Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

That could have been a smoother end of the game. But we were so keyed up, we didn;t take any advantage of breakaways, with Everton pushing up.

We worked tirelessly for that win. Seeing AA race across the park, closing opponents down, closing that space, makes things a lot easier. Adams did a lot of good hold up play. He's not a finisher though, and the club are now nearly half way through the window, and we still really need a recognised (and very capable) striker.

JWP looks to have clicked with NJ, and has been the key factor in us getting this win. He won;t be able to do that every week, and we need someone who can take the chances that hopefully our other new signings will begin to create.

A super week though. But still bottom, and they ahve to know that it's now required every week, as there's no room for any complacency in our position. Good to see NJ break the league duck, and hopefully that win will give everyone some belief, in the way that the lighter pressures of the cup ties did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

I recommend paramount+. £35 for 12 months. Decent TV, and all PL games behind a VPN from Mexico paramount (Spanish commentary though) and all fa cup games behind a VPN from Australia Paramount. Champions league from Oz too apparently. No issues or glitches. 

Thanks egg, that’s a great tip - have paramount+ through sky and worked great

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Here is how I think the game will pan out today 

we will frustrate them early on, take the lead the mood will become toxic, Everton fans turn on their team, we take the lead. 

we then make a silly error to give them a way back into the game, suddenly the mood turns and the crowd get massively behind them, we wilt under the heat, Everton equalise then score a late winner after peppering our goal for the last 15 minutes. 

The lads bemoan our luck and they send out Adams to say how we can’t afford to give late goals away. 

Spot on.

Apart from the teams, like.

• Haha 1

Absolutely huge result that. Get a striker in this window and we stand a really good chance of getting out of this, incredible that despite how shit we’ve been we’re not cut adrift yet.

Can’t believe we’ve finally broke our Goodison hoodoo. Even more enjoyable after the way their fans behaved when they took Koeman from us to see them struggling like they are. Boo fucking hoo.

Need to get something against Villa now, hopefully the team feel the weight lifting from their shoulders at St Mary’s now.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I really really like Caleta-Car

He had a great game. He always seems to get his feet set right, so his clearances from whipped in crosses are never sliced. My one gripe is he doesn't seem to dominate defensive set pieces. I guess he cant be everywhere, but I don't see him winning many headers at corners. 

Excellent from JWP and DCC especially. Looking more solid defensively although Bazunu still makes me nervous and we need to improve our set-piece defending. Once we start playing Orsic instead of Elyounoussi, we'll look pretty good. We still need another striker though.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

So happy withe result.  We will need to play better than that going forward though. I guess it was tough conditions and Everton didn't make it easy first half, getting very tight.

Part from the result, some real positives to take away. JWP playing further forward is looking like a smart move from Jones. DCC looks sold. Lyanco had another very good game, especially at right back. Strange decision to move KWP there and Salisu to left back, but Salisu had a good second half (terrible first) so something worked. Jones to be praised for that decision?

Some negatives. Diallo didn't effect the game. Nor did Ely. Thought AA was what was needed from the start. A Shane Long pest. Lavia mis-controlled a few times and gave the ball away in dangerous areas putting us under pressure. He's a good player, but he needs to be right on it as teams are not going to give him time. Gordon showed just how slow Perraud is. Got too tight and then got done like a kipper. Could have cost us. Have to say Alcaraz had a mare when he came on. Did he have the wrong boots? He was like a rabbit stuck in headlines, mis-controlling, falling over, stuttering...

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

He had a great game. He always seems to get his feet set right, so his clearances from whipped in crosses are never sliced. My one gripe is he doesn't seem to dominate defensive set pieces. I guess he cant be everywhere, but I don't see him winning many headers at corners. 

Missed Wednesday then.

3 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Excellent result so well done all.

Now I want to see us really go for Villa, no Ely or Diallo.

Lets give Orsic a go with Alcaraz as apparently we have signed them to improve us.

Oh yes and fuck off Everton.

And Man City.  Putting on their second team then in the second half deciding to come out of the ditch.  Don’t come back neither.

Now I've got my breath back, I'll try and share some views.

We didn't play badly at all, throughout the game. First half we had some good opportunities, we kept Everton at arms length for the majority of it and were only let down by awful set piece defending. From open play our shape and defensive discipline was spot on throughout the game. 

What we lacked in that first half was a bit of attacking balance. We had KWP left, Ely covering for Lyanco right side and it unbalanced us and removed our opportunity to break. The press was a little bit off as well because the players didn't seem as comfortable in their positions. As soon as we altered that in the 2nd half we looked more comfortable, KWP a key part in the JWP equaliser. Elyounoussi was also a little more free on the left hand side, although he is still a bit too slow for this league IMO.

My MOTM was DCC, I think he's a monster of a CB. He adds the composure and calmness that so often goes missing in Lyanco's and Salisu's games, so he compliments those two really well. He's getting better and better with more game time.

This was a huge win, make no bones about it. So pleased with the character to turn around a game like that, it was huge and it will add even more belief to this group. I can see what we're trying to do now, against Forest I think we were rightfully all very confused and bewildered, but the last few games we have a clear approach and the team shape is bringing the best out of certain players.

If we can get ourselves a real number 9 (Adams tries, but he does struggle when he's isolated) then I think we have an excellent opportunity. 

• Like 7

A win at Goodison is an extremely rare event. I had hardly any signal and was hanging out waiting for updates.

Absolutely stunning result. What a difference a week makes.

JWP is so important to us, bit like LeTissier in the 90s.

2 points split 7 teams. It's going to be a tense relegation battle. Lots of teams involved who absolutely don't expect to be there. Panic will set in soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Now I've got my breath back, I'll try and share some views.

We didn't play badly at all, throughout the game. First half we had some good opportunities, we kept Everton at arms length for the majority of it and were only let down by awful set piece defending. From open play our shape and defensive discipline was spot on throughout the game. 

What we lacked in that first half was a bit of attacking balance. We had KWP left, Ely covering for Lyanco right side and it unbalanced us and removed our opportunity to break. The press was a little bit off as well because the players didn't seem as comfortable in their positions. As soon as we altered that in the 2nd half we looked more comfortable, KWP a key part in the JWP equaliser. Elyounoussi was also a little more free on the left hand side, although he is still a bit too slow for this league IMO.

My MOTM was DCC, I think he's a monster of a CB. He adds the composure and calmness that so often goes missing in Lyanco's and Salisu's games, so he compliments those two really well. He's getting better and better with more game time.

This was a huge win, make no bones about it. So pleased with the character to turn around a game like that, it was huge and it will add even more belief to this group. I can see what we're trying to do now, against Forest I think we were rightfully all very confused and bewildered, but the last few games we have a clear approach and the team shape is bringing the best out of certain players.

If we can get ourselves a real number 9 (Adams tries, but he does struggle when he's isolated) then I think we have an excellent opportunity. 

Spot on. DCC was superb. Cool as a cornetto, and always in position. 

• Like 4

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I honestly don't see how anyone's blaming Bazunu for their goal. A world class keeper may have possibly stopped it but no one below that level.

At fault or not, He’s still shit. 

Edited by Dman
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Excellent from JWP and DCC especially. Looking more solid defensively although Bazunu still makes me nervous and we need to improve our set-piece defending. Once we start playing Orsic instead of Elyounoussi, we'll look pretty good. We still need another striker though.

I wonder what the thinking behind not bringing on Orsic was.

JwP...

Fantastic week.  If you said we would win 3 game before the palace game not many would have believed it

Manager has got us playing this way and we are in the groove

we have developed more over the last few weeks

we were not pleased losing the 1st half. Lost too many battles in midfield

Manager was not happy at HT and we needed to be better

I am confident with free kicks 

The mood has improved over the last few weeks.  Manager came in with a squad very low

He has quickly implemented his desire and we are picking up on his energy also

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dman said:

At fault or not, He’s still shit. 

No he isn't. He's a 20 year old keeper who clearly has a lot of talent and potential, just not quite there yet. Show me a 20 year old keeper who's been good at this level ever. You can probably name 4, 5 or maybe 6 but that's about it.

• Like 9

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

I wonder what the thinking behind not bringing on Orsic was.

The subs all made sense to me, and just no place for him today. Armstrong's pace stretched play on the left, Alcaraz pushed up from midfield, AMN beefed up the middle of the park, Mara ran around up top, Perraud did the job that Salisu was struggling to do. All good subs at the right time imo. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No he isn't. He's a 20 year old keeper who clearly has a lot of talent and potential, just not quite there yet. Show me a 20 year old keeper who's been good at this level ever. You can probably name 4, 5 or maybe 6 but that's about it.

Okay, I’ll rephrase, he’s currently shit for this level. Nowhere near good enough. 

Lucky we didn’t concede a second from his pathetic attempt to come and collect the ball. 

Absolutely no better than McCarthy and significantly worse than Forster. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He reminds me of other young keepers who have come into this league and initially struggled. De Gea for one, and Kepa. Both a bit flappy when they first came here, but they did get better. I think it's way too soon to be writing this guy off, the things he does in games come across to me as a lack of experience rather than outright ability. I would agree that it's risky to have him in a struggling team right now though, and I'd have preferred a more experienced keeper with him on the bench, but we will just have to be patient.

• Like 4

Well GTF the F F F F F IN. That reminds me of wins back in the day against Forest (Evans 2 goals), Blackburn (1 goal ever in his Saints career Basham), and QPR in the first season back up in the current stint. All vital MUST wins that kick started survivals after we'd been utterly shit the vast majority of the seasons preceding those matches. I'm stunned at the turnaround in the last week, we can fucking do it again. Football, bloody hell.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Grand Old Team is a fun read this evening. here's my fave comment so far though...

image.thumb.png.6736c349cb3280ac3e8e9cb5355a6ac9.png

What a great combination for a comment. The Dugout manager-stealing fireworkers in despair and Portsmouth FC forever in the mud.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic