Russell Martin

LegalEagle

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh wankersen went to wales to buy a load of leek

instead he got a manager who is a vegan freak 

It’ll be tofu in the stands and vegan sausage rolls 

but all we really want is to score some fucking goals 

Thought you’d be impressed as it really does tick a lot of the inclusion boxes, and adds to our virtual signalling bollocks.

Just now, Badger said:

Thought you’d be impressed as it really does tick a lot of the inclusion boxes, and adds to our virtual signalling bollocks.

Stand by for a big SFC veganuary virtue signalling campaign 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I know the rumours have been that Diallo will leave, but of our players, I actually think he might be the most suited to the possession game

Really? I think he's absolutely god awful in possession and just a decent athlete/presser.

He's maybe the second I'd want gone with this switch (after Paul).

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 2

We will be in the championship,do we really think we should have a manager who has managed in the premier league. To get out of the championship we need a manager who knows the league,whether RM [ assuming it happens ] or some one else. Still think Burnley rode the Kompany wave and never lost momentum,as opposed to really being that good,but well done to them anyway.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I mean, this is quite a simplistic and basic view, playing out from the back has a lot of advantages especially if we want to be a possession based team, the games moved on from lumping it forward

That said though it’ll be interesting to see who we buy and what we do if that is the plan because whenever we actually have to pass it about we look absolutely woeful

But it isn’t “playing out from the back”. It’s playing around at the back and getting nowhere.

• Like 2

Clinging on to the fact that Pochettino seemed to be a mad decision, he’d seemed to have achieved fuck all as manager too and our fans were melting down.

You get the right fit for a club now and again, let’s hope Russell Harty is ours 

44 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I know the rumours have been that Diallo will leave, but of our players, I actually think he might be the most suited to the possession game

A possession game doesn’t get you goals. There has to be a risk in there somewhere. A chance of losing possession.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Really? I think he's absolutely god awful in possession and just a decent athlete/presser.

He's maybe the second I'd want gone with this switch (after Paul).

He hasn't shown it for us but his passing looked really good on the obligatory misleading YouTube before he joined

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But it isn’t “playing out from the back”. It’s playing around at the back and getting nowhere.

Not wanting to be a pedant but he was responding to a post where you said "playing out from the back". You're changing your argument now

43 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

Clinging on to the fact that Pochettino seemed to be a mad decision, he’d seemed to have achieved fuck all as manager too and our fans were melting down.

You get the right fit for a club now and again, let’s hope Russell Harty is ours 

Yes, but the previous two managers (Pardew and Adkins) were both successful prior to Poch, in stark contrast to the two jokers chosen by Semens and Rasmus W. Ankersen.

The latter's massive ego is inversely proportional to his talent, and this choice (if true) has that fraud's incompetent fingerprints all over it.

So, a quick flick through the last two pages suggests our responses range from:

• Please no, he is going to be a disaster..

Through to...

• Let's just give him a chance... maybe this is the best we can get at the moment

with the most positive view being:

• He made some improvements in the past taking a relegation contender to mid-table obscurity. Let's give him a chance.
  • We have previously appointed managers who didn't look that good but were better than we feared.

All in all then I don't see resounding approval for the guy! Let's hope he isn't just a 'keep the ball and faff about with it at the back' style manager, but I guess we all fear that this is exactly what we are getting!

Well, let’s be honest it’s a risk. He might be great, but his record doesn’t demonstrate success - improvement, yes; success, no.

Hes not a name that will help in the transfer market.

His football philosophy might help us build a ‘style’ or ‘identity’ and I’m fine with possession based football but I’ve been bored senseless for the last 6/7 seasons by a combination of turgid football and depressing results. I’m not convinced this will drastically change either of those.

And my final comment is that the real issue in the squad now is mentality. We have a squad full of losers, mentally ruined and fragile. Many will not be here but those remaining need fixing pretty damn quickly. This needs a strong character and personality and I’m not convinced Martin is that person.

So overall I’m very underwhelmed. It could be the start of something great and as ever I really hope it is.

The one positive is that it appears we’ve acted early and decisively which means plenty of time for him to get to grips with the task in hand.

But this is the single most important job at the club, and I am worried we’ve taken another gamble by trying to be clever and hip. That hasn’t gone well with our managerial decisions or indeed recruitment since SR took over so far … hope this time we fair a lot better but not hugely confident right now to be honest 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

13th placed finish next season incoming. 

Some on here would see that as a good season. 

Martin will need to be given the players that suit his philosophy, particularly those occupying the defensive roles.

I thought Parker would’ve given us the best chance of bouncing back but I’m intrigued to see us dominating the ball. When it works it’s a beautiful thing but no doubt there will be bumps along the way. Watch your blood pressure lads. 

8 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Never seen a guy give the ball away so cheaply so often. He's been a complete disappointment so far. Maybe the drop down in level will give him the time and space he obviously needs.

• Like 3

Swansea won 7 out of 9 games we can’t win one!!

I like sound new recruitment chap his Burnley signings look good plus Aberdeen ones too.

If Wilcox and Mowbray can provide Martin with some firepower on the end of the 56 passes we might see a win at SMS! 
Not an appointment I wanted but looks done. Season ticket will be renewed as usual 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Never seen a guy give the ball away so cheaply so often. He's been a complete disappointment so far. Maybe the drop down in level will give him the time and space he obviously needs.

Think he said wants to leave won’t be too disappointed with that . There was a rumour a French club we’re interested no doubt a loan with us paying most of the wages

Edited by Give it to Ron

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I seem to remember Diallo having an excellent 5 minutes or so when he came on at the end of the game at Bournemouth. Ball stuck to him like glue and he helped Saints to a (not so) valuable 3 points. The moment stands out in the memory because it was so unusual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

I can’t see this being the appointment that’s going to help boost season ticket sales at a time a big statement was required for a disillusioned fan base.

Pep is unavailable 

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Think he said wants to leave won’t be too disappointed with that . There was a rumour a French club we’re interested no doubt a loan with us paying most of the wages

I didn't know that. Hasn't been able to get a game here, so don't blame him. Had a similar impact as Classie. Little. The 40% wage cut will make him financially viable for a middling French club. 

• Like 1

So I was thinking again why Martin as you couldn’t get a polar opposite to Jones .

Martin ties in with academy type we have. Pressing game isn’t sustainable over a season as Poch found at Spurs.

Having to pay off Ralph,Jones and his coaches must mean our budget was reduced for the new manager. Martin is out of contract  soon so available?

41 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Claude Puel vibes coming through with all these passing stats.

Means absolutely sod all if you haven’t got someone to finish them off.

And here is the crux of the summer really. Whatever manager we have it’s going to come down to recruiting a good squad. 

I personally am chuffed we’ve got a manager who will make us more pleasing on the eye at the very least but we’ll have to give him the players to succeed.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Just wondering how it seems so certain when, as stated by all outlets, we havn't even approached him yet?

That's not what's being reported. They're saying that we haven't made an approach to Swansea yet. Completely different to sorting out a deal behind the scenes with Martin or his agent, then approaching Swansea. 

• Like 1

If this is remotely true I'm not sure what wankerson is seeing in his magic stats, but if we're after someone who has lost more than he's won (yes I know there is one game in it) then we must be desperate for mediocrity.

Another "trying to be clever" appointment - looks like wankerson has learned nothing.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chez said:

Martin seems to be the polar opposite of Jones. That works for me.

League champions by five points. 

Opposite in terms of style but as an appointment I’d argue very similar in terms of risk and disappointment from the fan base. 

The idiots at St Mary’s are going to hate his “entertaining style”. Passing it around the back with no purpose and taking unneeded risks in our half. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Opposite in terms of style but as an appointment I’d argue very similar in terms of risk and disappointment from the fan base. 

The idiots at St Mary’s are going to hate his “entertaining style”. Passing it around the back with no purpose and taking unneeded risks in our half. 

The get it fooooooward gang are going to be very upset 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

And here is the crux of the summer really. Whatever manager we have it’s going to come down to recruiting a good squad. 

I personally am chuffed we’ve got a manager who will make us more pleasing on the eye at the very least but we’ll have to give him the players to succeed.

Is passing around in our own half huffing and puffing for an opening pleasing on the eye? Watch that video of his team goal with the 50 ish passes. The team nearly lost the ball on occasions and had no idea how to break them down until the last pass for goal. If the goal didn't come at the end of it, it would have just been 3 mins of turgid keep ball. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, egg said:

This looks like a shocker to be honest. As a player he was a solid pro but never achieved anything as such, and has done nothing as manager. His teams score goals, but concede loads too playing what Strachan rightly described as propaganda football - possession for the sake of it. I'd have preferred someone who has experience of getting clubs out of the championship or close to it - seems like another stats based risk. 

Stroke of genius, I wonder what Gordon is doing at the moment. 

Palace can do it……..

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I can’t see this being the appointment that’s going to help boost season ticket sales at a time a big statement was required for a disillusioned fan base.

Would any manager bar someone incredible like Guardiola or Mourinho boost ticket sales?

Winning games early doors and people will start crawling back

8 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Not wanting to be a pedant but he was responding to a post where you said "playing out from the back". You're changing your argument now

All right, if you must. ‘Attempting to play out from the back’

What happens is the players involved get closed down and end up panicking and passing the ball between themselves. Sometimes they get caught out and it leads to a goal opportunity for the other side. Whatever, they make several passes and end up no further upfield.  Boring to watch and as far away from the other team’s goal as possible.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dman said:

Why do you insult our paying supporters and customers by calling them idiots? It’s this style of play that is idiotic. Just shuffling the ball about without purpose or intent.

• Like 1