Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 minute ago, CityRanger said:

This from Martin startled me in the Leicester pre match press conference : “If Jason (Wilcox) has to ring me one day saying it hasn’t worked out, as long as I can walk knowing I’ve treated people well and given them all I can, I’ll just learn from it.”

Thats not what I want to hear several games into season after a massive loss to Sunderland. We’re not a fucking training simulation.

That doesn’t startle me, it gives me hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I honestly can't believe I'm saying this after so few games, but this idiot has to go. We were warned, and every word was correct.

Sadly I’m inclined to agree. He talks a great game, sounds very knowledgable, but he has literally no idea how to set up a team defensively. After Sunderland he said we won’t make those mistakes again, and we’ve gone and made them all in the very next game. Just utterly shambolic tactics that encourage mistakes in the very worst areas.  We’ll look ok against some of the lesser sides in this division but gains anyone good we’ll get cut open time and time and time again. 

I’d hoped Martin would have learnt from the end of his Swansea days when he actually sorted things out (7 wins in 9, 5 clean sheets). He obviously hasn’t.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Swansea fan here, watching your game as my lads won't be on till tomorrow. So I'll give you the opinion of someone who spent far too long enduring Russball and 'the process'.

Never was a fan of RM, he seemed nice enough but he's far better at self promotion than football management and I couldn't believe you guys came in for him. The longer he spent at Swansea coaching his tactics into the team, the worse we got. He's absolutely smitten with possession regardless of the end result, and he's obssessed with a passing triangle between keeper and the center backs....even when they are under intense pressure. This obsession leaked tons and tons of goals for Swansea and any competent poacher will be licking their lips if they play against a RM team. We went about 20 games without a win due to his crazy 'piss about dangerously at the back' tactics and only when he changed out of that did we get wins (he went straight back to it once his job was safe).

I'll never forget him for the double he gave us over Cardiff and then another one the season after xD, but he won't be missed. Don't think that just because the Saints squad is significantly higher quality than the Swans squad and most of the championship that you are immune to his anti-tactics. Given enough time he'll give you the worst defensive record in the league.

At least you'll smash us when we play, we are proper shite now.

• Like 10

On 14/09/2023 at 12:32, derry said:

Sounds like a decent bloke, a bit different from the normal run of the mill managers. Now that the transfer window is shut and his squad is complete following the 5-0 hammering, there is the necessity to combine a mean defence with his football attacking ideals if we are to realise everybody's ambitions. I think it is time to buckle up and see how it turns out.

I buckled up and it didn't turn out well tonight. Decent bloke but not sure he's going to cut the mustard.

I'm not against project managers. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to implement new ideas and clean out a club. I would happily sacrifice this season for the right manager and right style of play that can deliver long term success. 

The issue with Martin is how do we know this is going to get better? How do we know his 'philosophy' actually works? Right now it seems pretty simple to play against. Let us tap it around, and then hit us with pace on the counter. 

If you look at Ange at spurs, sure it is a big step up from Celtic and his other clubs. But his style has delivered results elsewhere even if at a lower level so there was always going to be something to hold onto. Martin hasn't got any notable success, and has the luxury of working with one of the most resourced clubs in the division. He is now officially under pressure, as if we have nothing to hold onto with either past success, or progress on the pitch, then why should he be given extra time for the sake of extra time?

• Like 3

Just now, sydney_saint said:

I'm not against project managers. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to implement new ideas and clean out a club. I would happily sacrifice this season for the right manager and right style of play that can deliver long term success. 

The issue with Martin is how do we know this is going to get better? How do we know his 'philosophy' actually works? Right now it seems pretty simple to play against. Let us tap it around, and then hit us with pace on the counter. 

If you look at Ange at spurs, sure it is a big step up from Celtic and his other clubs. But his style has delivered results elsewhere even if at a lower level so there was always going to be something to hold onto. Martin hasn't got any notable success, and has the luxury of working with one of the most resourced clubs in the division. He is now officially under pressure, as if we have nothing to hold onto with either past success, or progress on the pitch, then why should he be given extra time for the sake of extra time?

Completely agree. He's achieved fuck all.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I buckled up and it didn't turn out well tonight. Decent bloke but not sure he's going to cut the mustard.

It’s so achingly obvious he isn’t ever going to cut the mustard. Nice bloke or not he ain’t ever cutting it. 

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

We were warned. 
it’s like Jones all over again. 
clueless and so many shortcomings it’s incredible. 
they didn’t even look like they were playing for him. 
he talks a good game,but shambolic in implementing it. 
same old same old. 

With the greatest of respect, the immediate shitfest is somewhat reminiscent of the Welsh Wally.

I don't think I like Martin very much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

The theory behind his appointment seems to be “Well he plays possession football, and we want to play possession football like what Man. City do. Ok his teams weren’t that successful at doing it but with better players like what we have it should work out. And stuff”.

He's a terrible manager, his tactics are all over the place. He talks a good game but just tries to copy Pep.

We marked man for man tonight and just left a big gaping whole for them to play into the striker then run off him. At no point did we try and plug it. 

The same mistakes week in week out and we have a very very strong playing squad who should not be shipping 3-4 goals a game. 

He wont change, so we need to if we have any asperation of going up (which I don't think we do tbh). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

I've always respected Palace after they sacked De Boer.

That's why they stay a PL club year on year - they know what they're doing

We aren't ruthless enough as a club. Gave Ralph far too long in the job. Jones just should never have been appointed. Selles was just the easy option because they couldn't be arsed with looking for someone vaguely competent. No idea what the saw in Martin. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We aren't ruthless enough as a club. Gave Ralph far too long in the job. Jones just should never have been appointed. Selles was just the easy option because they couldn't be arsed with looking for someone vaguely competent. No idea what the saw in Martin. 

Some more spreadsheet bollox I expect. 

They wanted that bloke at Leicester, but he reected us - martin was second choice and a terrible one at that. 

Just now, SwansFan said:

It's like watching us last season.

How many goals have you conceded playing out of the back?

Not so much that, but just fecking piss easy against us on the break. When I say piss easy, it is an embarrassment to the professional game. Look at Leicester's 4th, they were 3-on-1 with our keeper from 25 yards inside their own half.

But I guess you have the lived experience.

I've just checked, and I haven't wet the bed. I wasn't sure about Russell Martin when we appointed him, but I am now. Get rid ASAP before its too late to mount a proper challenge. No point waiting until Christmas when it will be too late for anyone to make a significant impact. I assume there is money available from the transfers. Use it now to pay off this clown and get someone in who at least has a clue what they're doing. This has got Pellegrino and Jones written all over it. The players are not good enough for the tippy tappy bollocks being coached and are obviously not buying into it. The only time we looked like attacking tonight was when Bazumu punted it long.

• Like 1

We seem to be in the habit of appointing managers that are so set on their way of playing that they are totally inflexible to find a way to nullify the opposition. 
we all know the way Pep likes to set up,and what he expects…but it never stops him from changing it just enough to counteract the opponents. 

Us however,employ someone who is so rigid that nothing will change their mindset. 
despite who’s injured,suspended etc…nope it will be the same way. 
despite us all seeing that it’s not feasible,they still fucking do it. 
you have to be willing to compromise,but Hasenhuttl baulked against it…jones was never going to change….and now I see it in Martin. 
fuck me…hearing his Sky interview post match…he’s now even sounding like Jones,barring the accent. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 3

No. No. No. No. No. 

Nobody will ever convince me this bloke isn’t massively out of his depth. He’s coming out with stupid stats like Mad Nate, just doing it in a nicer way. He just claimed this “was a much better game than against Sunderland, and there wasn’t much in it”

He has to go. 

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, VisitingJack said:

Swansea fan here, watching your game as my lads won't be on till tomorrow. So I'll give you the opinion of someone who spent far too long enduring Russball and 'the process'.

Never was a fan of RM, he seemed nice enough but he's far better at self promotion than football management and I couldn't believe you guys came in for him. The longer he spent at Swansea coaching his tactics into the team, the worse we got. He's absolutely smitten with possession regardless of the end result, and he's obssessed with a passing triangle between keeper and the center backs....even when they are under intense pressure. This obsession leaked tons and tons of goals for Swansea and any competent poacher will be licking their lips if they play against a RM team. We went about 20 games without a win due to his crazy 'piss about dangerously at the back' tactics and only when he changed out of that did we get wins (he went straight back to it once his job was safe).

I'll never forget him for the double he gave us over Cardiff and then another one the season after xD, but he won't be missed. Don't think that just because the Saints squad is significantly higher quality than the Swans squad and most of the championship that you are immune to his anti-tactics. Given enough time he'll give you the worst defensive record in the league.

At least you'll smash us when we play, we are proper shite now.

What surprises me from my outside perspective (Ipswich fan) is that Martin has marketed himself as a process manager but has never stuck around anywhere long enough to see the project through. This season is his big chance as it's the first time he's had players with enough talent for him to deliver good possession stats and consistently win matches. With that in mind, you'd have thought he'd have focused on tightening up at the back a bit but the defending tonight was laughably poor and worse than anything I saw at Swansea, albeit from a small sample size. 

The tactical system is odd too. The whole point of inverting the full backs is to reduce the risk of being caught on the counter attack and yet the opposite has happened. Mavididi had the choice of two unmarked players to square it to when bearing down on goal, one on either side. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. I know there have been injuries at CB but playing Charles there with a two man central midfield in front of him was incredibly naive. That team was crying out for a midfield destroyer to sit in, something which seems to be lacking in the squad. Downes can put himself about but is more of a box-to-box player. 

Even though Saints have a far superior squad and will probably finish above us come May, I'm fairly confident of us getting a result on Tuesday. Our pressing and counter attacking are very strong, two things which Martin's sides struggle with. 

I do hope he gets it right as despite being an ex-Norwich captain, I have always found him far more likeable than many of their ex-players. He needs to sort things out very quickly though as he's still struggling with the same tactical mistakes he was making two or three years ago.

Edited by EFL Saints
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

I'd argue it's worse than last season. 

Its far worse that last season imo. We've got one of the best squads in the league even after relegation.

The last games hassenhuttle had with a fit squad he beat Chelsea and outplayed united.... Feels like an absolute age ago and we've had some absolute dross managers in since then.

We've lost 9-1 over the last 2 games... Yet martin's just called the fanbase naïve in his post match interview... and he's done that at the same time as saying he's proud of tonight's performance 🤣. Are Leicester fan's naïve for expecting their team to bounce back? I thought post Sunderland and in this pre match he was already starting to make excuses, but now he's escalating to criticising the fans already?! Obviously feeling the pressure a bit, but a worrying sign none the less. And how can anyone be more naïve than this manager in all seriousness? His tactics are batshit suicidal and he can't just tell the players to "defend better than they are"... whilst saying "I'm really proud of them doing what we want them to do"... Does he really not realise he needs to change his tactics ffs.

16goals in 6 league games, no clean sheets, humiliated by Gillingham ffs, and we're naïve.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7