Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

10 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Watching motd and thinking how we thought Hojberg wasn’t good enough for our team. He must laugh at our numpty fans.

Who did? Most could see how difficult that role is under Ralph, and Hojbjerg was a very decent player for us. His passing was frustrating though, which he's definitely improved at Spurs.

Unlike others I would be happy with a point as I think the loss of 2 home points hurts Leeds a lot more than us losing 2 away points. Of course, I would love a win but even a draw is good for us and keeps momentum going. Let's not lose though, that would be disappointing even in what will be a very tough game.

I think Sulemana will be key, he's clearly a quality ball carrier. Thought Enzo did well against him for chelsea because he didn't let him turn him and had the ability to push him towards the channels, but not sure the Leeds midfield and defence has the same quality. 

Would like to see what big Paul can do in the box, seems to be a good fit so far in hold up play.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

Unlike others I would be happy with a point as I think the loss of 2 home points hurts Leeds a lot more than us losing 2 away points. Of course, I would love a win but even a draw is good for us and keeps momentum going. Let's not lose though, that would be disappointing even in what will be a very tough game.

I think we're now in a position where draws against relegation rivals aren't really enough. If we can nick a win on Saturday it puts us completely back in it. Of course a draw wouldn't be the end of the world, but we can't expect to go to places like Stamford Bridge and win, and then lose against the likes of Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Everton, Forest, Bournemouth etc

• Like 2

Bazunu

KWP    ABK   Salisu  Perraud

Lavia     JWP

Stu           Sulemana

Adams  Onuachu

Possible argument that Adams and Tall Paul will be wanting to similar things, but I think having two that can hold it up a bit will allow the other to get in the box more and hopefully we could see some crosses into Paul. Would have no problems with Adams dropping out and Sulemana going up top with possibly Alcaraz being the other 10. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think we're now in a position where draws against relegation rivals aren't really enough. If we can nick a win on Saturday it puts us completely back in it. Of course a draw wouldn't be the end of the world, but we can't expect to go to places like Stamford Bridge and win, and then lose against the likes of Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Everton, Forest, Bournemouth etc

If we were ahead of these guys, then yeah you'd take a point away from home, but as we're already playing catch up we need to make the most of the oppertunites where we can inflict the most damage. This will enable us to go above Leeds, create a couple of points gap and give us the momentum.

If we win on Saturday then clubs above us, up as far as even Palace, will start to get a bit twitchy, as their next 6 weeks of fixtures are nasty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we were ahead of these guys, then yeah you'd take a point away from home, but as we're already playing catch up we need to make the most of the oppertunites where we can inflict the most damage. This will enable us to go above Leeds, create a couple of points gap and give us the momentum.

If we win on Saturday then clubs above us, up as far as even Palace, will start to get a bit twitchy, as their next 6 weeks of fixtures are nasty.

A draw at Leeds will be a good result its at st Marys we need to up our game both on and off the pitch we really need to get behind the team and change the atmosphere were far to quiet 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Bazunu

KWP    ABK   Salisu  Perraud

Lavia     JWP

Stu           Sulemana

Adams  Onuachu

Possible argument that Adams and Tall Paul will be wanting to similar things, but I think having two that can hold it up a bit will allow the other to get in the box more and hopefully we could see some crosses into Paul. Would have no problems with Adams dropping out and Sulemana going up top with possibly Alcaraz being the other 10. 

After a clean sheet at Chelsea I doubt Selles will change the back 4 even though I prefer yours.

28 minutes ago, saint77 said:

A draw at Leeds will be a good result its at st Marys we need to up our game both on and off the pitch we really need to get behind the team and change the atmosphere were far to quiet 

Problem is, we've already thrown away so many points at home, including losing to Forest, Wolves, Everton, Villa, and not beating West Ham or Leeds.  We now need to win home games, and take points off teams around us away.

We can't just rely on the below home fixtures now IMO. We probably need roughly 22 points, maybe 20 depending on how many we'll need to stay up.  My gut feeling is it'll be relatively high this season. Lets assume the ones I've highlighted we get 0 points...we need say 6 wins and a 4 draws from remaining 15 games. It's going to be incredibly tough to stay up from here without beating the teams around us.

Home Games

• Leicester
  • Brentford
  • Spurs
  • City - 0
  • Palace
  • Bournemouth
  • Fulham
  • Liverpool - 0

Away Games

• Leeds
  • Man Utd - 0
  • West Ham
  • Arsenal - 0
  • Newcastle - 0
  • Forest
  • Brighton
Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2

So we need 6 more wins (ideally 7). Outside Spurs City and Pool I’d say we need something out of all of those home games. 3 wins 2 draws and 3 losses minimum. Then we need to beat Forest and Brighton and at least draw with Leeds and West Ham. I think that may be enough.
it’s a frightening task but is doable - the problem really is our home games as to date we are a million miles away from that kind of form. That home turnaround needs to start with Leicester. We can’t afford to lose any 6 pointers from now on though.

13 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Would you want him over JWP or Lavia? I know I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t take him over Romeu either (the version from a season or two back). He’s doing a very simple job well, for Spurs. 

Id have him over Diallo or AMN. Id put him in the middle with Lavia with JWP on the right. There. Not difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

We stick with the same starting 11.

Bednarek and Elyounoussi know their roles, unless Orsic or Alcaraz manage to pick up 'playbook automatisms' very quickly we play the majority of the match in the same way.

Elyounoussi's role on Saturday was to be very defensively minded, something which we do not need in an absolute must win game against probably the worst team in the league right now. He'll have to be far more involved in the offensive side of things than he was vs Chelsea, and the few chances he had at that are definitive proof that he should be nowhere near this team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

So we need 6 more wins (ideally 7). Outside Spurs City and Pool I’d say we need something out of all of those home games. 3 wins 2 draws and 3 losses minimum. Then we need to beat Forest and Brighton and at least draw with Leeds and West Ham. I think that may be enough.
it’s a frightening task but is doable - the problem really is our home games as to date we are a million miles away from that kind of form. That home turnaround needs to start with Leicester. We can’t afford to lose any 6 pointers from now on though.

If, by the time we play Liverpool we need to win to stay up, I would take that all day long. 

I've got a feeling Leeds will be more nervous than us about this game. If we win, they are bottom.

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but Stu and Sulemana, with KWP and possibly Perraud to run directly at their already fragile defence  around their area, They are going to be shit-scared of tackling near their own box for fear of fouling, knowing that a JWP free-kick will follow. It worked with Stu doing just that at Chelsea. And if they don't put a tackle in, that opens up other opportunities for us.

• Like 4

I'm not quite sure what you're confused about there, @Saint Garrett.

1569843f6f6c0cec42a21f98e83c7579.png

This is not the player who you need in a must win game against 19th place Leeds. How anybody thinks otherwise is simply beyond me at this point. We've scored 2 goals (3 including JWP's rebounded penalty) from open play in 9 league games since the WC, we need more creativity in the team in these types of games and he is quite clearly not that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm not quite sure what you're confused about there, @Saint Garrett.

1569843f6f6c0cec42a21f98e83c7579.png

This is not the player who you need in a must win game against 19th place Leeds. How anybody thinks otherwise is simply beyond me at this point. We've scored 2 goals (3 including JWP's rebounded penalty) from open play in 9 league games since the WC, we need more creativity in the team in these types of games and he is quite clearly not that.

Personally I don't think this is a game we go all out to win from the start tbh. If we lose we're all but gone probably. 

If we can keep it tight for an hour and try and nick a goal from a set piece or a bit of good play then happy days. Although I agree we do need to win this game, I woudn't go as far as saying it's a "must win". 

I've got no problem with us going with a 4-2-2-2 and Elyounoussi is playing as one of the "10's". I probably wouldn't have him as one of the front 3 though in a 4-3-3. And looks like we'll go 4-2-2-2 now.

• Like 2

Just now, cloggy saint said:

Progressive carries, progressive passes rec, npxG + xAG, what the actual fuck does all this shite mean??

I mean half of that is remarkably self explanatory.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Personally I don't think this is a game we go all out to win from the start tbh. If we lose we're all but gone probably. 

If we can keep it tight for an hour and try and nick a goal from a set piece or a bit of good play then happy days. Although I agree we do need to win this game, I woudn't go as far as saying it's a "must win". 

I've got no problem with us going with a 4-2-2-2 and Elyounoussi is playing as one of the "10's". I probably wouldn't have him as one of the front 3 though in a 4-3-3. And looks like we'll go 4-2-2-2 now.

Fair enough. I think the disagreement is the importance of this game then, for me this is an absolute must win. We can’t continue to give all the teams around us points like we have.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds away build up - Saturday 3pm
1 hour ago, LegalEagle said:

It’s very simple. Look at the stats. Play Stuey and we probably won’t lose.

Totally agree. Players manipulate stats with their plinky-plonky sideways 'successful' passes. The quick five yard pass sideways free kicks when we're in the opposition half are particularly irritating. When a fit Stuey plays, we often win and that is a much more meaningful stat. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Totally agree. Players manipulate stats with their plinky-plonky sideways 'successful' passes. The quick five yard pass sideways free kicks when we're in the opposition half are particularly irritating. When a fit Stuey plays, we often win and that is a much more meaningful stat. 

Stu makes us a completely different proposition in a positive way. Supplies such energy and transition. I happen to think that not having Che near the team does too, but that's a different matter. 

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Elyounoussi's role on Saturday was to be very defensively minded, something which we do not need in an absolute must win game against probably the worst team in the league right now. He'll have to be far more involved in the offensive side of things than he was vs Chelsea, and the few chances he had at that are definitive proof that he should be nowhere near this team.

Elyounoussi was absolutely pants at Elland Road last season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not going to flood the entire thread arguing about the guy so I’ll leave it there. Fingers crossed he’s not in the team, or fingers crossed I get quoted calling me a twat at 4:30 if he is.

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't think you need a specify a ground for that one. 

That lasted well. You've made your point about a million times now mate. 

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

I’m driving up Saturday. Any advice on parking? I parked near the ground last time and it was a bit of a nightmare getting out. Thanks

Park in city centre, use the shuttle service bus from the arches by city station. Maybe not make your red and white colours evident...done it before with a Leeds fan but to be fair no issues at the ground even though wearing scarves...even skacel scored!!! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Says the bloke who posts about Ely over and over and over. 

With all due respect, you spend most of your time arguing against consensus about Elyounoussi and Bednarek whilst literally admitting you weren't watching the game we were talking about. You're comfortably the least informed poster on here at the minute and are just responding half the time to spark an argument. Are you Norwegian or something?

I'd prefer it if you didn't waste my time replying to me any more going forward because I don't think I've got any value out of anything you've posted this month.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

With all due respect, you spend most of your time arguing against consensus about Elyounoussi and Bednarek whilst literally admitting you weren't watching the game we were talking about. You're comfortably the least informed poster on here at the minute and are just responding half the time to spark an argument. Are you Norwegian or something?

I'd prefer it if you didn't waste my time replying to me any more going forward because I don't think I've got any value out of anything you've posted this month.

I think you're confusing me mate. If you're referring to the Chelsea game, I watched it. Anyways, happy to ignore you, please pay me the same respect. 

This new login of yours is in danger of becoming as tedious as your previous one by the way. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic