Arsenal 3-3 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

Arsenal = drum banging CUNTS. Paul Davis jaw breaking CUNTS. Van Cuntie owes me a grand CUNTS. Glory supporting didn't care about 'only winning the FA Cup' in 2003 CUNTS.

Bunch of CUNTS.

Don't really give a fuck who wins the league but I hope Man City do the CUNTS. Man City are cunts but not total CUNTS like Arsenal. Fuck 'em.

And it's 'Man City' - not fuckin 'City'. Do you think Leicester City were happy with our point tonight? New age cunts do my head in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Recorded it and watched after the event.

OMG, I am so angry with myself. I have been relatively happy in my resigned state of apathy knowing that we will contrive to lose a game of football no matter how or whom we play. Had us slated for a drubbing tonight. Went 1-0 up, thought 'we'll lose 6-1', went 2-0 up thought 'we'll lose 6-2', pegged back to 2-1, thought 'we'll be behind before half time'. When we went 3-1 up, against the run of play and with 25 minutes to play, I made the error of thinking we might, just might now hold on to win. 

So totally predictable we'd concede twice in two minutes and hang on for dear life for a point that just isn't enough.

Selles got ridiculously lucky with his crazy substitution of Alcaraz at half-time inviting pressure on us, but was determined to f_ck up the luck thrown our way by taking Lavia off. It's fine margins yes, but for me, the players bust a gut, the manager screwed it up.

Great game for the neutral, worst result for both teams. 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Rut said:

Arsenal = drum banging CUNTS. Paul Davis jaw breaking CUNTS. Van Cuntie owes me a grand CUNTS. Glory supporting didn't care about 'only winning the FA Cup' in 2003 CUNTS.

Bunch of CUNTS.

Don't really give a fuck who wins the league but I hope Man City do the CUNTS. Man City are cunts but not total CUNTS like Arsenal. Fuck 'em.

And it's 'Man City' - not fuckin 'City'. Do you think Leicester City were happy with our point tonight? New age cunts do my head in.

That’s pretty poetic stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh do fuck off with your constant Bazunu blame. He’s got absolute fuck all protection in front of him. They let crosses come in without pressure, they let shots come in without pressure. He’s a young keeper who yes may not be top premier league standard yet, but he will be a good keeper…. Unfortunately week in week out he is behind a bunch of clowns.

He had excellent protection in front of him tonight. He made 2 saves! Even Ramsdale made 3 saves, which shows how much protection he had considering Arsenal had most of the possession. 

You can make excuses for him but you can't blame the "clowns" in front of him on this occasion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh do fuck off with your constant Bazunu blame. He’s got absolute fuck all protection in front of him. They let crosses come in without pressure, they let shots come in without pressure. He’s a young keeper who yes may not be top premier league standard yet, but he will be a good keeper…. Unfortunately week in week out he is behind a bunch of clowns.

He won’t be a good keeper.  

• Like 1

Hard to know how to view it this morning, positive that we finally showed some fight and gave it a real go, or in some ways does that make all the other pathetic performances even worse knowing the players have it in them when they want to. 

No one I spoke to at half time thought we'd hold on at 2-1 so I guess we should be pleased with the point and the performance but it's hard to take throwing away a 2 goal lead in the 88th min 

Thought our support was excellent mostly, couldn't bring myself to join in with the poznan though 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Fair play for going etc. But we really weren’t ‘in control’ at any point of that game. Deep defence, desperate defending and hoofed out balls never constitutes ‘in control’.

we were cheering every pass taking the piss at about 85 mins in a dull atmosphere fairly empty stadium 

Edited by SotonianWill

28 minutes ago, JRM said:

Hard to know how to view it this morning, positive that we finally showed some fight and gave it a real go, or in some ways does that make all the other pathetic performances even worse knowing the players have it in them when they want to. 

No one I spoke to at half time thought we'd hold on at 2-1 so I guess we should be pleased with the point and the performance but it's hard to take throwing away a 2 goal lead in the 88th min 

Thought our support was excellent mostly, couldn't bring myself to join in with the poznan though 

Shop window mentality once more from us.

They know we're going down and only put in some effort against the "big" teams hoping someone will ignore the shit they produce the rest of the season and give them a contract so they can warm the bench with fistfuls of money.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JRM said:

The best way to view last night's result is looking back on it from Thursday night after the Bournemouth game. If we turn up and win, it'll be seen as a bonus point.

If, as expected we revert to the dull, monotonous and passionless football we usually put out against "lesser" teams. Then it's 2 points dropped.

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Needed to hold out for the win. We'd be sat 1 point off safety now and that's a huge mentality shift. Instead we could be 6 points behind by the end of the day and that's way too much ground to make up.

I thought you were supporting Arsenal?

• Like 1

People can moan about throwing away a 3-1 lead so late in the game, about spineless players, about stupid substitutions, but that result is not the one that will relegate us. To get a 3-3 draw away against the team that has spent most of the season at the top of the table is creditable, however the last 4 minutes of normal time panned out. ( But let's be honest, we all knew it was going to happen ).

The reality is that this squad is simply, across an entire season, not good enough, and we are where we deserve to be, and are almost certainly getting relegated because we are the worst team in the division. Selles is very limited as a manager, and his tenure will only be slightly longer that Mad Nate's, but after keeping Ralph too long, and the bewildering few months of Jones's appointment, there was never a chance of the club getting it right at the third time of asking.

The post mortem on 2022/23 will be bitter, acrimonious, and painful. I can't see Sports Republic going anywhere, I just hope they learn a few harsh lessons.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Never has a draw felt so much like a loss as this result.... How many goals do we need to be in front to hold onto a win? as soon as they got their second we knew what was coming.... Crazy 

More so than when Norris equalised at St Mary's? 

Teams come from 2 behind quite often. We did it against Spurs, Arsenal have a few times recently. It's not exactly unheard of, especially considering they are top of the league are were at home to the bottom team.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rut said:

Bunch of CUNTS.

Those thoughts, words and sentiments came to my mind as well. The camera panning the crowd you could see it was full of younger bandwagon fans, who gave up on their own team very easily and what was really telling was booing Walcott off, half of them didn’t even know who he was !

I wish the big six would eff off to their super league and get some reality back into football 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

keeps going on about trying to help Arsenal win title, why don’t we try and stay up theo? make that your first priority maybe? 

Theo was superb last night, could see where is loyalty was.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Teams come from 2 behind quite often. We did it against Spurs, Arsenal have a few times recently. It's not exactly unheard of, especially considering they are top of the league are were at home to the bottom team.

It's pretty unheard of when the team is winning by two goals in the 87th minute. 

Spending £11.99 on a Now TV day membership proved to be a fantastic decision for a superb action packed match that disappointed only in the end result. Anybody who loves football will have enjoyed this hell for leather spectacle between two teams with everything to lose.

What's to say that has not already been said? There was never a logical hope that we could beat Arsenal at the Emirates and in the end reality bit in.

In truth we lucked in with a freak goal after 27seconds and the shock and disarray that it caused to the Gunners was evident when we sliced through their non existent  defence for our worldie second.  After that there was always the niggling feeling that class would show and that we would not be able to hang onto our lead even when it went to 3-1.

Every one will be frustrated, disappointed and dismayed at the outcome and the blame game will be in full swing all day. Bear in mind though that we have been down and out for weeks now so one more disappointment makes no difference to our season anyway.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

No just it always seems to happen to us 😭

11 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

It's pretty unheard of when the team is winning by two goals in the 87th minute. 

It is at least the third time I have seen Saints do it, including a 2-2 draw at home to Middlesbrough when Redcrapp was manager and we led 2-0 going into the 89th minute.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

I dont understand why fans are so surprised. Once Arsenal got a second a third was sure to follow as we had for 45 mins been defending. Also Saints have a history of not holding on. To be fair other teams have done the same against the big clubs. It was great that we didnt lose. Where the extra 8 minutes came from???

If Arsenal had scored mid second half they would have won by 2 or 3.

It seems we rarely manage to keep a shot out, and personally I would have preferred us to have bought Johnson from WBA as our keeper as he seems to have developed well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

True, but being 3-1 up in the 87th minute is us in control. A good side would have seen out the game.

To be fair BP, Arsenal were done, just a bit of skill and a shot in the corner and it was game on again. All of a sudden they had energy and ours was sapped. As with all things another 3 inches would have made a difference to the shot being saved or missed 

10 hours ago, jabei said:

Show what? The performance was exactly the same as against Palace other than we took our chances goal wise

There is no way we played that quality of football against Palace. I had quite a few messages from fans of other clubs mentioning how decent we were and how the hell are we where we are

• Like 1

9 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Posters blaming Bazuno for parrying the ball back into play ... absolutely clueless!

Please tell me where he's meant to put it????????????

Sadly as per against Palace, not straight to their player

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The 87th minute is a misnomer because the game lasted 100 minutes. 

I understand the despondency at throwing away the lead late on, I was as gutted as anyone and still am. But those saying we bottled it, we still had another 10 minutes to hold on for the point after their equaliser despite being out on our feet and Arsenal having all the momentum. Would have been so easy to crumble and concede a winner. As frustrating as it was the team still deserve credit for last night.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

You're right, but Lavia at 10% is still miles better than Elyounoussi at 100%. 

He had been down injured. Whether that was timewasting I dont know, but that extra 10 minutes he could have injured himself for the rest of the season. He had a bad injury not long ago and so the risk factor was there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

Ok how many points has he saved us this year? How many points has he lost us?

Yeah probably a few BUT you can't blame him for any last night.

The 3rd goal is smashed across him low which like any keeper world over, he can only get a hand to - no way on earth he can do anything else with it

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Sadly as per against Palace, not straight to their player

Which he probably wouldn't have done if Sulemana hadn't slipped.  IMO he wasn't to blame for any of those goal last night.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He had been down injured. Whether that was timewasting I dont know, but that extra 10 minutes he could have injured himself for the rest of the season. He had a bad injury not long ago and so the risk factor was there.

He had cramp. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

It seems we rarely manage to keep a shot out, and personally I would have preferred us to have bought Johnson from WBA as our keeper as he seems to have developed well

johnstone has only played a couple of prem games all season. Not sure how you can conclude that he has developed well.

2 hours ago, jawillwill said:

I thought you were supporting Arsenal?

If they'd gotten a routine win as we were all expecting it wouldn't have affected me in the slightest as I want to see them win the league. Never expected us to come close to getting anything. Once we'd gone 2-0 (and actually more so at 3-1) I started to believe we might actually win the game. As it turns out we ended up with a terrible result for both sides. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

What are the chances of alcaraz staying next season?

Even in the championship we need to be doing everything to convince this lad to stay. Trouble is, Selles will drop him for the midweek game and make it harder to do so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Even in the championship we need to be doing everything to convince this lad to stay. Trouble is, Selles will drop him for the midweek game and make it harder to do so.

I think a couple of the dubious substitutions were Selles saving players for the Bournemouth game.

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Depends how much we are paying him, and how much someone is willing to pay for him.

I would love to see him stay. Can also see it being beneficial for him to stay. He is very raw and inconsistent. Could see him moving to another prem club and benchwarming. 

If it was sold to him that he can stay and get regular football and if it doesn't look like we're going up he can leave in Jan, it could work for both sides. 

• Like 1