Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

West Ham have just rejected an offer for Paqueta worth £88 million. That coupled with getting £100m for rice, feels like they've massively had our pants down with the JWP deal. 

Clearly he's nowhere near either of their level, but if they're demanding top dollar for their key players, they should expect to pay it for ours. 

Feels like there's more to the JWP deal - perhaps Downes is the sweetener, or we had a pre-agreed fee with JWP that we'd let him go for x if we go down.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I noticed at the weekend that Coventry have signed that lad Simms from Everton as a replacement for Gykores......jesus, Simms has not only been terrible, he has been diabolical, the (few) times I have seen him on the tellybox

I think the real replacement is Hadji Wright who they've signed for a club record fee. He looked a handful when he came on on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

West Ham have just rejected an offer for Paqueta worth £88 million. That coupled with getting £100m for rice, feels like they've massively had our pants down with the JWP deal. 

Clearly he's nowhere near either of their level, but if they're demanding top dollar for their key players, they should expect to pay it for ours. 

Feels like there's more to the JWP deal - perhaps Downes is the sweetener, or we had a pre-agreed fee with JWP that we'd let him go for x if we go down.  

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just sold Paqueta

to Guardiola 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

5 games is not a couple of months. infact, the 5th game will be in under 4 weeks from now.

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Not true, because the exact same thing happened with Burnley last season and they walked the league.

15th after 5 games. In the promotion hunt after that, but only really found form by early October.

I think we will be better quicker than Burnley, because we have better players, but due to having such a tough September I could see us having a similar trajectory.

Please do read what I post as I only have 3 posts per day.

1 win from first 5 games, 15th in the table. 5 wins from first 13 games, they were in the playoff picture.

Then (early October) they won 21 out of their next 27 games to secure promotion with 6 games remaining. They only hit their high levels of form in early October. I expect us to be similar.

The only variable is how good of a coach Martin is, as we have a much better squad. Although, admittedly, the other contenders for promotion are far better this season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

1 win from first 5 games, 15th in the table. 5 wins from first 13 games, they were in the playoff picture.

Then (early October) they won 21 out of their next 27 games to secure promotion with 6 games remaining. They only hit their high levels of form in early October. I expect us to be similar.

The only variable is how good of a coach Martin is, as we have a much better squad. Although, admittedly, the other contenders for promotion are far better this season.

I did

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Some serious bedwetting in here after one player, that the club expected to leave since the window opened, has left. Only the second player to go that fans wanted to keep, and some are acting like its a fire sale.

There is no indication that SR are selling all our players and hoping for midtable. Everyone at the club has said the target this year is promotion. We have held firm in our evaluation of good players to get the maximum fees. We have rejected bids for multiple players who have had interest from the Premier League: Stephens (Bournemouth), Smallbone (Sheff Utd), Alcaraz (Brighton) and Tella (Burnley).

Lavia, Bella-Kotchap, Walker-Peters and Adams are the only players that now seem very likely to go and not all of them are a certainty.

SR have been clear for their model of selling players like Lavia for five times their cost to work, we have to be in the Premier League. The squad is far too big, and once more of the players who aren't up to standard (many played on Tuesday) are moved then we will see incomings.

Some of you are delusional about the state of the Championship. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League has grown exponentially since we were last here. We have an extremely talented team for this level, that was poorly managed last season. It will take a couple of months for the players to get the system and the results to follow.

Our squad, currently, is far better than Burnley's that won the league last season. This year will be tougher, but the Championship has never seen squads of the quality that us and Leicester have before. It would be insane for SR to not try and go up, when the chances of bouncing straight back are always far better in the first year.

There is three weeks of the window left. I don't feel like we have missed out on anyone, except possibly Aarons (who we don't want or need if the club feel they can keep KWP). Lets try and wait until we have sold some more dross and Wilcox has had a chance to bring players in before judging him.

47 minutes ago, Dman said:

They are further up the food chain but you could be right with Downes. 

43 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

All this comparison to Burnley is why? Because we have Tella? 😂 

Lets be clear, yes Burnley did have a stellar last season and got promoted with Tella scoring a fair few goals.

BUT…in the season previous, they did not have one of the worst league performances on record, as we did last season. They did not have to contend with a mass exodus of their best players (even in light of said best players being largely instrumental in the terrible previous season). They had a different squad of players with a different dynamic playing a different system to Saints. If I remember rightly, they didn’t start preseason with a completely new coaching setup, learning a new system in just a few weeks before the new season started.

Sorry but I don’t buy this “we’re better than Burnley” therefore we’re going up easily bollocks.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Ronnie Edwards only 5 foot 11 whereas Santos is 6 foot 5. I really think we could do with some height at the back. 

Oh I agree, I was just considering the links I’ve seen and knowing the club’s focus on re-sell. Some mobility to go with the height would help but not easy to find. Vestergaard was a case in point.

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

All this comparison to Burnley is why? Because we have Tella? 😂 

Lets be clear, yes Burnley did have a stellar last season and got promoted with Tella scoring a fair few goals.

BUT…in the season previous, they did not have one of the worst league performances on record, as we did last season. They did not have to contend with a mass exodus of their best players (even in light of said best players being largely instrumental in the terrible previous season). They had a different squad of players with a different dynamic playing a different system to Saints. If I remember rightly, they didn’t start preseason with a completely new coaching setup, learning a new system in just a few weeks before the new season started.

Sorry but I don’t buy this “we’re better than Burnley” therefore we’re going up easily bollocks.

Pretty sure they did sell their best players (Pope, Tarkowski, McNeil, Mee, Weghorst etc) and learn a new possession based style after Dyche-ball. Stylistically they had a lot of similarities to Swansea, lots of the ball, lots of shots, few shots against. In fact they were the only team that had more possession and shots than Swansea. Seems a fairly logical comparison to me.

You could argue our squad was much better, certainly in terms of asset value and that gives us more freedom in the market than they had. It’s a shame the teams we are competing against for promotion are stronger this time around.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

More than enough? He's had one league game! 

I considered it's a skate account at this point. Basically every single post seems to have some kind of negative comment about the club, the players, managers etc. 😅

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Hope so.we are short in DM

Bloody asset stripping bastards, says I! It won't end until we are in League One again the bastards! 😝

Seriously though as it stands we have to hope Charles is as good as they think he is. Smallbone will probably feature in the JWP role. I just hope we learned from last season when we signed Lavia and sold Romeu that we cannot rely all season on youngsters and need a bit of experience, we absolutely need one more DM and, imo, another CM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

So, just to save some time, fuck all has happened today?

I wouldn't say nothing - I discovered a great wrap combination earlier - Cream cheese, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and raw chillis. Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I considered it's a skate account at this point. Basically every single post seems to have some kind of negative comment about the club, the players, managers etc. 😅

Not everything is negative, just most of it. Not because I'm a skate, but because its been pretty miserable supporting this club for the past 2 years 👍

Largely, the playing squad is waste of space. I think Russell Martin was a hipster, bang average appointment and I've lost all trust in the ownership group when they appointed Nathan fucking jones, spunked £20m on some geezer who has the touch of a trampoline (and that's his only positive output), then appointed Ruben Selles to seal the deal. 

Lets revisit in May - I'm confident my prediction about Martin will be right, happy to hold hands up and apologise if not. 

I'll stick it here. We'll make the play offs at best. 

Edited by Dman

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. I forgot to mention that it had baked beans in it as well but without the juice.

Beans, Beans, good for your heart

The more you eat the more you fart

The more you fart the more you eat

The longer you spend on the toilet seat

Right, off to watch the Hundred before I drag this thread down any further than it already is…

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wouldn't say nothing - I discovered a great wrap combination earlier - Cream cheese, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and raw chillis. Highly recommended.

I feel very sorry for Mrs Bad Wolf tonight 😬 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Bloody asset stripping bastards, says I! It won't end until we are in League One again the bastards! 😝

Seriously though as it stands we have to hope Charles is as good as they think he is. Smallbone will probably feature in the JWP role. I just hope we learned from last season when we signed Lavia and sold Romeu that we cannot rely all season on youngsters and need a bit of experience, we absolutely need one more DM and, imo, another CM. 

Not sure we’ll bring in 2. Charles is lavia’s Replacement, hopefully someone like grimes is jwp’s and think Diallo probably won’t be replaced as they are looking to reduce the squad. (Smallbone, alcaraz, Charles, armstrong, Grimes for 3 positions). 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Bristol City getting £25m for Scott from Bournemouth too. A player who has only played Championship football and in the same position as JWP. So, on the face of it £30m for JWP in the current isn’t a brilliant deal like we’ve seen previously with Van Dijk, Ings and Livramento. Have to hope that Downes is unofficially part of the deal, as clubs don’t like transacting players as swap deals these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Bristol City getting £25m for Scott from Bournemouth too. A player who has only played Championship football and in the same position as JWP. So, on the face of it £30m for JWP in the current isn’t a brilliant deal like we’ve seen previously with Van Dijk, Ings and Livramento. Have to hope that Downes is unofficially part of the deal, as clubs don’t like transacting players as swap deals these days.

TBF he's something like 11 years younger than jwp

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

One player I actually know.  Was pretty good at Estoril last year, few tricks, fairly quick and contributed well.  Estoril fans wanted him back.  Feels like he needs a breakout season which is why he is off on loan - maybe worth a punt as a loan with option.  He seems to have enough to make a step up (quite a strong player for a winger) but I don’t think his level last year would be enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

More than enough? He's had one league game! 

And not just one game. He's had a game in which we beat a team, away from home, with 80% possession and played some lovely football.

I think Dman may be on a wind-up as he can't actually think that. Genuinely. If he does he may need serious help as he could be suffering from a mental illness that he could do with getting sorted. My Uncle has sadly recently been diagnosed with Bi-polar, and funnily enough that was only diagnosed due to him making outlandish, delusional claims that lived completely outside of what the reality was. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

5 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I'm actually surprised Scott is going for that little. Think he'll be a fixture in England's midfield in a few years. £30m.for JWP slightly on the low side for me but combined with (hopefully) £50m for Lavia and it rounds out OK.

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Year left on his contract or something maybe?

6 minutes ago, cf saint said:

One player I actually know.  Was pretty good at Estoril last year, few tricks, fairly quick and contributed well.  Estoril fans wanted him back.  Feels like he needs a breakout season which is why he is off on loan - maybe worth a punt as a loan with option.  He seems to have enough to make a step up (quite a strong player for a winger) but I don’t think his level last year would be enough. 

But he only got a high five of goals in 29 league games. Unless he scored 5 a game in cup games? How many assists did he get? That may sway me.

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more

Edited by Master Bates