Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

Just now, Saint_clark said:

The bloke is unhinged and losing it more and more every time we hear him speak. It's not so much that I feel sorry for him, more I worry about what will happen to him and those around him if he's pushed beyond his limit. 

He’d probably just grow another foot. At the front. 

1 minute ago, DT said:

Every other team in the premier has a decent manager, even Leeds. We have a wiry pub psychopath who just prattles on about front footedness all day long. 

And Ankersen is the smarmy, louche, wax-haired artisan coffee bar psychopath counterpoint to Jones’ pub psychopath…

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Never watched the game, but have just seen the classic Bednarek goal.

How did we do overall.  Did we show any of the metrics Rasmus talks about?

were there boos at the end? Jones cop any grief?

For first 60 minutes we were ok (though the sending off was extremely fortunate, not sure what he said to the ref but getting a second yellow for complaining about a foul is very rare). We then spent 10 minutes looking like might concede. Not sure what Nathan was doing in that period. Then Bednarek excelled himself in being even worse than he'd been in the first 70 minutes. Subs seemed very scattergun. 2 of our players took eachother out and the rest is history.

• Like 2

Just now, RedArmy said:

Not bringing in a keeper during January was a massive mistake. 

Forest bring in Keylor Navas on loan because Henderson might be out for a month and we do absolutely fuck all. 

Yet another game where Bazunu makes zero positive impact on events. He didn't touch the ball with his hands once, claiming crosses or making saves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

The bloke is unhinged and losing it more and more every time we hear him speak. It's not so much that I feel sorry for him, more I worry about what will happen to him and those around him if he's pushed beyond his limit. 

He needs to start listening to betting ads - know your fucking limits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

For 27 minutes we were a really aggressive, front footed team :mcinnes:

but arnt we supposed to play for at least 95 minutes that way and not just 27?......................if Bednarek plays in front of DCC and ABK you'd have to ask WHY.....................still at least Moi and Diallo weren't involved in the latest cluster fuck.

1 minute ago, Tanlee said:

How did we get on 😂 Couldnt make it today and didn't see any of build up or game. If he really played 5 at the back at any stage he clearly wants the boot. Definition of insanity 

yes, we played five at the back. AMN played CB. 

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Lemina off.

Decent manager licks his chops.

Back 4, extra man in mid, overrun them and cruise to victory. Not Rarebit, he shits himself and screams things that nobody listens to. 

Less of the rarebit comments please,  moosefucker - you’ve made your anti-Welsh comments clear. Cheers mush. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's been a strange day really, going into a game like this before not knowing what to expect - a bit of an unknown, but should I be surprised that I'm sat here after 5pm and we've lost a game after leading, yet again? For all the talk about a 'new approach', this was more of the same old bollocks that has engulfed us for many years.

In the first half we were on the front foot, but it was very hectic. Lots of going for the second balls, aggressive in the tackles etc. It worked to a point and it did unsettle Wolves, but there wasn't much glamour to our play in anyway. Sullemana was electric and gave us an out, as we hoped he would. Ounachu was strong and won most in the air - dragged a few Wolves defenders around him, and we were picking up the second balls. Alcaraz was great, lots of energy, snapping all over the pitch and a great little finish as well - he's a decent little player. The problem I can see with Ounancu is that he's not as mobile in the sense of a counter press, you can drop the ball up to him but I don't see him running after it and trying to catch CB's out.

The second half was there for us, we needed to come out and stamp our feet all over that game. 10 men, pace in the attack and they had a few players on yellows. But the tactical changes Wolves made at HT totally baffled us, they stuck two in the middle and kept the width - having Traore out wide kept us occupied so we couldn't commit too high, so it was a bold move in that sense. We still had more bodies in the middle, but we just didn't seem to know how to counter those changes.

We slogged that second half, we dropped back and let Wolves have a sniff in a game they shouldn't have had. For the 10 mins preceding the equaliser we were retreating, visibly you could see us dropping back and our intensity had just fallen through the floor. The equaliser was a mess though, I mean jesus christ - wtf? It had to Bednarek as well, he is the most clumsy and ungainly defender you'll ever see, we got rid of him because of that and brought in a Croatian CB to replace him. So in typical cluster-fuck-season-style, we bring Bednarek back and banish the Croatian CB we signed to replace him - go figure.

Sadly once they equalised that was it, you could tell. The heads dropped, the mood dropped, this team is just weak as piss. I don't care what anyone says but as an outfield captain JWP is the worst we've ever, ever, had. Inept. He really has no idea how to galvanise a group in the down moments. Those sorts of moments are when you need your experience and your captain to stand up, but he always sinks with the rest of them. This is not a new thing, apart from his free kicks it's the second most consistent theme since he's been a regular in our team.

One note on JWP's free kicks - whoever has decided to tell him to change it up, in the positions he was in, needs to be out of the door now. Shocking. The only way we score goals is through direct free kicks, so you let him take a direct free kick. Whoever instructed them to fanny around with it needs to be frog marched out of staplewood.

So as a summary the first half was decent, bit agricultural, but the second half was all we've become accustomed to really. Drifted, heads dropped, game gone. For all the fanfare about this being a game that was being done in 'jones way', it was very much the same of what we've seen for years. Jones will be out of the door now, I'd hope - one of the only saving graces from today - but there is still a contingent of players here who need to have a look in the mirror at themselves - this isn't a new situation (throwing away a lead), we are absolute fucking experts at it. Dreadful bunch. 

Whoever the new manager is isn't really important for now (I'd go with Selles for the rest of the season), I think if we know who we want and they're only available in the summer then we wait for that. No one can save us this year so there's no point looking at the table and trying to work out results, we were down after Forest really but today the fat lady is signing loud a clear. I reckon we'll be gone by early April. There is no taking this to the last day, much worse than 04/05.

• Like 11

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Ounachu was strong and won most in the air - dragged a few Wolves defenders around him, and we were picking up the second balls.  The problem I can see with Ounancu is that he's not as mobile in the sense of a counter press, you can drop the ball up to him but I don't see him running after it and trying to catch CB's out.

He is slow and was completely knackered after 40 minutes, yet did pretty much no pressing at pace. 

I have to say that I absolutely hate this signing. OK, he gives a bit of height, but that is it. He is a league standard footballer. Everyone involved in his signing should be fired IMO. He may score the odd goal, but how on earth we arrived at him as the player we need to score the goals to keep us up I will never know. I

• Like 3

Sulemana is a level above. Onuachu looks decent. Alcaraz was quality too and a great finish. I thought Maitland-Niles played well today. Caleta-Car is our best centre back and should be starting. Absolute joke that he's been dropped.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 5

Just now, Chez said:

He is slow and was completely knackered after 40 minutes, yet did pretty much no pressing at pace. 

I have to say that I absolutely hate this signing. OK, he gives a bit of height, but that is it. He is a league standard footballer. Everyone involved in his signing should be fired IMO. He may score the odd goal, but how on earth we arrived at him as the player we need to score the goals to keep us up I will never know. I

bro he's 6ft 10, imagine your lungs carrying that around, he wasnt bought for pressing

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

This was the theme in Belgium - often subbed in and around the 60th min, so obviously he was going to slog quicker in this league.

I think he brings us what we were lacking in terms of a presence, but there is certainly no long-term view about it in terms of any pattern of play.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's been a strange day really, going into a game like this before not knowing what to expect - a bit of an unknown, but should I be surprised that I'm sat here after 5pm and we've lost a game after leading, yet again? For all the talk about a 'new approach', this was more of the same old bollocks that has engulfed us for many years.

In the first half we were on the front foot, but it was very hectic. Lots of going for the second balls, aggressive in the tackles etc. It worked to a point and it did unsettle Wolves, but there wasn't much glamour to our play in anyway. Sullemana was electric and gave us an out, as we hoped he would. Ounachu was strong and won most in the air - dragged a few Wolves defenders around him, and we were picking up the second balls. Alcaraz was great, lots of energy, snapping all over the pitch and a great little finish as well - he's a decent little player. The problem I can see with Ounancu is that he's not as mobile in the sense of a counter press, you can drop the ball up to him but I don't see him running after it and trying to catch CB's out.

The second half was there for us, we needed to come out and stamp our feet all over that game. 10 men, pace in the attack and they had a few players on yellows. But the tactical changes Wolves made at HT totally baffled us, they stuck two in the middle and kept the width - having Traore out wide kept us occupied so we couldn't commit too high, so it was a bold move in that sense. We still had more bodies in the middle, but we just didn't seem to know how to counter those changes.

We slogged that second half, we dropped back and let Wolves have a sniff in a game they shouldn't have had. For the 10 mins preceding the equaliser we were retreating, visibly you could see us dropping back and our intensity had just fallen through the floor. The equaliser was a mess though, I mean jesus christ - wtf? It had to Bednarek as well, he is the most clumsy and ungainly defender you'll ever see, we got rid of him because of that and brought in a Croatian CB to replace him. So in typical cluster-fuck-season-style, we bring Bednarek back and banish the Croatian CB we signed to replace him - go figure.

Sadly once they equalised that was it, you could tell. The heads dropped, the mood dropped, this team is just weak as piss. I don't care what anyone says but as an outfield captain JWP is the worst we've ever, ever, had. Inept. He really has no idea how to galvanise a group in the down moments. Those sorts of moments are when you need your experience and your captain to stand up, but he always sinks with the rest of them. This is not a new thing, apart from his free kicks it's the second most consistent theme since he's been a regular in our team.

One note on JWP's free kicks - whoever has decided to tell him to change it up, in the positions he was in, needs to be out of the door now. Shocking. The only way we score goals is through direct free kicks, so you let him take a direct free kick. Whoever instructed them to fanny around with it needs to be frog marched out of staplewood.

So as a summary the first half was decent, bit agricultural, but the second half was all we've become accustomed to really. Drifted, heads dropped, game gone. For all the fanfare about this being a game that was being done in 'jones way', it was very much the same of what we've seen for years. Jones will be out of the door now, I'd hope - one of the only saving graces from today - but there is still a contingent of players here who need to have a look in the mirror at themselves - this isn't a new situation (throwing away a lead), we are absolute fucking experts at it. Dreadful bunch. 

Whoever the new manager is isn't really important for now (I'd go with Selles for the rest of the season), I think if we know who we want and they're only available in the summer then we wait for that. No one can save us this year so there's no point looking at the table and trying to work out results, we were down after Forest really but today the fat lady is signing loud a clear. I reckon we'll be gone by early April. There is no taking this to the last day, much worse than 04/05.

JWP is captain, on course to be all time freekick scorer in PL no one orders him to do a freekick routine. That was off his own back. The big question is why? Totally stupid especially the one in injury time. Bottled it or another reason? 👀

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

JWP is captain, on course to be all time freekick scorer in PL no one orders him to do a freekick routine. That was off his own back. The big question is why? Totally stupid especially the one in injury time. Bottled it or another reason? 👀

Thought the 2nd one was an okt decision, it was too close. AMN just fluffed it.

27 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

BBC solent straight onto covering Bournemouth, any idea where the saints post match is? 

Halftime in the bucket rattlers match. They provided a snippet from Nat in the build up - sounded like he’d had some media training booked in by Rasmus midweek but still talking bollocks. 

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Might not have been his decision. Maybe Jones and his coaches in the training sessions - you know, when they do all the good work we don't see - suggested that he not take a shot every time, maybe try something different. This would have pissed him off so perhaps he thought he'd show them how their new ideas would work out.

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

This went through my head too.  Yes it was close but you are JWP… did he do as he was told in training, or did he decide to do that?  

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This was the theme in Belgium - often subbed in and around the 60th min, so obviously he was going to slog quicker in this league.

I think he brings us what we were lacking in terms of a presence, but there is certainly no long-term view about it in terms of any pattern of play.

Lovely turn in the box too in 2nd half. Looked a pen but ref was never going to give it after odd Lemina red.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If were in the Championship I'd be disappointed with that signing. Who on earth thinks he's worth £18m. He will be Jones' Carrillo. 

Just now, Chez said:

If were in the Championship I'd be disappointed with that signing. Who on earth thinks he's worth £18m. He will be Jones' Carrillo. 

Nothing to do with Jones, he's a Rasmus signing. And he's not that bad, I think you've got a bit caught up in emotion on this one!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nothing to do with Jones, he's a Rasmus signing. And he's not that bad, I think you've got a bit caught up in emotion on this one!

nope. I am very calm. I just expect players at this level to be far far better technically. He will score some goals, but I don't want to watch players like him. I can do that in the Wessex league.

Jones set the criteria. It's his signing. He is exactly what he had at Luton. We may have well just signed Adebeyo - probably could have got him for about £5m.

Edited by Chez

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't judge him whilst Jones is in charge, under a decent manager he might be a totally different player. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic