get £25M + add-ons.

I don't think anyone will pay more than that, especially the top 6 because they'd be looking at him as a squad player, not a dead starter week in week out.

Yes, exactly this. 60m + is laughable really. 

Free kicks aside, all round is he any better than Mctominy, who’d never be touted as 60m+ on here. 

You’re right, he’d be a squad player for top 6 clubs. 

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

20m gets you a good Championship level player these days. Not sure what world you lot living in lol

Yes! 

Look, transfer fees have been nuts for a long, long time. 

There is absolutely no way JWP, if sold to a bigger club tomorrow, would fetch £20-25m.

You are looking easily £40-45m, given his contract length, age and all round game.

Again, to be clear I don't think any footballer is worth that sort of money, but the market is there.

I think the mood in this thread of "sell him if we get X..." is the challenge the club has. It is proud of its academy and the success in bringing players through but if you end up selling them all you set the culture and mindset of players in the academy that you're here until we get the price we want fr you. That may mean you just play 25 games or 300 games or anywhere in between but that is an horrendous thing to have in the club. You could argue we are not too far away from that already but by not selling JWP and hopefully one or two more come through and stay for a long time over the next few years we avoid this. Of course, those players who are unquestionably too good for us (as a small number have been) then they may well be sold (subject to any ownership change and financial investment), but hopefully the majority of those will be young players we have bought and developed rather than had in the academy since teen years or before, which is a different thing. JWP has been the poster boy for our academy and him staying for most if not all of his career is very important for me for a few reasons, not mention he is turning into a very decent and useful footballer.

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

20m gets you a good Championship level player these days. Not sure what world you lot living in lol

Not many CM’s from the championship go for that fee. That’s the goal scorers and attackers.

naturally the command a higher fee because they’re match winners. 

Free kicks aside, There are many JWP type players out there. Diallo as an example. He’ll go on to be a better player. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Free kicks aside, There are many JWP type players out there. Diallo as an example. He’ll go on to be a better player. 

I agree with you on that. Just not the fee side. If Saints were to look at buying a captain of another PL club who is in and around the England team you really think we would get quoted 30m ish...? 

5 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think the mood in this thread of "sell him if we get X..." is the challenge the club has. It is proud of its academy and the success in bringing players through but if you end up selling them all you set the culture and mindset of players in the academy that you're here until we get the price we want fr you. That may mean you just play 25 games or 300 games or anywhere in between but that is an horrendous thing to have in the club. You could argue we are not too far away from that already but by not selling JWP and hopefully one or two more come through and stay for a long time over the next few years we avoid this. Of course, those players who are unquestionably too good for us (as a small number have been) then they may well be sold (subject to any ownership change and financial investment), but hopefully the majority of those will be young players we have bought and developed rather than had in the academy since teen years or before, which is a different thing. JWP has been the poster boy for our academy and him staying for most if not all of his career is very important for me for a few reasons, not mention he is turning into a very decent and useful footballer.

That’s our model. Thats how we attract players. 

What’s more attractive for a young player? Luke shaw, Adam lallana etc. Moving to a huge club, or JWP staying and fighting relegation each season..? 

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

I agree with you on that. Just not the fee side. If Saints were to look at buying a captain of another PL club who is in and around the England team you really think we would get quoted 30m ish...? 

Obviously depends on who the player is and the club he comes from, but ultimately we are a selling club who offer little resistance. No one would pay 60m for him, so we’d sell at a lower price. For me, anywhere between 30-40m is a fair price. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Not many CM’s from the championship go for that fee. That’s the goal scorers and attackers.

naturally the command a higher fee because they’re match winners. 

JWP was a squad filler 3 or 4 years ago, now he's improved to the extent that he's a full international and our captain.

Not saying he's a world beater, but he can get about the pitch, tackle and chip in with assists and goals. And clearly sets a good example.

Diallo looks very promising though.  

1 minute ago, Super_Uwe said:

JWP was a squad filler 3 or 4 years ago, now he's improved to the extent that he's a full international and our captain.

Not saying he's a world beater, but he can get about the pitch, tackle and chip in with assists and goals. And clearly sets a good example.

Diallo looks very promising though.  

Which is why he won’t command a fee above 50m. 

I’d sell him before he gets found out. Emperors new clothes if you ask me.

Not a patch on Victor or Morgan, he’s in the Cork /PEH bag. Too one paced, safe, weak and polite to be a top top player. Good son-in law, but until we have special teams ala American football wont be more than a mid table player. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Do you not see the irony in suggesting that an ex-Academy player (star?) might be blocking the pathway for a current Academy player (rising star?)? 

I thought our aim was to field a team full of ex-Academy players so that we wouldn't need to bring in people from outside

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Wasn't that a different world? Covid has changed everything.

England international in his mid 20s in the form of his life. £50m during covid is a good price for a ambitious buying team with a hole in their midfield.

I know some of us are plagued by a pound shop mentality (for good reason too perhaps) but we don’t have to be when we are selling. 

obviously as the buying team, we are who we are...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

You do realise you're ridiculing the pathway for a player that has travelled it better than most.

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Wasn't that a different world? Covid has changed everything.

I don't disagree, because clubs are releasing some awful financial figures...BUT.....Not a huge amount seemed to change last summer regarding spending.  I think it will be really interesting to see how the market reacts this summer.  

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic