Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Should have rested him against Blackpool then.

That’s the popular thinking yes. Jones doesn’t agree and thinks Diallo is a better option for this opposition, as he did with the home game. As I say, i disagree, but it was absolutely nailed on that it was going to happen.

Not usually a fan of all the moaning about starting line ups but got to say I’m very surprised by that team. Disappointed to see a back three and not sure about the centre backs he has picked. 

Hopefully they have learnt to play the back three better than their last try!

Just now, Dan Johnson said:

Saturday the more important game for me reference Lavia, so no issue with the team, using the squad, they should all be fresh 

Bollocks to that, if we win the cup I won't be fussed if we go down. I'd even be ok with letting Jones try to bring us back up.

• Like 2

That team gets worse every time you look at it. A game we need to win by two and your only attackers are Che and Armstrong.

This obsession with Diallo over Lavia is utterly bizarre and I cannot believe both Lyanco and Bednarek are starting, yet DCC is on the bench and ABK was "rushed in" to play a fucking FA cup game instead. Not to mention Perraud being rewarded for being our only good player by being dropped for Bree cause he's his mate.

Hope somebody quotes this in 3 hours calling me a twat.

• Like 3

This line up makes absolutely no sense. No Perraud after Saturday, no DCC, no Edozie. Unless these players have fitness issues, this is a very strange line up. 
Would have gone for, 

Bazunu

Walker-Peters - DCC- Salisu - Perraud

Alcaraz - Lavia/Diallo

Edozie - JWP - A.Armstrong

Adams

• Like 2

Just now, Dr. Kucho said:

This line up makes absolutely no sense. No Perraud after Saturday, no DCC, no Edozie. Unless these players have fitness issues, this is a very strange line up. 
Would have gone for, 

Bazunu

Alcaraz - Lavia/Diallo

Adams

Well, we have five subs, so by no means is the starting lineup likely to be the finishing lineup 

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

20230131_190010.jpg

It looks like Nathan Jones has messed up our defence to fit Bree in. Surely, it would be better with Perraud on the left and Walker-Peters on the right, especially as Perraud was our best player in our last game. Let's hope Jones knows what he's doing and it turns out to be a masterstroke.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Would have gone for, 

Bazunu

Alcaraz - Lavia/Diallo

Adams

That’s what I would have gone with.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m not worried about the selection, in Nath I trust. But I am overflowing with adrenaline, absolute bag of nerves. Win lose or draw tonight, post match alcohol will definitely be required  if I want to have any chance of sleeping. 

It's weird, for a cup semi final I just don't feel anything at all. Got no expectation of getting a result.

I'm fully supportive of Jones but that line up is horrible. Hope by the end he's made everyone look stupid.

I haven't wanted to win this much since Leicester away after they spanked us. Everything is against us. We're the underdogs. Newcastle fans think they're in the final already. The media love them. We're irrelevant. The game may as well not be played cause Newcastle have already won. 

Let's give as good as we've got, stranger things have happened. 

COYR! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Sounds like a good job I decided not to bother with the punditry Newcastle love in. Game only for me, Ferdinand and Given last time time were unacceptably biased. Surprised Franny didn’t chin at least one of them. Prats.

This notion that they are such a special club. They are just northern fuckers with not much going on in their lives but for football….and coal… and whippets and shite diet

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing I'll say in defence of Bednarek is I remember him making a LOT of blocks and interceptions in situations like the one we conceded in against Newcastle last week. They got down our flanks and played balls across the box so easily and he is good at intercepting those.

• Haha 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic