Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

I thought we got away with it in the first leg, but are we still in the tie?

Of course we are, though how we will score and keep a clean sheet I will never know. Having said that, it will probably end up a goal fest, with a last minute winner taking us to pens, which we win and then it becomes the greatest away day since Fratton in 84...I'm loving this bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape by the way.

I notice that we have completely sold the original four blocks of seats now and they are selling tickets in half of the next block of seats along. I think each block holds about 550, so about 2200 sold and maybe 250 more available. I suspect that will be it though. Not a bad effort, considering the distance and lack of optimism around right now. It didn't look like Newcastle sold all their 3200 tickets, which perhaps shows what a bloody long trip it is, especially midweek.  

• Haha 1

A mate of mine said we're 1-0 down at half time in a semi final, when you look at it like that all to play for. 

Of course we know the odds are stacked against us, but who knows we might even have a new striker by then! 

Looking forward to the trip regardless,  if we have 2500 that will be a top effort in my book, 4th semi final in 7 years so perhaps not as special an occasion for us as it is the Geordies who aren't used to such success 

• Like 1

Course we are still in it, this is football, strange things happen.  We know exactly what we have to do.  We have to go for it, it's a one off game, if we score first and at the right time, who knows what might happen.  They get edgy, we get an 88th minute winner.  Stranger things have happened. 

All of that said we could get tonked and I don't fancy us if we go to pens! 

Edited by Micky

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

A mate of mine said we're 1-0 down at half time in a semi final, when you look at it like that all to play for. 

Of course we know the odds are stacked against us, but who knows we might even have a new striker by then! 

Looking forward to the trip regardless,  if we have 2500 that will be a top effort in my book, 4th semi final in 7 years so perhaps not as special an occasion for us as it is the Geordies who aren't used to such success 

Would a new signing be available to play having not been signed in time for the first leg ? Seem to recall somewhere in the past that a player wasn't (but that might have been an FA Cup replay, or European tie when they used to be over two legs) .

This assumes they're not cup-tied of course.

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would a new signing be available to play having not been signed in time for the first leg ? Seem to recall somewhere in the past that a player wasn't (but that might have been an FA Cup replay, or European tie when they used to be over two legs) .

This assumes they're not cup-tied of course.

Good question I'm not sure, new signing Bree today hasn't played in the carabao so isn't cup tied but might not be able to feature anyway if its like that 

13 hours ago, Chez said:

I think each block holds about 550, so about 2200 sold and maybe 250 more available. 

All the blocks look very similar in size and probably (if includes the 4 or so separate rows at the front) hold around 620. Other than a dozen odd seats in LTM they were all sold earlier yesterday so that would be around 2480 and tickets are now selling in the extra (half) block put up (the other half must be segregation) - looks like, understandably, we just took the 2,800 allocation

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

All the blocks look very similar in size and probably (if includes the 4 or so separate rows at the front) hold around 620. Other than a dozen odd seats in LTM they were all sold earlier yesterday so that would be around 2480 and tickets are now selling in the extra (half) block put up (the other half must be segregation) - looks like, understandably, we just took the 2,800 allocation

spacer.png

the screen shot shows one set available in those front four rows, so I am guessing it does. Pretty good away support. It's a monster trip. Really hope we can rewarded with a display and result as we were at Liverpool. 

Still in it. Obviously Newcastle will start as favourites but funnier things have happened. It would appear that they already think they have reached Wenbley and hopefully their arrogance will be dispelled

The media crow on about the noise the Toon Army create. Fair enough their away support always seems loud, not so sure on their home support though, not as good as made out.(Mind Im only going what Ive heard or not on telly)Get an early goal and put them on tenterhooks. They are bad losers.

Here's hoping

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dougie said:

Still in it. Obviously Newcastle will start as favourites but funnier things have happened. It would appear that they already think they have reached Wenbley and hopefully their arrogance will be dispelled

The media crow on about the noise the Toon Army create. Fair enough their away support always seems loud, not so sure on their home support though, not as good as made out.(Mind Im only going what Ive heard or not on telly)Get an early goal and put them on tenterhooks. They are bad losers.

Here's hoping

'spose it's only fair we repay the Mackems for dumping our neighbours out of the third division play-offs a few years back - best we ruin the Geordie's party then

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Would love it If Duje Ćaleta-Car scored the winner after serving his suspension yesterday. You can almost hear the whinging now, and would be true karma after they had the game deliberately called off last season. 

Its a nice dream.......

Edited by Paul Chuckle
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Would love it If Duje Ćaleta-Car scored the winner after serving his suspension yesterday. You can almost hear the whinging now, and would be true karma after they had the game deliberately called off last season. 

It’s a nice dream.......

that’s if he plays the second leg, he was fairly shocking against them. 

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

There were only around 75 tickets left earlier, so looks like we'll have just about the full 2,800 allocation up there by Tuesday. Fair play to all those travelling up, that's one helluva journey in the circumstances.

Shane Long. Anfield. Say no more.

If history is any guide and Shane Long scores the winner against Liverpool, then we have a Che Adams hat trick incoming, anyone got the available odds on that?

15 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

W1siZiIsInB1YmxpYy8yMDIzLzEvMjQvMTUvMzYv

Now if this doesn't go to plan and the unexpected happens there's gonna be a lot of moody Geordies around.....and a lot of cheap hotel rooms in the Wembley area up for grabs come Wednesday morning

but they say they don’t think they’re already at wembley …

10 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

There were only around 75 tickets left earlier, so looks like we'll have just about the full 2,800 allocation up there by Tuesday. Fair play to all those travelling up, that's one helluva journey in the circumstances.

Shane Long. Anfield. Say no more.

I think it's brilliant but interesting perception of other teams fans that I know, a mate of mine just assumed we'd take the 5000 tickets entitled to and seemed surprised when I said we were taking only just over half that 

I guess when you think we took 8000 to Milan it does seem quite small in comparison 

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

but they say they don’t think they’re already at wembley …

1 hour ago, 100%Red&White said:

W1siZiIsInB1YmxpYy8yMDIzLzEvMjQvMTUvMzYv

Now if this doesn't go to plan and the unexpected happens there's gonna be a lot of moody Geordies around.....and a lot of cheap hotel rooms in the Wembley area up for grabs come Wednesday morning

I’d just show the team this before the game. Job done. Remember when Leicester played the goals from the 9-0 on their big screen at the return game - that went well for them!!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I’d just show the team this before the game. Job done. Remember when Leicester played the goals from the 9-0 on their big screen at the return game - that went well for them!!

If we get through it would be funny if some northern saints who can't get to Wembley could go along to this and ask where the flag display / pre-match show is 

Don’t know what it is about these entitled knobs, but I would love it if we romped home with a convincing win. I know deep down though it’s about as likely as the Lib Dems winning the next GE with a landslide. They’ve got a better squad and a better Manager. Even if we signed Ronaldo and he was eligible to play, Jones would put him on in the 86 minute. Just want to see a convincing battling performance with no roll over result plus no red cards and no injuries.

I'd like to see "Nasty Nathan" match the dark arts Howe and Tindall are expert in in the technical areas. The world is against us in this one: the media love-in, a hyped up crowd of self-entitled geordies, and billions of saudi sport-washing blood money. It is only 1-0 at half time and if we can keep it tight it's those decisions that Howe and Tindall are so good at influencing that could make the difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JRM said:

I think it's brilliant but interesting perception of other teams fans that I know, a mate of mine just assumed we'd take the 5000 tickets entitled to and seemed surprised when I said we were taking only just over half that 

I guess when you think we took 8000 to Milan it does seem quite small in comparison 

Not sure Milan is a fair comparison. That was at one of the most famous stadiums in the world and our first opportunity to visit there as well as our last. Once in a lifetime stuff and people knew it. Also had a couple of months to plan it.

Newcastle doesn't fit into that category at all and has also come just after Christmas in a period where loads of people are skint.

I think 2800 is a fantastic effort for us personally and I thought it'd be slightly less. Bearing in mind we rarely take that many North of Brum for Saturday matches not on TV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Not sure you can compare a January midweek treck to some northern shit hole to a trip to Milan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MightyMags1892 said:

You lot going to stay behind for our Wembley celebrations after?

Should be some incredible scenes😎

Could you leave some contact details on here for us to pass on to social services? It's nice that you want to come on here for some attention but if you weren't loved or cuddled enough as a child, or just don't have any friends in the real world, they might be able to help you. Heck, i'm a man who's happy to hug a stranger if it means they get the attention they clearly need. Feel free to DM me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Not sure you can compare a January midweek treck to some northern shit hole to a trip to Milan.

Comparison was midweek trip, long distance, cost, managed to get big numbers there. 

When Luton played at Newcastle in fa cup few years ago they took over 7000 , just saying perception of other clubs fans was we would take more than we are with it being a semi. 

Personally I don't blame anyone not going, bottom of the league, long way to go on a Tuesday to see us lose and costs a fortune to do it, plus the train strike , about 2700 turn out is great. 

• Like 2

Very calm as this game approaches. Bottom, no time for cup distractions, but enjoying the little win streaks. Even if we beat them, ManUtd will win the VAR & do us in the final. This is just about putting on a performances and making it difficult to these wannabe pretenders. No way they are winning anything this year, just watch them implode. 

Joelington and Almiron have been playing three levels above their station, its coming to a rapid end. Bookmark this bitches. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sorry if you’ve had the odd troll from Toon fans, I’m afraid all teams have a portion of bell ends, and you’ve met one or two of ours (to be fair there have been a couple of Saints equivalent coming on Newcastle message boards as well).

A couple of your posters were asking about pubs. There are no issues about finding a pub near St James’ last count I heard was that there were over 150 pubs and bars within a mile of the ground.

The train station is about 1/2 mile from the station. Generally away fans tend to stay around the station area. There are about 6 or 7 trains right next to the station. The head if Steam is usually popular for away fans, the Victoria Comet is also just over the road from the Station. The Centurion bar in the station itself is worth a visit if you like Victorian architecture.

Other than that, generally speaking most bars in the town centre are safe for away fans. Obviously like any other city if you start shouting the odds and acting up, someone might get upset and react.

if we get beaten and you win (and despite what the press and the bell ends are saying the majority of fans don’t think it’s all over bar the shouting), I would avoid the Bigg Market for a while. Most of the heed the balls go down there and it might kick off.

To get to the ground it’s best to walk. There is a metro station at the Central Station, you take one stop change at Monument and then go to St James’. 

Don’t make the mistake an Arsenal fan I met made. He just sat on the train with St James’ on the front. The train goes to St James’  but it goes all the way out to the coast and then comes back through Monument to St James’ took him an hour and 10 minutes!!

Hope you enjoy your trip, obviously not the game. Safe journey 

• Like 6

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic