Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

18 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

It’s pretty clear to me the issue - the team at the end of that game included - Bazuna, Bednerak, Maitland Niles, Diallo, Adam Armstrong, Mara, Walcott. Those players are mid championship at absolute best. Which incidentally is where we are heading.

I guess it’s because we are trying so hard to  stop conceding, but we simply don’t look like scoring from open play and we need to win games now. We’ve moved from missing easy chances and conceding regularly, to creating no chances and conceding slightly less regularly. 

I really don’t think those you mentioned would cut it in the championship, maybe they’d drift around the lesser European leagues, but they don’t have what is required to scrap away in the lower English leagues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep, today is the anniversary of a 2-0 Friday night win over Norwich at St Mary’s. Since then we’ve only beaten Arsenal and Chelsea at home in the league.

A game where we absolutely marmalised them, but if they had taken their two guilt edge chances at the death, could have got away with a draw. Even Norwich, a truely shit premier league side, were able to create a couple of decent opportunities. We couldn't even do that today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

https://www.skysports.com/premier-league-highlights/video/36504/12819907/leeds-1-0-southampton-premier-league-highlights

Video here. If you can’t watch it all the goal move starts just after two minutes. Just pretty shoddy all round.

Shocking all round but why isn't Bednarek launching himself to block instead of turning side on to make himself as small as possible - madness. Bazunu should  do better but Bednarek hinders rather than helps.  

• Like 6

I’ve just seen that and Benarek has to take the main share of the blame. Why the feck didn’t he just attack the ball? That joke of a player is going to get us relegated. Thanks a bundle Nathan Jones.

Coming to a cinema near you soon,

Bednarek - The Terminator

I had intended to call him The Regulator but there’s not a lot of difference.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Too much rum and ginger beer. Well, too much ginger beer.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

https://www.skysports.com/premier-league-highlights/video/36504/12819907/leeds-1-0-southampton-premier-league-highlights

Video here. If you can’t watch it all the goal move starts just after two minutes. Just pretty shoddy all round.

AMN is lacklustre. He could have shown a little more bite, but McKinnie is decent so perhaps didn't want to dive in, Diallo then has two. Not his fault. I honestly can't work out what Bednarek is trying to do. It's like he is trying to defend the near post, but then he turns side on, almost trying to not to deflect it in perhaps. Weird. Bazunu is the worst keeper I have seen at this level at blocking things close to him. I can appreciate the odd one goes in, but pretty much every one gores through him. He's like the polar opposite of Forster.

However, I don't just want to moan about those two. The rest of the side was fucking bollocks. I thought JWP played well, and Lavia looked as classy as always, but the rest? 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Selles interview up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64731017

Not much to argue with from what he said, though it was obvious to everyone.  We didn’t give ourselves a chance to win the game, I take responsibility, we looked lazy in pressure moments and buildup moments, we lost our identity, disappointing goal to concede, too much long ball, we didn’t break the lines enough, FA Cup game will see rotation in personnel.

Rotation in personnel? How about picking the absolute best 11 we have to see if they can possibly play as a coherent team? You never know it may work and what a shot in the arm that would be for Leicester. What he can’t afford to do is lose that Cup game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ve just seen that and Benarek has to take the main share of the blame. Why the feck didn’t he just attack the ball? That joke of a player is going to get us relegated. Thanks a bundle Nathan Jones.

Bednarek - The Relegator

• Like 1

Any manager that starts Bednarek or even includes him in the squad - straight away tells me that they’re not right for the job in the Premier League.  That’s just the starting point - then you have the likes of AMN, Bazuna, Moi etc… 

Selles got very lucky with the Chelsea win - on another day that could’ve easily been like 5-1 loss.  I find it all a bit crazy tbh as he’s been part of the whole set up for a long time & therefore part of the problem!  Can’t take to the bloke either - very arrogant, big ego, over animated, just trying to look & play the part!  Bad decision - whole setup is clueless 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I just dared to watch that goal and sums up the squad this year - I won't see an easier goal all year, far too easily out of the corner 2 vs 1, then in to the box far too easily,  utterly crap shot but still evades our defense and keeper.

So depressing - I think finally I accept we are on the way down after a few years of basically pretty much hanging on. Will be ridiculous if we turn this around, but if we don't I do think there's a very good Championship squad in there that won't attract the Prem. It's pretty clear not strenghtening our Champ level strikers cost us, but I think it runs through the team, especially the spine. Arguably the defense was better, then we brought back Bednarek.

Anyway, trying to stay positive, but we are 5 points adrift (GD) - could be a fun year next year if we do go to finally see some wins, and would be prize of the century if we stay.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Bednarek - The Terminator

I had intended to call him The Regulator but there’s not a lot of difference.

Bednarek doesn’t pick himself… Selles has to take some responsibility for team selection here…

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Any manager that starts Bednarek or even includes him in the squad - straight away tells me that they’re not right for the job in the Premier League.  That’s just the starting point - then you have the likes of AMN, Bazuna, Moi etc… 

Selles got very lucky with the Chelsea win - on another day that could’ve easily been like 5-1 loss.  I find it all a bit crazy tbh as he’s been part of the whole set up for a long time & therefore part of the problem!  Can’t take to the bloke either - very arrogant, big ego, over animated, just trying to look & play the part!  Bad decision - whole setup is clueless 

Have to say this is an accurate appraisal…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

Well that was pretty crap but not unsurprising really.

Players lose matches, but the manager has to take some responsibility. Bendarek, AMN, and Elyounoussi simply aren't good enough. Not that there is much else to choose from frankly. The team can accommodate one of them but not all three.

I'd imagine we'll see Mccarthy soon. Bazunu is OK, but as Brian Clough said OK isn't enough, it leaves the defense constantly looking over their shoulder.

I've said before points wise there is no issue as it is still very tight down the bottom. Just a win and a draw from safety.

However, performance wise there is a major issue. They simply cannot click as a team.

I'm also worried about the money the club has spent so far on players. Must be north of £100 million. Going to be very exposed if relegated. 2005 vibes anyone.

2 wins really, as weve got such a shit goal difference regarding getting out ,suppose thats why were where we are......................bollocks.

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Honestly dont know how you've reached that assessment. As for over-animated, you would be moaning if he just sat in the dugout. What do you want him to do? Hes on the sideline trying to get the best out of the team like 90% of managers - hardly trying to look the part

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Bednarek doesn’t pick himself… Selles has to take some responsibility for team selection here…

as do the other players in the side. Bednarek may not have done enough to block the shot, but the defeat is not on him. The rest of the team did little. Strikers that don't score, attackers that don't create, midfielders that don't dominate...need to share the blame.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

as do the other players in the side. Bednarek may not have done enough to block the shot, but the defeat is not on him. The rest of the team did little. Strikers that don't score, attackers that don't create, midfielders that don't dominate...need to share the blame.

I agree, but they never seem to change do they? What is wrong with these players that they keep producing these performances? I don't mind losing, every team loses, but it's the lack of spirit and "oh well never mind" attitude that we seem to have which annoys me 

• Like 1

Leeds we’re way better then us .. the way they managed to get in down the sides and cut balls back was different league to anything we came up with.. how many times did we do that ..

our attacking set up was really terrible couldn’t put anything together like mentioned above, no one showing for the ball no out balls .. a few times stuey was driving down the flank on his own with no support or pass on so just had to keep running .

also thought the point in the January window was to strengthen .. instead we have Orsic not making the squad,Alcaraz on the bench . Sulemana and Paul not lasting 70 mins and also not clicking/being used properly .. and we are reverting back to having pointless moi and janny B back playing which is actually going backwards 

shockingly disjointed today.. don’t we actually practice ideas at processing the ball in dangerous areas.. it’s like there was no plan and no one knew where to be or where to run

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 7

Sat in services on way home, depressed. That was typical of this bunch of fucking soft arse son in laws. Soft Goalkeeping, Julian Clearly has got stronger wrists than this bloke. Both full backs poor, Moi????. The big lump gets smaller when jumps and the other new lad is the very definition of “flatters to deceive”. 

Manager poor, the subs made us worse and the “effort” put in after they scored to get back in  the game was frankly pathetic. 

• Like 4

Bednarek and Bazunu both poor for the goal but bigger issue is once again creating and scoring from open play, that's what will cost us this season, especially against teams we have to break down. Mistakes at the back become bigger from the pressure built up by lack of quality at the other end. Would start Mara going forward as at least he's improved his hold up play lately. Get Sulemanu in the No 10 role instead. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Who’s really ok with it ?  Most on here wouldn’t pick them but have accepted Selles doesn’t want to change a winning team.

He Selles can get a tune out of them, that’s fine if it works.

I wouldn’t pick either of them but they deserve a start after last week.

I read plenty of posts saying that they trusted Selles’ team selection before the game. Just because we beat a below par Chelsea side with a particular set of players doesn’t mean a different selection wouldn’t have. He said himself not to read too much in his first team selection. I assumed that he was being conservative in his selection because it was Chelsea and he was using experienced players. I had expected a bolder line up against Leeds who are a very poor side, irrespective of what happened in the Chelsea game. The love-in over Selles this week has been bizarre to say the least, but we are back to reality again.  I hope that he is successful with us but he won’t be if he doesn’t grow a pair. I’m sure, if we are going to get relegated, that we would all prefer to go down in a blaze of glory - out with a bang rather than a whimper. His team selection against Leeds said whimper. Ralph used to talk a lot about being brave. Today’s team selection was anything but.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

2 wins really, as weve got such a shit goal difference regarding getting out ,suppose thats why were where we are......................bollocks.

But it really isn't the points. 6 points covers 7 teams, with 14 games to go that's nothing.

Yes we're 3 off the pace now, clearly candidate one for relegation.

Eventually one team then another will go on a run and take themselves out of the fight. That's why this game was a don't lose rather than must win game. A draw made the table look a lot closer.

Somehow Saints need to find a way to win a few games. Leicester will be saying that, starting with Saints.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Rotation in personnel? How about picking the absolute best 11 we have to see if they can possibly play as a coherent team? You never know it may work and what a shot in the arm that would be for Leicester. What he can’t afford to do is lose that Cup game.

The idea that we've got a "best 11" is bizarre. Each week people come on here saying who should be picked, the formation etc, but it's all bollocks. There's no magic formula that means we suddenly click, there's nobody in our squad that hasn't been given a chance and that is being left out disgracefully, our whole squad is much of a muchness and 3 managers now are not picking the same players because of some conspiracy or trying to be clever or just to annoy you, it's because that's our squad and they have all made mistakes at the back and been pretty toothless going forward.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, macca155 said:

But it really isn't the points. 6 points covers 7 teams, with 14 games to go that's nothing.

Eventually one team then another will go on a run and take themselves out of the fight. That's why this game was a don't lose rather than must win game. A draw made the table look a lot closer.

Somehow Saints need to find a way to win a few games. Leicester will be saying that, starting with Saints.

Win a few games...! How on earth are we going to win a few games.  We have just gone through a period of about seven winnable games, and won one, just one.   We got lucky with an out of form Chelsea and today have reverted to type, yet another gutless performance.   We will win a few games, between now and the end of the season, but we have basically meakly surrendered out premiership status without so much as a fight. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

The idea that we've got a "best 11" is bizarre. Each week people come on here saying who should be picked, the formation etc, but it's all bollocks. There's no magic formula that means we suddenly click, there's nobody in our squad that hasn't been given a chance and that is being left out disgracefully, our whole squad is much of a muchness and 3 managers now are not picking the same players because of some conspiracy or trying to be clever or just to annoy you, it's because that's our squad and they have all made mistakes at the back and been pretty toothless going forward.

I agree with this. Obviously Nathan jones was a disaster but the lack of cohesion particularly going forward has been a feature of our play for over 12 months and we now have a bloated squad where none of the new signings seem to have improved us. We spent a lot of time moving on one load of rubbish in hoedt, lamina etc and we will now move onto the next set of millstones 

We've been in decline for a long time, selling our best players, not reinvesting, letting the calibre of our youth academy slip, selling to poor owners. But it was reversible. The Serbs and SR, I confess, looked like our saviours, but some really poor managerial decisions have compounded error after error and sent us in a downward spiral. Ankersen appears to me to be the man most accountable.

- No replacement of Danny Ings / giving Ralph the striker he needed

- Lacking the courage to either back Ralph fully and stick with him, or to move him on earlier...they did the 'mushy middle' avoid-a-decision

- Letting Oriel Romeu go (admittedly, this one with a bit of hindsight)

- Gambling on a young goalkeeper for the future with no immediate alternative for such a crucial position

- Hiring Nathan Jones...OMG...of all the bad decisions this is the most catastrophic, unforgivable one. There was no need to take such a high risk gamble on an unknown, piss-poor manager - clearly without having done proper due diligence - and every reason not to do so

- Not firing NJ sooner when it was obvious he was a disaster

- Recalling Bednarek...another OMG! - how many fans would have done that. NOT recalling Tella at the same time!

- Attempting to hire Jesse Marsch (shows me the knee-jerk desperation mentality of the organisation...although I suspect Ankersen was reigned in by the board with sensible restrictions on the  short-term deal that killed it).

So we are where we are now and heading down. A different decision on any one of the above and it could have been a different story...

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 10

Back from game. Very passive throughout the game. Don’t deserve to stay up. Theo played well when he came on. At least he made runs and looked for space. Same with Perraud, only player looking forward.

Our new forward could be useful but now is not the time to be bedding him in. No-one running behind his head-ons. 

AMN waste of a player.

Anyway, not the end if the world. I quite fancy a trip around the leagues. Variety is the spice they say.

18 minutes ago, Micky said:

Win a few games...! How on earth are we going to win a few games.  We have just gone through a period of about seven winnable games, and won one, just one.   We got lucky with an out of form Chelsea and today have reverted to type, yet another gutless performance.   We will win a few games, between now and the end of the season, but we have basically meakly surrendered out premiership status without so much as a fight. 

That's why I said somehow. Only a fool would bet on our survival now.

Still a chance but receding fast.

51 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Sorry this is bollocks.

Six points is not "nothing", it's loads of points. 14 games is nowhere near enough games to turn it round.

We can win the next two, get those six points but we'd still be incredibly likely to be in the bottom three. 

We really need to stop pretending we're in some group with teams miles above us in the table and we're all battling it out.

We're not. We're stone bottom and we will be one the 3 relegated teams.

Get used to it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Shocking all round but why isn't Bednarek launching himself to block instead of turning side on to make himself as small as possible - madness. Bazunu should  do better but Bednarek hinders rather than helps.  

Looked like he thought it was such a weak shot that it would be comfortably collected by Baz. It was and it should have been but he still quite obviously should’ve cleared it. If there’s been a call from Baz then fair enough, didn’t look like there was though.  Anyway the fact the pair of them are getting starts for us in the Prem tells you all you need to know about why we are bottom of it.

• Like 1

Just got absolutely battered over the 90 minutes by a side that's likely getting relegated with us. The goal was coming all game. Shocking defending and even worse goalkeeping for it. On the cards because Selles selected AMN, Bednarek and the shit Skate keeper. Honestly Bazunu's role seems to be ushering the ball into the net and retrieving it again. Also Selles selected Moi for the midfield though I didn't see him do anything either defensively or going forward. Still a shambles from top to bottom. Have to beat Leicester or we are gone. If we can beat Leicester we might be feeling like we did after Chelsea. 

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Sorry this is bollocks.

Six points is not "nothing", it's loads of points. 14 games is nowhere near enough games to turn it round.

We can win the next two, get those six points but we'd still be incredibly likely to be in the bottom three. 

We really need to stop pretending we're in some group with teams miles above us in the table and we're all battling it out.

We're not. We're stone bottom and we will be one the 3 relegated teams.

Get used to it.

Bloody hell Eeyore have you given up already. Well if it's OK with you I won't until its done.

Obviously at the moment we are stone cold relegated, no debate there.

My point was that the points issue isn't the main obstacle. The complete lack of any form or ideas is.

Next week Saints play Leicester. Let's believe we can win it Chelsea style. Bournemouth lose to Arsenal, Leeds lose to Chelsea, both likely. Suddenly Saints are off the bottom and in the mix. From then on it's about matching the other teams not catching them. A very different prospect.

More likely to be cut adrift but the opportunity remains.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Bloody hell Eeyore have you given up already. Well if it's OK with you I won't until its done.

Obviously at the moment we are stone cold relegated, no debate there.

My point was that the points issue isn't the main obstacle. The complete lack of any form or ideas is.

Next week Saints play Leicester. Let's believe we can win it Chelsea style. Bournemouth lose to Arsenal, Leeds lose to Chelsea, both likely. Suddenly Saints are off the bottom and in the mix. From then on it's about matching the other teams not catching them. A very different prospect.

More likely to be cut adrift but the opportunity remains.

We win next week and we will be either bottom or second bottom, second bottom because a team that will also be relegated have lost to the team at the top of the league.

That's not "in the mix". That's "relegation candidate team wins an occasional match".

It's not about being Eeyore, I've spent the last few years telling lunatics on this forum that were absolutely convinced we were going down that we obviously weren't - last season, and the season before, and the season before that. On and on some people went about how we were being "dragged into it" when we had the points on the board and it was clear we were safe.

This year, its the other way round, sadly.

There comes a point when you can see it. There's not enough games left, we are not suddenly going to hit top 8 form to turn it round. I want us to win next week, just like every week. But a spade is a spade.

In all honesty I really want to see us get a trip to Wembley, thats far more interesting to me now.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We win next week and we will be either bottom or second bottom, second bottom because a team that will also be relegated have lost to the team at the top of the league.

That's not "in the mix". That's "relegation candidate team wins an occasional match".

It's not about being Eeyore, I've spent the last few years telling lunatics on this forum that were absolutely convinced we were going down that we obviously weren't - last season, and the season before, and the season before that. On and on some people went about how we were being "dragged into it" when we had the points on the board and it was clear we were safe.

This year, its the other way round, sadly.

There comes a point when you can see it. There's not enough games left, we are not suddenly going to hit top 8 form to turn it round. I want us to win next week, just like every week. But a spade is a spade.

In all honesty I really want to see us get a trip to Wembley, thats far more interesting to me now.

I get that and I agree, let's have a cup run to enjoy.

So much depends on whether Selles can get something out of the squad.

• Like 1

Was there some kind of training ground bust up this week? AMN, Perraud, ABK all came out wearing bandages. I know we're a bunch of crock but they looked dressed for a rugby union match...

Genuinely don't believe this crop of players have it in them to keep us up. Lavia is the class act and he can spot a pass but there's no-one up front who seems to find that yard of space. And I get Tall Paul and Stu A. coming off but why is Sulemana also always knackered?

Not giving up yet. Mara is looking better each game but have to say Leicester is big. Ironic that I was talking to some Leicester fans leaving the ground earlier in the season and they were saying what a crap manager they had and how lucky we are. Hmmnn...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Edozie played for the kids team last night. I think he was having too much pressure put on him. I had an argument with someone on FB last night because they called Edozie a waste of money because he has no end product because he has 0 goals or assist. Football fans are so autistic.

Yeah, he’s missed a couple of sitters this season, but he’s still only a teenager. I’d go as far to say there have been a good few games this season where he’s near enough been our only attacking threat going forward. 

His assist stats are probably not helped by the fact he’s been playing alongside some of the least “potent” attackers in the Prem.

Let’s see what he can do in a team with some of our new January editions 

2 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Bazunu is in the wrong position (again) but it shouldn't even reach him. The build up to it is just as bad but my god... It's legit harder not to get a foot on it than it is to allow it past him. Wanker.

Bedfucknarek.png

He seemed to turn to the side and let it past him in was like a ref moving out of the way so a pass doesn’t hit him. Pathetic 

• Like 2

Just watched the highlights.

Christ, if Leeds had semi-competent attacking players they’d have scored five or six in the first half against us.

That said when they’re up against a less than competent defence they were still going to score.

Bednarek did Bazunu no favours. Neither cover themselves in glory for that goal, but Bednarek takes more blame there. He is the defence. Quite simply he didn’t defend, he didn’t even attempt to.

Leicester is the final opportunity. Everyone says fourteen games to go but this is the worst squad I’ve ever seen. A lot of it I think is confidence, but there aren’t many with a strong mentality in that squad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

AMN was ok last week but yeah i don't get the logic in not playing 1 of our best players because we won last week.

It’s a strange one to say the least, the only logical explanation would be that he’s not up to full fitness; Although Perraud, who actually had a good game, started & he was clearly not fully fit. 

I think we can all agree that John Terry is a disgraceful human being, but he was a good defender. Can you imagine someone like him doing what Bednarek did today? An absolutely cowardly moment from Janny B. Please fuck him off, and keep him fucked off forever. It’s also pitiful that we need a 41 year old to take over the gloves from the current incumbent. 

• Like 4

Never thought I’d say this but we are missing Che. Whilst he misses the easy ones at least he creates opportunities and holds the ball up well. He is still our best forward at the club. Big tall Paul will not make it at this level. Someone made a comparison recently with him and Pelle. I wish.

• Like 1