Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

To take it away from some of the classless comments on this thread, I thought it was notable how the team slightly adjusted their approach at the back tonight.

We obviously appreciate that McCarthy isn't as good with his feet (no one can deny that Bazunu is top draw with that element), so I noticed much less tight passing around the back. Hard to say conclusively though as PNE didn't press us a great deal and we weren't put under much pressure, but it did look as if we moved the ball away from the back 4 much quicker - and McCarthy wasn't as advanced as Bazunu often is from his penalty box.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

It’s a shame for bazanu that’s he’s injured. If we’re lose a player to injury we’re lucky it is him and not a key player.

It is about playing to mccarthy’s strengths. He’s not going to have the distribution but Hopefully he can show himself to be a better shot stopper, cross dealer, which are attributes i value in a gk.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Who’s said that? 2 + 2 = 5. 

just long enough to stop him from being in contention for another game this season will do 👍

Whenhis mental health suffers and he starts shooting innocent bystanders and then turns the gun on himself you will feel guilty

• Haha 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

To take it away from some of the classless comments on this thread, I thought it was notable how the team slightly adjusted their approach at the back tonight.

We obviously appreciate that McCarthy isn't as good with his feet (no one can deny that Bazunu is top draw with that element), so I noticed much less tight passing around the back. Hard to say conclusively though as PNE didn't press us a great deal and we weren't put under much pressure, but it did look as if we moved the ball away from the back 4 much quicker - and McCarthy wasn't as advanced as Bazunu often is from his penalty box.

So what you’re saying is that by Bazunu not being in goal, we were a better team? The same Bazunu who was in the side until he got an injury… therefore, it’s a good thing for us.. no?

• Like 1

Just now, whelk said:

Whenhis mental health suffers and he starts shooting innocent bystanders and then turns the gun on himself you will feel guilty

He usually lets most shots go straight past him.

If he finally finds himself in the way of one, guilty probably not. Shocked he’s got his body in the way, absolutely.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

So what you’re saying is that by Bazunu not being in goal, we were a better team? The same Bazunu who was in the side until he got an injury… therefore, it’s a good thing for us.. no?

I wasn't saying that, I just said how we'd adjusted to play with a different type of GK. I think we'll miss what he gives us with the ball playing and giving us an extra man in midfield at times. It's hard to really come to any conclusion that we're a better team until his replacement has been put under any sort of pressure.

I'm not alone in being disappointed with the goals he lets in and how limp wristed he can be, but the comments and celebrations about him getting a long term serious injury are absolutley classless and the sort of thing you get from anonymous trolls on twitter, not fans of a football club.

• Like 17

57 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

McCarthy looked fine tonight. One wobbly moment when Manning bizarrely passed it back to him when he took a quick free kick to get us moving, but Bazunu has multiple wobbly moments a game anyway.

No he doesn't, your making things up because of your ridiculous determination to hate him. He has a weakness in saving shots hit low and hard to his left but we don't help the matter as a team by letting opponents have unchallenged shots in acres of space in our own penalty area, like we did three times against Ipswich.

If Baz is out long term it's bad news. McC clearly isn't as comfortable playing the ball as Baz and he's no better a shot stopper either.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No he doesn't, your making things up because of your ridiculous determination to hate him. He has a weakness in saving shots hit low and hard to his left but we don't help the matter as a team by letting opponents have unchallenged shots in acres of space in our own penalty area, like we did three times against Ipswich.

If Baz is out long term it's bad news. McC clearly isn't as comfortable playing the ball as Baz and he's no better a shot stopper either.

Find it quite amusing that there are people actually celebrating the fact McCarthy is back playing in goal. 

• Like 1

Its so great that so many posters are at training every day without fail so they can see how bad McCarthy is, I mean who would trust the professional opinion our coaching team and manager?🙄

Edited by Huffton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Couldn’t agree more.

It was pretty evident that McCarthy wasn’t comfortable with his feet.

Ironic really, a footballer who can’t competently kick a back more than a few yards. Equally ironic a player that can use their hands but tends not to actually save anything.

Our tactical approach was different tonight but as said, very inconclusive as Preston were awful from the start.

I liked how we didn’t miss around with it at the back though, I thought the distribution was quicker and thus the tempo flowed better for the team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Couldn’t agree more.

It was pretty evident that McCarthy wasn’t comfortable with his feet.

Ironic really, a footballer who can’t competently kick a back more than a few yards. Equally ironic a player that can use their hands but tends not to actually save anything.

Our tactical approach was different tonight but as said, very inconclusive as Preston were awful from the start.

I liked how we didn’t miss around with it at the back though, I thought the distribution was quicker and thus the tempo flowed better for the team.

Did you watch the same game as everyone else? The only time AM looked uncomfortable with the ball at his feet was when Manning inexplicably passed it to him with two opposition players on top of him, which he still managed to deal with. Apart from that his distribution was fine, and hs long passes were far more accurate than Bazunu usualy manages.

• Like 1

I was surprised McCarthy was picked ahead of Lumley given he has been non-existent this season, but you've got to pick the goalkeeper who has played for England and been a below average Premier League goalkeeper, which probably makes him serviceable in the Championship over the below average Championship goalkeeper. Remember Lumley's stats at Reading weren't much better than Bazunu's, if they were, from what I can remember. Fortunately, we've only had to see the Watford FA Cup howler from him and that wasn't too costly. Feel more confident with McCarthy in the sticks, we know his drawbacks and deficiencies, while I don't think we've seen enough of Lumley to get the full experience, but I remember that lowlights video of him when he signed.

Now, knowing our luck with McCarthy, he'll have a good end to the season and we'll offer him a new contract and a wage increase.

• Like 1

It does the club no good to have a regular first teamer out injured for quite a while. I’m sure he’ll come back stronger.

If his absence means that we play less of the nerve-wracking triangles around our own goal then it can only be a good thing.

My concern now is that McCarthy is somehow seen as a better bet than Lumley. At least it’s only four games in which either has to excel. Cross our fingers and hold our hands over our eyes.

• Haha 1

Sincerely hope the lad makes a full recovery.  Also hope he’s played his last game for the club.  He’s a poor goalkeeper and I’d expect us to sign a better one this summer regardless of our league status.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I was surprised McCarthy was picked ahead of Lumley given he has been non-existent this season, but you've got to pick the goalkeeper who has played for England and been a below average Premier League goalkeeper, which probably makes him serviceable in the Championship over the below average Championship goalkeeper. Remember Lumley's stats at Reading weren't much better than Bazunu's, if they were, from what I can remember. Fortunately, we've only had to see the Watford FA Cup howler from him and that wasn't too costly. Feel more confident with McCarthy in the sticks, we know his drawbacks and deficiencies, while I don't think we've seen enough of Lumley to get the full experience, but I remember that lowlights video of him when he signed.

Now, knowing our luck with McCarthy, he'll have a good end to the season and we'll offer him a new contract and a wage increase.

If he saves some of those balls flying into our net, or even makes the save to get us to the promised land, then he will perhaps deserve that new contract. I still think signing a proven keeper is why we are not already in the top 2. Someone like Fraser Forster that used to get so much stick on here, was great at organising his defence. It is not just the saves you make, but sorting out and communicating with that shambles in front of you. That back 4 of ours should be solid at Championship level, and I put this down to the keeper for the season so far. 

21 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Hopefully this means we are more direct with our play out from the back - certainly looked so last night 

I mean if I was a defender I certainly wouldn’t want to play it back to McCarthy. 😂

If it means we play forward passes and run at the opposition then I’m all for keeping him between the sticks.

• Like 2

Ive seen McCarthy make some match winning saves, so much so he was player of the season one time.

I cant recall which game it was now as was a few seasons back but we were winning in a season where we were struggling against relegation when he made an incredible save a pushed the ball over the bar.

I understand that he is poor with his feet but call me old fashioned but I like a keeper to save the ball.

He IMO was harshly treated by the football academics on here, but I suggest most of his critics could not save anything in a Post Office account let alone on a football pitch.

Time will tell but I feel Macca is an upgrade on saving the ball, obviously not at passing it out.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ive seen McCarthy make some match winning saves, so much so he was player of the season one time.

I cant recall which game it was now as was a few seasons back but we were winning in a season where we were struggling against relegation when he made an incredible save a pushed the ball over the bar.

I understand that he is poor with his feet but call me old fashioned but I like a keeper to save the ball.

He IMO was harshly treated by the football academics on here, but I suggest most of his critics could not save anything in a Post Office account let alone on a football pitch.

Time will tell but I feel Macca is an upgrade on saving the ball, obviously not at passing it out.

And there’s the problem. We can only base our opinions on more recent performances.

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And there’s the problem. We can only base our opinions on more recent performances.

There haven't really been any recent performances to speak of. Besides, this is a step below where he was. Plenty of players look a fair bit better when they take a step down (look at Vestergaard and Hoedt for example.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Bournemouth at home in the Pelegrino/Hughes season. He was outstanding that day.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Find it quite amusing that there are people actually celebrating the fact McCarthy is back playing in goal. 

Even though we've got the 3 worst goalkeepers in the Championship, we keep hoping that one of the other two isn't quite as bad as the one currently playing but it's probably just wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Even though we've got the 3 worst goalkeepers in the Championship, we keep hoping that one of the other two isn't quite as bad as the one currently playing but it's probably just wishful thinking.

We don’t though, people are just being overly dramatic. Keepers let in goals against us all the time that people would be howling about if Baz conceded them. Even last night, people would have been furious that Baz was caught with his pants down off his line twice and didn’t even attempt to dive for the third goal (which was hit from further out than any of the Ipswich goals or Watford’s equaliser). Then there was Stu’s shot which hit the inside of the post - useless Baz beaten low to his left again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Big blow…I was hoping we’d sell him at the end of the season. Now I doubt we can. After all what sort of club buys someone who’s injured. 🤔 

Great work, stick the knife into one of our players and our club at the same time - if only you'd do this more regularly, what a time to be alive that would be.

• Haha 2

My biggest criticism with McCarthy has always been that quite often when he does make a save, he parries it straight back into the path of someone for a tap in. 

Hopefully that’s not going to be the case for the run-in. 

It’s never nice to rejoice in a player  getting injured .... But this might actually be just what we need .. 

we have been having to defend with any decent shot on tarrget resulting in a goal I can’t see how former player of the season McCarthy can be worse tbf .

this injury could be the difference between  going up or not so whilst I feel for bazunu it’s a change that needed to happen 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Huffton said:

Its so great that so many posters are at training every day without fail so they can see how bad McCarthy is, I mean who would trust the professional opinion our coaching team and manager?🙄

Who could trust managers picking  elyounoussi countless times last season even though every man and their dogs knew he was shit.. managers can get it wrong too 

majority on here have been moaning how piss poor bazunu is .. 

I don’t wish injury on him but him being out of the team will be good for our promotion hopes 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We don’t though, people are just being overly dramatic. Keepers let in goals against us all the time that people would be howling about if Baz conceded them. 

Could not agree more. When we score a goal how many Saints fans look at it from a defensive point of view and question the keepers position, speed off their line or ability to get down to save etc. None. We all look at the parts played by our own players in the goal being scored. Watch the other championship keepers closely and most are equally terrible/good. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Great work, stick the knife into one of our players and our club at the same time - if only you'd do this more regularly, what a time to be alive that would be.

Great work.  Total loss of sense of humour.  What a fun time to be alive for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedArmy said:

My biggest criticism with McCarthy has always been that quite often when he does make a save, he parries it straight back into the path of someone for a tap in. 

That’s not something you can accuse Baz of doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Could not agree more. When we score a goal how many Saints fans look at it from a defensive point of view and question the keepers position, speed off their line or ability to get down to save etc. None. We all look at the parts played by our own players in the goal being scored. Watch the other championship keepers closely and most are equally terrible/good. 

How do you explain Bazunus keeping stats being so terrible compared to everyone else then?

• Like 6

The issue with Bazunu extends beyond the occasional obvious howler, which is expected from an average keeper from time to time. It's his consistent underperformance over two seasons. Despite this, fans perceive his performance as adequate, when in reality, it's quite poor. The statistics back this up - last season, he was the worst shot stopper in the league, setting a record for worst -xG EVER recorded by a keeper.

This season mirrors the last, indicating no improvement. Why not consider playing an outfielder in goal instead?

I wish Baz a speedy recover but I count this as a blessing in disguise, despite our poor back-up options.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

How do you explain Bazunus keeping stats being so terrible compared to everyone else then?

No, one stat, his saves as a percentage of shots on target. I explain that the exact same way as I’d explain Papis Cissé being better than Messi when the reverse stat was analysed a few years ago. If you want to cling to that, you’re going to have to agree that Angus Gunn, who I know we all love on here, is better than the Rotherham keeper everyone has been raving about.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

19 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Baz scores the late leveller at Preston and a snipper takes him out from the away end at SMS last night. 

Really 🤯 That's a hell of a weird time to get that done. To be fair to Baz I could walk without crutches after my vasectomy but no way would I have been playing a match 30 minutes later.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu