James Ward-Prowse

harvey

On 09/08/2023 at 20:33, Charlie Wayman said:

As Club Captain, Ward Prowse's chronic lack of leadership contributed more than a little to our demise of the past few seasons and ultimate relegation. One might have expected that now in Saints hour of need he would set aside any personal ambitions and be the first person to rally around the flag and lead the fight back but No! 

At the first sniff of rancid banknotes the big rats are fighting each other to get off the sinking ship and Ward Prowse it now proves has led the charge. Shame on him. It certainly leaves bitter taste. To hell with all the sentimental twaddle that so many forum scribes have posted on here, Ward Prowse has acted despicably and deserves opprobrium rather than misplaced misty eyed acclaim.

He's b*ggered off to enrich himself and left us the pick up the pieces. Good bloody riddance to him.

I’m still pissed of Charlie Wayman abandoned us for Preston.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So really all that is left is the unveiling video and an interview where JWP says something anodyne and harmless about how pleased he is to join his new club, which someone on here will interpret as a disgraceful dig and ungrateful slur against Saints.

So there is always something to look forward to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So really all that is left is the unveiling video and an interview where JWP says something anodyne and harmless about how pleased he is to join his new club, which someone on here will interpret as a disgraceful dig and ungrateful slur against Saints.

Let's hope he doesn't buy a page in the echo to publish a goodbye letter. That went well last time.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Oh I can’t wait for the hilariously stupid comments are going to be aimed his way. 😂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobby_charles said:

Looking forward to corners that arent as lofty and ambling as a kite, how amny of his corners were converted into goals? 

Plenty when we had Ings beating opponents at the near post. A few when we had Vestegaard too. His corners were good, it's the players in the box not doing anything that was the problem 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dman said:

we'll soon see wont we. Downes is a fantastic player. excited for that one 👍

He's a good player, and that's coming from someone that thought he'd be a good signing last summer, but fantastic is quite strong language. It's a bloody great signing for a championship club, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Plenty when we had Ings beating opponents at the near post. A few when we had Vestegaard too. His corners were good, it's the players in the box not doing anything that was the problem 

To be honest I just dont think they were. He had a brilliant foot for close range free kicks but they just didnt work a vast majority of the time for corners, well at least the last few seasons,we should have changed them up. Can you honestly remember being excited about a jwp corner? But hey he can sit on the bench for west ham now.

You never know what you had until you lose it. Anybody truly happy JWP has left and feeling he’s not good enough for saints  it’s the end of crab football and so on. Well, I do not agree with you and think it’s a pity you think that way. I’m not sure that I’d take your advice on anything to be frank if that’s your view on JWP. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

You never know what you had until you lose it. Anybody truly happy JWP has left and feeling he’s not good enough for saints  it’s the end of crab football and so on. Well, I do not agree with you and think it’s a pity you think that way. I’m not sure that I’d take your advice on anything to be frank if that’s your view on JWP. 

He did as he was told , like Redmond so looked ineffectual to us ! I liked his aggressive period with Ralph but like most players he needed good players around him .

13 hours ago, bobby_charles said:

To be honest I just dont think they were. He had a brilliant foot for close range free kicks but they just didnt work a vast majority of the time for corners, well at least the last few seasons,we should have changed them up. Can you honestly remember being excited about a jwp corner? But hey he can sit on the bench for west ham now.

As I said, when we had players that actually won bear and back post headers they were very effective. Last couple of years we haven't had the likes of Ings winning them. I blame the men in the box not jwp. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Has it even been officially announced yet? Bit weird to upload this before doing so. 

Fuck him anyway, just another former player who has proven he'd rather earn a few extra quid than actually be remembered as a legend for decades to come. 

Screenshot_20230814-084726.png

Oh, you're hard. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Has it even been officially announced yet? Bit weird to upload this before doing so. 

Fuck him anyway, just another former player who has proven he'd rather earn a few extra quid than actually be remembered as a legend for decades to come. 

Can't agree with you, very poor response in my view.

I can't say I'm bothered about Lavia or Livramento on leaving but a player who has spent over a decade in and around the first team is different.

JWP has given his all over the years (irrespective of if some think there are  limitations in his game) and has always conducted himself with dignity. He deserves a better response. Good luck to him at West Ham,. hope it works out for him.

(Probably wouldn't have been so gracious in hoping it goes well if he'd gone to Liverpool or Spurs mind)

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

See ya, but one last question, what was incredible?

And try not to be sick

West Ham on the rise' | 'Club has real momentum'

New West Ham midfielder James Ward-Prowse:

“I’m buzzing to be here at West Ham United. It’s great to be here and I’m looking forward to getting going.

lcimg-ea9b89b9-25b8-4fe0-874d-335ce178e6bd.jpeg

“From the outside looking in, this is a Club that has been on the rise for a number of years now and coming off the success in the UEFA Europa Conference League last year, you can feel there is real momentum around this Club. It’s great to be a part of it and I can’t wait to play my role in the games to come. 

“When I think about my game, it is based on hard work, graft, and giving 100 per cent. West Ham United has always been a Club that has epitomises that. You can feel that from the fans and you can see it in the players who are here and the lads that have come through the Academy too.

“I feel as though I will fit straight in and I can promise I will give my all for this football Club in my time here.”

Edited by tdmickey3

• Lighthouse changed the title to JWP - Official: Signs for West Ham
5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

club seem to be putting it on JWP pushing for the move. Not quite true as he was for sale at the right price 

Not quite true, but I guess if he had absolutely no interest in leaving we would of said no thanks to any bids.

• Like 4

As many of us predicted, relegation = losing all our best players and being left with the shit. Anyone thinking he would stay out of some misplaced loyalty was in fantasy land. 

Massive few weeks for SR and Wilcox now. 

• Like 6

Good luck to him, it was always massively unlikely he’d stay and a lower mid-table team like West Ham is probably a good level for him. I just hope Hammers fans don’t expect him to be anywhere near as good as Rice, because they’ll turn on him very quickly if they do.

I liked JWP, he could pass a ball well and had a decent engine, was very hard working and could hit a free kick up with the best of them. But...

- I don’t think Championship Saints will miss him. We have Charles, hopefully Charly and Smallbone, and Downes and possibly Grimes joining them. That should be fine. 

- His corners weren’t great.

- He’s 29 soon, we may have had his best years. He’s not going to cover every blade of grass as he gets older.

- He’s going to be compared to Rice, who is the better player.

- West Ham is, IMO, not the best move for him but if they're the only club that bid then he didn’t have a choice. I think Moyes is on borrowed time there. Yes they won the European trophy equivalent of the JPT but I’d be extremely surprised if they won anything else soon.

I do wish him the best and I hope he gets that free kick record from Beckham. I just think West Ham will be expecting too much from him and he’s not that sort of player, he’s very much the tidy midfielder that goes under the radar a lot of the time.

• Like 2

My only personal hope for him is that West Ham draw the skates in one of the cups and he does his golf swing celebration in front of the Fratton End.

Other than that, I couldn't care less if he gets into the England team or breaks any free kick records, I only care about Saints players.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

club seem to be putting it on JWP pushing for the move. Not quite true as he was for sale at the right price 

Correct. He was told during the season that he could go in the summer. In the end I suspect that the lad didn't the move he wanted, and we didn't get the fee we wanted. Anyways, good look to him, he's been a loyal servant. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

My only personal hope for him is that West Ham draw the skates in one of the cups and he does his golf swing celebration in front of the Fratton End.

Other than that, I couldn't care less if he gets into the England team or breaks any free kick records, I only care about Saints players.

Not sure that would be a great move from a man that is part of a Portsmouth supporting family?

Genuinely not bothered, knew it was coming and free kicks aside never found him to be anything but an above average Premier League player that no other team were interested in or he have been off like a shot. That “loyalty” led to some fans considering him a legend when in fairness he was just another Benali.

Looking forward to seeing who comes in to run the midfield now, hopefully we bring in someone of captain material.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Good luck to him, it was always massively unlikely he’d stay and a lower mid-table team like West Ham is probably a good level for him. I just hope Hammers fans don’t expect him to be anywhere near as good as Rice, because they’ll turn on him very quickly if they do.

Let's hope Hammers fans do turn on him and make his time there as miserable as possible 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Genuinely not bothered, knew it was coming and free kicks aside never found him to be anything but an above average Premier League player that no other team were interested in or he have been off like a shot. That “loyalty” led to some fans considering him a legend when in fairness he was just another Benali.

Looking forward to seeing who comes in to run the midfield now, hopefully we bring in someone of captain material.

Agree with some of that, but "just" benali is absolutely a bona fide club legend.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Can't sell a player that wants to see his contract out, but I get your point. The fact is, he wanted to go and the club agreed to the move if they got £30m. It seems very amicable to me. 

I've got no complaints. We've been utter turd for years. I never expected him to continue with us in the second division.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Just another Benali - yeah, ok

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse