James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Just now, JustinSFC said:

Nobody is paying £50m large for James Ward-Prowse 5 year contract or not.

He'll be looked at by the top 6 as a squad player and none of them outside of Manchester City are paying that and I doubt even City would.

For £50m quid, at that level, there'd be serious options beyond James Ward-Prowse.

He'd improve Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal's central midfield. All of which have spent more than £50m on players.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

He'd improve Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal's central midfield. All of which have spent more than £50m on players.

Name those players.

They were all top drawer players already.

You don't pay £50m fucking quid on potential.

The last time that happened was Raheem Sterling to City and Sterling came from Liverpool.

Edited by JustinSFC

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

No they were not. For example Man Utd - Wan Bisaka, Arsenal - Pepe, Spurs - Ndombele were not experienced established players and all cost £50m+.

Pepe was being chased by Barca.

Wan-Bisaka was the best right back in the league at the time.

I'll give you Ndombele.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No he wouldn’t. He’d get no where near spurs or United’s midfield. 

• 2 months later...

The Athletic have also just reported that JWP is on Villa's shortlist as their wealthy owners are set to spend big again.

Could that be a move that may happen?

IMO it would need a bid of at least £50m for Saints to be able to save face on it with supporters, and as good as he is, you would have to wonder if he is really worth that to Villa?

As ever, it will come down to the player. He may just feel that he has pretty much done everything he can at Saints and with the club financially unable to compete higher up the league than the bottom third - he could see this as a good time to move on to a more ambitious club. We have lost Bertrand who he played with for years and will surely know whether Ings is likely to stay or not (and it doesnt take a genius to realiae without his goals we will be bang in trouble).

I am sure the England situation will have disappointed him, and he probably isn't better than Phillips, Rice, Henderson or Mount but even so, if he played for a better team would that give him a stronger chance of making the WC squad?

If he is ever going to make a move then is there going to be a better chance than this summer?

One to watch I reckon.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

The Athletic have also just reported that JWP is on Villa's shortlist as their wealthy owners are set to spend big again.

IMO it would need a bid of at least £50m for Saints to be able to save face on it with supporters, and as good as he is, you would have to wonder if he is really worth that to Villa?

As ever, it will come down to the player. He may just feel that he has pretty much done everything he can at Saints and with the club financially unable to compete higher up the league than the bottom third - he could see this as a good time to move on to a more ambitious club. We have lost Bertrand who he played with for years and will surely know whether Ings is likely to stay or not (and it doesnt take a genius to realiae without his goals we will be bang in trouble).

I am sure the England situation will have disappointed him, and he probably isn't better than Phillips, Rice, Henderson or Mount but even so, if he played for a better team would that give him a stronger chance of making the WC squad?

If he is ever going to make a move then is there going to be a better chance than this summer?

One to watch I reckon.

Def a chance as they have the money.

Hypothetically — If you were in charge — would you sell JWP / Ings / Vestergaard and have a go in the market with £90m?

I'd be surprised if he left this summer.

If his ambition is European football, he won't be joining Villa.

Also, tying himself down to a club that are far more reluctant to let their players move on may well stop his progression to a top 6 club such as Leicester City if he does have another great season.

Edited by Disco Stu

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hypothetically — If you were in charge — would you sell JWP / Ings / Vestergaard and have a go in the market with £90m?

Depends how far ahead our planning has been.

If we've long had the replacements and reinforcements lined up and ready to go and were just waiting on the funds to trigger the pre-agreed fees, then yes.

If we're just staggering around aimlessly in the market with money burning a hole in our pocket - and every club knowing we're both flushed and desperate - then no.

Not sure why anyone cares if Vestergaard leaves. Apart from around 15 games at the start of last season, he's been total garbage during his time at the club.

Can Prowse be replaced? Probably not his set piece quality, but the other aspects to his game aren't unique at all. Hard working sideways passers are ten a penny.

Ings is the one who'll be the big miss - but he's leaving one way or another anyhow, so we might as well get a fee for him that can be reinvested.

• Like 3

And Mbappe is on my shortlist. Their owners may be wealthy, but not so wealthy that they will drop the £60m required. Their biggest buys are all in the £30m range and in that same Athletic article it says they made a £25m bid for Smith-Rowe. If he is on their shortlist, they are severely underestimating how much it would cost.

I’d be surprised, would cost them upwards of £60m I would think, unless he pushes for a move. Despite what people say about the market, it’s not deflated at all at the top of it. 

For us to sell arguably our best player, to a supposed rival, would cost them a lot IMO. 

I’d be shocked 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Roll up Carlos Kickaball and Alia Dia's grandson 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’d be surprised, would cost them upwards of £60m I would think, unless he pushes for a move. Despite what people say about the market, it’s not deflated at all at the top of it. 

For us to sell arguably our best player, to a supposed rival, would cost them a lot IMO. 

I’d be shocked 

Do you think they still are? I think they are heading towards the 2nd group, top 6. As it stands, without significant signings we will be in the third / fourth group, mid table / avoiding relegation. Having said that, I think he could aim higher than villa.

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Do you think they still are? I think they are heading towards the 2nd group, top 6. As it stands, without significant signings we will be in the third / fourth group, mid table / avoiding relegation. Having said that, I think he could aim higher than villa.

Looks to me like Villa are aiming for the next level, possibly to challenge Leicester as the best of the rest. Pretty feasible they could challenge, top four look way ahead, but with Spurs and Arsenal pretty average, could be that top 6 is realistic for them. Wolves look a shadow of the team they were, Everton are just Everton, not sure if West ham will have another season like last. Leeds if they spend well might be in that bracket too. If Villa can keep Grealish and spend that sort of cash, they could be in for a very good season.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

One to watch I reckon.

Just reported? This started two weeks ago after they splurged on Buendia and said they were interested in JWP and the suggestion was that they would offer us a higher value than for Buendia. The intelligencia said "no, not unless its an offer of £50M+". I don't think this one has legs. If he was short on contract maybe we would consider it. But he's a south coaster and I'm sure he doesn't envisage his life being in the Midlands. So it's a no from the club, the fans and the player.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

One to watch I reckon.

Why would he go to Villa?

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

60 million take the money and run could get 2-3 additions to strengthen all over.

This and exactly what I said 2 weeks ago.

But please, arrange those deals before he leaves, as we will be paying a premium otherwise

• Like 1

Wasn't that long ago we went there and won 4-2, their fans boycotted and the ones that were there spent the game making protest signs into paper aeroplanes and lobbing them on the pitch. We could have score 7 that day they were so bad.

Just goes to show how quickly things can change at a club with a decent bit of investment.

7 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yes. JWP’s fitness and free kicks are to be admired. That aside, he’s really nothing incredible. Vest had period of good form last year before his injury, that aside he’s been thoroughly mediocre.

£25m each on decent replacements and £15m for a LB, suddenly we’re a better team than last year. Recruitment has to be on point though.

• Like 1

Villa won't pay the £60 million that would tempt us to sell and I doubt he would be that interested anyway, certainly not enough to make a move. As others have said he strikes me as someone very professional, grounded and settled with the club/area.  I think any move for him would have to be perfect, so we are talking a big 6 club to be hones and probably one of the ones with their shit together, so not currently Arsenal or Spurs.  

I also think personally many of our fans under rate him, I noticed a comment on the BBC article about White being the replacement and it said something along the lines of JWP should have been the replacement and Southgate missed a trick and it had something like 1k likes with virtually no dislikes.  Pretty much every pundit seems to rate him, seen multiple say he was unlucky to miss out on the squad and most neutral fans I speak to seem to rate him highly as well. 

But even in the club, not only is he our captain, he is the poster boy for the academy, is obviously massively professional (which has a big influence on those around him off the pitch) shows huge work rate on the pitch (which is again influential), has exemplarily levels of fitness and consistency, is then obviously world class at set pieces, is very important to how we play, he is intelligent and versatile enough to play other positions ably (like keeping Zaha in his pocket whilst playing right back), and is clearly the one the manager trusts the most and often is the one passing on his instructions on the pitch. 

IMO he is basically irreplaceable, is he the best player in pure ability terms? No, but pure ability is not solely what makes a very good footballer or a very important part of a team. 

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I also think personally many of our fans under rate him, I noticed a comment on the BBC article about White being the replacement and it said something along the lines of JWP should have been the replacement and Southgate missed a trick and it had something like 1k likes with virtually no dislikes.  Pretty much every pundit seems to rate him, seen multiple say he was unlucky to miss out on the squad and most neutral fans I speak to seem to rate him highly as well. 

Players who score a lot of free kicks are always noticed (and usually overrated) by the fans of other clubs because they're statistically so rare.

If you did a word association with JWP and non-Saints fans, I bet 99 out of 100 would say 'free kicks'.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Villa won't pay the £60 million that would tempt us to sell and I doubt he would be that interested anyway, certainly not enough to make a move. As others have said he strikes me as someone very professional, grounded and settled with the club/area.  I think any move for him would have to be perfect, so we are talking a big 6 club to be hones and probably one of the ones with their shit together, so not currently Arsenal or Spurs.  

But even in the club, not only is he our captain, he is the poster boy for the academy, is obviously massively professional (which has a big influence on those around him off the pitch) shows huge work rate on the pitch (which is again influential), has exemplarily levels of fitness and consistency, is then obviously world class at set pieces, is very important to how we play, he is intelligent and versatile enough to play other positions ably (like keeping Zaha in his pocket whilst playing right back), and is clearly the one the manager trusts the most and often is the one passing on his instructions on the pitch. 

IMO he is basically irreplaceable, is he the best player in pure ability terms? No, but pure ability is not solely what makes a very good footballer or a very important part of a team. 

Agree, very well put.

I remember the 'devastation' of seeing Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert all leave in 2014.  I genuinely thought we were gonners, but then we did some stellar transfer business and actually became better.  I'd like to think the club has learned from the 'everything we touch turns to gold' complacency that followed VVD's exit.  

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1

Out of interest, why do a number of people seem to think Saints would only be tempted by £60m+?

Clearly he isn't a £60m player.

I would be amazed if he wanted to go and we got an offer of £40m+ and didn't take it.

Also, nobody has mentioned that JWP may be tempted by the wages on offer, that Saints could not match.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Out of interest, why do a number of people seem to think Saints would only be tempted by £60m+?

I would be amazed if he wanted to go and we got an offer of £40m+ and didn't take it.

Also, nobody has mentioned that JWP may be tempted by the wages on offer, that Saints could not match.

Given championship players and average prem players are linked with £40m moves, I’d expect JWP being a key player and captain, on a long contract and coming into his prime and a club that doesn’t want to sell…it would have to be silly money.

Also, just because a player is “worth” x doesn’t mean that’s what you sell them for…

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes. JWP’s fitness and free kicks are to be admired. That aside, he’s really nothing incredible. Vest had period of good form last year before his injury, that aside he’s been thoroughly mediocre.

£25m each on decent replacements and £15m for a LB, suddenly we’re a better team than last year. Recruitment has to be on point though.

the thing is we would never spend 25m on one replacement, let alone two

trust us to big up the black box then spend 10-15m 

Those who have renewed their STs have received a "personalised" email thank you from JWP "Thank you for your incredible support, it means so much to myself and the team. We’re looking forward to the 21/22 season and we can’t wait to see you at St Mary’s." Make of that what you will......if anything.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Palace sold a right back who gets a nosebleed whenever he crosses the halfway line for £50m. Newcastle bought Joelinton for £40m. JWP is a key player, in his prime and has 4 years left on his contract, a £40m bid wouldn't even earn a response.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

you wont replace Ings, JWP and Vest for 65 million, nor would the club try, they would buy 10 no bodys and hope 1 pays off at around 2 - 10 mill max.

You just sold off 3 players 2 of them 3 who have a combined goal involement of around 31 goals last season, we only scored 55 in all comps  that is one huge huge drop to do in one go, and unless we signed Messi or Ronaldo, i doubt 10 players with potential for resale in the distant future is not going to cover that much of a drop in goals.

If we sold Ings and JWP, i will be very worried of championship football the following year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

If £40 million doesn't get Ben White then why in hell would it ever get JWP? 

Also since when do Villa offer much more wages than us? Aside Grealish I doubt any of their other players earn much more than our highest earners who are all likely to be in the £70-80k a week, with supposedly Ings being offered more than that.  Also they can probably only do that because a lot of their players will still be on championship contracts, the more new contracts and players they sign, the less room they have in the wage budget as FFP won't allow clubs to just throw money at their wage budgets endlessly. 

You are talking maybe Villa offer him £20-30k a weekmore, to move sideways, lock him into a new long term contract and prevent him from moving to an actual bigger club, moving his family, leaving the club he's been at since he was 10, I am not seeing it.

Nor am I seeing Villa suddenly deciding to pay him like £150k a week. 

We don't want to sell, we'd find it very hard to replace him, he's got 4 years left on his contract, and I can't see him agitating to move to Villa.  So there is no logic we would accept £40 million IMO, it would have to be way above value to even get the club considering which is £60 million plus IMO.  Even then I have my doubts he'd actually go. 

Edited by tajjuk

50 minutes ago, Mosin said:

you wont replace Ings, JWP and Vest for 65 million, nor would the club try, they would buy 10 no bodys and hope 1 pays off at around 2 - 10 mill max.

You just sold off 3 players 2 of them 3 who have a combined goal involement of around 31 goals last season, we only scored 55 in all comps  that is one huge huge drop to do in one go, and unless we signed Messi or Ronaldo, i doubt 10 players with potential for resale in the distant future is not going to cover that much of a drop in goals.

If we sold Ings and JWP, i will be very worried of championship football the following year

This is just a straw man, there’s no reason to think the club would sign ten nobodies for £2-10m. With Salisu, Diallo and KWP we recruited well last summer. Walcott not so much but he was cheap and it was basically him or nothing at the time, with our budget.

You can get a 10-15 goal a season striker for £25m if you do your homework and don’t rely on bizarre algorithms which say that a man who scored 5 goals in France is world class. You can get a midfielder better than JWP, free kicks aside, for £25m. You can certainly get a better defender than Vest.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This is just a straw man, there’s no reason to think the club would sign ten nobodies for £2-10m. With Salisu, Diallo and KWP we recruited well last summer. Walcott not so much but he was cheap and it was basically him or nothing at the time, with our budget.

You can get a 10-15 goal a season striker for £25m if you do your homework and don’t rely on bizarre algorithms which say that a man who scored 5 goals in France is world class. You can get a midfielder better than JWP, free kicks aside, for £25m. You can certainly get a better defender than Vest.

You'd need all of those signings to pay off immediately or be staring at relegation. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Sell Mr Saints??? He is the next banner boy! Will hopefully retire here! Always nice to have a player come good that is one of our own, he took a lot of flack from the "he's not good enough " camp of I know best. Said it Years ago that he would be our leader our "Mr. SAINT, CAPTAIN SAINT".

9 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Sell Mr Saints??? He is the next banner boy! Will hopefully retire here! Always nice to have a player come good that is one of our own, he took a lot of flack from the "he's not good enough " camp of I know best. Said it Years ago that he would be our leader our "Mr. SAINT, CAPTAIN SAINT".

Different times old chap. That was back in the day when we finished regularly in the top 8. Now we have a squad of players like JWP who play flat out to achieve 16th.

He's OK for us now but was never OK for us then.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

You'd need all of those signings to pay off immediately or be staring at relegation. 

You really wouldn’t. Bertrand and Vest have been thoroughly mediocre for the last couple of seasons and belong firmly in the bottom third of the table. £25m is shopping in Soyuncu territory, which is a far far better calibre player. If you’re spending £25m on a like-for-like replacement for Vest and £15m likewise for a player only as good as last season’s Bertrand, you’ve recruited very poorly.

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not sure what you’ve got against JWP, he’s a fantastic midfielder, and would walk into a lot of teams in this league 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic