James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Could lose him? We will lose him. Wouldn’t be surprised if this season is the last for him at Saints. I think a mixture of domestic ambition, international ambition, his age and a reality from what’s happened with COVID will lead to him leaving. If he does nobody could blame him and we’d all do the same if we were in his position.

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

I think it's inevitable that we could lose JWP too many big clubs are nowreportedly interested in him & at his age he will know it will be the last chance to step up a level (in terms of club size) 

No way JWP will leave Southampton. Stop worrying. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Is that the longest run currently or the longest run ever? Surely there's been keepers or Giggs, Barry etc. Who have made more consecutive appearances?

It's just current run, I saw something the other day saying Dwight McNeil and JWP were both on 71 consecutive games, but McNeil missed Burnley's last game. 

Just now, saintrich said:

It's just current run, I saw something the other day saying Dwight McNeil and JWP were both on 71 consecutive games, but McNeil missed Burnley's last game. 

Well they need to make that clear, it's very misleading. Poor from our marketing department. 

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Could lose him? We will lose him. Wouldn’t be surprised if this season is the last for him at Saints. I think a mixture of domestic ambition, international ambition, his age and a reality from what’s happened with COVID will lead to him leaving. If he does nobody could blame him and we’d all do the same if we were in his position.

Be about right wouldnt it ? Its taken him what ? 7 years to find his game and for him to find both consistency and a regular place with a partner that suits his game and a manager who has bought the best out of him. The grass isnt always greener. Look what happens at a big club and how Jose has ruined Deli Ali as one example.

Edited by beatlesaint

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Be about right wouldnt it ? Its taken him what ? 7 years to find his game and for him to find both consistency and a regular place with a partner that suits his game and a manager who has bought the best out of him. The grass isnt always greener. Look what happens at a big club and how Jose has ruined Deli Ali as one example.

What about Wanyama and Sniedelin who disappeared into  black holes (No racism intended).  Shaw suffered a bad drop in form for ages before he suffered that awful leg fracture. Although togive him credit he recovers remarkably afterwards

Martin Chivers took ages to settle at Spurs but his departure opened the door  for 18 years old Channon to play alongside Ron Davies . Aide and abetted by Terry Paine and Sydenham

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to get a little twitchy here that we are going to lose him. I know he hasn't been linked anywhere and he recently signed a new contract. But we have taken on a decent sized loan which will be burdening the club. And before MLG comes in, I know we don't have to repay it just yet, but it has big interest and frankly the club would be irresponsible not to try and start repaying it and they almost certainly will.

JWP must be our most valuable asset at the moment. Ings form is dreadful, and has come at a bad time. At his age he is a bit of a risk for a big club and he could be playing his way out of a move the way he is going. Vestegaard we could get decent money for but as a defender it would be considerably less then what we could get for JWP.

I'm sure JWP is happy here and would keep his head down and keep going. But I could also easily see the club scoping out whether anyone is interested in him, which as a home grown player that can play in a number of systems, I'm sure there will be. And now there is little chance of us qualifying for Europe there is even more need to cash in the door. 

Edited by sydney_saint

We will lose him. The squad needs a bit of work, but we can only do that by reinvesting what we sell. It feels like we are building up to some strategic sales to then re-invest the money (probably only a portion of it) in building the squad out in numerous areas.

That's how I see it anyway.

I think we are lacking a real star attacking wide/number 10 style player, maybe Minimino can be that? We're lacking a really, really good CB and arguably we need an upgrade on left back and further depth up front. 

We can't do any of that without selling, and JWP and Ings are probably our only sellable assets left - in terms of the size of the fees they can bring us.

5 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

What would be an acceptable bid for JWP?  9 figures?

Hard to say post-covid, but normally I’d say an English player, at his age, with that length of contract remaining? Definitely over £40 million

• Haha 2

Looks well on his way to that PL free kick record Beckham has, seems to be getting better and better.  Be interesting to see what his conversion rate over the last two years or so is, because I am pretty sure his conversion rate for his career was already good. 

Probably has been our most consistent performer for a good two years now. 

Whilst yes there is always a danger of your best players going, I can't see him going abroad unless like a weird bid from Inter or something, but not sure they have the cash and that would leave the big 6 here and I think they are well stocked in midfield, he's not going to get ahead in an attacking role than the likes of De Bruyne, Fernandes, Silva, Nodombele, Pogba, and doubt he is going to replace Henderson, Fabinho or Thiago at pool, and he's not really a out and out defensive mid like Partey or Rodri.

So can't really see any of the big 6 spending £50 million for a 3/4th choice centre mid. 

I think Ings is the one likely to go, try to get £30 million plus for him and re-invest in someone like Toney or Armstrong from the Championship maybe? 

• 1 month later...

I was never too sure of his value to the club.

However although he hasnt given me the same pleasure as the likes of Terry Paine, Mick Channon and MLT, JWP's progress through the club's ranks must be appreciated.

He has shown commitment, skill and goal scoring ability from set pieces.

He also has the happy knack of avoiding injury.

Well done JWP.

Having watched that interview, he actually comes across as a 1 club man. He talks about inspiring his son to grow up and score free kicks for Southampton, and for his goal to give everything back to the club that has given him so much... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

Quite surprised he hasn't been linked with a move away. Probably our most valuable asset given contract length? £30m+? Not implausible that any of the top 6 would see him as a viable squad option, albeit not first XI. 

If it's any other club, £60-100m, If it's Saints, £30m

Look at Rice - valued at £100m by Moyes. We should be saying the same.

• Like 1

All this one man club tosh.

I don't know the guy and i am sure he is genuinely a good lad, but if the likes of a top six club comes calling, 100k per week, CL football, international recognition (regularly),

some of you are saying, "He's a one man club and not going anywhere.."

Sorry to piss on your face paint and red and white curly hair wig, but it (probably) ain't going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

If it's any other club, £60-100m, If it's Saints, £30m

Look at Rice - valued at £100m by Moyes. We should be saying the same.

Not actually true: Moyes actually said he was worth "far, far more" than £100m.

If Hasenhuttl in his next press conference started batting around valuations for James Ward Prowse the immediate reaction would be that "he's for sale".

So, in my view rather than begging our manager to tout our players around with fees I'd prefer we said nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Didn't we get a world record fee for a defender fee of £75m for van Dijk? 🤔

And a joint world record fee for a teenager when we sold Shaw to Man U. Shaw was also the 4th most expensive defender in the world at the time.

Mane was Liverpool’s record signing when they signed him from us.

But let’s pretend that saints sell players cheap. 

Clubs pay what a player is worth, be it winning games or shirt sales. Plus compensation for the contract 

JWP doesn't really hit the mark brand wise, but contract wise he has big value. It will take a lot to prise him away, same scenario as Lallana.

Main issue is whether there is an available spot at a club that can afford him. That's City, Utd, Liverpool, or Chelsea. Maybe Spurs, Everton, or West Ham but can't see it. The Arse never buy English. 

The top 4 all have good players in those positions, so unlikely at the moment.

Vestergaard is a far more likely target 

Maybe, just maybe, JWP is happy at Southampton. He likes being club captain, he likes living in this area. I don't know enough about his personal life, but maybe his family and roots are here. I'm sure he makes a very decent living playing for Southampton (and England) and doesn't want the "bright lights big city" move. Maybe he likes the fact that he gets picked for every game, rather than warming a bench sometimes in a bigger team.  Le Tiss stayed loyal and he's a Saints legend because of it. Why not JWP? Imagine if Le Tiss had moved to a bigger club - he wouldn't have been held in such high esteem here. Maybe, just maybe it suits JWP to be here.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, macca155 said:

Clubs pay what a player is worth, be it winning games or shirt sales. Plus compensation for the contract 

JWP doesn't really hit the mark brand wise, but contract wise he has big value. It will take a lot to prise him away, same scenario as Lallana.

Main issue is whether there is an available spot at a club that can afford him. That's City, Utd, Liverpool, or Chelsea. Maybe Spurs, Everton, or West Ham but can't see it. The Arse never buy English. 

The top 4 all have good players in those positions, so unlikely at the moment.

Vestergaard is a far more likely target 

Yeh I'd say if anything he's slightly under rated by our supporters (as we can see by some very questionable opinions in this thread) most fans of other clubs and pundits seem to rate him and recognise his performances (statistically as well he hits a lot of highs).  IMO he's probably been our most consistent performer for the last two seasons. 

But he's on a long contract and in a position most clubs have very quality players, so spend £50 million plus to prise him away from us (and I find it unlikely he would force a move through and drive down the price) to get a very good, but maybe not top top level player when they have similarly good players in those positions but are lacking in other spots.

But Garth Crooks is probably right, he's a pretty good candidate to replace Wijnaldum for Liverpool, similar role, good age, used to playing a pressing system, hopefully they won't notice that. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 18:48, Pilchards said:

Gareth Crooks puts him in his team of the week.

His comments, Liverpool could do with buying JWP as he’s just what they want.

What a dick!

On 09/03/2021 at 21:14, Toadhall Saint said:

Twat

Come on you two, it's one or the other.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Come on you two, it's one or the other.

Can I add wanker to that? Anyway Liverpool have a much greater need - a decent centre back. Possibly someone to partner VVD when he returns. Maybe Dutch as well. Step forward Mr Wesley Hoedt. They can get him relatively cheaply........."£4.50p and he's yours"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tajjuk said:

But Garth Crooks is probably right, he's a pretty good candidate to replace Wijnaldum for Liverpool, similar role, good age, used to playing a pressing system, hopefully they won't notice that. 

Blast I hadn't seen that. That would be a disaster, he makes us tick, and there is no way our owner would turn down the big bucks.

Bad mood🤨

JWP will never be close to being a Saints legend.

I’ve seen him in person shouting Play Up Pompey, and his whole family are Skates. First sign of a big move and he’ll be off, like has happened 99% of the time to every half decent player we’ve had in history. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

19 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Maybe, just maybe, JWP is happy at Southampton. He likes being club captain, he likes living in this area. I don't know enough about his personal life, but maybe his family and roots are here. I'm sure he makes a very decent living playing for Southampton (and England) and doesn't want the "bright lights big city" move. Maybe he likes the fact that he gets picked for every game, rather than warming a bench sometimes in a bigger team.  Le Tiss stayed loyal and he's a Saints legend because of it. Why not JWP? Imagine if Le Tiss had moved to a bigger club - he wouldn't have been held in such high esteem here. Maybe, just maybe it suits JWP to be here.

If MLT had moved to Chelsea, Blackburn or Spurs, the chances are , he would be a national legend now, not just one down here.

19 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I expect at the top of most players lists when they are deciding whether to move away or not would be how popular they will be in Southampton.

4 hours ago, Griffo said:

I’ve seen him in person shouting Play Up Pompey, and his whole family are Skates. First sign of a big move and he’ll be off, like has happened 99% of the time to every half decent player we’ve had in history. 

Remind me, the chap who scored the goal that gave us the FA Cup, Bobby somebody or other where was he from?

• Like 1

He’s come along way since his debut, described at the time as lightweight, no obvious position to play in etc on here !

MLT was , according to an “evening with” I attended , easy going , no fan of training or Hoddle , happy to be still paid if dropped so I didn’t get the impression he was over ambitious. After all Steve Williams didn’t do so well after his move to Arsenal !

8 hours ago, Griffo said:

So the next time he pulls on a Saints shirt, gives a 100% for the team, happens to score one of his wonder free-kicks, you will stay seated, arms folded, with a glum look on your face, thinking "That's not right......he's a Skate.....and so are his family". I bet you felt the same (if you are old enough to remember) when Bobby Stokes scored the Cup Final winner. Personally I couldn't have given a monkey's toss where he was from when he scored. I can't predict whether one day JWP will make a big move, if he does - he does, but for fuck sake we should enjoy him while he's here and if he stays forever and continues to perform well then in my eyes he'll be a legend. You obviously disagree. My point was, he might actually like playing for Saints and might want to stay. I don't like that lot down the road any more than you but I would rather he was scoring those goals for us than for them.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Am I looking too much in to JWP's post match comment...

It has left me wanting more and wanting to chase more success.

Head turned. See ya James! 😁

In all seriousness, with us skint, would selling Ward-Prowse in the summer give us vital funds to rebuild the team? I hope not, I'm a fan. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic