Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

A massive, massive game this Saturday and you sense we will certainly take the game to them.

Shame Lavia will be missing as he was quality against City.

Jones must pick an attacking team and DONT give them too much respect like we did vs Forest.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

A massive, massive game this Saturday and you sense we will certainly take the game to them.

Shame Lavia will be missing as he was quality against City.

Jones must pick an attacking team and DONT give them too much respect like we did vs Forest.

How comes Lavia is out?

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Is it confirmed that Lavia was actually injured?

i was assuming/hopingit was more of a tactical injury timeout, when he was always going to come off after an hour.

That’s what I’m hoping too. The lad was flipping brilliant tonight.

• Like 2

Depending on how they recover over the next couple of days, I don't see why we change it. We had it spot on tonight both tactically and personal wise.

Mara was excellent during that first half, pressing well, making good runs and showing some good physicality. He had good composure to keep hold of the ball as well, and obviously the finish was tidy as hell.

Adams in contrast struggled a bit when he came on I felt, it didn't stick (but that was somewhat due to City pushing a bit). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hawkswood said:

Sorry, to be clear, Jones said this after the match ? You get my concern I'm sure. I think he will be central to everything we do.

Yep, quote after the game.

agree, the guy is absolutely critical to everything we do. For an 18 year old that's insane, but the guy is a proper wonderkid to turn a FM phrase. He certainly won't be here for long.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep, quote after the game.

agree, the guy is absolutely critical to everything we do. For an 18 year old that's insane, but the guy is a proper wonderkid to turn a FM phrase. He certainly won't be here for long.

He certainly won't. That first touch of his is ridiculous. Reminds me of some of the recent greats like pirlo, xavi or iniesta where he receives the ball under pressure and with one touch or a drop of the shoulder finds himself with a yard or two of space to play the pass. Ridiculously talented.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

He certainly won't. That first touch of his is ridiculous. Reminds me of some of the recent greats like pirlo, xavi or iniesta where he receives the ball under pressure and with one touch or a drop of the shoulder finds himself with a yard or two of space to play the pass. Ridiculously talented.

He's got that little bit of star quality about him, the ability to make space with his touch when there is no space around him to start with. Not many can do that, only the elite guys.

I think we'll be looking back in a few years a little bit proud that he was once at Southampton, because he will go right to the top as long as he stays fully fit. It somewhat makes a mockery of City that they didn't feel he was ready, so they went and splurged £60m on Kalvin Phillips who Lavia just roasted all game.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He's got that little bit of star quality about him, the ability to make space with his touch when there is no space around him to start with. Not many can do that, only the elite guys.

I think we'll be looking back in a few years a little bit proud that he was once at Southampton, because he will go right to the top as long as he stays fully fit. It somewhat makes a mockery of City that they didn't feel he was ready, so they went and splurged £60m on Kalvin Phillips who Lavia just roasted all game.

The last player to come through Southampton and do that was Sadio Mane. Lavia has the ability to reach the same heights of Mane's fabulous career, perhaps even greater as he is just technically faultless.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

No coincidence our midfield looks way better already with him back nearing fitness. A lot resting on young shoulders.

2 minutes ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

The last player to come through Southampton and do that was Sadio Mane. Lavia has the ability to reach the same heights of Mane's fabulous career, perhaps even greater as he is just technically faultless.

I was thinking the same thing.  Although Mane was older than Lavia when he arrived under Koeman, and is a different style of player too.  Sometimes a player's star quality shows itself immediately, and Lavia is one of those players.

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Lavia is clearly going to the top.  Remarkable that he was sold (be it with a buy-back thing) and Phillips was brought in for £50m

Lavia has hardly played and still owned phillips for the entire game.  I just hope he stays 1 more season, but I doubt it...lets hope he stays fit for the rest of the season

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

I really hope we build on last night's performance. We have to be winning this game. 

Yes I agree but do not feel confident as I have seen Saints so many times be woeful after playing really well in their previous game.

I am not underating Saints performance at all but my friend a City Fan sent me a text Only one team in it! but we were shocking well done

7 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Bale too, before that. It’s sometimes a shame that we can’t hang onto these players a bit longer, but it’s also a privilege to see them in a Saints shirt, even if just for a season or two. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

Keep it exactly the same. Same XI, same formation, same aggressive, high-energy press. 

That was the best we’ve played in about two years. That side just played one of the best teams in the world off the park. Unless someone’s injured or so fatigued they can’t play, why would you change it?

Let them worry about us for a change (which, going by their forum, they now very much are, which is remarkable really when you think where we were a week ago). 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Keep it exactly the same. Same XI, same formation, same aggressive, high-energy press. 

That was the best we’ve played in about two years. That side just played one of the best teams in the world off the park. Unless someone’s injured or so fatigued they can’t play, why would you change it?

Let them worry about us for a change (which, going by their forum, they now very much are, which is remarkable really when you think where we were a week ago). 

This all day long.

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeh I think he could be the kind of player who is first choice for a club like Real Madrid in the future.

It's doubly baffling that he didn't go to the World Cup considering how pedestrian and ponderous Belgium's midfield was. 

---------------------------------

We need a PL win, two cup wins no doubt helps the confidence of the squad but getting a PL win is important as is getting off the bottom of the table.

If we play like that we should win, it's just Everton away never seems to go well, it's the same as Newcastle away, both clubs (until recently with Newcastle) that we should have a good chance of beating away but it never seems to happen, they get good luck, fluke some decisions etc. 

Edited by tajjuk

Leaving St Mary's last night there was a real buzz of optimism around, players looked like they had found their belief, only problem is this is at Goodison Park - it doesn't matter how good I side we have or how poor a run they are on we just do not win there, one of those things. 

52 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Get an early goal, the Everton crowd will be toxic.

Given Nathan Jones's bravado and comments I'm fully expecting us to win.

that's the spirit. Today is the time to refill that optimism balloon, before its inevitably burst at bloody Goodison. Bloody fed up of going up there are seeing us lose. This year lads, this year...

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Leaving St Mary's last night there was a real buzz of optimism around, players looked like they had found their belief, only problem is this is at Goodison Park - it doesn't matter how good I side we have or how poor a run they are on we just do not win there, one of those things. 

Yep. As sure as night follows day, you can be sure we will not win at Goodison. Nothing summed it up more than the game under Hughes where Davies scored an equaliser with that ridiculous deflected shot in the 97th minute. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Midlandsaint said:

I’d keep Mara in, I’m not convinced Adams scores the one Mara did

He doesn’t. He doesn’t make that run across the defender. 

Adams hold up play is great, but he’s not a natural striker / goal scorer. 

On the subject of his hold up play, I think he slows us down. We need pace on the counter attack. I’m not sure using him as a focal point gives us that. Without him last night, we used the wingers in behind a lot more. 

• Like 1

It seems like every year I tell myself this is the right time to break the Goodison jinx and every year we play better but somehow conspire to lose. If this season really is oppositeland as demonstrated by last nights performance versus City then can I have 3-0 to Saints, please?

12 hours ago, VictiAbNonem said:

We're bottom of the table, but only five points from thirteenth place

It shouldn't take long to turn things around if we carry on playing like we did tonight

Does anyone believe we will continue where we left off last night or simply return to type?  Hopefully we can but as saints fans we know the score... Excellence is usually followed by rubbish 

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Does anyone believe we will continue where we left off last night or simply return to type?  Hopefully we can but as saints fans we know the score... Excellence is usually followed by rubbish 

This is the acid test of a fabulous result. Can the team maintain the intensity and work rate for a league game. I have a horrible feeling that after JWP's comment about cup games being a welcome distraction, we will slip back into the horrible displays we have produced in the league. As much as I enjoyed last night, there is no question I would swap it for the points on Saturday 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This is the acid test of a fabulous result. Can the team maintain the intensity and work rate for a league game. I have a horrible feeling that after JWP's comment about cup games being a welcome distraction, we will slip back into the horrible displays we have produced in the league. As much as I enjoyed last night, there is no question I would swap it for the points on Saturday 

Me too I would swap a win in the league for beating city in the cup in a heartbeat 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic