Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

Just now, maysie said:

It’s not so much the personnel for me but the formation. We’ve never looked good with 3CBs. There may be the odd exception but I struggle to remember it.

Last time I remember us looking good with three at the back was away to Chelsea under Koeman. 

17 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Well, we have five subs, so by no means is the starting lineup likely to be the finishing lineup 

The only semblance of logic I can think of is that it's part of a "hang on and hit them late" strategy, because we can certainly throw much more at them if we're not already out of it. The alternative explanation, of course, is Jones's recurrent desire to show that he's smarter than everyone else.

If you offered me pens I'd take that right now with bells on. In a game we have to win we've gone balls out defensive. We may be getting the players we want but questions are still out over the manager. 

Still if he wins us the cup I'll nosh him off.

*ramblings of SNSUN not legally binding*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I’m guessing the pre show followed the line of all the Qatar hand wringing at the World Cup and highlighted the horrific atrocities of the Saudi regime who own Newcastle?

Getting completely ignored now. Welcome to the PL you murdering arab bastards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How can he seriously expect us to stand a chance with that line up and players like lavia on the bench ffs. It's a semi final, 90min from Wembley! 

As others have said, all I can think is we're planning to park the bus, play on the counter, and try to either nick a goal or go for it late on. Its a brave strategy. Will leave a lot to do if we let a goal in by inviting Newcastle onto us. Game over if it goes 2-0.

Bednarek cannot be match fit either - he may have a stormer, but to me starting him in defence is absolutely asking for it. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Excited.

Looking forward to seeing if Bree is a proper player. I see he's been written off already on here.

Not a fan of five at the back, but perhaps he wants to keep it tight early on and grow into the game.

Jones' is clearly concerned about the size of Newcastle, so wants that extra CB. 

Edozie has flattered to deceive and may offer a nice option from the bench.

Amstrong has yet another chance down the middle, but I think he looked a genuine threat out wide last time.

Diallo had a good game against Newcastle last time, but can he repeat that? Hope so.

COYR.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSaint said:

Thanks, but is anyone getting sound on these?

Bottom one works best for me and it's not Sky so no need to put up with their one sided coverage. 

You have to click some writing at the top left of the picture a few times and clear the tabs that open up to get sound.

• Like 1

Just now, The Cat said:

Not since 1986 has a team who lost the first leg gone on to reach the final according to commentator on my stream.

Find that hard to believe but can't be arsed to check.

Pep hadn’t lost a quarter final until he bumped into us

Just now, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I hate to admit it but they do seem to make a cracking atmosphere, imagine if st Mary’s was a tough or intimidating place to come and play rather than a lovely warm environment for the away fans and players 

And they can actually sell out their stadium 

Just now, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I hate to admit it but they do seem to make a cracking atmosphere, imagine if st Mary’s was a tough or intimidating place to come and play rather than a lovely warm environment for the away fans and players 

They don't always. Been there a few times when it's been largely average even when they were winning.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(0) vs (1)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic