Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

Well said Sha la, I think you covered it.

I was reviewing posts here to report back to an NUFC forum as to Saints fans views of the game ahead.

Reading posts asking about "away pubs" made me laugh.  Newcastle is not like that (unless wearing red and white with a different badge!) 

Away fans are basically welcome in any bar (and we have tons of them in spitting distance of SJP) As long as Saints fans are not total dicks everything will be fine.

I wish all travelling fans a wonderful trip, aside from the 90 mins of the game course.

• Like 1

Transfer thread is deeply depressing so hopefully more positivity in here.

Did DCC serve his ban on Saturday or does it still apply? If available I'd go with

Bazunu

KWP          DCC      Salisu     Perraud

Lavia    Alcaraz

Edozie         JWP           Orsic

Mara

Their fans will be revved up for this. Need to keep it tight first 20 and grow into the game from there. Think they'll have far too much for us though. 2-0 Toon

I registered just to try and paint us Geordies in a better light given some of the representation here so far but it looks like a few good posters beat me to it!

First things first, this game is in the balance. I'm delighted we have an advantage but one goal is nothing. Our defence has been amazing this year but as Armstrong showed in the first leg we can be got at so I'm taking nothing for granted. I'm more nervous for this game than the one down at your place because we've become this team who seem to be talked about as favorites and I'm not used to that at all! 

We're obviously a club which with masses of money will be taken to huge levels. I have reservations about where the money is from, and I know we've spent already, but right now this team of ours still appears a team of grafters and has many of the former players in it. I would LOVE IT (little bit of self humour) if we won this cup with this team before the mega millions and massive sponsors take over the club.

Taking nothing for granted here, I hope we win obviously but I just pray we get through this second leg against you and have a crack at (probably) Man Utd. If it's you that go on to the final I hope you win it.

I hope you guys give Nathan Jones a chance, I think he'll get you out of the relegation places. Chopping and changing doesn't always work but Southampton is a proud club and belongs in the Premier League imo. 

Anyone travelling up tomorrow I wish you a safe journey, hope to have a cracking atmosphere, cracking cup tie and we'll agree to disagree on what we want from the result.

All the best for the rest of the season!

• Like 30

Just wondering whether Lascelles will get booked for the 3rd time when he is not on the pitch and at what stage Pope wil start his delaying tactics. Almiron his diving, Trippier to start trying to influence ref or Bruno, good player that he is, commence his shithousery

Right starting my journey up North. Not keen on venturing above Winchester at the best of times, so this is ridiculous 😲

Been a few times, always found the locals hospitable.

I suspect they are in for a harder match than they anticipate. For all our woes Saints do have a knack of being a difficult team when you least expect.

Oh please be one of those nights.

• Like 6

Nice to see some sensible Geordies come on and make up for their fruitcakes, all clubs have them including us but nice to have a reminder that most of them are sound.

Pub wise I knew there was loads to drink in from last visit but as a lone traveller was wondering where the majority were gathering for a good old sing song pre match.

Really looking forward to this. Not expecting anything but quietly hopeful. As long as we give a good account of ourselves then I think we can't have too many complaints

COYR!!

• Like 4

Hats off to those making the journey, it's a long way to go when we all know what the likely outcome will be.

It's a long-shot to expect us to get a result up there but there's always a chance. If there is still only a goal in it going into the last ten minutes they will get nervy as fuck in front of all those northern monkeys who have already forked out for the trip to Wembley. I'm not actually bothered being a goal behind, I fancy us more with nothing to lose than having to go up there and try and hold onto a slender lead. There's no pressure on us, it's just a free hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EssEffCee said:

Nice to see some sensible Geordies come on and make up for their fruitcakes

I take it with a pinch of salt when oppo 'fans' come on here and act like fuckwits, could very well be their rival fans masquerading as Geordies to give the impression - the skates do it with us. Not that we haven't got more than our own fair share of fruitloops.

2 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Nice to see some sensible Geordies come on and make up for their fruitcakes, all clubs have them including us but nice to have a reminder that most of them are sound.

Pub wise I knew there was loads to drink in from last visit but as a lone traveller was wondering where the majority were gathering for a good old sing song pre match.

Really looking forward to this. Not expecting anything but quietly hopeful. As long as we give a good account of ourselves then I think we can't have too many complaints

COYR!!

Yes, travelling up on my own as well. So if there is a pub where most will be, that'll be a good place to start.....

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

I saw elsewhere that Newcastle fans were letting off fireworks outside the Saints team hotel.

Let's hope that works as well as it did against Everton...

Bunch of wankers, as if they already didn't already have enough of an advantage with the bone-sawers blood money.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 22:13, alehouseboys said:

There were only around 75 tickets left earlier, so looks like we'll have just about the full 2,800 allocation up there by Tuesday. Fair play to all those travelling up, that's one helluva journey in the circumstances.

Shane Long. Anfield. Say no more.

Yeah but we were already up 1-0 on aggregate too!

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Fuck was the point in putting Caballero in - to show his experience and make some good saves - to just chuck Bazunu back in. 

Wasted Lavia against Blackpool when he was needed tonight. 

Piss poor management.

Bazunu likely to crumble under the pressure and atmosphere at St James.

Fingers crossed these boys all play to their max. We'll need it.

Just now, tdmickey3 said:

No Lavia ffs and Bednerak

WTF

Lavia not playing isn’t a surprise, Jones talked about it a few days ago. Don’t agree with his reasoning, but it’s what Jones has been planning for in this game.

Janny B could have a rough homecoming.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Lavia not playing isn’t a surprise, Jones talked about it a few days ago. Don’t agree with his reasoning, but it’s what Jones has been planning for in this game.

Janny B could have a rough homecoming.

Should have rested him against Blackpool then.

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

20230131_190010.jpg

Ha ha ha - there it is. Teacher's pet straight in (Perraud wasted his time getting us through to the next round of the FA cup), and the back 5 that we all know he's desperate to play.

Janny B FFS.

Edited by qwertyell

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic