Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Keep Che, KWP and Sulamana and I think its been a pretty decent window tbh. 

Most concerned about losing Che and KWP as I've not been impressed by any of the links we've seen in those positions

I just don’t agree with the POV that it’s been a decent window so far, even keeping Sully, KWP and Che. We’ve lost most of our first choice players and then some, raising a LARGE amount of money. And replaced SOME of them without spending much, which may not be essential in itself, but it’s reflective of SR’s strategic imperative this window…get money in. Anyone who thinks differently is in denial. Thinking back to the promises made at the fans forum, I do think it’s shocking that fans have once again been sold a story that SR would support a promotion push. Personally I didn’t wholly believe it would be as straightforward as that.

There seems to be an overly simplistic view of what’s happening. Yes, the team last year got us relegated and were collectively shit (placed in the context of a failing Manager and then two consecutively poor Managers). In a sense it doesn’t matter how poor the outgoing players were collectively…fact is they were consistently selected as first team starters, so what’s left when the majority of those players leave? The also rans. The ones that got ignored or loaned out. Are they any more well equipped to cope with the Championship?  We’re already seeing what the options will be when ‘key’ players (like Stephens) get injured - at least with the window open there’s an option to get a replacement in, but will that mean other areas will get neglected as a result? There’s no guarantees our remaining wantaways will still be here…will there be enough time to replace them with quality now the squad is at barebones?

There is a positive - Martin seems to be the real deal and connecting with the squad. There is a potential positive…SR utilise the purse and allow Wilcox to get in some real quality in areas that need it over the next few days. My gut feeling based on previous form is we’ll be disappointed, but who knows…perhaps I’m wrong. Let’s hope so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I just don’t agree with the POV that it’s been a decent window so far, even keeping Sully, KWP and Che. We’ve lost most of our first choice players and then some, raising a LARGE amount of money. And replaced SOME of them without spending much, which may not be essential in itself, but it’s reflective of SR’s strategic imperative this window…get money in. Anyone who thinks differently is in denial. Thinking back to the promises made at the fans forum, I do think it’s shocking that fans have once again been sold a story that SR would support a promotion push. Personally I didn’t wholly believe it would be as straightforward as that.

There seems to be an overly simplistic view of what’s happening. Yes, the team last year got us relegated and were collectively shit (placed in the context of a failing Manager and then two consecutively poor Managers). In a sense it doesn’t matter how poor the outgoing players were collectively…fact is they were consistently selected as first team starters, so what’s left when the majority of those players leave? The also rans. The ones that got ignored or loaned out. Are they any more well equipped to cope with the Championship?  We’re already seeing what the options will be when ‘key’ players (like Stephens) get injured - at least with the window open there’s an option to get a replacement in, but will that mean other areas will get neglected as a result? There’s no guarantees our remaining wantaways will still be here…will there be enough time to replace them with quality now the squad is at barebones?

There is a positive - Martin seems to be the real deal and connecting with the squad. There is a potential positive…SR utilise the purse and allow Wilcox to get in some real quality in areas that need it over the next few days. My gut feeling based on previous form is we’ll be disappointed, but who knows…perhaps I’m wrong. Let’s hope so.

Pretty obvious you are going to be disappointed regardless of what happens between now and the window closing.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Get money in.. what did you expect exactly? We’ve been RELEGATED, c. £120m per annum gone from our income, on the back of an £80m loan debt and c. £150m spent on transfers. Of course they were going to get money in FFS.

What fans forum did you watch? Obviously wasn’t the same one as me.

We’re also seeing what the options will be when ‘key’ players like Stephens get injured - you mean the £10m signing from City that slotted in seamlessly last week? Or the loan signing from the Premier league we made? Or the rumoured £10m CB we’re signing from Swansea? 

Weird post.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think you're just under-estimating the financial aspect of the club - the huge spending last year and ultimately relegation. It's screwed us for a few years. They are looking to ensure we don't fall foul of FFP (which looks over a running 3 years), which would have been fine if we'd have stayed in the Prem last year, but not now. 

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

Depends whether he backs himself as good enough to attract offers next season and if, as a free agent, those offers will be better. Does he turn down extra money for the next 12 months and assume he'll more than make up for that at the start of next season? It's a tricky one for us and Che.

Or, he signs a new contract with a release clause of say £15m during next summer window if we don’t go up. Win win. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Or, he signs a new contract with a release clause of say £15m during next summer window if we don’t go up. Win win. 

Yes, another of many scenarios. I guess we'll know soon enough which one comes to pass.

7 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Get money in.. what did you expect exactly? We’ve been RELEGATED, c. £120m per annum gone from our income, on the back of an £80m loan debt and c. £150m spent on transfers. Of course they were going to get money in FFS.

What fans forum did you watch? Obviously wasn’t the same one as me.

We’re also seeing what the options will be when ‘key’ players like Stephens get injured - you mean the £10m signing from City that slotted in seamlessly last week? Or the loan signing from the Premier league we made? Or the rumoured £10m CB we’re signing from Swansea? 

Weird post.

Oh yes, sorry. The young midfielder standing in at CB. And the loan signing that many were decrying as not as good as what we have already (and not long ago many on here thought our first choice CB pairing was poor). And a…rumour. Fill your boots - be my guest. Weird post? It’s a forum of people with different ideas…what else do you expect? 🙄

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Ah bento an unrequited love from last summer that i wanted us to sign.

Looks an absolute beast who plays in the adriano (the emperor) mould but hopefully i am completely wrong and he's shit for everton

If you throw a diamond into a pigsty it's still going to get rolled about by pigs and covered in shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Im not reading all that but the answer is probably.. we got relegated

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think you're just under-estimating the financial aspect of the club - the huge spending last year and ultimately relegation. It's screwed us for a few years. They are looking to ensure we don't fall foul of FFP (which looks over a running 3 years), which would have been fine if we'd have stayed in the Prem last year, but not now. 

Quite the opposite - read my post…I’ve said exactly the same thing in believing the imperative for the club was financial prudence. That’s not the same as stating that they will support a promotion push or suggest that we’ll have a stronger squad than last seasons, which is a fans imperative.

10 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Excellent. They were gloating that by buying him they'd forced leverkusen to buy tella and had therefore doubly damaged us by getting their man and forcing us to lose ours 🤣

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

I believe that the faith fans had that we had this super rich benevolent owner has been shredded. Fans telling me elsewhere some weeks back we didnt need to sell to buy as the owner was going to back us lol.

Patently the sales had to cover the spending spree that I have never witnessed before in the last nearly 60 years. Sadly our buyers didnt have the nous to buy before the end of the window in January and were left on the last day trying to buy anyone in Europe who had scored a few goals, hence ending up with Tall Paul.

I do wonder that if they haven't learnt, as I mentioned a week or so back if someone last minute offers above the rate for Che last day, we will be again scrabbling to find someone, where we should have bought Piroe whether Che was going or not, as we had the Jan window to sell him, or he would be gone in the summer as his contract was finished. Yes 6-8months of wages but.... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not reading all that but the answer is probably.. we got relegated

I got you bud - got Ai to summarise it.

The author disagrees with the idea that their team's transfer window has been successful. They believe that the team has lost many key players and raised a lot of money, without investing enough in new players. The author is skeptical that the remaining players will be able to perform well in the Championship, and is concerned about the lack of investment in the squad.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Oh yes, sorry. The young midfielder standing in at CB. And the loan signing that many were decrying as not as good as what we have already (and not long ago many on here thought our first choice CB pairing was poor). And a…rumour. Fill your boots - be my guest. Weird post? It’s a forum of people with different ideas…what else do you expect? 🙄

Fair point, it is a forum that contains a number of whoppers, so shouldn’t be a surprise.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Quite the opposite - read my post…I’ve said exactly the same thing in believing the imperative for the club was financial prudence. That’s not the same as stating that they will support a promotion push or suggest that we’ll have a stronger squad than last seasons, which is a fans imperative.

Sorry, just to get some measure of expectation here…..despite relegation, you’re expecting Saints to have a stronger squad this season compared to last season?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

I didn’t say that…RM did.

Well I’ve not seen him say that, but if he did he’s off beam. I don’t know if there’s been a club in history who have been relegated from the PL and kicked off the next season with a stronger squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

I didn’t say that…RM did.

TBF he didn't say a stronger team than last season, he said stronger than it is now (now being a week or so ago.) He would probably argue that with a replacement for Tella, Wood in, the three loabs and an Adams replacement that it would be stronger or at the very least a stronger unit defensively. 

• Like 1

He didn't say that he'd have a stronger squad than the PL squad. He said he felt we would be in a stronger position than we were with 12 days or so of the window to go.

How he qualifies that, I don't know as he wasn't pressed on it, but we will certainly have more clarity and more confirmed and committed depth rather than 'does that guy want to play for us this season?' hanging about.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I read somewhere that our net spend deficit over the past 5 years has been in excess of £200m.
So there needs to be a rebalancing somewhere, unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I read somewhere that our net spend deficit over the past 5 years has been in excess of £200m.
So there needs to be a rebalancing somewhere, unfortunately.

Looking at this over the last 5 years in the premier league we made a net balance of 2.8m profit.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Edited by Convict Colony

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

He didn't say that he'd have a stronger squad than the PL squad. He said he felt we would be in a stronger position than we were with 12 days or so of the window to go.

How he qualifies that, I don't know as he wasn't pressed on it, but we will certainly have more clarity and more confirmed and committed depth rather than 'does that guy want to play for us this season?

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Well I’ve not seen him say that, but if he did he’s off beam. I don’t know if there’s been a club in history who have been relegated from the PL and kicked off the next season with a stronger squad.

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF he didn't say a stronger team than last season, he said stronger than it is now (now being a week or so ago.) He would probably argue that with a replacement for Tella, Wood in, the three loabs and an Adams replacement that it would be stronger or at the very least a stronger unit defensively. 

It’s true that what he said is open to interpretation, however whichever way you take it he did mean that he expected the squad to be stronger by the end of the window (as he also expressed some frustration at the window remaining open beyond the start of the season). It’s difficult to imagine how he was able to say this without an expectation that the overall quality of the squad would not be depleted. As someone else has suggested, the coming string of games will provide a clearer picture.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I thought Leeds was quite nice! Fuck knows what he’d think if he got given a tour of Southampton’s suburbs…

It's not even like you can take him to Nicks restaurant anymore to close the deal.

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s true that what he said is open to interpretation, however whichever way you take it he did mean that he expected the squad to be stronger by the end of the window (as he also expressed some frustration at the window remaining open beyond the start of the season). It’s difficult to imagine how he was able to say this without an expectation that the overall quality of the squad would not be depleted. As someone else has suggested, the coming strong of games will provide a clearer picture.

I think we will definitely be weaker in attacking areas whatever we do but almost certainly stronger at the back and in Central midfield areas than we were a couple of weeks ago. Stress nger could also mean strength in depth. I share some of your concerns about the quality of our squad but I'm still optimistic that we replace Tella and the rest of the outgoings before Friday (even if losing Adams now is a blow that we may not be able to recover from.)

28 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I don't know what was offered, but i am not expecting the squad to be stronger than last year, but am expecting/hoping for a club that is strong enough to get promoted this year. Two very different things.

Our ability to have a stronger club than last year is hindered greatly by two realities, 1) lack of PL revenue and 2) the quality of player one can expect to be playing in the 2nd tier (re: players with qualities of JWP, Lavia, Tino, Tella, Adams are going to attract/be attracted to top tier leagues)

Edited by SaintTex

Looking back at our last championship squad you had Lambert who played the vast majority of games, but you also had backup with Billy Sharp, Tadanari Lee and David Connolly. If we somehow manage to keep Adams then we will be hoping he will play the Lambert role (play the majority of games and score a load of goals) but I am not sure we have the depth beyond that. Arguably Armstrong can get similar figures to someone like Lallana but it would be great if Mara coukd hit some sort of form, otherwise it may be tough without another reliable goalscorer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

I don't know what was offered, but i am not expecting the squad to be stronger than last year, but am expecting/hoping for a club that is strong enough to get promoted this year. Two very different things.

Our ability to have a stronger club than last year is hindered greatly by two realities, 1) lack of PL revenue and 2) the quality of player one can expect to be playing in the 2nd tier.

Can’t disagree….you’re not really stating anything at odds with my post(s). The concern is that the Prem team was so badly flawed that it caved even against lower league opposition (unless the players were ‘on show’ against a top 3 club strangely). You can only say it was highly dis-functional and not a good arbiter of the quality needed to improve for life in the Championship. What were the options? Let go as many as possible?  The problems start when you’ve got to decide at what level you bring in new players at…it’s a risk, especially when in reality SR were in reality not about to open a huge warchest.

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Looking back at our last championship squad you had Lambert who played the vast majority of games, but you also had backup with Billy Sharp, Tadanari Lee and David Connolly. If we somehow manage to keep Adams then we will be hoping he will play the Lambert role (play the majority of games and score a load of goals) but I am not sure we have the depth beyond that. Arguably Armstrong can get similar figures to someone like Lallana but it would be great if Mara coukd hit some sort of form, otherwise it may be tough without another reliable goalscorer. 

It’s true about the amount of strikers we had, but football and formations have changed. We played a 4-4-2 in 2011/12, do Lambert always had one of those up front with him. 

We definitely need to find more goals from elsewhere in the team, your point about Lallana was totally right, if we can get someone to add that amount it’ll be so crucial, as our midfielders don’t look too blessed with goals, the only possible one could be Alcaraz if he can get back to his best. 

Just now, Appy said:

It’s true about the amount of strikers we had, but football and formations have changed. We played a 4-4-2 in 2011/12, do Lambert always had one of those up front with him. 

We definitely need to find more goals from elsewhere in the team, your point about Lallana was totally right, if we can get someone to add that amount it’ll be so crucial, as our midfielders don’t look too blessed with goals, the only possible one could be Alcaraz if he can get back to his best. 

That's a good point. Looking at the stats, it's surprising how massively reliant on Lambert we were as he scored an obscene amount at this level that I doubt Adams will get close to even if he does stay. I think what Adam Blackmore said is right that we do need to replace the goals that Tella would have given us if we want promotion. Ryan fraser looked decent in his cameo on Saturday, but I feel it is risky to rely on him to chip in with too many goals. Keeping or replacing Adams and getting in a Tella replacement is imo they key to our season regardless of what we do at the back. 

Palace 'could' go after Che now, in the last days of the transfer window. Wish they'd get on with it if so. His head must be all over the place (meaning he would head the ball even worse than usual).

Need that new blood in.

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We have brought in three Prem players on wages far exceeding anything all but two championship clubs can afford. That is the kind of thing you do if you are supporting a promotion push isnt it?

Having been relegated, what were you expecting this summer? It sounds like you thought SR would find the funds to keep our star players here on £50-£100k a week and turn down £30-60m offers in the process. Do you not think that's a lot to ask and perhaps your expoectations were a little high?

I fully expected us to sell everyone. I fully expected us to retain some players that were seen as not good enough in the Prem. I fully expected us to sign players not seen as good enough for the prem. I fully expected us to spend fuck all really.

Maybe my expectation levels were too low, but last time we spent £90k all in, so seeing us invest £10-15m on Charles this time around has been a pleasant surpise.

Chin up mate. We are down but not out.

• Like 3