Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

On 22/02/2023 at 13:35, Raging Bull said:

If we do end up going down before the last game then I propose we turn the last match into this. The bull will be raging (and a little beaten up)

Nathan Jones' final training session with Saints. He had all but given up trying to explain his front footed and aggressive style of play........ and stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Fair enough. 

Caleta car has more career appearances than Bednarek? 

AMN admittedly has slightly more than KWP, thanks to 30 appearances on loan to Ipswich in the championship. 

I didn’t make my thoughts completely clear…more about the continuity and the Managers expectation of the defensive unit. They’re not my favourites by any stretch, but there’s a reason these guys are picked other than being ‘favourites’.

Took this from one of the Leeds forums - A fair number of injuries for them.

Leeds United v Southampton
Saturday 25th February@15:00 | Elland Road

If ever there were a relegation six-pointer this is it, as Leeds host Southampton on Saturday afternoon. The Saints may be bottom of the top flight (by one point), but Leeds recent form is worse. They haven't won in nearly four months, and are bottom of the form guide whether it be over six, eight or ten games.

New Manager Javi Gracia does not qualify for a work permit, and whilst it looks like his appeal will be successful, it's doubtful it will come in time for Saturday. To make matters worse, they also face a defensive crisis. Max Wober is rated doubtful after dislocating his shoulder at Goodison Park last weekend. Although Cooper was on the bench, Skubala bought on Kristensen, citing the skipper was only fit enough for a cameo role. With no first team action since the Villa game almost six weeks ago, it's unlikely he'll start.

Struijk too is a doubt. He was due to play last weekend, but complained of fogginess whilst training. Perhaps he was trying to escape, and ended up on the Yorkshire Moors. Ayling is expected to fill in at centre-back alongside Robin Koch, with Kristensen promoted to first team duties at right back.

Marc Roca is rated touch and go. The 26yo ha been struggling with a muscular injury for the last several weeks. January loan signing Weston McKennie will again deputise, alongside fellow USA International Tyler Adams. Brenden Arronson and Georginio Rutter both completed 45 minutes for the U21's on Monday evening, putting pressure on Patrick Bamford and Jack Harrison, who recent performances have been as appreciated as a Hull City season ticket. Rodrigo, Archie Gray, Adam Forshaw, Luis Sinisterra and Stuart Dallas remain sidelined.

Southampton will be without Valentino Livramento (muscular), Alex McCarthy (ankle), Juan Larios (groin) and Stuart Armstrong (muscular). Striker Che Adams faces a late fitness test.

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Southampton will be without Valentino Livramento (muscular), Alex McCarthy (ankle), Juan Larios (groin) and Stuart Armstrong (muscular). Striker Che Adams faces a late fitness test.

Big loss if Stu is definitely out. He makes us tick in the 4-2-2-2 formation

p.s. anyone know what is wrong with McCarthy's ankle? I don't remember it being announced as a major injury at the time but given how long he's been out for now it must have been pretty serious.

57 minutes ago, trousers said:

Big loss if Stu is definitely out. He makes us tick in the 4-2-2-2 formation

p.s. anyone know what is wrong with McCarthy's ankle? I don't remember it being announced as a major injury at the time but given how long he's been out for now it must have been pretty serious.

I'm not convinced he's out myself. i guess we'll find out at the presser later. No idea re Macca - he is in the training photos, as is Stu.

Edited by Saint86

27 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Good to see Caleta-Car all smiles (especially photo 32 with Stu)! Also noticed Larios is back in full(?) training, which is good - need as many fit as possible for the run-in!

Larios is a bit of an odd one this season. I've heard rumours he's not very settled. Prefers speaking Spanish and has struggled with not playing consistently (partly due to injury). Hopefully we can find a way to keep him happy as with Livramento still out for a while it is good to have another option at full back.

I never want to be in a position where JWP is filling in at full back ever again

I wouldn't rely on opposition press releases for Saints team news. :)

Their info is out of date. Stuey back playing already, Larios and Macca back in training. Only Tino definitely out. That's probably true that Che faces a late fitness test, however. We will probably find out at 1pm, although I'd be happy not to be told, knowing we keep our powder dry and the oppo manager doesn't know until 2pm what our team is going to be.

Interesting presser.  Sounds like we maybe won’t be far off having the same starting line up as we did for Chelsea, Salisu back but IMo will only make the bench.  I think he may even keep AMN in there as he had some very kind words about him specifically after the Chelsea game, although I hope KWP gets the nod.

30 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Embedded version

Loved the question along the lines of "if he hopes to make the position permanent come the end of the season"  - "Well the position is permanent and I am the manager" Followed by a brief Paddington stare, coupled with a look of "do you have any other stupid questions?".

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Larios is a bit of an odd one this season. I've heard rumours he's not very settled. Prefers speaking Spanish and has struggled with not playing consistently (partly due to injury). Hopefully we can find a way to keep him happy as with Livramento still out for a while it is good to have another option at full back.

I never want to be in a position where JWP is filling in at full back ever again

Well now that we've officially appointed a fellow Spaniard as manager, maybe that won't be such an issue.

First of all, wishing Selles and the technical staff all the best.
Selles seems to be smart, hungry and determined. He's obviously got the trust of the board and the players whilst I've only seen positive comments from us fans.
Glad we promoted internally (incl. Horseman taking up first team duties). In my professional sphere, we also try to do so - it increases employee engagement & retention, boosts moral & motivation for (not all) most staff and is usually cheaper & faster than external hiring.

I'd assume an unchanged line up today.
Maybe KWP for AMN but otherwise that starting 11 showed their worth last week
6 pointer so let's go for it...
COYS

1 hour ago, ButtikonSaint said:

First of all, wishing Selles and the technical staff all the best.
Selles seems to be smart, hungry and determined. He's obviously got the trust of the board and the players whilst I've only seen positive comments from us fans.
Glad we promoted internally (incl. Horseman taking up first team duties). In my professional sphere, we also try to do so - it increases employee engagement & retention, boosts moral & motivation for (not all) most staff and is usually cheaper & faster than external hiring.

I'd assume an unchanged line up today.
Maybe KWP for AMN but otherwise that starting 11 showed their worth last week
6 pointer so let's go for it...
COYS

Did Elyounoussi show his worth? Not sure he did or does… 

He does tell his team mates what to do all the time when he actually does sod all himself.

42 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Did Elyounoussi show his worth? Not sure he did or does… 

He does tell his team mates what to do all the time when he actually does sod all himself.

what's your alternative?
Sam Edozie has been taken from the firing line, Arma as a 10? Moussa ?

Edited by ButtikonSaint

Learnt my lesson last week after giving him both barrels about the team. Trouble is I'd been burnt by Jones and the performances he got out of the players. I trust Selles this week to put the team out he thinks is best for this game and you can bet that all of them will know their role and be clear about what is expected of them. I'm fine with Bednarek, Elyounoussi and AMN starting if that's what Ruben thinks is best. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic