Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We can but hope. There have been some significant managerial appointment failures in the past, but this one takes the biscuit. The due diligence in choosing him was clearly negligent…he’s not ready and may never be. To be fair on Jones, once selected he was not likely going to turn down the opportunity, but then there’s a bit of me thinking he’s delusional enough to believe his own hype.

Sacking him will be the easy job…the very hard part will be choosing a competent, respected replacement.

That is why sacking managers without a decent replacement is clearly wrong has now happened twice with both Puel and Ralph

Worked well with Adkins and Poch 

• Like 1

Jones will go today. He hasn’t helped himself with his ludicrous post match comments, references to God etc but I hope he recovers. Whoever appointed him should have a long hard look at himself and his methods because the appointment was one helluva costly mistake and so so predictable. 

• Like 4

This whole Jones debacle is proof to all those stat geeks and more importantly the fella running our club that when it comes to sport stats are not the be all and end all. They can provide an indicator but in particularly team sport it is a lot more complex than looking at a spreadsheet and checking who had the highest numbers 

• Like 7

It’s a crying shame Jones has failed to galvanise the squad and make it work, but whatever he’s been doing since he arrived has clearly not worked. It would be wrong however not to include Selles and the other coaches in the criticism, unless of course they’ve had no voice in tactics and training which is not what we’re led to believe by Jones. If Jones has been badly affected by the derision from various quarters then we have a clear sign that he’s not a good choice to lead an elite top level football team…you have to rise above that and as someone else has said, have total belief in yourself from the get go.

Got to love the football forum classic of “blaming the fans” whenever anything happens. 

Sure.. it’s the fans fault that the clown:

- Wasted the World Cup break 

- Made us worse defensively

- Made us worse offensively

- No clue who his best players are

- Insulted the entire club & fan base

- Alienated the players 

If anyone does know him personally (hot saint), please tell him it’s nothing to do with the fans, and everything to do with his poor decision making. He’s achieved nothing in the game of note and never will. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hmm. Tanswell suggesting that he could be in post for Wolves. 

The club either have to get rid of him now or give him a run of games.

Given his spectacular meltdown over the weekend then keeping him longer seems irresponsible. Unless they believe that burning ping pong tables is the answer to our problems.

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hmm. Tanswell suggesting that he could be in post for Wolves. 

That would be extremely irresponsible by the Board, if only from the point of view that Jones does not deserve the mental anguish that he will inevitably suffer. Not only that, but if there’s a glimmer of PL survival hope, not winning this game would surely be the final nail.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This whole Jones debacle is proof to all those stat geeks and more importantly the fella running our club that when it comes to sport stats are not the be all and end all. They can provide an indicator but in particularly team sport it is a lot more complex than looking at a spreadsheet and checking who had the highest numbers 

The weird thing is, at no stage has Jones even looked like a geekbook manager. I often imagine the spreadsheet managers to be young and 'trendy'. A bit like De Zerbi who seemed like a geekbook appointment, and he's been excellent. Yet the style of football Jones plays isn't innovative or new, it actually just seems really dated. How did the stats indicate that Jones in anyway could be a success?

I think what the last few seasons in the EPL has shown is just how valuable experience is. It doesn't have to be premier league experience, but does need some real pressure situations. It's such a pressure situation that you need a bit more nous and it is not the place to be learning on the job.

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cortese would never have gone near someone like Nathan Jones

• Like 6

I was after saying to that Hot Saint last night, do they not realise this is a club who were literally watching their manager fail, fairly dismally (as NJ has often pointed out), yet half of the fanbase STILL didn't want to see him sacked? Blaming anything on us as fans is a madness. He had a bee in his bonnet from the offset, because he knew he wasn't a big name and a lot of that was (naturally) spoken about. The club knew it was a risk, as did he, the fans and anyone remotely interested in English football.

I think he was being given a fair assessment until he orchestrated that heinous home display against Forest and THEN tried to insist that it wasn't bad! That was the turning point (the post-match), because as much as he likes to think we are, we're not stupid and we know what we're watching.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Jones will go today. He hasn’t helped himself with his ludicrous post match comments, references to God etc but I hope he recovers. Whoever appointed him should have a long hard look at himself and his methods because the appointment was one helluva costly mistake and so so predictable. 

Very similar to Liz Truss becoming PM with little exerience and crazy ideas

• Like 2

We simply can’t afford give him the wolves game. We could be 6 points and worse GD away by then with 16 to go.

For me he’s lost the fans and it sounds like he’s lost the players. He represents the club in an unprofessional manager. His football is indeed, shit. 

Ralph needed to go having overseen 90/92 calendar year form. His replacement has been a disaster. Small sample size but comparing this season alone, Jones is running at HALF the points that saw Ralph come 90th in professional English football.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Don’t they know Happy Valley is on FFS?!

Been banging on this morning about how it glorifies domestic violence this morning. If people watch it then it means they will think domestic violence is normal 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I normally prefer to be patient and give people a chance to prove themselves and I was even in the “be careful what you wish for” with Ralph !

Unfortunately with this guy his arrogance supersedes all other considerations. It’s all about him and his constant use of the word “I” rather than “us” tells you everything !

He seems to think that relating his experience at Luton is impressive but actually only makes him look “small time” in my eyes !!

He’s the last person I’d like to get stuck with in a pub discussion as I’d find him cocky and irritating !

So, personality coupled with lack of proper football pedigree singles him out for the sack right now…

We can see why Rasmus and he got on, can't we! Both know-it-all's.

I voted for him to go. 

I thought we’d turned a corner after the Man City/Everton wins but we’ve gone backwards again.

having the fan base onside is of such massive importance, the fact that 96% of saints fans want him gone is enough for me to say it’s time, regardless of my own thoughts. He’s never going to win them over now and the negativity is toxic to the point he has to go, it’s an untenable situation.

I also think Jones has completely lost his way, he’s tried to be to clever, changed the team around, played around with formations etc. 

if he’d come in, picked a formation and picked the best available players every match without chopping and changing I think we’d be better off.

that’s all we want from the next manager, come in, stick to a formation, stick to the same group of players, stick the best players in every game. Have a settled side and try and build momentum 

Edited by Dan Johnson

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

Today's the day then fellas, what time will the announcement be? 10am?

The sudden release of joy as this little scrote is kicked out might galvanise the squad and fans and give us the boost we need. Here's hoping...

Just had a text that Nat has locked himself in the trophy cabinet at St Mary’s and has swallowed the key. Until the fire brigade release him and he’s humanely tranquilised by a vet they can’t make the official announcement.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, whelk said:

What was the gist of the posts?

He arrived on here when Jones was appointed and when people suspected that he was Jones, he claimed that he was a Saints fan who'd lived in Luton for 40 years. His posts were all about what a great job he (Jones) was doing and then last night he became very bitter about how the fans had treated him, started rantiong emotionally about hate and misery, and said we'd be happy now.

• Haha 1

The fact its being reviewed after just over a month's worth of actual matches should be enough of a sign in itself.

The fans aren't happy (understatement)

The players aren't happy and are not winning.

Jones isn't happy and isnt winning and there has to be a concern for him on a human level too.

The metrics are shocking.

The Board seemingly aren't happy.

Review done. Decision made. For the sake of literally everyone.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Hopefully they can get him out on gross misconduct.

That could be the route they are going down, lot of legal stuff to do if that’s the case. Which may mean it may not be an early announcement this morning. 

• Like 1

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Just had a text that Nat has locked himself in the trophy cabinet at St Mary’s and has swallowed the key. Until the fire brigade release him and he’s humanely tranquilised by a vet they can’t make the official announcement.

Clearly nonsense...

...I mean, honestly, "Trophy Cabinet"? 🤪😜

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Polaroid Saint said:

Clearly nonsense...

...I mean, honestly, "Trophy Cabinet"? 🤪😜

Hey you need to do the stadium tour. There is a mini FA Cup in there. Frankly better to have fck all in it than some 8 inch thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dimplex said:

That could be the route they are going down, lot of legal stuff to do if that’s the case. Which may mean it may not be an early announcement this morning. 

If it's gross misconduct then you would suspend the person pending the outcome of your process. Particularly if there's a chance of harm to one of your employees. Whether that's Jones himself or someone else at the club.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

We'll look back on his tenure in years to come and have a good laugh about it. 

I thought that the moment the club released that training video of what he was saying on the mic. Such a bad move by the club and made him sound like a PE teacher right from the off. 

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!