Bednarek Today

Crouchie's Lawyer

As much as I don't agree with what he did when he left to go on loan to villa and prior to today's game I don't personally understand why he has walked into the team and is seemingly first choice CB now, I do have to take my hat off to the bloke in the aftermath of Cesar Azpilicueta's horrific injury today. Jan ran through a number of players to get to CA to see if he was ok and appeared to take control of the situation in trying to help him. Fair play to him doing that. Being that bit more experienced (international who has played a lot of games for us in the prem, slightly older than a lot of our team) he obviously thought he could help out a fellow human and football went out the window. People like that in every day life are often highly praised and said to be courageous and that's what he was today.

Like him or not, we are all quick to slag off players when they have done something stupid, like his OG last week, but we don't seem to praise much when they do something good, so I just wanted to say I thought highly of him today (as well as the fact that from what I have seen on MoTD, played very well) for doing that. Well done Jan.

• Like 13

"Cometh the hour, cometh the man' Well played Jan. Do not care if he dribbles the ball across the line every game for the rest of the season, today when he saw a fellow players life in danger he stepped up BIG TIME and did the right thing immediately HERO no doubt. Thank you Jan.

Edited by HnycS
  • Like 1

Fair play to him, probably a really decent lad just a shame he wound up the fans with his comments going to Villa as he's been a decent servant for a number of years and does seem to care. 

Are we still allowed to call him Janny B now Jones has gone? 

Start of the game, teams walked out. All the players other than him and ANM clapped our fans.

After the game all the players came over but he was the first back down the tunnel by a fair way.

Did play well yesterday. Didn't give their strikers a chance to turn, was all over them as they received the ball. Made some good clearances. Definitely looked more comfortable and happy playing with Bella Kotchap than Salisu.

Some of his usual stuff was there although he didn't so quite as much of it. A number of times he didn't engage when he should of done and instead backed off, was out of position a number of times, marked space rather than a man at almost every corner (while failing to address any of the runners), moaned at other players when he failed to pick people up, ... He just got away with more because ABK was immense.

• Like 1

Like Stephens he always was okay in backs to the wall type games, it’s when we’ve got more if the ball his concentration and positioning goes to shit. Well done to him today but we’ve seen these performances before only Uk be followed by a costly lapse soon after, still don’t rate him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Like Stephens he always was okay in backs to the wall type games, it’s when we’ve got more if the ball his concentration and positioning goes to shit. Well done to him today but we’ve seen these performances before only Uk be followed by a costly lapse soon after, still don’t rate him. 

Hopefully Salisu back for the next game. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Just not having it with him.

Appreciate the part in the clean sheet yesterday but we all know what'll happen soon. Get him out the team whilst we can.

Dropping a CB after he helped us keep a clean sheet just in case he might make a mistake is an unusual approach. I wouldn't touch the spine of our team unless there's an injury. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Dropping a CB after he helped us keep a clean sheet just in case he might make a mistake is an unusual approach. I wouldn't touch the spine of our team unless there's an injury. 

It is an unusual approach but I would do it simply because it is Bednarek.

Rather get in before he costs us another game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

It isn’t just in case though. It is inevitable 

It really isn't. He looked solid alongside ABK. Less so with Salisu who hasn't been in good form but for whatever reason he seems beyond criticism. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

It does make sense to have an experienced CB in there alongside ABK and in front of the kid in goal.

Just not one as crap as Bednarek. Salisu and DCC have more than enough experience between them to partner ABK, they aren’t kids. Bednarek’s unique ability to score the opener in a 3-2 defeat and being the only footballer in PL history to score -7 in a fantasy football game week don’t add anything to our team.

He is our fifth best centre half. I don’t care that he had a good game at Chelsea, he hasn’t suddenly become good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

…,,  I do have to take my hat off to the bloke in the aftermath of Cesar Azpilicueta's horrific injury today. Jan ran through a number of players to get to CA to see if he was ok and appeared to take control of the situation in trying to help him. Fair play to him doing that. Being that bit more experienced (international who has played a lot of games for us in the prem, slightly older than a lot of our team) he obviously thought he could help out a fellow human and football went out the window. People like that in every day life are often highly praised and said to be courageous and that's what he was today.

Serious note: yes, very commendable and have to acknowledge him for that.

Not so serious though: could we lend him to the rescue mission in Turkey for the rest of the season ? 

4 hours ago, egg said:

I don't understand... "just in case he might"... do you not have eyes and/or a memory? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Bednarek (and Elyounoussi) know their roles in the system that's been adapted from Hassenhüttl's playbook.

Yes we have better defenders than him, but in knowledge of positioning for not only himself but talking to whoever he's playing centre back with and arguably also relating information to Lavia and AMN, I can see how he got picked yesterday, and how he gets on the team sheet for Leeds.

• Like 3

So, according to what I have read above Bednarek does worst when he partners Salisu, yet some of you are suggesting that our best partnership is Salisu and ABK. Also, ABK is better with an experienced partner and again Salisu is being touted as that guy!

What about DCC? Surely he is a better and more experienced partner for ABK?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Bednarek (and Elyounoussi) know their roles in the system that's been adapted from Hassenhüttl's playbook.

Yes we have better defenders than him, but in knowledge of positioning for not only himself but talking to whoever he's playing centre back with and arguably also relating information to Lavia and AMN, I can see how he got picked yesterday, and how he gets on the team sheet for Leeds.

he was certainly in a great position to score his latest OG v Wolves

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Just not one as crap as Bednarek. Salisu and DCC have more than enough experience between them to partner ABK, they aren’t kids. Bednarek’s unique ability to score the opener in a 3-2 defeat and being the only footballer in PL history to score -7 in a fantasy football game week don’t add anything to our team.

He is our fifth best centre half. I don’t care that he had a good game at Chelsea, he hasn’t suddenly become good.

Lyanco is not better than Jan.

Our best centre back table is

1. ABK

2. DCC

3. Salisu (over a year ago he would have been number 2 but horrendous form)

4. Bednerek (Him and Salisu should never pair each other again if 1 or 2 are fit)

5. Lyanco (Only good for cup games and bringing him on for 10-15 to hold on for a win)

Jack Stephens could come in almost anywhere in that table at times. Have seen him play to an extremely high level one week then would struggle to be above Lyanco in that list in the next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, according to what I have read above Bednarek does worst when he partners Salisu, yet some of you are suggesting that our best partnership is Salisu and ABK. Also, ABK is better with an experienced partner and again Salisu is being touted as that guy!

What about DCC? Surely he is a better and more experienced partner for ABK?!

Yes, Salisu has made over 60 Prem appearances over the last two years, he’s not new to this league. He’s been here long enough to see us play every team five times. Salisu is a long way from perfect but he’s better than Bednarek.

• Like 1

Five Prem wins this season.                                                          Worst defeats (conceding 3 or4 goals )             

2  with ABK and Salisu as CB's                                                      ABK and Salisu ( twice )  

2  with CC and Salisu     and 1 ( yesterday) JB and ABK             JB and Salisu  - twice

Lyanco / Salisu -  once

CC / Salisu  - once

Defeats by one goal margin 

4 times with ABK /Salisu combination

5 other combinations conceded once.

Not much to argue about there except...that but Salisu is the common factor whether we win or lose.

4 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Five Prem wins this season.                                                          Worst defeats (conceding 3 or4 goals )             

2  with ABK and Salisu as CB's                                                      ABK and Salisu ( twice )  

2  with CC and Salisu     and 1 ( yesterday) JB and ABK             JB and Salisu  - twice

Lyanco / Salisu -  once

CC / Salisu  - once

Defeats by one goal margin 

4 times with ABK /Salisu combination

5 other combinations conceded once.

Not much to argue about there except...that but Salisu is the common factor whether we win or lose.

Which games had Lavia playing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I don't understand... "just in case he might"... do you not have eyes and/or a memory? 

I have a great memory of yesterday's game. I watched us keep a clean sheet away at Chelsea with Bednarek marshalling a back 4 to a clean sheet. But yeah, let's bang on about other games this season where we've been managed by Jones, and Bednarek has been partnered by Salisu who's been woeful, or he's had to play in a badly coached back 3/5.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes, Salisu has made over 60 Prem appearances over the last two years, he’s not new to this league. He’s been here long enough to see us play every team five times. Salisu is a long way from perfect but he’s better than Bednarek.

One measure you can use to support your claim is the likelihood of Salisu being sold in the Summer for good money while I doubt there will be much  interest in Bednarek.   Having said that, he didn't let anyone down on Saturday.   I didn't realise Salisu was injured and given the situation with Caleta-Car, Bednarek was a better choice than Lyanco.  If Salisu recovers for Leeds it will be interesting to see what Selles does at CB.

14 hours ago, egg said:

It's not "just in case" though is it, we all KNOW he's going to make an almighty cock up again and probably soon. Why wait until that happens to drop him? Why not cash in your chips while you're up instead of betting it all on red for the second time running? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Garth's team of the week

Meanwhile, his inclusion of JWP was just an excuse to talk about Chelsea...

"If anyone is going to pull Southampton out of their current situation it's Ward-Prowse. Championship football is out of the question for the likes of him, he is far too good for that level. The Saints showed real grit against Chelsea and Ward-Prowse his quality.

So Chelsea have spent over £600m in the transfer window and had to turn to a 20-year-old unknown in David Datro Fofana to provide them with the goals they desperately need. Is this a joke? I said last week I wasn't sure if owner Todd Boehly knew what he was doing. I'm now asking the same question of manager Graham Potter.

The apprehension in the air at Stamford Bridge against Southampton was penetrating. We all know it can't go on like this."

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Meanwhile, his inclusion of JWP was just an excuse to talk about Chelsea...

"If anyone is going to pull Southampton out of their current situation it's Ward-Prowse. Championship football is out of the question for the likes of him, he is far too good for that level. The Saints showed real grit against Chelsea and Ward-Prowse his quality.

So Chelsea have spent over £600m in the transfer window and had to turn to a 20-year-old unknown in David Datro Fofana to provide them with the goals they desperately need. Is this a joke? I said last week I wasn't sure if owner Todd Boehly knew what he was doing. I'm now asking the same question of manager Graham Potter.

The apprehension in the air at Stamford Bridge against Southampton was penetrating. We all know it can't go on like this."

Haha just read that and thought ‘what am I reading?’

• 4 weeks later...

Has played pretty well since coming back into the team yet there's still cretins in our support who think it's a good idea to boo when his name is a announced. 

When he got injured yesterday he was rightly applauded off.

He's never going to be a top centre back but he's knuckled down and put in some relatively decent performances which is all we can ask for. Would have been easy for him to chuck the towel in and coast to the end of the season on the bench.

Pity about yesterday's injury, hope it's not too long until he's fit again because until then we're one injury away from Lyanco starting again.

• Like 1