Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

As some posters suggested earlier in the summer, they are going to get their `missing RM money' back through a player transfer. That price seems very high for a player they don't seem to rate. 

I’ve seen £15m quoted for Hardwood Bellis I know which one I’d go for given it’s £12m for Wood (I mean all those extra letters and the hyphen got to add up to the extra 😉).

• Like 2

I'd really not mind missing out on Piroe if it meant seeing Ballard given more minutes. Could be that we collect fewer points in the short term but he could be a totally different and very valuable proposition by the end of the season if he translates his goalscoring to this level.

Same goes for Mara, but my confidence that he'll make it here is diminishing. His cameo at Plymouth was not great. Flashy cross-field balls giving it away, shooting at keeper when we should be keeping possession. Not sure Martin would have been too happy at that.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’ve seen £15m quoted for Hardwood Bellis I know which one I’d go for given it’s £12m for Wood (I mean all those extra letters and the hyphen got to add up to the extra 😉).

Get both ideally...

Just now, mitch01 said:

I'd really not mind missing out on Piroe if it meant seeing Ballard given more minutes. Could be that we collect fewer points in the short term but he could be a totally different and very valuable proposition by the end of the season if he translates his goalscoring to this level.

Same goes for Mara, but my confidence that he'll make it here is diminishing. His cameo at Plymouth was not great. Flashy cross-field balls giving it away, shooting at keeper when we should be keeping possession. Not sure Martin would have been too happy at that.

Dear everyone at the club,

definitely don’t listen to this guy ^

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, Chez said:

If they loaned him out again, which seemed to be one option, the other a buy back clause, would they have enough cover up front? Managers are very reluctant to leave themselves short. 

Piroe seems the obvious forward to replace Che, but Archer looks an exciting player and one that might cut it in the top flight at some point. 

Looks like Archer may well be on his way to SUFC for £18m

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Lots of angst about Archer and Pirou but I'll repeat what I said the other day. I really don't think it is a priority for the club at the moment. That changes if Onuachu or Mara depart but even if Saints sell Adams that still leaves A Armstrong Mara Onuachu Tella and Ballard as the strike force. The interview with Ballard in the Echo makes it pretty clear that Ballard is expected to challenge for a 1st team place and isn't being sent out on loan for that reason.  Taking a leap of faith that Onuachu and Mara can reproduce some of their previous scoring exploits in the Championship, there is nobody in this league that comes even close to that forward line. Especially not one serviced by Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Edozie, Alcaraz, and S Armstrong. 

In contrast the club really need to strengthen the spine of the team. Another decent CB, or ABK playing, a goalkeeper to replace McCarthy to at the very least put pressure on Bazuna, and more options in midfield. For me that's where the money should be spent and judging from the noise on Sky and Twitter it sounds like that is what they are doing.

No point scoring goals if you are letting the opposition score just as many at the other end.

RM has gone on record saying Che will need replacing if he leaves. RM will not want to rely on Tall Paul and Mara who both stink the place out. Mara was awful in his cameo role last Saturday. Potential loggerheads with Wilcox and board if the opinions aren't shared but it's crystal clear to anyone with sense that both Tall Paul and Mara are not good enough. 

• Like 1

On Piroe, if he moves to another Championship team then you would think its because we didn't want him, or because there is less certainty on Adams leaving.

Simply because of the Martin connection you would imagine he would come to us over others.

We really need certainty on Adams, who is training with the squad at Staplewood today.

Don't think Piroe is some kind of superstar though, if he doesnt come here we will get someone else good if Adams does go, which seems likely.

Edited by Dusic

14 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Lots of angst about Archer and Pirou but I'll repeat what I said the other day. I really don't think it is a priority for the club at the moment. That changes if Onuachu or Mara depart but even if Saints sell Adams that still leaves A Armstrong Mara Onuachu Tella and Ballard as the strike force. The interview with Ballard in the Echo makes it pretty clear that Ballard is expected to challenge for a 1st team place and isn't being sent out on loan for that reason.  Taking a leap of faith that Onuachu and Mara can reproduce some of their previous scoring exploits in the Championship, there is nobody in this league that comes even close to that forward line. Especially not one serviced by Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Edozie, Alcaraz, and S Armstrong. 

In contrast the club really need to strengthen the spine of the team. Another decent CB, or ABK playing, a goalkeeper to replace McCarthy to at the very least put pressure on Bazuna, and more options in midfield. For me that's where the money should be spent and judging from the noise on Sky and Twitter it sounds like that is what they are doing.

No point scoring goals if you are letting the opposition score just as many at the other end.

Bollocks. If Adams goes, we 100% need another striker and we definitely will get one. One in one out from here on in. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Cameron Archer closing in on £18m move to Sheffield utd and Leeds in talks with Swansea over Piroe. We are running out of options for a decent championship experienced striker 

Presumably we're allowing Everton to use up precious time in the transfer window by dicking us about over Adams. Time to tell them to put up or shut up because while this farce plays out we run the risk of losing out on signing players on our radar to replace Che.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’d be utterly amazed if Harwood Bellis was available for £15m. City get top dollar for their kids, not just from us. We paid a reported £10m + £5m for Shea Charles, who has barely played any senior league football. £12M for Bazunu who had played League 1. Lavia £10.5M +. £3.5M, again no senior league football experience. James Trafford was playing for Bolton in League 1, plus of course an England U21 success, he’s just gone to Burnley for £15M + £4M.

THB has a Championship promotion under his belt; given the prices seen I think you’re looking at a package of £25M+ to get him. If he was actually available for £15M then I think he’d be getting much more attention than he seems to be; and if he is available for that it’s a no brainer to go for him.

Edited by The Kraken

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I’d be utterly amazed if Harwood Bellis was available for £15m. City get top dollar for their kids, not just from us. We paid a reported £10m + £5m for Shea Charles, who has barely played any senior league football. £12M for a Bazunu who had played League 1. Lavia £10.5M +. £3.5M, again no senior league football experience. James Trafford was playing for Bolton in League 1, plus of course a England U21 success, he’s just gone to a Burnley for £15M + £4M.

THB has a Championship promotion under his belt; given the prices seen I think you’re looking at a package of £25M+ to get him. If he was actually available for £15M then I think he’d be getting much more attention than he seems to be.

Just saying what I’ve seen quoted - the reason it was low was he is in his last year at MCFC.

24 minutes ago, macca155 said:

If Che leaves we'd be absolutely mad not to replace him and rely on the list of players you name. Bonkers.

• Like 3

Just saying what I’ve seen quoted - the reason it was low was he is in his last year at MCFC.

Possibly then 🤞

Seems strange he’s being touted throughout the press for a season loan when that would just expire his contract. Who knows.

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Bollocks. If Adams goes, we 100% need another striker and we definitely will get one. One in one out from here on in. 

For Adams I agree, but I don't think we're looking to replace the likes of Paul and Djenepo. They can just leave.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I admire your optimism.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Is Piroe that good? 

How many people desperate to sign him here have actually seen him play? 

I saw him play 20 times last season. Yes he is that good. A proper finisher and goal scorer. As I’ve said on this forum before he scores the chances Che and Arma miss. I’d have him in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Onuachu will be nowhere near a Russell Martin team, be realistic. 

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Possibly then 🤞

Seems strange he’s being touted throughout the press for a season loan when that would just expire his contract. Who knows.

Also quoted that he would need to renew with MCFC for a loan to work. At 15m he would be a steal imo so not sure why others are not all over it.

7 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

RM has gone on record saying Che will need replacing if he leaves. RM will not want to rely on Tall Paul and Mara who both stink the place out. Mara was awful in his cameo role last Saturday. Potential loggerheads with Wilcox and board if the opinions aren't shared but it's crystal clear to anyone with sense that both Tall Paul and Mara are not good enough. 

Not as simple as that, RM may want a new striker but doubt he'll get one. He made his feelings clear after Gillingham, totally fair on Mara but Paul Onuachu certainly tried and threw himself into the battle such as it was. Problem was the team was in disarray by that stage and he could hardly get near the ball. Tyler Dibling in contrast calmly got involved and started to make things happen. I really think we have a talent there.

Obviously Mara and Onuachu haven't done anything to impress yet but both have a record in scoring goals in similar leagues. The latter hasn't really had a chance and needs a fair run to see if he can cut it. They are probably trying hard to ship either or both out, but they'll be on good wages so doubt it will be that easy to get rid.

They are also determined to give Ballard a chance so no way are they clogging up that route with a PL loan.

Best solution is that Mara and Onuachu are transferred back to Europe and the club buy in Pirou or similar. Great if that happens otherwise ithat's what we as fans will have to cheer on.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Onuachu will be nowhere near a Russell Martin team, be realistic. 

You miss my point, I am being realistic. He can clearly score goals but in a different system, definitely not part of Martin's plans obviously. However if the club can't sell him or loan him out then Martin will have no choice but to use him, if injuries strike.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, macca155 said:

You miss my point, I am being realistic. He can clearly score goals but in a different system, definitely not part of Martin's plans obviously. However if the club can't sell him or loan him out then Martin will have no choice but to use him.

He might use him but surely only as a sub coming on if we're chasing a game and want to go long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

You miss my point, I am being realistic. He can clearly score goals but in a different system, definitely not part of Martin's plans obviously. However if the club can't sell him or loan him out then Martin will have no choice but to use him, if injuries strike.

I get what you’re saying but with TP you either build a team to cater for him or you fit the biggest square peg into the smallest round hole imaginable.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

He might use him but surely only as a sub coming on if we're chasing a game and want to go long.

and begrudgingly at that I bet.

Problem is Onuachu is an £18m investment, the St Mary's bean counters aren't letting that slide any time soon. 

I get what you’re saying but with TP you either build a team to cater for him or you fit the biggest square peg into the smallest round hole imaginable.

You sell him or loan him and take the loss but then I'm not putting my hand in my pocket and squandering £10m, I suspect I'd have a different view if I was.

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

We will loan him out to Gebk most likely and pay a fair amount for the privilege. We will bring in a striker 100%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Totally agree. Loans arent any good for players that will improve an area where we are currently weak. If you're gonna get rid then sell and replace, dont loan.

Surely Dortmund have a good young talent that needs game time that we could make use of, potentially to come the other way?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Click bait changing minute by minute. “Leeds in negotiations to sign Piroe” has now become…image.thumb.png.60f821a281d7fbf58a6a066cf222e054.png

8 more days of this tedious bollocks….

What does stepping up your interest actually mean if you haven’t made a bid? 

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/hubfootballuk/status/1694271771971654060?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Interesting. We have 1st and 2nd, used to have 3rd and are now trying to buy 4th.

Perhaps Bednarek and Stephens are better on the ball than we give them credit for? If we bring in Wood, is that job done at CB do we think?

They aren't. Bednarek and Stephens weren't good enough last season, nor the season before that. They were shipped out on loan for a reason and having them as a starting CB pairing is tantamount to going into the season at least -10 on goal difference 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I was going to say similar. When I read tweets like that I just think its "bullshit".

However, I guess there are some things that happen before an official bid goes in, scouting, discussions with the players agent, discussion with the player, call to the selling club to find out his availability and price. 

It's still a load of bollocks though. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Fancying the bird that's just walked in the pub door rather than the one you've been ogling at the bar a minute before.

And then being incapable of pulling either.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was going to say similar. When I read tweets like that I just think its "bullshit".

However, I guess there are some things that happen before an official bid goes in, scouting, discussions with the players agent, discussion with the player, call to the selling club to find out his availability and price. 

It's still a load of bollocks though. 

Probably Swansea / player trying to push the process along and increase the price by trying show multiple interest. I would have thought Swansea know he is going to leave and want it done ASAP so they can focus on a replacement as the windows comes to a close.

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

If we bring in Wood, is that job done at CB do we think?

Good question. Is he replacing Lyanco or ABK?

If both of those departed, and Wood came in, who would be our 4th CB, Awe, Charles, Simeu? 

Just now, Chez said:

If both of those departed, and Wood came in, who would be our 4th CB, Awe, Charles, Simeu? 

I'd love a couple of cbs in. We've had the same problems there for years. Giving us some more quality options would be a great thing. 

• Like 1

If Che goes we absolutely need a new striker. I know the stats will say 3 goals in his first 2 games. But I thought Armstrong was pretty poor in those matches. Better on the weekend playing deeper, but I really fear him as the focal point for the attack all season. Che has looked so much better and shows around the level we need.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah I’d like Awe to be 5th choice. Charles to focus on CDM unless we have an injury crisis. Think we might need 2 actually, if 2 leave.

20 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

They aren't. Bednarek and Stephens weren't good enough last season, nor the season before that. They were shipped out on loan for a reason and having them as a starting CB pairing is tantamount to going into the season at least -10 on goal difference 

This is the championship though, not the premier league. Both should be useful enough at this level, although I’d agree we can improve at CB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I imagine just one, if both leave we’ll be after another (Harwood-Bellis or Vyner maybe?)

I think our links seem to make sense in the context of lining-up replacements. Spence for KWP, Piroe for Adams, that Albanian guy and/or Stewart for Sulemana and/or Tella.

I get the feeling there is a plan of how to react on our side, just no idea on how the outgoings will pan out. 

Imagine the chronological order for Journo reports is something like this:

Watching....

monitoring....

tracking...

targeting...

escalating interest...

agreeing outline personal terms....

mulling over a bid...

preparing a bid...

indicating will be submitting a formal offer....

making a formal offer....

as per Fabrizio....

scheduling medical....

passed medical....

announcement imminent....

announced...

Note: increased risk of hijack from "making a formal offer" onwards.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Didn’t Wilcox say at the Fans forum that you can’t buy a player for 20m one season and sell him for 5m the next.

That seemed aimed at TP and the calls to just get rid IMO

We are playing a dangerous game with our stance on these transfers now if we start accepting bids for Adams,KWP and Tella over the next few days.

Especially if two of our top targets are from Swansea as they will not be dropping valuations to us.

We have seen what dicking about goes into bidding for players and we just don’t have the time.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

What I would say to that is Stephens wasn’t here, but apparently did well at Bournemouth, J B was shown the door  by wreckit Ralph . They have both been good in the past but Ralph’s disastrous 4222 left  central defenders hopelessly exposed when the high - half aresed press inevitably broke down, often with both full backs stranded up the pitch. I don’t think they are our biggest concern if they are the CB pairing this season. Although we do need cover and others pushing for those positions.