Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What a great result first win there in 24 years I believe? Fair play to Nathan Jones, he must have felt the whole world was against him after the Forest game. Long way to go but things finally seem to be in tracks 

The Athletic football podcast had someone on there who knew Jones well and said very lazy and undeserved the criticism that has gone his way. Seemed to know his stuff and was saying how he had to adapt style when had to sell quick full-backs. Also said he thrives on siege mentality for the players. Can already see they seem to like him more than Ralph

Edited by whelk

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

He had a shocker. His touch is going to have to be a lot better. And maybe his choice of studs too. One concern for me is that he made no effort to track his man on one occasion, allowing him to get to the byeline and cross unopposed which could have cost us on another day. Maybe he's one of those that is good going forward but not running back. Something to keep our eye on.

Just listened to Jones post match and he said he was poor, also reminded that he’s 20, just off a plane from Argentina and with 1 day training. Could question why play him at all, but Jones seems keen to get minutes quickly in both him and Osric so they can make a quicker impact. Risky, but if we truly believe in their quality then makes sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Okay, I’ll rephrase, he’s currently shit for this level. Nowhere near good enough. 

Lucky we didn’t concede a second from his pathetic attempt to come and collect the ball. 

Absolutely no better than McCarthy and significantly worse than Forster. 

Fuck me, Forster is getting better with each day that passes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think I’ve done that, but to be fair we needed JWP to save the day again. I’m not so certain NJ got it right although I suspect he’ll claim full credit.

Really??? Gets the blame when it goes wrong but gets no credit when it goes right....three times in a week.....🙄

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Just listened to Jones post match and he said he was poor, also reminded that he’s 20, just off a plane from Argentina and with 1 day training. Could question why play him at all, but Jones seems keen to get minutes quickly in both him and Osric so they can make a quicker impact. Risky, but if we truly believe in their quality then makes sense.

Sure people were screaming at HT why we didnt have both our new signings straight in from the start 🤦🏽‍♂️. You'd think it was sunday league with the expectations that players can just jump straight into a team without getting up to speed with patterns/shape/movement etc. Especially a kid just off the plane

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Glad it wasn't just me. Let's hope it was just nerves and not quite being up to speed of the game and coping with the conditions.

I'm a firm believer in playing new signings immediately, especially if they play in positions that don't require a whole lot of `drilling' to understand what's required. I do think there was a period near the end where our shape was all over the place, not helped by Alcaraz. But I think, having settled on this 4-2-3-1 formation that shifts to a 5-3-1 (is that right?) all the players might need a refresher as to what their role is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d say they look pretty united as a group.

It looks to me like Jones has been getting the senior players to buy in. As a result team spirit is clearly building and for a provincial club like Saints that is essential for us to be competitive in this league. Last time we had that was probably under Poch and Koeman. Fair play to NJ, genuinely, and this gives us a chance to develop some momentum. A win against Villa - they looked very beatable yesterday - and the church of Nathan will convert a good many former non-believers. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

It looks to me like Jones has been getting the senior players to buy in. As a result team spirit is clearly building and for a provincial club like Saints that is essential for us to be competitive in this league. Last time we had that was probably under Poch and Koeman. Fair play to NJ, genuinely, and this gives us a chance to develop some momentum. A win against Villa - they looked very beatable yesterday - and the church of Nathan will convert a good many former non-believers. 

what does this mean?

• Like 1

Well done boys. Would have said a week ago you were taking the mick having beaten a decent city b side and Everton. There’s still an awful lot to do - we are still odds on to go down with the bookies -  but dog in like this and we won’t. Crowd need to get begind the team, make SMS a proper bear pit to help and they might just about make it. Well done to jones as well. I did not think he was the right man and  the jury is still out but judge him on the results and the performance and early days admittedly they are on the up. Well done to the te and the staff. And Everton are now bricking it which is always nice 😊 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, whelk said:

The Athletic football podcast had someone on there who knew Jones well and said very lazy and undeserved the criticism that has gone his way. Seemed to know his stuff and was saying how he had to adapt style when had to sell quick full-backs. Also said he thrives on siege mentality for the players. Can already see they seem to like him more than Ralph

Yes that’s a good podcast Nathan comments at approx 15mins

1 hour ago, Chez said:

He had a shocker. His touch is going to have to be a lot better. And maybe his choice of studs too. One concern for me is that he made no effort to track his man on one occasion, allowing him to get to the byeline and cross unopposed which could have cost us on another day. Maybe he's one of those that is good going forward but not running back. Something to keep our eye on.

I didn't see the passage of play you mention, so can't pass judgement. 

However, I did see him make 2 pretty important clearances, 1 as the last defender at the back post, and another that was going in but for his header.

He also seemed to read the game well, was on hand to tap in had Pickford spilled a long range shot from JWP. 

• Like 3

A few weeks ago there were quite a few on here slagging off JWP when the team were really struggling. I defended him at the time as he was the only player giving his all and trying to hold the team together. Quality always shines though. He just needed some quality around him and now you see how important he is. But do I hope  some of the bell wits on here are eating humble pie… as I likely will do if jones can really turn this around.

• Like 5

So, now we've all calmed down a bit...

A fantastic win - fairly even teams (Everton really not great)...good game...for once, we rode our luck and the result was just what we needed (and fair to cancel out the result at home). Honestly, could have gone the other way if the one that hit the bar went in - that was when I just felt the the luck could run our way today. Onana was a beast for them in midfield - he'd have been the story if things had gone Everton's way.

Fair play to NJ and the team - I have been heavily critical before this week and confess I was in the 'fix this mistake quickly camp'. Now I'm in the ...'wow, take it back, would be delighted to eat humble pie every week for the rest of the season if it keeps us up' camp. Certainly looks like he has the team behind him. 

We could and probably should have won by a bigger margin in the end - our lack of ruthless breakaway killer instinct/composure/finisher showed. My observations FWIW:

JWP - two brilliant bits of skill made all the difference...like him playing further forward...that said, hink he can play better than he did today, looked tired

KWP - not at his best today, looked tired

CC - very solid...better in defensive role than creative move it forward quickly...but we need defenders that can defend!

Lyanco - another good performance, positive, aggressive but controlled

Edozie -  obviously talented, think he's better as an impact sub against a tired defense

Che - did well as hold-up and lay-off master...always better when he has someone to play off him in close support...two good assists, could have been more

Alcaraz - didn't think he was as bad as everyone else seems to think...showed he's going to be good I think...fast, aggressive, foot-forward. Literally just off the plane so surprised he played

Dialo - really not up to it I don't think

Ely - please will someone explain to me why he continues to hold down a starting place? I just don't get him. Think he's slow and lacks courage, flair or finish. Not terrible, but bang average.

Bazunu - looks very nervous...needs to build up confidence...command his box, come for crosses - punch or catch corners near the six-yard box...will get better as we win games and hopefully keep some clean sheets

Salisu - hmm...blows hot and cold...not great first half, very good second half

Adam Armstrong - thought he was really good in the new 'Shane Long' role (harry opposition defences and run everywhere even if you're not likely to score...get occasional bonus goal or two!

Lavia - obviously talented but early yellow card took the edge off his superpower

No S. Armstrong on the bench even - is he injured?

You can see NJ's strategy is to keep high energy and is not afraid to bring fresh legs on, so we will need good options from the bench to mix things up...

Now to beat Villa at home. Just watched the highlights from their Leeds game and they were super lucky to win that - Martinez made a couple of incredible saves.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, santolijador said:

However, I did see him make 2 pretty important clearances, 1 as the last defender at the back post, and another that was going in but for his header.

He also seemed to read the game well, was on hand to tap in had Pickford spilled a long range shot from JWP. 

He did misplace a fair few passes, but you can put that down to debut nerves in a new league/country in quite a heated game. With a bit of composure he makes those passes and I can see him being solid. Agree with the two blocks and the reactions from Che I think and DCC after to congratulate him. That and the post match celebrations with everyone and NJ suggest they're all buying in and supporting each other. 

• Like 3

I went to the game. It was difficult to play today the wind and rain were changing direction all the time. 

I thought JWP was brilliant today. He was a handful all game. Thought he was everywhere. Caleta Car and Lyanco were so big and strong in the tackle. KWP really ran at them. We had two or three one on ones with their keeper. Pickford made some good saves. 

it was quite hostile first half and their scally fans were giving verbals to us after they scored so revenge was so so sweet. 

their away end is disgraceful by the way. Shouldn’t be aloud. 

Happy for Jones and the team. They are really playing for him. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Saintscummer said:

I went to the game. It was difficult to play today the wind and rain were changing direction all the time. 

I thought JWP was brilliant today. He was a handful all game. Thought he was everywhere. Caleta Car and Lyanco were so big and strong in the tackle. KWP really ran at them. We had two or three one on ones with their keeper. Pickford made some good saves. 

it was quite hostile first half and their scally fans were giving verbals to us after they scored so revenge was so so sweet. 

Is their away end dangerous, would you say?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, madge said:

A few weeks ago there were quite a few on here slagging off JWP when the team were really struggling. I defended him at the time as he was the only player giving his all and trying to hold the team together. Quality always shines though. He just needed some quality around him and now you see how important he is. But do I hope  some of the bell wits on here are eating humble pie… as I likely will do if jones can really turn this around.

And rightly so, he’d had a pretty poor first 1/3 of the season, he’s been good the last few weeks. 

There seems to be a school of thought on here that it’s somehow wrong to say when good players are playing badly, or when popular players don’t perform. Just because he’s been good the last few weeks doesn’t make those who said he wasn’t performing wrong, if anything it justifies their position that he is capable a lot more than he was producing 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Do their old bill still have those great big sticks? They used to whack you on the knuckles back when fences were all the rage.

31 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Yeah, he did clear those chances, but to be fair he was already there and could little else but, it didn't require him to chase back. 

You are spot on about him following in that long range shot. I noticed that too. As I say, I have a feeling he will use more energy going forward than back. Lots of players are like that, we just need to be careful about playing him in positions that the rely on his defensive diligence.

I'm really excited by this signing, but it wasn't a great debut. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why did Lavia go off by the way? Assume it wasn’t an injury and just that he’d played long enough like in midweek?

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I get the impression we are managing him - he was also on a yellow 

Aye, NJ said after the city game they planned to take him off after 60 minutes so seems they are giving him an hour over the last few games to ease back in, plus as above he was on a yellow. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I get the impression we are managing him - he was also on a yellow 

He didn't have the greatest game, so I don't think there was any reason he shouldn't have been subbed. Keeping him fit is going to be important, as he can really play that position. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Jones presser

Said we weren’t great in Forest game but didn’t ever really look in trouble.

Deserved win today.

Glowing praise for JWP.

Another reasonable press conference.

I thought he spoke well...i've been put off by some of his self-promoting stuff in previous interviews but it seems like he's hitting the balance far better in that one. I guess three results gives it's own affirmation and he's getting to know the players better so can be more accurate and candid about them. I'm warming to him!

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic