Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, mitch01 said:

Even if we did manage to shift Onuachu, Djenepo, Bree and Aribo in the last few hours, I think we have too many players. Not really sure why we are signing Stewart with Che staying, Mara set to be given chances to develop and Armstrong another option at CF. Would also be a shame not to shift Bednarek in the last few hours as he is now quite a long way from the first eleven. Still, would rather too much strength in depth than too little.

Seems easier to shift Herpes than tall Paul at the moment

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

Even if we did manage to shift Onuachu, Djenepo, Bree and Aribo in the last few hours, I think we have too many players. Not really sure why we are signing Stewart with Che staying, Mara set to be given chances to develop and Armstrong another option at CF. Would also be a shame not to shift Bednarek in the last few hours as he is now quite a long way from the first eleven. Still, would rather too much strength in depth than too little.

Maybe the deal  with Che is he stays until January

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

Interesting snippet from Reading's Ballard announcement -

Set to make the reverse move is talented 16-year-old midfielder Thierry Rohart-Brown who we can confirm we have accepted an offer for in exchange for an undisclosed fee from Southampton.

Edited by Restark19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

The deal with Che is he stays until January

that's actually pretty shrewd. Means we dont have to rush Stewart back, by the time January comes Che goes for a fee, we have Stewart fully fit. Win all round, it's only 4 months for Che to crack down for. Hopefully he can get his head down. 

• Like 10

Just now, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I wanted to see Ballard get a lot more action this season... although preferably for us. Really hope a season under the expert tutorage of Management Mastermind Selles doesn't fuck the poor kid over.

Ballard will come back having lost his ability on the ball, but will be able to run around for days. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Restark19 said:

Set to make the reverse move is talented 16-year-old midfielder Thierry Rohart-Brown who we can confirm we have accepted an offer for in exchange for an undisclosed fee from Southampton.

one to follow over the next couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Not sure why signing Stewart?

Yeah. Clearly a good player but are we going to play him in the same team as Che and Armstrong? Mara would have struggled for minutes anyway - harder to see where he gets game-time now. Maybe I am underestimating the need for a bigger squad with 8 more league games this year?

1 minute ago, mitch01 said:

Yeah. Clearly a good player but are we going to play him in the same team as Che and Armstrong? Mara would have struggled for minutes anyway - harder to see where he gets game-time now. Maybe I am underestimating the need for a bigger squad with 8 more league games this year?

Yes you are. Last time we were in this league, we signed Billy Sharp in January. He clearly made a difference. Scoring lots of goals is vital for promotion

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restark19 said:

You watch ''MaxTransfers!!!'' claim that as the 'other deal' we were working on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I think Bednarek has played well so far this season.

Agree with this. I think the solution for too many centre backs is to have Bednarek, Stephens, THB and ABK competing for two spots (please not three) with KWP and Holgate the options for right back. The player to offload is James Bree.

Just now, Dank said:

Agree with this. I think the solution for too many centre backs is to have Bednarek, Stephens, THB and ABK competing for two spots (please not three) with KWP and Holgate the options for right back. The player to offload is James Bree.

Yes, that's how I see it as we stand. But....I have a sneaky feeling that there will be a last min PL loan for ABK.

Might be someone like Wolves, Everton or whoever, but I still think he'll go.

9 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

You are forgetting injuries, suspension and loss of form - I’m not expecting much of Che until after international break when his head gets straight from agent noise.

What If Che reverts to not hitting a cows arse like last year would you be happy with Mara who has done nothing really.

43 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yep. He may be 'alright' at this level, but he's not the future of the club at all. He's very much one of the reasons we are where we are now, and given the comments he made when he went on loan to Villa, I would be very happy to never see him play for us again.

Agreed. we bought him in 2017 (6 years a go!) for £5 million with very little fanfare and low expectations. As the quality of our squad slowly decreased,  he ascended (but in reality he just survived the attrition).

Never in a million years did i think he was going to be basically a nailed-on starter 5 straight years (loan spell not withstanding)

He'll do fine in the championship, but much like our club, he has been masquerading as a premier player for 5 years now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Agreed. we bought him in 2017 (6 years a go!) for £5 million with very little fanfare and low expectations. As the quality of our squad slowly decreased,  he ascended (but in reality he just survived the attrition).

Never in a million years did i think he was going to be basically a nailed-on starter 5 straight years (loan spell not withstanding)

He'll do fine in the championship, but much like our club, he has been masquerading as a premier player for 5 years now.

This is it. Much like Yoshida before him, he was signed as backup and ended up becoming first choice by virtue of us selling our better CBs and not replacing them with players of equal quality.

The fact he ended up becoming a mainstay of our defence is a damning indictment of our recruitment in recent years.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

Not really sure why we are signing Stewart with Che staying.

Might be an insurance policy if Stewart doesn't or is unable (injury) to step up. Come January if it is all going swimmingly w/ Stewart, we could sell Che to a desperate PL team & try recoup some money.

Edited by SaintTex

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Armel Bella-Kotchap is set to join PSV Eindhoven on loan #saintsfc @DuncanCastles

Good news, don’t really want him stinking the place out if he’s not interested in playing. We have recruited well at centre back anyway so getting him out of the door is for the best imo 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’m kind of happy he’s going tbh. 5 CBs was too many, and wages…

We don’t need ABK now this season, hopefully he can tear it up there this season. 

Yep, was just thinking this myself, the dynamic isn’t great with him there plus THB will surely benefit from playing alongside a slightly older head. I like the 4 of THB, Janny B, Stephens and Holgate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Yep, was just thinking this myself, the dynamic isn’t great with him there plus THB will surely benefit from playing alongside a slightly older head. I like the 4 of THB, Janny B, Stephens and Holgate.

The Woods deal has fizzled away, I'm assuming getting THB on loan with a view to a perm if we get promoted is the much better deal. 

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

hahahah yeah i've been there to watch some games before and no luton fan ever has called it that.

feels like carabo cup tie

it's exactly like that. Luton are crap, but big strong, lots of effort carving out a few half chances, West Ham miles better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You are forgetting injuries, suspension and loss of form - I’m not expecting much of Che until after international break when his head gets straight from agent noise.

What If Che reverts to not hitting a cows arse like last year would you be happy with Mara who has done nothing really.

Absolutely.  We have good cover in most positions but to have only 2 strikers in Che and AA would be suicidal.  Mara is not ready and 46 games is a long season.  I for one am really pleased that Stewart is signing.  The bigger problem would have been losing Che and Stewart not being ready for a month leading just AA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

is there a scenario where we go up and have THB and ABK as our CBs then or do we think he’s done at Saints and hopefully this increase the fee we get next summer? Do PSV have an option to buy?

from Rif the journo who is all over PSV

At PSV, the German central defender Armel Bella-Kotchap from Southampton was also on the list of possible reinforcements, but certainly no confirmation yet that he will come to Eindhoven. We keep looking.

Edited by Convict Colony