Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Someone should see if there are any betting patterns that need to be looked in to.

The only thing that makes sense is if SR have got some serious wedge on us being relegated...

Not sure we’d have spent 40 million in the window if so but share your pain

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think the suggestions for Adkins are largely based on nostalgia. Let's remember the joy he bought and his achievements rather than invite him into this maelstrom because he wouldn't get results and it would tarnish his legacy. 

Nicola, Rickie, even Adkins in that era was great. 

L1 with Marcus was in hindsight a great re-set for us and ultimately got us to where we are.

I would hate for SR to take us back because I just don’t think that the desire that Marcus and Nicola had is there.

1 hour ago, Weston Saint said:

“I’ve compromised in certain principles because of personnel and the way people want to play and so on, and I’ve compromised because of fans and so on – it’s a few little things,” he said.

“But no more, I’ve been very successful playing a really fluent style and tried to implement that at Stoke but couldn’t because of certain things. I came back to Luton and was successful playing an aggressive, front-footed side.

"Statistically, there weren’t many better in Europe in terms of clean sheets, defending your box, balls in the box, XG and all those things. Pound for pound we were the best because we were spending next to nothing and getting results,” Jones added.

“I’ve gone away from that, maybe because it’s the Premier League, maybe because of certain players and internationals, I’ve had to compromise on certain things but no more.”

Asked if he has listened to outside noise, Jones responded: “No, not at all. We’ve thought what have we got, because at the end of the day there are certain players in the building we have to work with.

“Now we’ve got a little bit more aggression and firepower and so on. We will be able to step that up. There are a few little things but I haven’t listened to outside noise, now I will live and die by my own philosophy.

“I was recruited to transfer certain things into this football club and I haven’t at the minute, but I will.”

Asked by the Daily Echo what he meant when listing supporters as a reason for compromising, Jones answered: “Not just because of fans, I’ve compromised because of certain things. The chants have come after my decisions so it’s nothing to do with fans.

“Certain things like fans and outside noise have come in afterwards. I’ve gone away from what brought me to this football club and that’s the disappointing thing.

“One reason has been players and secondly it has probably been you’re in the Premier League and you want to be fluent.

“You want to make sure that players are in a system which suits them to get the best out of them, now we have a little bit more of what we need to do to be us.”

Southampton's Jones admits 'compromising' methods in revealing chat | Daily Echo

I’ve just listened to his interview and he’s basically said he’s brilliant one of the best in Europe but it’s everyone else’s fault because he’s listened to what others have told him. 

he just comes across as an absolute prick although conversely I also find him quite amusing 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

Are we sure Nathan Jones isn’t a parody and we are living in a sitcom?

He is making us a laughing stock. Horrible character, massive ego and a rubbish manager out of his depth.

sack him tonight!!!!

He’s like a very bad, Welsh, Rigsby from Rising Damp

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ve just listened to his interview and he’s basically said he’s brilliant one of the best in Europe but it’s everyone else’s fault because he’s listened to what others have told him. 

he just comes across as an absolute prick although conversely I also find him quite amusing 

It's the equivalent of someone answering what their greatest weakness in a job interview is with "the trouble is I work too hard."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

Are we sure Nathan Jones isn’t a parody and we are living in a sitcom?

He is making us a laughing stock. Horrible character, massive ego and a rubbish manager out of his depth.

sack him tonight!!!!

Absolutely. But as much as we'd like him to be sent packing back to wherever he crawled out of immediately, I doubt the board agree. I think it's clear as daylight to them that they fukd up big time hiring the nutjob, but I think they'll wait until the season is over and we're relegated to sack him IMO.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know what you mean, he’s like a comedy cross between Shadwell, Alan Partridge, and Fred West. Would be absolute comedy gold if it wasn’t our fucking club being used for his experimental theatre. Regardless, as soon as he’s sacked I my blood pressure goes down, I will be following his career with interest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He started listening to fan and player gripes (if at all) after the Forest debacle, one of the most horrific games I’ve ever seen. Players were ignoring him, fans booing and the football diabolical.

If he wants to go back to before he took player wishes on board it’s not going to be pretty, it was the worst I’ve ever seen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Chris Sutton has just said that Jones hasn’t got a clue and is making it up as he goes along.

I think a lot of managers don't have a clue. Even ones you think do, actually have just fallen into a great situation. This situation obviously wasn't that, with us being shit for a long time, and that calls for something a little bit special - actual genuine managerial ability. Not sure he has that.

I think he has three league games left. 3 wins in ten and that's OK, the owner will live with that, but 1 win and 9 defeats in ten is proof that you dont have the answers.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

He started listening to fan and player gripes (if at all) after the Forest debacle, one of the most horrific games I’ve ever seen. Players were ignoring him, fans booing and the football diabolical.

If he wants to go back to before he took player wishes on board it’s not going to be pretty, it was the worst I’ve ever seen

So the Forest debacle and before it was the work of genius the self proclaimed best in Europe and everything after it is down to him listening to others and not sticking to what he believes in, which presumably includes his only premier league win 🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

I think a lot of managers don't have a clue. Even ones you think do actually just seem to fall into great situations. This situation obviously wasn't that, with us being shit for a long time, and that calls for something a little bit special - actually genuine managerial ability.

I think he has three league games left. 3 wins in ten and that's OK, the owner will live with that, but 1 win and 9 defeats in ten is proof that you dont have the answers.

I agree with your first point. I think that Ralph made things stale and we badly needed a manager with real experience and knowhow to guide us. 

Today has swung it for me. Really didn't like the pile on when he had barely set foot through the door and felt he deserved a fair crack of the whip. However things like recalling and playing Bednarek, relegating should-be starters and new signings (DCC and Orsic) to the B team while sticking with proven flops like Moi and Diallo are hard to stomach. 

Even more concerning is just how disjointed we look and lacking any kind of playing style or identity. We are a poor team and were bad in the last year under Ralph, but Jones has actually made us worse and there are zero signs of any improvement.

I do feel sympathy for him as he is obviously desperate to succeed and trying his best, but just looks out of his depth. Not sure who we could get in at this point but it's clearly not working with Jones so we might as well try something different.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Portvliet, Sturrock, Gray and Wigley would run him close. 

Oi, Luggy was a decent manager for us. 1.23 points per game, well above average, solidly mid table.

The other three (along with Pellegrino), as bad as they were, didn't come close to the absolute train wreck of this muppet (6 PL defeats in 7 FFS).

And all of them seemed decent people, again in contrast to this fraud.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

Oi, Luggy was a decent manager for us. 1.23 points per game, well above average, solidly mid table.

The other three (along with Pellegrino), as bad as they were, didn't come close to the absolute train wreck of this muppet (6 PL defeats in 7 FFS).

And all of them seemed decent people, again in contrast to this fraud.

He was in a lower league with comparatively better players. He was a dismal failure imo. 

• Confused 2

I watched the Everton game before the Saints game and the difference from when we played them was so clear to see. So much better organised when they lost the ball, back 4 and the midfield 5 were in perfect line to make it difficult for Arsenal to get through, that's down to coaching and he's only been there a week. We however look completely disorganised without the ball, no set shape to go into to make it hard for teams to get through. We need someone to make us hard to beat, we're far to easy to score against, a quick 1-2 and they're in, Jones has to go before it's to late, although it probably already is.

• Like 5

We earned our way into this league. It took years. It took money from Liebherr, Cortese’s cunning and then a team spirit which took us into Europe.

We have had some amazing footballers and managers at the club. We were nearly extinct but we rose like a Phoenix. And what a journey it was.

But now it’s all been pissed away by Rupert Lowe mk2 who thinks he has reinvented football. And some welsh prick who thinks he’s Jose Mourinho.

It’s actually disgusting. I regret calling for Ralph to go. I thought we would appoint someone of premier league quality to light a spark at the club. But I would so much rather Ralph (who was a decent bloke) be here and go down and rebuild than these ****ing charlatans

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

We earned our way into this league. It took years. It took money from Liebherr, Cortese’s cunning and then a team spirit which took us into Europe.

We have had some amazing footballers and managers at the club. We were nearly extinct but we rose like a Phoenix. And what a journey it was.

But now it’s all been pissed away by Rupert Lowe mk2 who thinks he has reinvented football. And some welsh prick who thinks he’s Jose Mourinho.

It’s actually disgusting. I regret calling for Ralph to go. I thought we would appoint someone of premier league quality to light a spark at the club. But I would so much rather Ralph (who was a decent bloke) be here and go down and rebuild than these ****ing charlatans

We should have only ever considered getting rid of Ralph if the replacement was better, there was no evidence even before he was appointed that Jones was any better. I think it's fair to say that Ralph had become stale, but I do truly believe that he'd have got us a few wins during the period we've just had. I always felt confident that we'd get a run under Ralph at some stage.

My worry is if SR don't act quickly and make a change to the mood then next season will not be fun. It's not all roses in the Championship as Stoke fans will tell you, ditto Sunderland. If you fall down with the level of toxicity we have right now then it will be very hard to garner any momentum to go again, and once you lose a year it gets harder and harder. So in my opinion we need to try and garner some positivity now and take that into next season. We can then asses in the summer and get the right manager for the promotion charge, but there is no way Jones should be allowed to continue causing any more damage to our club.

• Like 10

From his comments...

Ralph got us punching above our weight, in large part because he had a system that worked, and had the players to get it working for good spells of a season. I remember a player saying that Ralph's coaching took them away from years of how they would have normally approached things.

Now we have a manager who says it's about the players, and not the systems. This is popular among elite managers who don't see themselves as setting up in a 5-3-2 or 4-4-2, but as a fluid group adapting to the game and maximising opportunities within it.

When NJ has tried to implement things, we've been left with confused looking players. There were rumblings about the complexity. That's not something at odds with NJ's desire for direct outcomes into the box. It's also that he wants them to be pressing, harrying, closing, blocking, but also counter pressing, making deep passes to attackers and on and on. The players are left wondering how they can magically be in two places at one, and it falls apart into a systemless shambles.

There's obviously a gap between playing levels. While NJ might think he was the best in Europe statistically (on a shoe string), it's at a lower, more forgiving level. While not diminishing that manager of the year he should be proud of, it doesn't mean that it transfers to a faster, tougher, sharper, more talented level.

He even mentioned that he'd been too soft on the group because they were premier League players. They wandon't be for much longer. He'll be able to relate to them more quite soon.

it's disappointing that he feels they were pandered to. That's something a manager who already had experience at a top level, wouldn't have had to bother with. That's one reason they get that bounce. They've run hundreds of matches at top levels, know what works and what doesn't in short order with the squad they get and can plough through egos, inner club battles and coaches/ department heads putting their nose in, where it's not wanted. NJ is having to learn all this the hard way, brought in when we've no time for that to happen. Well, unless the owners are okay with relegation, and are confident of a quick return.

He says he was brought in to work in a certain way. But he also cites the limitations in the squad to fit that way, as big reason for recent results.

The first way, that attempted to get the best from the group's established strengths hasn't worked. And despite the break and all the later weeks, he never liked it anyway. Now he's going to do it his way, regardless of whether the team can do it or not. You'd think that would make things worse, but the first way is such a low bar.

It doesn't say much about those who hired him, if they didn't bother to see if NJs statistical success was based on things our players could actually do.

From the post match comments, there was a lot of lines being drawn. Lots of "no mores". Sadly one big line should have been on his first day, and he should be further down the path of making the changes needed to keep us up. He says as much himself, as he mentions the compromises he's made.

I want any of our managers to succeed. Watching NJ take painful lessons every week at a level he's not been at before, isn't nice for any number of reasons. I can only hope this this new approach works very soon. Otherwise the statistics he will have to trot out in interviews will be the ones relating to him being our worst ever manager.

• Like 7

I think Rasmus and Co need a bigger share of the blame. Of course NJ would accept an offer to manage a premier side along with a much bigger salary. 

What a totally inept decision to take on an inexperienced lower league manager to try and improve a failing Premier league side, who also failed with another championship side.

Rasmus the motivational speaker has totally demotivated the fans of Southampton FC with the inept way he has overseen the running and decision making of our club. 

NJ doesn't help himself with his tactless interviews but in a way he has been thrown under the bus by Rasmus. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I know what you mean, he’s like a comedy cross between Shadwell, Alan Partridge, and Fred West. Would be absolute comedy gold if it wasn’t our fucking club being used for his experimental theatre. Regardless, as soon as he’s sacked I my blood pressure goes down, I will be following his career with interest. 

He talks like he’s some genius of football, a well respected authority in the football world self labelling himself as one of the best in Europe. In reality he’s won one  premier league game as a manager in his life and now has made the worst start to a premier league job of any manage in history. The stuff he comes out with is hilarious. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I think Rasmus and Co need a bigger share of the blame. Of course NJ would accept an offer to manage a premier side along with a much bigger salary. 

Absolutely no doubt that Ankersen deserves a whole heap of the blame for recommending and then making the appointment, and of course Jones was always going to take it when offered, it was a massive step up in his career both in terms of status and salary. However, that doesn't mean to say that the way he has conducted himself is what anyone would have reasonably expected (although his time at Stoke may have offered a few pointers in the right direction if it didn't start well), and the results and performances have been largely pathetic.

At least Ralph had a track record in the Bundesliga and, while there are certainly arguments that it had gone stale at the end of last season, also a history of arresting really poor runs of form with really good runs of form. It was baffling how we could flip-flop from so good to so bad, often in the same week. I'd absolutely bite your fucking arm off for that level of inconsistency right now.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He talks like he’s some genius of football, a well respected authority in the football world self labelling himself as one of the best in Europe. In reality he’s one won premier league game as a manager in his life and now has made the worst start to a premier league job of any manage in history. The stuff he comes out with is hilarious. 

I’m not at talented or deluded as Nat obvs, but I reckon I’d have won at least two premier league games in that run, world class mate! 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He talks like he’s some genius of football, a well respected authority in the football world self labelling himself as one of the best in Europe. In reality he’s one won premier league game as a manager in his life and now has made the worst start to a premier league job of any manage in history. The stuff he comes out with is hilarious. 

79z8uq.jpg

9 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I’m not at talented or deluded as Nat obvs, but I reckon I’d have won at least two premier league games in that run, world class mate! 

I can see why he gets on well with Ankersen.  Both think they’re  geniuses reinventing football based on minor achievements with small clubs. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5

What SR forgot about, when they looked for a manager, is that the Premier League has more media and fan scrutiny than any other league in the world.

Appointing a PR disaster was reckless, even before the football turned to shit.

Let him attend to his garden, and appoint someone else. Plenty of decent candidates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valesaint said:

The only positive about Jones is that he came cheap. He is not up to the job, hands up and go. Please!

Did he? By all accounts we paid upwards of £2.5m-3m compo for him and his motley crew of unqualified assistants.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!