Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Okay, I’ll rephrase, he’s currently shit for this level. Nowhere near good enough. 

Lucky we didn’t concede a second from his pathetic attempt to come and collect the ball. 

Absolutely no better than McCarthy and significantly worse than Forster. 

I agree apart from the Forster bit. Forster was awful for his entire tenure with us. Go and look at how many shots he actually faced during that run where he kept a bunch of clean sheets. He saved less than 50% of his shots. A vastly overrated keeper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I have a close family connection to someone in their squad, but admittedly I haven't watched much of them this season because he's out on loan at the moment.

Iwobi was awful last season and rightly criticised by a lot of fans, so if he's been their best player this season then he's either had a miraculous turnaround in personal form, or it speaks volumes about the quality of the rest of their team.

Looks like it was the latter then. Just found this nugget on GOT...

"When Iwobi is the 'star' the standard has been set."

Edited by Sheaf Saint

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

You can thank me for that win, had people come round to visit and didnt get the hint to fuck off so missed the 1st game we played this season.

Will go back to beginning of the match comments and just make of note of who made themselves look like tits 🙂

No more league games for you CC, until we lose.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chez said:

What, allow Gordon to run straight past him, cos he's almost as slow as Danny Fox?

Unless you're suggesting that Orsic should have come on and covered the left side defensively, your point makes no sense in the context of my post. 

Spare a thought for the Toffees fans. Forced to miss a night of sleep for an impromptu fireworks display then forced to stay behind protesting their board who aren't safely able to watch the game in person. Not sure which thought, mind you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I agree apart from the Forster bit. Forster was awful for his entire tenure with us. Go and look at how many shots he actually faced during that run where he kept a bunch of clean sheets. He saved less than 50% of his shots. A vastly overrated keeper.

Missed the Arsenal win then.

• Haha 2

I’ve been pretty sceptical about Nathan Jones’s management; but, great credit to him, he’s presided over a fantastic week for us Saints’ fans. Moving JWP further forward has been an astute move and I’ve loved to see the passion of the manager, players and fans at the end of the matches. Feels like we are moving in a positive direction.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Halo Stickman said:

I’ve been pretty sceptical about Nathan Jones’s management; but, great credit to him, he’s presided over a fantastic week for us Saints’ fans. Moving JWP further forward has been an astute move and I’ve loved to see the passion of the manager, players and fans at the end of the matches. Feels like we are moving in a positive direction.

This. Credit where due. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Looks like it was the latter then. Just found this nugget on GOT...

"When Iwobi is the 'star' the standard has been set."

I must admit, I wasn't expecting to see Iwobi. He was stretched off with Oxygen in the last game, talk of broken bones and all sorts.

3 minutes ago, Halo Stickman said:

What is critically important with these 3 straight wins is NJ can point to the players during training and say “see, this is working”. The players will buy in, listen, and not tune him out. Everybody needs to be rowing in the same direction  

it is a cliche, but belief is a powerful thing in this league. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's ridiculously untrue. 

Last season he saved 67.3% of shots on target. 

Season before that he saved 71% of shots on target (admittedly only in 8 games). 

Season before that he was out on loan. 

Season before that he saved 69.1% of shots on target.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Love the pre match and first half comments on here. Page 8 is particularly funny. 

Thought we played pretty well, the better team until they scored and then scored a deserved equaliser.

Ward Prowse incredible. Great goal, beautiful free kick to win it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

What is critically important with these 3 straight wins is NJ can point to the players during training and say “see, this is working”. The players will buy in, listen, and not tune him out. Everybody needs to be rowing in the same direction  

I don't think we played brilliantly today, but we did look like we were all pulling in the right direction. The confidence a win or three brings can not be underestimated too and hopefully performances will continue to improve. We will need to be better next week, as there won't be many worse sides than Everton.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's ridiculously untrue. 

Last season he saved 67.3% of shots on target. 

Season before that he saved 71% of shots on target (admittedly only in 8 games). 

Season before that he was out on loan. 

Season before that he saved 69.1% of shots on target.  

not sure I want to get involved in the GK argument, but percentage of stops seems pretty meaningless. Is there not a xS stat? Don't answer that.

Edited by Chez

56 minutes ago, coalman said:

Spare a thought for the Toffees fans. Forced to miss a night of sleep for an impromptu fireworks display then forced to stay behind protesting their board who aren't safely able to watch the game in person. Not sure which thought, mind you.

If they want sympathy they can look in a dictionary, they will find it between shit and syphilis

Edited by hackedoff
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Ive got paramount + through sky, how do u find the links for games, not at home at mo so sorry if its stupid question

Not a stupid question at all. They’re maybe a better way, but this what I did: 1. VPN established through Mexico 2. Google search Paramount + Premier league 3. Top result Mexican Paramount+ then click ( it recognised my login already, but I had logged into Paramount before changing VPN) and scroll to match.

Good picture on iPad with, as egg said, Spanish commentary - but very enthusiastic they were!

Great win for so many reasons, 6 pointer, win at Goodison, good for morale, a comeback win, third win in a row (we haven't done that much since the Koeman days), shows JWP better further forward, stops us being cut adrift etc etc etc

I didn't see the game but I've always liked 4231 formation since the Poch days so if that's what Jones has settled on then I'm happy.

Well done Jones and the lads. We couldn't have predicted this after that dreadful Forest performance. Keep it up with a point or better against Villa and then we can get to the Cup games full of confidence.

• Like 2

We looked solid for the most part and played some decent stuff through the middle again (having 3 in midfield has made such a difference). But I hope we replace Adams in the starting line up soon, not least for the fact that it would hopefully remove some of the temptation to just launch it at him. He did well with the assist for the first goal, but Everton backline were running back towards their goal, and the header wasn't contested. When he was up against their CBs he got very little out of them aside from a few that skimmed off his head straight into the air. He does some good things when he comes deep, but I think our attack would be transformed if we had a focal point with more mobility and anticipation (and the ability to finish, obvs).

Alcaraz looked nervy and I was surprised he came on, but I guess the Lavia yellow was a concern. Likewise, I'd be surprised if Armstrong has anything over Orsic in terms of pace or workrate, so hopefully we'll start seeing him as an option on the left soon if he isn't starting.

If we do secure a starting striker and our other additions become established in the first XI, we could be a totally different proposition without weak links like Adams, Elyounoussi and Diallo in the lineup.

28 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Or perhaps the players can point to NJ and say the same thing?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What a great result first win there in 24 years I believe? Fair play to Nathan Jones, he must have felt the whole world was against him after the Forest game. Long way to go but things finally seem to be in tracks 

Fully agree. If he keeps us up, he will have fully justified his appointment. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Alcaraz looked nervy

He had a shocker. His touch is going to have to be a lot better. And maybe his choice of studs too. One concern for me is that he made no effort to track his man on one occasion, allowing him to get to the byeline and cross unopposed which could have cost us on another day. Maybe he's one of those that is good going forward but not running back. Something to keep our eye on.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic