Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

9 minutes ago, dronskisaint said:

I thought he spoke well...i've been put off by some of his self-promoting stuff in previous interviews but it seems like he's hitting the balance far better in that one. I guess three results gives it's own affirmation and he's getting to know the players better so can be more accurate and candid about them. I'm warming to him!

Seems like he’s learning to me. Fair enough. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, dronskisaint said:

I thought he spoke well...i've been put off by some of his self-promoting stuff in previous interviews but it seems like he's hitting the balance far better in that one. I guess three results gives it's own affirmation and he's getting to know the players better so can be more accurate and candid about them. I'm warming to him!

I liked his comment on caleta carr. paraphrasing: Southampton bought him for a certain reason. He was more interested in playing football rather than defending, I wanted him to be more aggressive and he is, once you get him to do the basics he’s a good player. 

// Shows the difference in this team atm, we need to be better defensively, don’t give a sh*t about how good you are playing out from the back is nonsense and (majority of the time) a waste of time. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sfcphilc said:

Can people start to pry themselves off Nathan Jones's back now?

I wasn't a fan of the appointment or the first few results but he's obviously turned a corner and the players are fully on board.

We need to lift this negativity and get behind NJ and the team if we're to get out of this mess. 

Calm down we need a few more weeks like this one before we can get ahead of ourselves. Plenty  more weeks of must win ahead,so  well done for today lads ,rode our luck a little at times but PHEW got there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Sure people were screaming at HT why we didnt have both our new signings straight in from the start 🤦🏽‍♂️. You'd think it was sunday league with the expectations that players can just jump straight into a team without getting up to speed with patterns/shape/movement etc. Especially a kid just off the plane

Odd giving a debut to  players when they have  still got jet lag for  such a crunch match, and with such a hostile atmosphere from the home fans, and death threats at the directors.  

One thing I did like today were the two ‘professional’ fouls from Lavia and Diallo that stopped really dangerous breaks. We have needed to be more horrible for years. NJ is clearly a prickly character and it wouldn’t be a bad thing for that to rub off on this group. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Ely - please will someone explain to me why he continues to hold down a starting place? I just don't get him. Think he's slow and lacks courage, flair or finish. Not terrible, but bang average.

Jones explains why he likes Ely in his post match press conference. In summary: his versatility (he played in 3 or 4 different positions today?)

I'm not Ely's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can kinda see why managers like him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Jones explains why he likes Ely in his post match press conference. In summary: his versatility (he played in 3 or 4 different positions today?)

I'm not Ely's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can kinda see why managers like him.

He plays in 3 or 4 positions yes but isn't very good in any of them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

As @egg and I were saying. First half we was effectively playing as a wing back. 

Unfortunately, some are so blinded by their opinion of him, they wouldn’t see that and just brandished him as shit. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

Jones presser

Said we weren’t great in Forest game but didn’t ever really look in trouble.

Deserved win today.

Glowing praise for JWP.

Another reasonable press conference.

Interesting comments on Caleta-Carr, he’s a defender, needed to be more aggressive and defend, not trying to be a footballer. That’s exactly what a lot of us said as being some of the problems we had under Ralph, rather than buying/picking players who can defend properly first it always seemed to be about if they could play out rather than defend. Thumbs up from me for that.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

As @egg and I were saying. First half we was effectively playing as a wing back. 

Unfortunately, some are so blinded by their opinion of him, they wouldn’t see that and just brandished him as shit. 

If you’re winning he’s great, but when you need to score goals and move the ball quickly he’s quite frankly shite and ineffective

2 minutes ago, Midlandsaint said:

If you’re winning he’s great, but when you need to score goals and move the ball quickly he’s quite frankly shite and ineffective

I don’t disagree, FWIW. But today he had a thankless task. I think he actually done okay today. 

I can see why he starts

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t disagree, FWIW. But today he had a thankless task. I think he actually done okay today. 

I can see why he starts

If he does start I would play him in a deeper role in the centre with Lavia instead of Diallo allowing JWP to push further up as per the last few games, also allows a more creative player out wide too. Maybe not now we’ve signed Alcaraz

Prowsie has certainly answered his critics today, I always thought he would do well in the no 10 role in a 4-2-3-1. The midfield three of Lavia, Diallo and him looks like the way forward.

Fair play to Jones, mental turnaround since the Forest debacle. Hopefully we can keep progressing and it’s not jus5 a new manager bounce thing. Get a striker in this window and we have a decent chance of staying up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

JWP gets stick for no reason. 

He is an unreal footballer and we are so lucky to have him. 

Up the fuckin saints

Yes, it's strange some on this site criticise him for staying here. 'No ambition' they say or 'no top club wants him. We seem to discount the idea that he might actually love the club and want tom be loyal through thick and thin. Surprising in today's world but JWP shows it can happen,

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aintforever said:

What a bunch of cunts. If anyone deserves to go down it is them lot.

It’s only you guardian readers that are pissing your pants about this. It’s not rocket science why they’re protesting, only thick cunts don’t seem to get it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Our

boys and Nath loving life!

I love seeing scenes like this, fucking love it.

it’s clear from today that manager and players are completely together, prowsey pushing Jones in front of the fans to get praise shows the players want us to acknowledge Jones and get behind him. 

Bottom of the league but the feel good factor around the club is back, we’ve turned a corner.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

So, now we've all calmed down a bit...

A fantastic win - fairly even teams (Everton really not great)...good game...for once, we rode our luck and the result was just what we needed (and fair to cancel out the result at home). Honestly, could have gone the other way if the one that hit the bar went in - that was when I just felt the the luck could run our way today. Onana was a beast for them in midfield - he'd have been the story if things had gone Everton's way.

Fair play to NJ and the team - I have been heavily critical before this week and confess I was in the 'fix this mistake quickly camp'. Now I'm in the ...'wow, take it back, would be delighted to eat humble pie every week for the rest of the season if it keeps us up' camp. Certainly looks like he has the team behind him. 

We could and probably should have won by a bigger margin in the end - our lack of ruthless breakaway killer instinct/composure/finisher showed. My observations FWIW:

JWP - two brilliant bits of skill made all the difference...like him playing further forward...that said, hink he can play better than he did today, looked tired

KWP - not at his best today, looked tired

CC - very solid...better in defensive role than creative move it forward quickly...but we need defenders that can defend!

Lyanco - another good performance, positive, aggressive but controlled

Edozie -  obviously talented, think he's better as an impact sub against a tired defense

Che - did well as hold-up and lay-off master...always better when he has someone to play off him in close support...two good assists, could have been more

Alcaraz - didn't think he was as bad as everyone else seems to think...showed he's going to be good I think...fast, aggressive, foot-forward. Literally just off the plane so surprised he played

Dialo - really not up to it I don't think

Ely - please will someone explain to me why he continues to hold down a starting place? I just don't get him. Think he's slow and lacks courage, flair or finish. Not terrible, but bang average.

Bazunu - looks very nervous...needs to build up confidence...command his box, come for crosses - punch or catch corners near the six-yard box...will get better as we win games and hopefully keep some clean sheets

Salisu - hmm...blows hot and cold...not great first half, very good second half

Adam Armstrong - thought he was really good in the new 'Shane Long' role (harry opposition defences and run everywhere even if you're not likely to score...get occasional bonus goal or two!

Lavia - obviously talented but early yellow card took the edge off his superpower

No S. Armstrong on the bench even - is he injured?

You can see NJ's strategy is to keep high energy and is not afraid to bring fresh legs on, so we will need good options from the bench to mix things up...

Now to beat Villa at home. Just watched the highlights from their Leeds game and they were super lucky to win that - Martinez made a couple of incredible saves.

Totally agree with Ely. Just doesn’t close down fully when pressing and is too passive for this league.

Absorbing game where the technical skill of JWP and a slice of luck along the way provided those three precious points.  A couple of things you have to say about our Manager....he's willing to make tactical and personnel changes when they're needed rather than when the clock ticks over to the hour mark or the 88th minute.  It's also obvious he has buy-in from the players; those two differences from the last year or so of Ralph could be the difference the Club needs to stay up.

My only criticism of him today was the starting set up.   Playing a front four of Adams, Edozie, Elyounoussi and JWP meant that Adams was effectively isolated and the speed and run of Armstrong and Djenepo to support Mara v Man City changed to an unbalanced attack with the leaden footed Elyounoussi bogging things down.  That changed immediately when Armstrong came on - leaving Elyounoussi on until the 85th minute was Jones only error today.  

Once again Caleta-Car appealed to me as our best, along with those two superb goals and work rate of JWP.    Caleta-Car has the poise, positional sense and leadership the defence has needed.    Lyanco did his job well again and Salisu's last 60 minutes were very good.  I thought he handled left back well and then slotted into the three CB set up which was an excellent tactical change by Jones late in the game.

Walker-Peters once again showed his class and versatility; Diallo wasn't as effective today and Lavia came in for attention from Everton's two class midfielders Onana and Gueye.    Edozie provided a threat, and where was the VAR check today when he seemed to be pushed in the back inside the area?    Adams showed his worth with strong hold up play and brought others into the play with off loads - he really needs a striking partner with a clinical finish.       It's been a great week to be a Saint's supporter.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Enjoyed that. I'm definitely warming to this Jones fella :)

Me too, so worried after Forest, then the interviews that followed. Like the football, the interviews have been better since and I’m really warming to him. He is a bright bloke and clearly identifies issues in game and feels confident he can adjust. He seems to be relishing the challenge.

Sounded much more like a premier league manager. Amazing what 3 points can do for everyone.

• Like 3

Great write up on trip advisor by the SFC media team on the hotel the team stopped at after the Scousers tried to disrupt the nights sleep 🤣

Rooms were brilliant, beds were incredibly comfy, and the blackout blinds and triple glazing... oh wow! You could literally have a firework display going on outside your window and you'd never know it. Best night's sleep we've ever had!

"In fact, the only rocket we noticed all weekend was the one James Ward-Prowse sent into the net in the 78th minute at Goodison. We'll definitely be returning again."

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, WestcountrySaint said:

Watching back on match of the day and one of the most pleasing things for me is the smart fouls, finally feels like we've got some bite again and some characters that are recognising what is needed to win a game. 

Definitely, it's been lacking for a while. 

Lavia back has been huge for our change in form, not only is he a very good player but he's released Ward Prowse to play further forward and he's now having a big impact on games , we know our strikers are not prolific so rely on goals from midfield as well 

• Like 1

I still don't think Nathan Jones is any kind of long term solution for saints but he has earned his chance over the last couple of games and we seem to be finally heading in the right direction so yes he has my support for the rest of the season it's clear any kind of managerial change now is too late and would be too disruptive... I don't like the guy he comes across as smug and opinionated but I don't have to like him if he gets results and the last likeable manager didn't exactly set the world on fire 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I still don't think Nathan Jones is any kind of long term solution for saints but he has earned his chance over the last couple of games and we seem to be finally heading in the right direction so yes he has my support for the rest of the season it's clear any kind of managerial change now is too late and would be too disruptive... I don't like the guy he comes across as smug and opinionated but I don't have to like him if he gets results and the last likeable manager didn't exactly set the world on fire 

I don't like the constant praising of himself in press conferences - "I thought we were tactically brilliant, me putting Alvarez on was a brave decision in the circumstances". 

• Haha 2

Just now, alehouseboys said:

Is no one going to change the thread title or am I missing the 'joke' ?

spacer.png

Not only this one but we also have a "Villa Build Uo" thread title.

Mods need to up their game like the team. Otherwise I'm going to organise a sit in protest before gathering a mob in the street to stop their cars and have a go at them while filming it for social media.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Mods need to up their game like the team. Otherwise I'm going to organise a sit in protest before gathering a mob in the street to stop their cars and have a go at them while filming it for social media.

I think Lighhouse should publish his mobile number so posters can give 24/7 feedback 

15 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not forgetting to set off fireworks outside Lighthouse's bedroom window.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Didnt see the game hence our win but how did Alcazar fair ? I see he came on in the 61st min.

I assume he was like what the fuck is happening as he dealt with the speed, agressiveness and lack of sleep/training.

I liked the look of him. Was looking for the ball. There was one little passage not long after he came on where he picked the ball up out wide, moved it inside quickly and made a great run into the box in a good position. He didn't get on the ball much, but he was busy and put a proper shift in. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
15 minutes ago, whelk said:

I think Lighhouse should publish his mobile number so posters can give 24/7 feedback 

I'll go and grab one of those "Dial X for horny grandmas" stickers from the nearest phone box and post that. Incidentally, whilst we're doing typographical errors, it turns out 'ligh' is an old Celtic word meaning to lick.

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Didnt see the game hence our win but how did Alcazar fair ? I see he came on in the 61st min.

I assume he was like what the fuck is happening as he dealt with the speed, agressiveness and lack of sleep/training.

Certainly looked to get involved. Not much come off for him, but looks to have a bit about him. Last half hour was a bit frenzied, mind.

Made an important block late on, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't like the constant praising of himself in press conferences - "I thought we were tactically brilliant, me putting Alvarez on was a brave decision in the circumstances". 

Well I guess it's good to be confident in your decisions but it's a fine balance between being confident and coming across as smug and self congratulatory and saying that you've handled yourself impeccably with all the abuse your way and just being a bit stand offish and confrontational to fans, I guess it's refreshing to have someone who doesn't seem to necessarily care about coming across well though 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1