Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

I think for me the biggest underlining indicator that AR may be in over his head, is at least twice he has stated that the gap between leagues (PL & Championship) is not that big.

The gulf is huge and gambling on Jones is probably going to send Saints down.

I said way back on this thread that he looks like he was unsure of his decisions, and he admitted it on Saturday. A parting of the ways is needed and we should be looking at a manager that can get a defined pattern of play that suits the group, with an eye on a push for promotion next season as I think it may be too late for us to survive.

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dimplex said:

That could be the route they are going down, lot of legal stuff to do if that’s the case. Which may mean it may not be an early announcement this morning. 

They wouldn't need to resolve the legal stuff first. I know PL football isn't the real world, but in any other industry the first thing to do if you suspect someone of gross misconduct is to suspend them pending a disciplinary hearing. 

In this case, all we would need to do is relieve him of his duties and let Selles take charge while we figured out the legal ramifications. If we have grounds for dismissal due to gross misconduct then we could avoid having to pay up his contract, but if no then so be it. 

Either way, he needs to be removed before he tarnishes the reputation of the club/board even further, because he absolutely will if he stays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I think for me the biggest underlining indicator that AR may be in over his head, is at least twice he has stated that the gap between leagues (PL & Championship) is not that big.

In fairness to him, it's currently only one place from where we currently sit!

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Perhaps NJ is taking this on full throttle. Calling the players out, showing all his cards etc. Didnt he do something similar before and set fire to a table tennis table or something? 

If he does go toe to toe with the players as he alluded to yesterday in regards drawing a line and the club continue to support him then it is a high risk strategy which won't end with us in the Premier league next season for sure.

The Table Tennis table incident is 100% true. He asked the players how playing TT would help their football dragged/ picked it up took it outside , smashed it up and set it on fire. I’ve seen managers at my jobs do a shock tactic vaguely similar to that but as a one off to stamp their authority ( it works ) but if you continually pull that stunt you eventually get written off as a wrong un.

Tell you one of the stories. Manager was continually complaining about the state of the staff room. He went in and threw all the cups and beverages out. All the coats etc. that weren’t hung up were put in a large box and said if they weren’t claimed within a week he threw them out. 
Remarkably effective trouble was these were generally young workers not highly paid footballers.

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2023 at 02:05, Bakovnetski said:

Who seriously said "no" to sacking him?

Really?

After that meltdown?

I did.

I remember we put one over Man City not too long ago.

And NJ has played JWP in a more forward MLT-esque position, something Ralph never did in 4 years.

NJ needs time to find his feet, having no Premier League experience.

Hence I voted for him to stay.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

How we shortlisted down to Jones will forever confuse me. Sport Republic have put their money where their mouth is, they've spent more than we've ever spent, we've attracted some decent players (international wise) for our position, we've attracted highly thought of coaches and recruitment people from top, top clubs.

But rather than show that same level of ambition with a manager, they went the complete opposite way. It's so odd. If they wanted to get rid of Ralph then they needed to show the same level of ambition as they have in other area's of the club.

I don’t get it SR have backed us completely and Jones has been tracked for a while. They are intelligent guys and Dragan has backed us in a big way BUT I struggle to get the Jones appointment he doesn’t even seem to fit in with the rest of the forward planning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coalman said:

Yeah. Every time the ref gets mobbed and nothing happens it gives the green light to more of the same.

Football would be a nicer place if refs just carded anyone screaming in their face and that would ripple through the whole culture.

I agree completely with that. However could you imagine the utter nonsense the ex pro's would spout, along with the hyperbole the presenters who want desperately to be in the fraternity of ex players would whip up.

It's all so odd. 

To your previous post's point, NJ strikes me as someone with massive imposter syndrome. People quickly find that out in any job and you lose credibility. Once that's gone you're not left with much. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I agree completely with that. However could you imagine the utter nonsense the ex pro's would spout, along with the hyperbole the presenters who want desperately to be in the fraternity of ex players would whip up.

It's all so odd. 

To your previous post's point, NJ strikes me as someone with massive imposter syndrome. People quickly find that out in any job and you lose credibility. Once that's gone you're not left with much. 

Would you say that statistically he's the best imposter in Europe though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Does anyone think there are clauses in  manager contracts….so that if they’re clearly out of their depth they just get binned with a percentage of their contract paid? Given he’s only been here a few months he surely can’t be expected to get fully paid up if he’s sacked today.

Let’s hope this happens asap and we can quickly draw a line under it. 
Still time if we act now.

18 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

I did.

I remember we put one over Man City not too long ago.

And NJ has played JWP in a more forward MLT-esque position, something Ralph never did in 4 years.

NJ needs time to find his feet, having no Premier League experience.

Hence I voted for him to stay.

I am genuinely interested in what you have seen in his tenure to give him more time?

Would you have put that team out against Newcastle?

Did you think playing experienced players in a B team game 24 hours before a prem game a good idea?

Is it ok to throw 19 year old players under a bus in your opinion?

You think being outplayed by Lincoln, Sheffield Weds and Blackpool he can keep us up?

Edited by Give it to Ron

4 hours ago, Verbal Kint said:

I'm afraid I have zero faith in him to get it right second time round. He spent months and months evaluating Jones and was even prepared to pay millions in compensation to get him, despite him being so utterly hopeless.

I struggle to believe the next manager can be worse than Jones, but I'm still worried about who he comes up with

This is the issue for me. Guys like Ankersen are not as smart as they think they are but fail to realise it. If we leave it to him again expect more of the same left-field bollocks.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jones sacked (Rumour)
2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Looks like the Saturday night Sunday morning meetings at SMS might have been conclusive. Selles in for Wolves with the new man in the stand, worth a punt on Bruno Lage. 

Ankersen gets some credit if he has been decisive here, and our season won’t be over. Saints can build and restore some self respect. 

Ankersen gets zero credit from me as he made the big call that got us in this mess in the first place.

• Like 1

Perhaps they are shorting the betting markets, waiting for the odds to rise again after saying no decision imminent, lumping on, and then axing him, thereby affording his compensation. Moneyball genius in every way, that Ankersen

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The other serious point in this delay is that the pool of available decent-ish managers might even diminish if Bournemouth or Leeds, say, decide to pull the plug pronto. All the more reason for SR to actually get real and get it bloody well done.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

This is going to be one of those days where I have loads of work to do, but will be spending all my time on here and Twitter waiting for the announcement that Jones has been sacked. 

Have a terrible feeling he'll still be manager come Saturday. I don't think they are going to sack him this week. 

20 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am genuinely interested in what you have seen in his tenure to give him more time?

Would you have put that team out against Newcastle?

Did you think playing experienced players in a B team game 24 hours before a prem game a good idea?

Is it ok to throw 19 year old players under a bus in your opinion?

You think being outplayed by Lincoln, Sheffield Weds and Blackpool he can keep us up?

A manager needs time to implement his style of play and for the players to learn how to play a new system/understand their role.

Ferguson, Arteta are examples of managers that were very close to sackings before success started to come.

That said, if I was in charge, I would be looking to replace him ASAP. Problem is, who are we going to replace him with?

I heard that there is a guy available with Prem experience, works well with young players and isn't terrible at organising a defence. Hassunhutl or something like that? He can't turn shite strikers into goal scorers though so maybe need to look more towards the supernatural side, someone like David Copperfield or Uri Gellar?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DT said:

The other serious point in this delay is that the pool of available decent-ish managers might even diminish if Bournemouth or Leeds, say, decide to pull the plug pronto. All the more reason for SR to actually get real and get it bloody well done.

Oh well, if there are no decent options available by the time we've sacked him then we can always hire an up and coming manager from the Championship. What could possibly go wrong?

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Have a terrible feeling he'll still be manager come Saturday. I don't think they are going to sack him this week. 

My gut feeling is that it will be today. Not sure they will be able to cope with lots of angry fans at the Forum thing tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

A manager needs time to implement his style of play and for the players to learn how to play a new system/understand their role.

Ferguson, Arteta are examples of managers that were very close to sackings before success started to come.

That said, if I was in charge, I would be looking to replace him ASAP. Problem is, who are we going to replace him with?

I heard that there is a guy available with Prem experience, works well with young players and isn't terrible at organising a defence. Hassunhutl or something like that? He can't turn shite strikers into goal scorers though so maybe need to look more towards the supernatural side, someone like David Copperfield or Uri Gellar?

But what system we have seen so many - what is his apart from aggressive front foot that will see you picked off easily.

I don’t remember Arteta throwing players under the bus or throw out I’m the best in Europe statistically b/s.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Oh well, if there are no decent options available by the time we've sacked him then we can always hire an up and coming manager from the Championship. What could possibly go wrong?

I’m not totally against that kind of thing in principle, I’d just prefer it not to be someone who’s only achievement is keeping plucky, little Luton in the Championship on a shoestring budget, but is completely out of his depth when he steps up to the dizzying heights of Stoke on Trent.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!