Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Yeh we're going down.

Team needs to become a team and not 4 player and 7 strangers.

Selles needs to bring them together in a more aggressive attacking stance .

We're down.

Nothing to lose.

Just fight, take risks and lose gracefully.

Fuck it.

Then we might win.

Edited by Secret Site Agent

After watching that shit show my thoughts are:

1. Poor team selection: Why didn't KWP and DCC start for example?

2. We were really passive. If we're going to lose I'd prefer to lose trying to win and with a little bit of fight

3. Leeds were shit and we deservedly lost to them. Pretty much says all you need to know

4. Personally, I'd be happy never to see Bednarek, AMN, Moi, Walcott, A Armstrong never play in a Saints shirt again

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

The whole club stinks, it’s hard to pinpoint the exact problem but there is a mentally weak culture that has existed since we lost Fonte and one or two others that’s gradually got worse and worse

this lot have shown they have the ability but when the pressure is on they always blow it 

We have let the quality erode out of the club over time, Fonte, Hoijberg, Ings, Oriel, and a good few others all gone.  All needed replacing with proven quality at prem level, but weren't.   We gambled far too much on youth and untried players at this level and it has failed miserably. Back in the day we were built from a top notch goalkeeper, with good defenders in front of him, then we had midfielders who could win and create, but we also had strikers that could score.  There is none,  none of that in this 'team' of misfits,  sorting this mess out is going to take some time.  We tried to be to clever, you reap what you sow.

• Like 6

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

2. We were really passive. If we're going to lose I'd prefer to lose trying to win and with a little bit of fight

3. Leeds were shit and we deservedly lost to them. Pretty much says all you need to know

4. Personally, I'd be happy never to see Bednarek, AMN, Moi, Walcott, A Armstrong never play in a Saints shirt again

I didn't see a huge issue with the team from the outset, in fact I expected it. One of my criticisms from this season has been the constant chopping and changing, never a chance for relationships or partnerships to develop - so I somewhat expected us to keep it simple and go with the 'don't change a winning team' formula.

Sadly we just didn't turn up, we couldn't keep the ball and the gap between the front and the midfield was too big. Sullamana too close to Big Paul, Armstrong and Elyounoussi the other attackers who were truly inept. We had nothing in that final third.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Couldn't we, just once have pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Selles and cruised to a swashbuckling 3-0 win to getvthe confidence flowing though the club and condemn Leeds to more misery? Nah, of course not.

Not sure I'd have wanted to be one of those crazy people wandering the streets, desperately telling everyone I could get hold of that the world was wrong and reality twisted by unseen forces. 3-0 win? confidence? we don't even own a swash, never mind know how to buckle it. 🙂

I watched 80 plus minutes of that and I saw two really poor teams, with Leeds slightly better. On todays showing, we are certs for the drop.

How have we ended up with such a very poor squad. Some don’t look fit and the big majority are not premier quality. Extremely disappointing effort.

We need doers. Actual doers. Have a goers. Not the weak as piss, sometimes lumbering, often mesmerisingly crap members of this squad. So, please, Ruben - no more of the following…

…Onuachu. He really isn’t going to do anything unless it’s on a plate. If we need a siege tower, bring him off the bench. Otherwise, drop. Talking of dropping, how about completely excluding…

… Bednarek. I couldn’t care less if he is a voice. More importantly, he’s a fucking liability. Don’t care what he said about us/Villa. I couldn’t give a monkeys ball bag if DCC “isn’t quite suited” to this high press thing we apparently play. That doesn’t stop you playing…

… Moi. This most consistently bizarre selection of them all. He can’t run. He can’t dribble. He cannot shoot. He cannot pass. If he does something, he does it at dial-up speed. And if there’s something wrong with Moi, there’s definitely nothing wrong with…

… Bazunu. Except he doesn’t save anything. What is wrong with a big Willie? I’ll tell you what, nothing. Nothing at all. Get big Willie in there and allow us to stand tall and proud. I do feel for Gav a little, he’s had to play behind the biggest bunch of bottlers since Coca-Cola. Now that’s an old institution, but not much older than…

… Theo. I get it, I do. The sentimentality of it all. But he’s going to assist us in going back down to the league in which we gave him his debut. Which, unfortunately, is the only assist he’s likely to provide this season. Talking of Arsenal connections…

… AMN. My distant second favourite Ainsley. He’s ponderous, lazy and yes, he adds a bit of height at the back but is too often caught out. Do not drop Perraud to accommodate KWP. Give KWP his rightful spot back.

Ruben, please. If we’re gonna go down, please can we go down fighting. Can we at least be carried out on our shield. 

Alcaraz. Even bloody Adam Armstrong. Grafters. Some players with a bit of fire in their bellies.

If they haven’t got that as a minimum then they shouldn’t be involved in the last 14 games. The fans deserve better.

This squad and the previous rotating set of bastards since Koeman have tortured us with ineptitude, empty platitudes and pitiful performances in an abundance.

No more pragmatism. No more lumbering around and half-hearted presses. We need points. We need to have a go at this. Let us enjoy the last 14 games and restore a bit of pride, if nothing else. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Need probably 18 more points just to be in the final mix so 6 wins out of 14 games left. That's looking tough but after City and Chelsea there is a team in there somewhere. My money would be on us getting relegated but there is still some hope that the new guy can coax out that team rather than this Leeds team.

Pathetic performance. We barely had a go against another team in desperate form, thats unforgiveable. Even worse than some of the performances our favourite guy from the valleys oversaw. Its like 2 steps forward (after Chelsea) and then 3 steps back for Selles. But he did take ownership of the performance which is something.

At least more of our fans are finnally coming to the realisation that we're heading for the drop, its only been on the cards for about the last 9 months...

Fed up of players coming out pretty much every week with the same shite "we weren't good enough" "we need to do better" "we'll learn from it and do better next week". Too fucking late, yous have had ample opportunities to improve and its the same dross dished up week after week.

• Like 1

I’m just back from the game and that ranks right up there with one of the most insipid and turgid displays I’ve seen - and there’s been a few. We had nothing absolutely nothing to lose today by going at them but Mellier never even got out of neutral. It’s early days with Selles but that performance was right out of Ralph’s playbook so if that’s where we are then clearly he’s not the answer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Here we go again, moan, moan, moan.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Just back from the game. Awful away end (In regards the stadium), awful day ... truly awful performance but I will say this.

I believe we will stay up. 

Believe.

Amos come quickly, it's Yorkshire Saint ees int top field...summuts wrong with 'im...

• Haha 2

We are 4 points adrift and todays game was a massive blow. 
next weeks game is massive, but if we win and more importantly show some fight I believe a miracle could happen. 
For me it’s all on the manager, he needs to react to that, nobody can blame him for sticking to his winning team but now he needs to be ruthless. We all know the players that need to be dropped/taken out of the firing line. Keep the faith  

• Like 2

Selles interview up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64731017

Not much to argue with from what he said, though it was obvious to everyone.  We didn’t give ourselves a chance to win the game, I take responsibility, we looked lazy in pressure moments and buildup moments, we lost our identity, disappointing goal to concede, too much long ball, we didn’t break the lines enough, FA Cup game will see rotation in personnel.

Went to the game and sat in the Leeds stand.

I thought we looked ok defensively but that’s as much to do with Leeds offering  little attacking threat.  We offered literally nothing going forward and I mean nothing. Moi was largely anonymous and the front two were pretty impotent. Scary they cost £40million and we look less threatening than with AA playing. Was directly behind the player when he shot and scored and thought it was an another keeping error but I will reserve judgment until I see it on TV. Overall a dreadful game and it was really depressing how poor we were offensively. I just don’t think we were set up right and the gap between the front two and the rest was too great to generate any real cohesive play. I also don’t understand how the big guy will score at this level but let’s see how he does in the championship 

• Like 1

We are the shittest team in the league and not just because we have the players the forum hates, it's also because the ones the forum doesn't hate aren't all that either. 

We ain't getting 18 more points. We have scored just 19 goals in 24 games. Only Wolves and Everton have scored less, while only Leicester, Forrest and Bournemouth have conceded more. Can't score and can't stop conceding. What a terrible combination. Without JWP's free kicks, we'd already be pretty much down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Just watching the goal again....where do you even start with that. So many mistakes in the space of 4 seconds

Me too and thought exactly the same

Absolutely pathetic from about 5 players, so poor and WTF was Bednarek doing? 

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Selles interview up.

Not much to argue with from what he said, though it was obvious to everyone.  We didn’t give ourselves a chance to win the game, I take responsibility, we looked lazy in pressure moments and buildup moments, we lost our identity, disappointing goal to concede, too much long ball, we didn’t break the lines enough, FA Cup game will see rotation in personnel.

Noticed a few times he was urging the players to get up the pitch and press them and there was still no urgency from these shithouses that call themselves professional footballers. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

We are the shittest team in the league and not just because we have the players the forum hates, it's also because the ones the forum doesn't hate aren't all that either. 

We ain't getting 18 more points. We have scored just 19 goals in 24 games. Only Wolves and Everton have scored less, while only Leicester, Forrest and Bournemouth have conceded more. Can't score and can't stop conceding. What a terrible combination. Without JWP's free kicks, we'd already be pretty much down.

We don’t keep clean sheets so we generally need to score 2 or more to win but we can’t score either so there is the problem. 

(yes MLG/Bad Wolf/Saturdaygirl etc I know we one 1-0 at Chelsea and Bournemouth but they were our only clean sheets this season)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Selles interview up.

We looked lazy? Jesus wept we are in a relegation battle and the players are being lazy! 

19 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Fed up of players coming out pretty much every week with the same shite "we weren't good enough" "we need to do better" "we'll learn from it and do better next week". Too fucking late, yous have had ample opportunities to improve and its the same dross dished up week after week.

they do their best. It's just that their best isn't good enough.

Leeds are terrible. We made them look good. I watched some of their recent games and they were not good enough to cope with the pressure put on them by opponents, but against us they had so much time, and were so comfortable as a result.

It’s pretty clear to me the issue - the team at the end of that game included - Bazuna, Bednerak, Maitland Niles, Diallo, Adam Armstrong, Mara, Walcott. Those players are mid championship at absolute best. Which incidentally is where we are heading.

I guess it’s because we are trying so hard to  stop conceding, but we simply don’t look like scoring from open play and we need to win games now. We’ve moved from missing easy chances and conceding regularly, to creating no chances and conceding slightly less regularly. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We looked lazy? Jesus wept we are in a relegation battle and the players are being lazy! 

Against Chelsea our lot just looked so up for it, especially first half. It was classic saints at their best when under Ralph, high energy and working for each other. Today we just looked second best to everything, it was a performance exactly of the likes that got Ralph sacked.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Just watching the goal again....where do you even start with that. So many mistakes in the space of 4 seconds

describe it to me if you don't mind? I cant face MOTD when we lose.

I thought the blame was entirely down to AMN and maybe Mara for their casual defending. But who should have been marking Firpo? Could Bednarek and/or Bazunu really do anything to stop it? 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

describe it to me if you don't mind? I cant face MOTD when we lose.

I thought the blame was entirely down to AMN and maybe Mara for their casual defending. But who should have been marking Firpo? Could Bednarek and/or Bazunu really do anything to stop it? 

https://www.skysports.com/premier-league-highlights/video/36504/12819907/leeds-1-0-southampton-premier-league-highlights

Video here. If you can’t watch it all the goal move starts just after two minutes. Just pretty shoddy all round.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Could Bednarek and/or Bazunu really do anything to stop it? 

Straight out of the ‘turn away from the shot and make yourself as narrow as possible’ Bednarek playbook. If you’re going to stand a yard in front of the keeper blocking his view, at least have the decency to throw yourself in front of something. He looks like he’s trying to let a guy in a wheelchair get past him in a narrow corridor, not defend a corner.

9A8EF0AF-8D32-4E57-9246-29A479E31C53.jpeg

• Like 5

Can anyone explain to me why Bednarek is even allowed to wear a Saint's shirt.When he went to Villa he as good as said he hated the club and was glad to be out of it,he doesn't give a toss about the club and his absolutely awful performances prove that,it's almost as though he's hell bent on relegating us.

• Like 6