New Manager Thread v3

Dman

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think Vieira is quite likely.

I'm definitely worried about his credentials though, given Palace's immediate upheaval in form when Roy returned who according to their fans "just made a few obvious changes" to get the best out of their players again.

I'd take it over the other crop of managers from that playing era though.

Look at Palace’s run of fixtures before / after Roy arrived (21st March), that’ll explain the upheaval in form. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Look at Palace’s run of fixtures before / after Roy arrived (21st March), that’ll explain the upheaval in form. 

Definitely a big factor. Can't excuse no wins in 13 regardless though.

More worrying was the tactical tweaks to get the best out of players like Eze which Vieira was apparently neglecting to notice. 

Feel like it could be Scott Parker.

He's got two teams promoted from the Championship, even if he hasn't been able to cut it in the Premier League yet. 

Young, but with experience - some good, some bad. Plays pretty decent football.

Likes to dress up pretty on the sidelines. He's ticking a lot of boxes. Even got a 0-9 on his record. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

48 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He's got two teams promoted from the Championship, even if he hasn't been able to cut it in the Premier League yet. 

Likes to dress up pretty on the sidelines. He's ticking a lot of boxes. Even got a 0-9 on his record. 

Mainly bad and pisses of most of his owners

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Hampshire Live suggesting either Graham Potter or Brendan Rodgers.

Somehow I doubt it.

😂

If it’s the report I’ve read, that’s not quite true. It’s basically Richard Keys saying the pair of them should consider the job. 

So yes, I very much doubt it 😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He most recently got booted out of Club Brugge by failing in a pretty shit league, standard wise. He managed 12 games.

Another former player who isn't going to cut it as an elite manager.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dman said:

This is exactly it, I always thought his sacking by Palace was quite harsh. Obviously it looks good for Woy, but Viera would have got a similar haul in my opinion. (Plus Woy is benefiting from the return of Zaha).

I think he built a decent team at Palace, which Woy is now benefiting from in the more winnable fixtures. (and it's not like Viera had them rooted to the foot, they've always been fairly comfortable)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, qwertyell said:

We've already suffered that with Rueben Half-Wit Selles. I'd prefer a competent manager who looks like a tramp. 

Viera's tenures at Nice and Palace both went the same way and ended with him reverting to quite defensive football, disillusioning fans and still not getting results. Most manager appointments end in the sack but lets not employ someone who has a clear pattern in his last two jobs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Just seen this fella arrive..... Looks similar but not sure it passes the earlobe test?

Celtic unveil new manager Brendan Rodgers - Mirror Online

It doesn't look like Southampton. Are you sure ?  A Falcon arrived at 1740 from Stockholm. Similar wing profile,

Spoke to a Palace fan at work about Viera and he wasn’t very complimentary about him. Reckoned he didn’t play players in their best positions (particularly forwards) and their success last season was mainly due to Conor Gallagher. He did think Viera had a case that he should have been backed more in the transfer market but overall didn’t think he’d be any good for us.

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Spoke to a Palace fan at work about Viera and he wasn’t very complimentary about him. Reckoned he didn’t play players in their best positions (particularly forwards) and their success last season was mainly due to Conor Gallagher. He did think Viera had a case that he should have been backed more in the transfer market but overall didn’t think he’d be any good for us.

I thought Palace had been quite active in the transfer market in his time there. Didn’t he have the opportunity  to really rebuild the squad on arrival (bit like Koeman in 2014)? 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought Palace had been quite active in the transfer market in his time there. Didn’t he have the opportunity  to really rebuild the squad on arrival (bit like Koeman in 2014)? 

I haven't really checked - that's just what he said.  I guess every fan thinks their club could be more active and spend more money.  Bloke I spoke with goes to a lot of their games so I tend to trust his judgement.  Shame as I thought Viera was a decent shout. 

I doubt we'd go for him anyway.  From what I can see Ankerson appears to be a a fan of more direct football and I expect an appointment that matches that philosophy.

I think the Brendan Rogers photo could be a photoshop job. The Aviation background doesn't ring true. More like Glasgow airport with a genuine Rogers whilst manager of Celtic. 

Edited by derry

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I keep seeing Parker, Vieira and Gerrard's names cropping up but what about Rooney? Would he be a viable option? Got a lot of credit for the way he got Derby playing whilst it was all going to shit around him.

Would much rather we looked at Liam Rosenior if we're admiring the work that was done at Derby at that time.

• Like 1

Except he didn't. His success at Luton was down to the backroom staff. All Joes did was shout and thump his chest. Tactically he was clueless.

Agree. Like Brentford without Rasmus, Luton have done better since Jones departed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Except he didn't. His success at Luton was down to the backroom staff. All Joes did was shout and thump his chest. Tactically he was clueless.

Do that one about how everyone else on here was saying that Jones was brilliant and you were the only person saying he wasn't, the only person saying it. The lone voice, the only guy who could truly see, the only only one.

It's so good that one, do tell us all again please 🙏  🙏  🙏 

9 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I keep seeing Parker, Vieira and Gerrard's names cropping up but what about Rooney? Would he be a viable option? Got a lot of credit for the way he got Derby playing whilst it was all going to shit around him.

None of these ex players are ready to be top managers, we need someone with experience, who knows how to setup a team, who has an understanding of tactics and can change in game, look at what happens when you get someone with experience in all these things at Palace, these other players are trading on their names, they might make good managers one day, but they need to earn getting a top job, not just be parachuted in because they had good football careers.  I know someone will point at Vincent Kompany as being a success, but he's the exception

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Agree. Like Brentford without Rasmus, Luton have done better since Jones departed. 

I’m not sure that’s fair. The new manager had it pretty well set up for him and based on his failure at Watford shows the benefit of having a well run club around him. They’ve only done better if they go up, otherwise they’ve delivered the same as Jones had done in the Championship. 

Genuine question.

What metrics, characteristics do clubs look for when recruiting managers?

Cant just be the baseline results, is it just a case of how they play, man management and references or is there some underlying metrics they help pick out the wheat from the chaff?

Ps I'm not rasmus looking for help.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is exactly it, I always thought his sacking by Palace was quite harsh. Obviously it looks good for Woy, but Viera would have got a similar haul in my opinion. (Plus Woy is benefiting from the return of Zaha).

I think he built a decent team at Palace, which Woy is now benefiting from in the more winnable fixtures. (and it's not like Viera had them rooted to the foot, they've always been fairly comfortable)

Very nice run of games Leicester, Leeds, Saints, Everton, Wolves and West Ham. I'm sure Viera thought a decent points haul was a good possibility.

Zaha only played the West Ham game though, in the four previous games he was injured. He came off at half-time on Leicester game (score was 0-0)

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Genuine question.

Cant just be the baseline results, is it just a case of how they play, man management and references or is there some underlying metrics they help pick out the wheat from the chaff?

Didn’t they say that Jones had really good ‘stats’ of defending set pieces, and it was identified as a weakness..

What the stats don’t tell is that our players are keen to switch off and just fucking rubbish at marking players. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As much as Potter makes sense as an ex-player etc., if Forest do sack Cooper I'd be all in for him. Might not have gone well in the PL (and lets not forget the most insane transfer window Forest had), but all three seasons he managed in the Championship he made the play-offs, and the transformation for Forest from bottom of the table to winning the play-offs final in a single season is pretty phenomenal! He also favours a 4-2-3-1 with holding midfielders and attacking wing-backs (or at least he did at Swansea), which suits our squad. He's also Welsh, which must be a requirement (why else did Jones-y get the gig otherwise!?)

Though if we're talking phenomenal turn-arounds, if Middlesbrough fail to make the play-offs maybe Carrick could be a bit of a wild-card? (and only a wild-card as he's managed a single season, what he's achieved as been incredible)

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Genuine question.

I guess the Jones appointment was based on Luton punching above their weight, results wise. As we had a smaller budget than many in the Prem, perhaps they thought that was the kind of track record required?

Maybe we need a manager that has managed to turn a sinking ship around. Not an easy task.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Though if we're talking phenomenal turn-arounds, if Middlesbrough fail to make the play-offs maybe Carrick could be a bit of a wild-card? (and only a wild-card as he's managed a single season, what he's achieved as been incredible)

Is it realistic to think we can steal Carrick away from Boro? I'd of thought they'd want to keep him and he'd want to stay. If a prem side came in for him, maybe he'd depart, but another Championship side?

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is it realistic to think we can steal Carrick away from Boro? I'd of thought they'd want to keep him and he'd want to stay. If a prem side came in for him, maybe he'd depart, but another Championship side?

I guess it becomes a case of prospects and pay, doesn't it? If we paid enough, he had a war chest to build a good squad, and he felt he had better long term prospects of managing in the PL with us over Borough then of course he would. If Borough gave him a good window and he felt he could get them promoted then I'd understand him staying. Same if a PL side came in for him. At the end of the day it's not about steeling anyone away from anywhere, it's about selling a project to a manager that is in the best interests of their long-term success and prospects.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I guess the flip side would be that he may consider that he can't get anymore out of the squad. They may need to sell key players, obviously not saying we won't, but if we made an approach, I would be surprised if he at least didn't test the water so to speak. He may consider us a more viable team to win promotion with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I guess it becomes a case of prospects and pay, doesn't it? If we paid enough, he had a war chest to build a good squad, and he felt he had better long term prospects of managing in the PL with us over Borough then of course he would. If Borough gave him a good window and he felt he could get them promoted then I'd understand him staying. Same if a PL side came in for him. At the end of the day it's not about steeling anyone away from anywhere, it's about selling a project to a manager that is in the best interests of their long-term success and prospects.

You seem to be glossing over the fact he has a three year contract at Boro and has done well for them, so Steve Gibson is not going to let him join us... unless we paid them huge compensation. is that realistic? I'd say Carrick is a non starter. We are not a great deal more attractive than Boro at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I guess the flip side would be that he may consider that he can't get anymore out of the squad. They may need to sell key players, obviously not saying we won't, but if we made an approach, I would be surprised if he at least didn't test the water so to speak. He may consider us a more viable team to win promotion with. 

It feels like a sideways move to me. I find it hard to think of us as a side likely to get promoted. Maybe all the defeats has knocked the stuffing out of me. I also recall the nightmare last time around. We were relegation threatened at one point, before a late run under Burley. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

It feels like a sideways move to me. I find it hard to think of us as a side likely to get promoted. Maybe all the defeats has knocked the stuffing out of me. I also recall the nightmare last time around. We were relegation threatened at one point, before a late run under Burley. 

Take your point, hopefully this will be the wake up call SR need. Although, given the clusterfuck this season has become, who knows how they will react.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I guess the Jones appointment was based on Luton punching above their weight, results wise. As we had a smaller budget than many in the Prem, perhaps they thought that was the kind of track record required?

Maybe we need a manager that has managed to turn a sinking ship around. Not an easy task.

I still don't understand what anyone saw in Jones? If I could attend 4-6 Luton games a season with friends and family and see that the bloke was a complete Charlatan then how did the so called professionals not spot this?

Jones had great back room staff. As for him, he just shouted a lot and kissed and thumped the badge on his top. 

I've never saw him do anything that changed a game. 

• Haha 1

I still don't understand what anyone saw in Jones? If I could attend 4-6 Luton games a season with friends and family and see that the bloke was a complete Charlatan then how did the so called professionals not spot this?

Jones had great back room staff. As for him, he just shouted a lot and kissed and thumped the badge on his top. 

I've never saw him do anything that changed a game. 

A bit like Lyanco, yet a lot of numpties on here fell for all that. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east-stand-nic said:

Brendan Rogers is not a Southampton Manager and I hope to hell we do not get him as he will not fit. Potter is much better for the long term goals and would be interested if we give him what he wants (not just money).

What makes a 'Southampton' manager out of interest? Is it someone who has once played for us?

• Like 1