Saints 2-1 Blackpool

Saint In Cornwall

Dreadful performance, lucky to hold on. Plenty of players making the point that the Championship is their level. 

Perraud needs to start at LB, Edozie makes a case for more game time. 

AMN, Diallo, Moi, Aribo shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting XI in the prem. 

We limp on 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well, that was atrocious game management. What should've been a comfortable coast into the next round a 2-0 turned into a grim slog to hang on.

85 minutes out of Lavia, and the full 90 from Bella-Kotchap should be a positive, though - provided there's no reaction.

Thought our football in the first half was pretty decent, to be fair. Unbelievably casual and dozy in the second half.

Only Saints can make a win feel like a defeat...

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Dreadful performance, lucky to hold on. Plenty of players making the point that the Championship is their level. 

They are nowhere near that standard. We would get murdered in the championship 

That game in three words? 

Average. Unconvincing. Disjointed.

Glad we won, but man we are a poor, bang average team lacking identity, form or any hint of class.

What did we learn?

Peraud is worth his paycheck. Caballero is a true pro. Lyanco works hard regardless of the opposition. AMN is a total waste of a shirt - enough, no more chances, get rid. Aribo failed to impress. Mara is flaky, a 'luxury' player who gives the ball up too much and doesn't work back. Lavia can have a poor game. Still look like a team who doesn't know what tune to play or how.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

A win's a win. Couldn't care less how we played, there's only one stat I care about.

I’d agree if it was a premier league game, but it’s worrying how poor a lot of our players looked and how Blackpool carved through us

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

A win's a win. Couldn't care less how we played, there's only one stat I care about.

Thank fuck you are not our manager. This was an excellent opportunity to build confidence and gel but it was a shabby, careless, mistake ridden poor slack display which served no purpose. It’s not as if we are going to win the Cup so performance is important. 

• Like 7

well were through...................................apart from final score, we play very scarred.No fluid movement off the ball showing for the ball in space ,and just dreadful. If we just wanted to coast through the remaining part of the season without any cohesion we had better look out for more of the same next season in the Championship. Ely started off ok but drifted into his usual nothingness, Mara too lightweight and not enough physic,AMN what was that ?.We  try to play penetrating passes but they lack gravitas to reach the player ,they seem so under hit they are easily cut out and play breaks down.Well that's how i saw it this afternoon. The new signings weve made dont make any difference to how we compose our play on the pitch.Should have played the youngsters from the start and then subbed them IMO,but hey as i said we are through.

Well done to Blackpool for giving it a go, decent side, let down by poor finishing... 

Last 30mins or so showed how far off, from a confident premiership team, we really are.
I still don't get why our defensive issues have persisted for so long.
We've basically changed our back 5 and reinforced defensive midfield in the past year but still can't get it right.
Are we missing an inspiring defensive coach or something?  I'm baffled.

Well done Perraud... two lovely left footed strikes... show our strikers how it's done.
A win's a win... still in the cup... UTS !!

It was almost like the players thought it was done at 2-0 and completely switched off. Their goal came from us weakly giving the ball away in their half and then a load of players standing around watching as they passed it through us.

Until then we'd been ok, nothing more than that.

Bloody awful.  Players trying to play passes that were never ever on, losing 50/50 tackles, weak in the air, constantly giving the ball away.  As soon as any pressure is bought to bear we wilt all over the pitch, no leadership.  We were mediocre up until they scored, after that, not for the first time this season, it was like watching the keystone cops, total panic right across the park.  We're through, but we're going to have to play a whole lot better than that to progress any further. 

• Like 1

A bit lacklustre and those given minutes to prove themselves havent really taken the opportunity - with Perraud being the massive exception. Was superb and just highlights that hes our only natural LB and needs to play. 4 goals and 2 assists in something like 13 starts. Says it all.

Good to see ABK back as we'll need him and hopefully this moves Lyanco to the bench.

In the hat and we're not the only PL side to struggle against lower league opposition today

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Bloody awful.  Players trying to play passes that were never ever on, losing 50/50 tackles, weak in the air, constantly giving the ball away.  As soon as any pressure is bought to bear we wilt all over the pitch, no leadership.  We were mediocre up until they scored, after that, not for the first time this season, it was like watching the keystone cops, total panic right across the park.  We're through, but we're going to have to play a whole lot better than that to progress any further. 

We'll not win the FA Cup so any further progress is a bonus. We need some big performances in the league now but I'm not sure we have the players or the nous because we struggle in even the basics.

• Like 1

Just now, saintant said:

Hope Jones got right stuck into them after they got careless and risked giving up a two goal lead.

I’m sure he’ll come out and say the right things in his interview: “we looked comfortable then we weren’t brave enough, got too sloppy, we’ve got to be more aggressive, last 20 minutes was not good enough etc etc”. The problem is, he’s good at identifying the problem, he just doesn’t seem to be able to do enough about fixing it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Dreadful performance, dreadful hoofing and a fucking dreadful manager.

50% win percentage...?

And one of those defeats was away at Liverpool where he'd been in charge about 2 days and another one isn't technically a defeat yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm dying to see a decent team, but no matter who we play (L2/L1/Champ/PL) we just look shit, against anyone. A rabble of nonsense.

Edozie a bright spark, Mara way too isolated and not involved enough - when he does get involved you can see he has something about him, but it's few and far between.

Lavia tired massively as the game went on, kept him on too long IMO. Having Ely as a partner is like playing on your own for 90 mins.

Good 90 for ABK, looked rusty though. Perraud the obvious bright spark. Orsic still well off the pace.

Onto the really bad, AMN - what the fuck is he? He's certainly not a footballer, I just don't know what you can do with him. It's like when you're a manager at work and you have a shit employee, but you can't sack them so you keep having to move them around to try and find a role. I'd try the tea lady next, he shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch.

Lyanco rash and clumsy, created chaos in the last 10 mins with some really shitty bits of non-composed play. Putting Diallo on lost any element of control we may have had, and we struggled to hold on at that stage.

These games are never easy, but we tried so hard to make it as hard as it could be through awful play. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

AMN is possibly the laziest footballer I’ve ever seen.  Moi was shite.  Perraud did ok, and poor old Willy looks ready for vets football.

Stealing a living and Jones should not be giving him game time which any other squad member is more deserving of. Get him out of the club at the first opportunity.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Much better than people give him credit for.

Our back line is more balanced, and Salisu is more composed, with a left-footed LB in the lineup, and I like Perraud's positives. Pleased to see him score a couple because he adds something to us offensively.

However, I can't help but fear that the two goals won't help him to address his biggest weakness - a failure to track back quickly enough when we lose possession. Unless I'm mistaken he was again on the wrong side of the Blackpool attack that lead to their goal.

• Like 1

Just now, saintant said:

Stealing a living and Jones should not be giving him game time which any other squad member is more deserving of. Get him out of the club at the first opportunity.

Indeed but what if he'd played KWP and then he wasn't ready to go for Tuesday. The cup game that matters. Then THAT would have been wrong and it would have been "WHY DIDN'T HE WASTE AMN ON THIS GAME SINCE IT'S NOT IMPORTANT?!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

AMN is possibly the laziest footballer I’ve ever seen.  Moi was shite.  Perraud did ok, and poor old Willy looks ready for vets football.

Never seen someone so angry at winning a football match. Who hurt you?

Aribo was running alongside the guy who scored their goal 25 yards out and just let him run. He was yards behind him when he scored . Lazy, lazy bastard.  Should never play midfield again. Only good point from today was that the left side looked much better with a left back playing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm dying to see a decent team, but no matter who we play (L2/L1/Champ/PL) we just look shit, against anyone. A rabble of nonsense.

Edozie a bright spark, Mara way too isolated and not involved enough - when he does get involved you can see he has something about him, but it's few and far between.

Lavia tired massively as the game went on, kept him on too long IMO. Having Ely as a partner is like playing on your own for 90 mins.

Good 90 for ABK, looked rusty though. Perraud the obvious bright spark. Orsic still well off the pace.

Onto the really bad, AMN - what the fuck is he? He's certainly not a footballer, I just don't know what you can do with him. It's like when you're a manager at work and you have a shit employee, but you can't sack them so you keep having to move them around to try and find a role. I'd try the tea lady next, he shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch.

Lyanco rash and clumsy, created chaos in the last 10 mins with some really shitty bits of non-composed play. Putting Diallo on lost any element of control we may have had, and we struggled to hold on at that stage.

These games are never easy, but we tried so hard to make it as hard as it could be through awful play. 

Hope Jones hasn't left Lavia too spent to play on Tuesday. Not that I hold out much hope for us but we'll need Lavia at his best.

My feelings on AMN is that football is a job that he has to do , doesn’t seem to enjoy being a pro and looks like he is doing the bare minimum to get through , which is a terrible attitude to have as a professional footballer, which begs the question what does the manager see in him , he offers nothing .

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Indeed but what if he'd played KWP and then he wasn't ready to go for Tuesday. The cup game that matters. Then THAT would have been wrong and it would have been "WHY DIDN'T HE WASTE AMN ON THIS GAME SINCE IT'S NOT IMPORTANT?!"

Could have played one of the youngsters who would have been hard pressed to do worse than AMN and might have gained from the experience. AMN is a waste of a shirt.

• Like 2