Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

17 hours ago, nta786 said:

Haven't won at Goodison Park since 1997, got walloped 7-1 in 1996, and before that we last won back in April 1992 in the old First Division.

Awful record up there

Went up to Everton the season we stayed up at Swansea under hughes .. 0-0 1st half then for redmond to score a header 2nd half .. in injury time Instead of putting the ball in row z .. Bertrand thought he was Cafu and ultimately gave the ball away on Everton’s right wing .. ball fell to Tom Davies he hit it and ball deflected off of hoedt and into the net .. we could of stayed up that day but it rolled on to Swansea for gabbiadini to save our bacon .. we battered Everton 2nd half that day and was a cruel end and a very long journey home .

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

The difference is that Mara actually scored with his few contributions. He has a point to prove.
There is just no way in my view that Adams would have had the awareness and finishing ability to get that stunning goal against City.

Mara has to start.

You're probably right - Adams probably doesn't make that run and convert with the first time strike.    Could be a different game at Goodison though where Che's hold up play and strength is vital.   If he does start, he needs support from an A. Armstrong, Mara or Orsic.   Mara certainly deserves to be starting - but I won't slag off Jones if he opts for Adams.

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Was pleased to hear Iwobi was injured but apparently might play today

He's crap anyway. He epitomises the overpaid dross they have filled their squad with in recent years. Much like Redmond with us, he's had one purple patch with them a few years ago and has been extremely poor the rest of the time. 

Watch him come on as a sub and score the winner now I've said that.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's crap anyway. He epitomises the overpaid dross they have filled their squad with in recent years. Much like Redmond with us, he's had one purple patch with them a few years ago and has been extremely poor the rest of the time. 

Watch him come on as a sub and score the winner now I've said that.

You obviously don’t know any Everton fans. Many saying been their best player this season. He was crap for them initially 

Got up here last night, chatting to Evertonians the sense is that it’s likely to turn toxic very quickly. Apparently the ground half emptied after an hour against Brighton, so a good start could turn things in our favour.  And they have protests planned.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Got up here last night, chatting to Evertonians the sense is that it’s likely to turn toxic very quickly. Apparently the ground half emptied after an hour against Brighton, so a good start could turn things in our favour.  And they have protests planned.

Sounds like West Ham a few years back and look what happened.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, whelk said:

You obviously don’t know any Everton fans. Many saying been their best player this season. He was crap for them initially 

I have a close family connection to someone in their squad, but admittedly I haven't watched much of them this season because he's out on loan at the moment.

Iwobi was awful last season and rightly criticised by a lot of fans, so if he's been their best player this season then he's either had a miraculous turnaround in personal form, or it speaks volumes about the quality of the rest of their team.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's a tough ask but if we put out the team that overran City and put the same boosters in their pre match Red Bull then we may have "wins".

A long time since I looked forward to a match as much as this. I'll settle for a point at 0-0 but will be delighted with a 3-0 win

Yep, priority is not to lose, a win could change the trajectory of our season 

C'mon saints, prove me wrong. Countless instances in the past where we've come up against teams under massive pressure, enduring a terrible run or certain players hadnt scored in forever....and we've handed them an easy, confidence boosting win.

Get in their faces early just like Wednesday night, dont gift them any goals and we've a great chance of picking up a huge 3 points

Settling for a point sounds mad to me.

13 points at the half-way point of the season is relegation. 15 points and we are properly in the mix with other teams (but still, if I'm honest, still probably relegated).

We've already pissed away three games where we should have harvested points, say 5 or 6. Not zero.

At some point we actually have to win some games. That point being like now.

• Like 6

The bottom line is that we have to start winning league games very quickly if we are to have any hope of staying up. We wasted the Nottingham Forest game however many times Jones tries to claim we weren't that bad. The Brighton loss was acceptable although not the manner in which we allowed them to stroll to victory - they are a good side as recent results are proving. Fulham away we did ok but, having got so close to taking a point and possibly 3 should not have come away with nothing. Now, starting today we must begin chalking up wins although as It's Everton away I think a point would be acceptable. The performance against City was exceptional but this will be a different game and it is how we deal with the way Everton set up because they will likely want to keep things tight and make it a scrap so it'll be hard to play the same as we did on Wednesday. Jones must find a way of getting a performance in what will be a very tense affair. Let's see what he has up his sleeve.

Edited by saintant

10 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I see a few Everton fans let off fireworks right outside the Southampton team hotel in the early hours of the morning. Really hope we can turn these w*nkers over. 

They've done it to a few teams apparently. This answers the question I awoke to - what can Everton fans do today to make me dislike them and their club more?

25 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I see a few Everton fans let off fireworks right outside the Southampton team hotel in the early hours of the morning. Really hope we can turn these w*nkers over. 

Well that's not very sporting. Hopefully it has inverse consequences for Everton and riles our players up into a great performance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, coalman said:

They've done it to a few teams apparently. This answers the question I awoke to - what can Everton fans do today to make me dislike them and their club more?

Hopefully all our fireworks will be on the pitch. Nothing would give me, and many others I suspect, more satisfaction than turning these over today.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, coalman said:

Didn't a Swansea Hotel almost give our team food poisoning or something before we played them under Hughes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Settling for a point sounds mad to me.

13 points at the half-way point of the season is relegation. 15 points and we are properly in the mix with other teams (but still, if I'm honest, still probably relegated).

We've already pissed away three games where we should have harvested points, say 5 or 6. Not zero.

At some point we actually have to win some games. That point being like now.

But some of the forum geniuses told us a couple of weeks ago we shouldn’t be thinking about relegation until April. 

lose today and we will be at least 4 points adrift of safety possibly 5. It won’t look good. We have to win really 

Edited by Turkish

Here is how I think the game will pan out today 

we will frustrate them early on, take the lead the mood will become toxic, Everton fans turn on their team, we take the lead. 

we then make a silly error to give them a way back into the game, suddenly the mood turns and the crowd get massively behind them, we wilt under the heat, Everton equalise then score a late winner after peppering our goal for the last 15 minutes. 

The lads bemoan our luck and they send out Adams to say how we can’t afford to give late goals away. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we will frustrate them early on, take the lead the mood will become toxic, Everton fans turn on their team, we take the lead. 

we then make a silly error to give them a way back into the game, suddenly the mood turns and the crowd get massively behind them, we wilt under the heat, Everton equalise then score a late winner after peppering our goal for the last 15 minutes. 

The lads bemoan our luck and they send out Adams to say how we can’t afford to give late goals away. 

This sounds like most of our trips to Goodison.

I think (hope) the players will be so incensed by the fireworks that they'll be on it from minute one. Saints win 3-1 and Lampard fired by Monday morning.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

isn't that pretty much the script for every game we play at Goodison? 

Even when we've had a good side and in form, we have failed. We have neither, so chances are very slim. Still, if you don't have hope a few hours before the game, then you may as well give up.

Excited to see if we can get the tactics and performance right again. If we win, then the world is going to seem so much brighter. Lose and we are back to realising our fate is relegation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Read that Nat said he was staying up to 3am researching Everton, so part of the peak performance drive might include controlled sleep deprivation for the team. Brecon Beacons stylee.

Scouser wankers, though, it was ever thus…

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

isn't that pretty much the script for every game we play at Goodison? 

Even when we've had a good side and in form, we have failed. We have neither, so chances are very slim. Still, if you don't have hope a few hours before the game, then you may as well give up.

Excited to see if we can get the tactics and performance right again. If we win, then the world is going to seem so much brighter. Lose and we are back to realising our fate is relegation. 

Yes, which makes it so entirely, boringly, depressingly predictable

Edited by Turkish

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Today begins a new era!

Think (and hope) we hit rock bottom last week - both players and fans. A fairly large venting from the fans / and probably from the squad internally as well based on the reaction). The last 2 games have shown the players and fans what the team can achieve and the players will certainly want to grasp that and run with it. 

I think we'll in today. 

58 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Video of the fireworks.

I seem to remember Swansea trying similar tactics with a hotel booking, how did that work out?

8 whole seconds of fireworks.  Seems about right as I doubt they could afford to buy enough to last longer.  Probably weren't even noticed by the team.  On a side note, if that is the hotel, why are we staying in something that looks like a city centre Premier Inn?

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

8 whole seconds of fireworks.  Seems about right as I doubt they could afford to buy enough to last longer.  Probably weren't even noticed by the team.  On a side note, if that is the hotel, why are we staying in something that looks like a city centre Premier Inn?

35 minutes ago, iansums said:

They stuffed us 3-0, at the height of the fan’s protests.

Well remembered. For a protest there's nothing more powerful than winning because it allows the protest to be about bigger issues/wider context rather than "we lost".

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic