Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am genuinely interested in what you have seen in his tenure to give him more time?

Would you have put that team out against Newcastle?

Did you think playing experienced players in a B team game 24 hours before a prem game a good idea?

Is it ok to throw 19 year old players under a bus in your opinion?

You think being outplayed by Lincoln, Sheffield Weds and Blackpool he can keep us up?

He's doing no worse than Ralph for starters. We lost 3-0 to Brentford at home earlier in the season and lost 4-1 in consecutive games (last game of last season and first game of this). Which means the players are crap, not NJ, and he is not worse than Ralph.

The rot was in a long time ago under Ralph (6-0, 9-0, 9-0, losing leads, so many losses, etc.). It takes time to turn the ship around with the players we have.

I honestly think NJ is a better manager than Ralph if for no other reason than he plays JWP in a more forward role. Ralph in 4 years never figured this out and stifled our captain. No wonder JWP likes NJ and pushed him forward to receive the accolades after the away win at Everton.

I'm convinced NJ won't be sacked anytime soon because he has the backing of our most important players i.e. JWP and Che Adams. The board love JWP because he's loyal and JWP will be instrumental to NJ keeping his job.

I have no problem with NJ speaking frankly and defending himself, considering all the personal attacks he has suffered from supporters and pundits. Many of us looked down on him right from the start because a. he's from a Welsh mining town, b. he's outspokenly Christian (it's sadly fashionable in some circles to put down Christians these days), c. he's from a lower league.

What his detractors call a "crazy rant" I call a "feisty response".

Sometimes we have to take 1 step back to move 2 steps forward. Hopefully this is the case with NJ as he learns what it is to be a Premier League manager.

No I wouldn't have put "that team" out against Newcastle, nor can I explain why he did certain things like drop DCC and play him in a B team game for 90 minutes 24 hours before a Prem game. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt and more importantly time as he has vowed to take a different tack from now on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, manji said:

I don’t get it SR have backed us completely and Jones has been tracked for a while. They are intelligent guys and Dragan has backed us in a big way BUT I struggle to get the Jones appointment he doesn’t even seem to fit in with the rest of the forward planning.

They are not nearly as intelligent as they think they are. Anyone associated with the decision to appoint Nathan Jones needs to have a long look at themselves in the mirror. These smart arses are far too clever for their own good - not to mention the good of our fan base.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not totally against that kind of thing in principle, I’d just prefer it not to be someone who’s only achievement is keeping plucky, little Luton in the Championship on a shoestring budget, but is completely out of his depth when he steps up to the dizzying heights of Stoke on Trent.

Any chance you could merge these threads BTW?

Just now, saintant said:

They are not nearly as intelligent as they think they are. Anyone associated with the decision to appoint Nathan Jones needs to have a long look at themselves in the mirror. These smart arses are far too clever for their own good - not to mention the good of our fan base.

They seem like gamblers playing roulette who have devised a too clever by half strategy to win, then fluked it, and now believe in that system no matter what mathematicians say.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones (Combined Thread)
5 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

As much as Jones is a bellend and I hope he’s sacked, there must be a couple of players who are downing tools for him and RH previously.

Disgraceful pricks really, they care nothing for the club or supporters either.

He should’ve done a better job — but I’m not sure anyones keeping us up now.  That mini-pre season was key and we f*cked it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

The thing that worries me is that when he does eventually get the boot, will Sport Republic hire the right man for the job?

They've already got one appointment horrendously wrong, so who has faith in them not to do the same again?

Not me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He should’ve done a better job — but I’m not sure anyones keeping us up now.  That mini-pre season was key and we f*cked it.

I know internally the club looked at that opportunity as a carbon copy of the lockdown pause, they put the same methodically into it in terms of personal training regimes and no published friendlies etc. Basically, once again, the club thought they'd cracked it due to our success after lockdown and got a bit full of themselves again

• Like 1

Whatever happens and I hope something does, I do wonder how Jones was able to mess things up so well, and so quickly. No PR support for his pressers. No-one advising him what happened before his arrival, or else he has chosen not to accept it.

He has exposed himself and the club to ridicule with what he has said. He forgets we were here before he arrived.

We experimented with a back 5 under RH, we knew the limitations of Ely and Diallo, we knew the youngsters needed time before being thrown in, we knew the toxicity of Bednerak.

The way he carries on, the world started when he arrived.

We have lived with this day in day out for months and months. Actually I think Saints fans have been very patient, but vitriol is borne out of months and months of disappointment followed by Jones comical 15 minutes of fame. Not unreasonable for us to feel let down.

Position obviously untenable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That would provide the perfect end to Nat’s sojourn in the Prem. 

Doubt they'll be able to cite gross misconduct and avoid the big pay-off he's got coming if and when sacked. This money wasting, club damaging incident is firmly on the shoulders of the fools who presided over this appointment. I hope Dragan seeks explanations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Doubt they'll be able to cite gross misconduct and avoid the big pay-off he's got coming if and when sacked. This money wasting, club damaging incident is firmly on the shoulders of the fools who presided over this appointment. I hope Dragan seeks explanations.

I doubt it too, but it would be an appropriate conclusion to this pantomime. 

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is the key for me. No point gambling to stay up now - but we need someone who's going to set the foundations for immediate return. In honesty I didn't expect Jones to save us necessarily - but the hope was he'd develop our talented young players, make us hard to beat and get both fans and squad to have a sense of shared mission. Instead he's done the exact opposite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Its a good day to bury embarrassing news - city just being charged with breaches of the FFP for like 10 seasons will take all the headlines

Wait, what? But their spending always seemed so reasonable 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Why have I got a horrible feeling it is not happening? Someone please reassure me

Some reports of a 10AM board meeting. If that's the case then it won't be announced until midday at the earliest. You would hope someone would be able to find out if he's at training today or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Some reports of a 10AM board meeting. If that's the case then it won't be announced until midday at the earliest. You would hope someone would be able to find out if he's at training today or not. 

His attendance at training sessions was always up there with the best in Europe, let's be honest.

19 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

He's doing no worse than Ralph for starters. We lost 3-0 to Brentford at home earlier in the season and lost 4-1 in consecutive games (last game of last season and first game of this). Which means the players are crap, not NJ, and he is not worse than Ralph.

The rot was in a long time ago under Ralph (6-0, 9-0, 9-0, losing leads, so many losses, etc.). It takes time to turn the ship around with the players we have.

I honestly think NJ is a better manager than Ralph if for no other reason than he plays JWP in a more forward role. Ralph in 4 years never figured this out and stifled our captain. No wonder JWP likes NJ and pushed him forward to receive the accolades after the away win at Everton.

I'm convinced NJ won't be sacked anytime soon because he has the backing of our most important players i.e. JWP and Che Adams. The board love JWP because he's loyal and JWP will be instrumental to NJ keeping his job.

I have no problem with NJ speaking frankly and defending himself, considering all the personal attacks he has suffered from supporters and pundits. Many of us looked down on him right from the start because a. he's from a Welsh mining town, b. he's outspokenly Christian (it's sadly fashionable in some circles to put down Christians these days), c. he's from a lower league.

What his detractors call a "crazy rant" I call a "feisty response".

Sometimes we have to take 1 step back to move 2 steps forward. Hopefully this is the case with NJ as he learns what it is to be a Premier League manager.

No I wouldn't have put "that team" out against Newcastle, nor can I explain why he did certain things like drop DCC and play him in a B team game for 90 minutes 24 hours before a Prem game. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt and more importantly time as he has vowed to take a different tack from now on.

Seems you will get your wish and will be here longer. 
I can’t see your optimism lasting long tbh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Someone ring Staplewood with a Welsh accent on asking to speak to "our Nathan".

• Haha 3

I'm holding out some hope that the media reports we're seeing are a little delayed and they haven't caught up with events from y/day and this morning.

I just don't see how anyone benefits by keeping him in charge, there is an element of care here as well - Jones is clearly on the brink of some sort of breakdown, you don't throw him to the lions on Saturday - you cannot predict how he will react to everyone if it goes sour. They have a duty of care and they should remove him before it gets to that stage.

There is sadly too much momentum in one direction, it's got tot he stage where nothing can really turn this around. Anything we do now will be in spite of him. He's thrown the players, coaches and fans under the bus. He has not connected with this club in anyway, he's had 3 months - that's not going to change in a week. I will have much more respect for Rasmus if he holds his hands up and admits this catastrophic mistake, starts again and gives us someone we can get behind again.

There is no reason to prolong this agony anymore, the only reason you'd prolong it is to protect an ego.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

If Ankersen gets his way and gives Jones more time then a dire situation immediately becomes even worse with lasting damage between the owners and the fan base. If the Board cannot see that then they are not  fit for purpose. Untenable means untenable now. Say we draw v Wolves then lose (likely), what then. It’s turning into a circus and Ankersen saving face is putting the club into serious peril. 

• Like 7

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!