Saints 2-1 Blackpool

Saint In Cornwall

Just now, redkeith said:

Aribo was running alongside the guy who scored their goal 25 yards out and just let him run. He was yards behind him when he scored . Lazy, lazy bastard.  Should never play midfield again. Only good point from today was that the left side looked much better with a left back playing. 

That's the one thing which has stuck out during all his games with us, lazy as all shit. Doesn't track, doesn't press. Wrong sort of player for a team who want to press on the front foot and win possession. He's a luxury player who hangs on the edge of a game hoping to get a touch to pull something out of the bag.

In hindsight a really weird signing as he doesn't fit the mould of what we've been trying to do.

• Like 2

Just now, johnnyboy said:

My feelings on AMN is that football is a job that he has to do , doesn’t seem to enjoy being a pro and looks like he is doing the bare minimum to get through , which is a terrible attitude to have as a professional footballer, which begs the question what does the manager see in him , he offers nothing .

The difference between him and KWP is so noticeable. When KWP gets the ball he’s immediately looking to see how he can get forward: with a pass, a dribble, he looks to be positive. AMN is on his back foot most of the time and often just wants to get the ball then give it away straight away. There were many times he could have received posession and just didn’t show for it. Absolutely poor on-field attitude, an absolute nothing of a performance today.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Thank fuck you are not our manager. This was an excellent opportunity to build confidence and gel but it was a shabby, careless, mistake ridden poor slack display which served no purpose. It’s not as if we are going to win the Cup so performance is important. 

How about over coming a potential banana skin ?

Positives are that Perraud's definitely staked a claim for the starting 11. Said in the week that is was strange that he had been dropped, as he's a dependable player at the least and has Jones' desired aggression. Him on the left and KWP on the right gives us more balance.

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Thank fuck you are not our manager. This was an excellent opportunity to build confidence and gel but it was a shabby, careless, mistake ridden poor slack display which served no purpose. It’s not as if we are going to win the Cup so performance is important. 

Oh yeah, you're right. He should have played the full first team, gone all out for a 5-0 win and knackered everyone out. Everyone knows it's all about the cups and we need to take them seriously to build confidence....Not like we have a cup semi final on Tuesday or anything is it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Positives are that Perraud's definitely staked a claim for the starting 11. Said in the week that is was strange that he had been dropped, as he's a dependable player at the least and has Jones' desired aggression. Him on the left and KWP on the right gives us more balance.

Jones will play probably KWP left back and his mate Bree right back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Oh yeah, you're right. He should have played the full first team, gone all out for a 5-0 win and knackered everyone out. Everyone knows it's all about the cups and we need to take them seriously to build confidence....Not like we have a cup semi final on Tuesday or anything is it?

Were you that irritating git sat next to me today?

10 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Had that been to decide we were staying up or going down or even a 6 pointer, I would agree the only thing that mattered would be the result, but I went up there today hoping to see some green shoots now Jones has got his feet under the table and I saw absolutely nothing to take home with me. Getting through to the 5th Round means little in the bigger scheme of things. OK we weren't embarrassed and that counts for something but there were so many negatives I don't know where to start. Apart from Perraud and the odd flash from Lavia it was dreadful. Careless, unimaginative, casual it was all there. I am still prepared to cut Jones some slack but my that was very disappointing.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Fulham struggled at home to Sunderland today, we've actually done very well in the cups last few seasons getting through potential tricky ties 

10 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Had that been to decide we were staying up or going down or even a 6 pointer, I would agree the only thing that mattered would be the result, but I went up there today hoping to see some green shoots now Jones has got his feet under the table and I saw absolutely nothing to take home with me. Getting through to the 5th Round means little in the bigger scheme of things. OK we weren't embarrassed and that counts for something but there were so many negatives I don't know where to start. Apart from Perraud and the odd flash from Lavia it was dreadful. Careless, unimaginative, casual it was all there. I am still prepared to cut Jones some slack but my that was very disappointing.

That’s where I’m at really. I didn’t have too much of a problem with the line up, save for one or two little changes (I said before KO I’d prefer Alcaraz to get a good run out). This was an opportunity for some players to come in and do what Perraud did: show some real heart and determination and give the manager a selection headache. Also show than the squad as a whole are moving forward under Jones by putting in a good performance in his mould against struggling championship opposition. Honestly, if you knew nothing about it and watched the last 25 minutes or so, you’d have though Blackpool were the higher ranked side. The first hour was not so bad but still rife with problems that are all too familiar: sloppy, not enough intensity.the last 20 minutes was chaos, a team without an identity looking a bit lost. Must get better.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

My feelings on AMN is that football is a job that he has to do , doesn’t seem to enjoy being a pro and looks like he is doing the bare minimum to get through , which is a terrible attitude to have as a professional footballer, which begs the question what does the manager see in him , he offers nothing .

I said exactly the same to my kids after the game. He's taking 40k a week or whatever he's on to go through the motions and will probably carry on doing that until he retires.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t know if it mentioned above, but Peraud seems to have lost a lot of weight and looked fitter today?

His fitness was definitely questionable earlier in the season, he regular looked puffed out and caught out of position. Looked sharper today, but you have to take the quality of opposition into mind. Hopefully he’s early himself a first team spot, as him LB and KWP on the right are definitely our best options.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Calm down mate. I don’t know if you are related to Jones or maybe you are his gardener or something but you seem very protective. I have no problem with the changes he made, yes it made sense but then what followed in terms of cohesion and organisation was depressing. He is meant to be a decent coach and motivator but I saw no sign of those influences this afternoon. Surely it is permissible on a forum to say that without you taking it so personally. 
I want very much for Jones to succeed, he’s got a very tough gig but if his teams continue to play as they did today it’s going to be a very long 3 months. 

• Like 7

Disappointing performance from the players who should have been trying to impress the Manager (and us fans)

My ratings:

1. Willy                        6.5... .........Made a couple of decent saves but distribution poor at times.
2. Maitland Niles       5.0.............Not even average.
3. Peraud                    7.0.............Two good goals in amongst a good performance.
4. Lavia.                      6.5.............Best of the midfielders
5. Bella Kotcha           6.0.............Not sure about him. He looked a unit when he first came in but his performances have tailed off as the season has progressed.
6. Lyanco.....................6.5.............Always a mistake in him and distribution poor at times but defended well at times.
7. Edozie......................6.5.............Almost a 7 as things happened when he received the ball. He is getting better and will be a good asset as he develops.
8. Elyounoussi.............6.0.............Just average, as always.
9. Maria........................5.5.............Did absolutely nothing but set up the second goal so half a point for that.
10. Aribo.......................6.0............Difficult to quantify his performance. He did one or two good things with the ball but not much defending.
11. Orsic........................5.0............I think there is a player in there somewhere but yet to see it in his cameos so far.

Subs Walcott, Adams, Armstrong(A), KWP.... Probably 2.0 spread amongst all 4.

Overall a mid/lower Championship League performance

• Like 2

Wins a win I guess, in the draw for Monday.

I suspect the manager will rake more negatives from that game than positives.

Aribo, Elyounoussi, AMN, offer zero improvement and the team struggles with them in the side. Sadly at the moment Bella Kotchap could be added to that list, bit hopefully just a brief drop in form.

Average game, some good moments but very unconvincing.  Blackpool were poor and Saints really should have been in fill control.

A little bit of show boating in the 2nd half which, when it went wrong, led to their goal.

I'm really not a fan of using 5 subs, the last 3 came on and the side had zero rhythm or understanding from then on.

Lavia, Perraud, and Edozie the stand outs for me.

That's it move on

Edited by macca155

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Indeed but what if he'd played KWP and then he wasn't ready to go for Tuesday. The cup game that matters. Then THAT would have been wrong and it would have been "WHY DIDN'T HE WASTE AMN ON THIS GAME SINCE IT'S NOT IMPORTANT?!"

The cup games don't matter one bit, it's the league games that are vastly more important at this stage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

He definitely seems to not enjoy playing, although that might have something to do with playing right back. If that is the case he either needs to accept the fact that he’s not good enough to play CM at premier league level and drop down or try and find enjoyment playing RB. I can understand why the manager played him though, can’t risk KWP getting injured especially with the big away game at Newcastle on Tuesday. We need KWP to be fresh as possible. Hopefully Jones will play Perraud LB as he’s earned a start with todays performance. I’d be a lot more comfortable with Perraud ABK Salisu KWP as our back four than anything with AMN and Lyanco in it! 

That only positive I'll take from the game was at least it was cheap. Imagine having had to pay full price to watch that shit. Seriously. what was the point in playing Willy? Bazuna needs clean sheets, ok he might not have got one anyway, but no point playing a 41 year old keeper. AMN and Aribo are absolutely pointless, didn't effect the game at all. If Jones thinks we don't need a striker, I suggest he watches Mara's performance again. I get he was isolated and didn't have much help, but again so lightweight. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That only positive I'll take from the game was at least it was cheap. Imagine having had to pay full price to watch that shit. Seriously. what was the point in playing Willy? Bazuna needs clean sheets, ok he might not have got one anyway, but no point playing a 41 year old keeper. AMN and Aribo are absolutely pointless, didn't effect the game at all. If Jones thinks we don't need a striker, I suggest he watches Mara's performance again. I get he was isolated and didn't have much help, but again so lightweight. 

maybe Jones thought that with a weakened team, goals could be scored and he wanted to protect Bazunu from that

Perraud for me a contender for player of the season. Why Nathan Jones has dropped him is beyond me because he has always looked very good on the left hand side.

Maitland-Niles - genuinely awful. Offers us nothing and makes us weaker. Get rid, a youngster could do better. If we go down I wouldn't want him.

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

What was the attendance today? Looked very sparse the crowd. £17.50 was a joke ticket price. £5 for concessions and £10 adults would have got a much bigger crowd imo 

20,000, or just over. In my row, I was the only regular there. Sadly I was surrounded with a load of teenagers who kept on chanting "you dirty northern bastards" or songs about Portsmouth. 

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Perraud for me a contender for player of the season. Why Nathan Jones has dropped him is beyond me because he has always looked very good on the left hand side.

Maitland-Niles - genuinely awful. Offers us nothing and makes us weaker. Get rid, a youngster could do better. If we go down I wouldn't want him.

Bro you love a french underdog beginning with P, what with puel and perraud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

20,000, or just over. In my row, I was the only regular there. Sadly I was surrounded with a load of teenagers who kept on chanting "you dirty northern bastards" or songs about Portsmouth. 

Young girl sat at the end of our row filming various parts of the game and ground on her phone for the entire first half. Including 5-10mins focussed on the Blackpool fans singing. Proper odd behaviour.

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Could have played one of the youngsters who would have been hard pressed to do worse than AMN and might have gained from the experience. AMN is a waste of a shirt.

Yep, that’s my main takeaway from today, I never want to see AMN in a Saints shirt ever again.

Perraud is a better player than he gets credit for and should be playing regularly, not tucking about with KWP or Lyanco at LB, square pegs in square holes etc

Seeing how much we struggled today convinced me we will need to make about 10 new signings when we go down as some of this lot are not up to the championship.

Lastly, I’m genuinely disappointed that we’ve played Sheff Weds, Blackpool and Lincoln in the cup this season and none of the U21s have had a look in. It goes against everything we apparently stand for, “the Southampton way”, no wonder Morgan is looking to leave.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

That game in three words? 

Average. Unconvincing. Disjointed.

Glad we won, but man we are a poor, bang average team lacking identity, form or any hint of class.

What did we learn?

Peraud is worth his paycheck. Caballero is a true pro. Lyanco works hard regardless of the opposition. AMN is a total waste of a shirt - enough, no more chances, get rid. Aribo failed to impress. Mara is flaky, a 'luxury' player who gives the ball up too much and doesn't work back. Lavia can have a poor game. Still look like a team who doesn't know what tune to play or how.

Got to agree with all this. All Diallo did when he came on was cause a fight; I saw Moi push one of their defenders in the penalty area when we had the ball (doesn't that thick tit learn anything), and sorry but Aribo...despite the song, I've stopped believing. Thought Lavia had a good game and Perraud and Lyanco were ok and hey ho, the treble is still on