Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Confused by your post; are we going to be disappointed by the transfer window or have a squad full of talent and loads of new players?

Both really, I've accepted that the squad will be degraded over the next few weeks. Hate it, but that's the reality.

Hoping that the talent that remains can be boosted by a few decent transfers, to at least create a competitive Championship squad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Because Drago well overspent in trying to keep the club in the premiership.

I expect he wants some of his funds back, simple as that really.

This is second guessing but the likes of replacing JWP with Grimes is something like £90k in wages a WEEK!

I expect the club had also come away from what Southampton FC was all about and that’s giving the youngsters a chance. Hoping personally we give the likes of Ballard and Doyle a chance as they excite me more seeing coming off the bench second half. 

No, it's not as simple as that. If we don't go up this season it gets harder with time, plus he loses out on PL riches from failing to get promoted. Getting rid of all our best players, and relying on our incompetent scouts to replace them, is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 4

Let's say we do sell everyone and pack it all in before the season starts, in a funny way it will be an easier and less stressful season. I definitely enjoyed the end of last season more than the bit in the middle because all hope had gone and I just watched it and laughed when we conceded another few comedy goals. If we really do just half arse it this season then at least I'll know what to expect by September. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

OK so style wise they may be similar, but their squad was and is quite different. Defensively they were one of, if not the best in the Championship under Kompany. We were and still are far from that, with little prospect of a new pair of CB’s making a difference. 

How do you know? We've only played one game at this level.

Wonder if Burnley fans were thinking 'we've got the best defence in the league' after one game.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

How do you know? We've only played one game at this level.

Wonder if Burnley fans were thinking 'we've got the best defence in the league' after one game.

One win in their first five last season, they were 16th at that point.

I am sure this forum will be able to cope with that no problem.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Nah, we're Saints, we crush hope not build it up. We're more likely to win our first four games and get us all wet with excitement and then proceed to get spanked until Christmas. Then come January we'll panic and sign someone who has been half decent in League One and another City kid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LVSaint said:

Do you support Estoril or see their games? I was at Estoril vs Belenenses (my Portuguese team) in the cup two weeks ago. Cute little stadium in town, fun evening out.

My local team and I have a season ticket - I guess I enjoyed the cup game more….

Let me know if heading to ACM again and I will do likewise heading to Belém 👍

2 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

Hopefully we still sell KWP and ABK, they were 2 of the biggest culprits of gutless, lazy, minimum effort performances from last season, along with Salisu, Aribo, Orsic, AMN and Mara. As talented as they are we don’t need big time charlie pricks this season. If we can get rid of dismal Lyanco, Onuachu and McCarthy, maybe Bree as well as the above then it’s a good job done. 
Then we can hopefully rebuild with people that actually want to be here.

I wouldn’t give a shite if Tella was sold either, his Instagram congrats to Livramento for moving and his comments about wanting to celebrate with Aribo but only finding the manager indicate he’s probably not invested in Saints. 

If it takes this season to rebuild without the baby Bentleys and go up next year with good lads that want to wear the shirt then so be it, hopefully Wilcox stops the recent trend of car crash scouting though 

The kind of team you're imagining here doesn't exist. If you only want players who are motivated by wearing the shirt, you're going to be fielding 11 saintsweb posters. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Galway saint said:

If you’ve got bazanu in goal you are going to concede goals. The stats bear that out. The fact he’s still number one is  a good indicator to me that SR haven’t learnt from last season 

You really must learn more about statistics. They have no place in football.

54 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think some of these posters were around when we were relegated last time. We were a complete mess, financially crippled and with cuntflaps at the helm desperate to get out. I went up to Luton for the first away game where we got our asses handed to us. It didn't get better. We were fortunate that Burley turned it around. I'm hopeful that we will compete for promotion, but even if we don't, I can't see us being as bad as last time. 

If I am brutally honest, I'm quite enjoying all the transfer speculation even if most is about departures. Football is a soap opera and this is part of the show.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

Hopefully we still sell KWP and ABK, they were 2 of the biggest culprits of gutless, lazy, minimum effort performances from last season, along with Salisu, Aribo, Orsic, AMN and Mara. As talented as they are we don’t need big time charlie pricks this season. If we can get rid of dismal Lyanco, Onuachu and McCarthy, maybe Bree as well as the above then it’s a good job done. 
Then we can hopefully rebuild with people that actually want to be here.

I wouldn’t give a shite if Tella was sold either, his Instagram congrats to Livramento for moving and his comments about wanting to celebrate with Aribo but only finding the manager indicate he’s probably not invested in Saints. 

If it takes this season to rebuild without the baby Bentleys and go up next year with good lads that want to wear the shirt then so be it, hopefully Wilcox stops the recent trend of car crash scouting though 

Is Bree dismal or a good lad? He seems keen to be here and wear the shirt. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think anyone had even considered a scenario in which we keep Lavia but sell JWP. 

Feel sorry for the kid, Liverpool have fucked his head up all summer trying to get a cheap deal just to suggest he isn't as good as they think he is. Dicks.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think anyone had even considered a scenario in which we keep Lavia but sell JWP. 

The lad will be devastated if a move doesn't happen. It will take some management to get him firing. 

No idea how trustworthy the report is, but what a turnup.

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Feel sorry for the kid, Liverpool have fucked his head up all summer trying to get a cheap deal just to suggest he isn't as good as they think he is. Dicks.

If he stays I hope he is actually able to knuckle down and put in the kind of performances we know he can. It'll be infuriating if he sits on the bench all season because his heads been messed with so much. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

The lad will be devastated if a move doesn't happen. It will take some management to get him firing. 

No idea how trustworthy the report is, but what a turnup.

Motivate him with the idea of a move to City in a year or two and winning the title over Liverpool, I guess. 

Wonder if he will blame SFC more? 

Wonder if it's just a placed story to force our hand?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

No way would he blame Saints.

He and his agent would know our Valuatjon and you'd think they'd accept it at the time of allowing him to leave.

He'll be furious with Liverpool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If he stays I hope he is actually able to knuckle down and put in the kind of performances we know he can. It'll be infuriating if he sits on the bench all season because his heads been messed with so much. 

Good chance he tries to force the issue (assuming LFC still want him). That's the usual step when a player feels the selling club is getting in the way of the players 'progress'. His head will have been turned. Very hard to see himself playing for us this season. 

44 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

The kind of team you're imagining here doesn't exist. If you only want players who are motivated by wearing the shirt, you're going to be fielding 11 saintsweb posters. 

Yeah it does, it existed between 2009 and 2012. Players who want to be here is a better description.

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is Bree dismal or a good lad? He seems keen to be here and wear the shirt. 

Not sure about Bree, not his fault he’s ended up here and seems committed enough, but after watching him a few times he hasn’t been able to put in a very good performance as yet. Not bothered if he stays or goes really 

No way would he blame Saints.

He and his agent would know our Valuatjon and you'd think they'd accept it at the time of allowing him to leave.

He'll be furious with Liverpool.

Why would they just accept our valuation? I'm not saying it's wrong, but they may feel we have been asking too much all along. Who knows. He wants the move. The new contract. He doesn't care what saints get paid. If the move falls through he could well blame us.

1 minute ago, Mixedkebab said:

Not sure about Bree, not his fault he’s ended up here and seems committed enough, but after watching him a few times he hasn’t been able to put in a very good performance as yet. Not bothered if he stays or goes really 

So they've got to want to be here. But we've also got to want them to be here. And if we don't want them to be here, regardless of how they feel about the shirt etc., they can fuck off? Is that how it works?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mixedkebab said:

My point is that you need good players, not just players happy to be here. I'd be happy that pull the shirt on. I won't help us get promoted. 

Kwp and ABK certainly would. Doubt either will be here though as they can play at a higher level.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Having thought about it, if Liverpool nick Caicedo from Chelsea then surely Chelsea just come in for Lavia? 

You’d assume so. Not sure why anyone would think this changes him leaving.

£110m for Caicedo in the end. £50m on Lavia will end up being the better deal in my opinion.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

We were in league one. Most of the squad probably felt lucky to be earning a living.

Fonte dropped down to League One to play with us. We definitely were an enticing prospect. Hopefully that could ring true again if we are in contention by January. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cf saint said:

My local team and I have a season ticket - I guess I enjoyed the cup game more….

Let me know if heading to ACM again and I will do likewise heading to Belém 👍

Yeah I'll give you a shout next time I'm over. I was glad to see belenenses get back into the second tier after the AFC Wimbledon style ride they've had in the last few years. I also got to see Benfica vs Burnley at Estadio do Restelo in a friendly and would have got to another had it not been for the pesky Pope stealing police away from their duties at games and forcing them to be closed door matches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that all the ‘bids’ supposedly put in for Lavia were deliberately below our valuation, and only increased just enough to keep the story going whilst LFC knowing they would be rejected,thus speeding up Caciedos’ team to get a deal done with them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that all the ‘bids’ supposedly put in for Lavia were deliberately below our valuation, and only increased just enough to keep the story going whilst LFC knowing they would be rejected,thus speeding up Caciedos’ team to get a deal done with them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes it is it’s not football manager there is more to putting a bid together than sticking a figure into a computer 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2