Saints Play - A New Rip-off?

Bakovnetski

Hey forum, do you read this email just dropped into out Inboxes the same as me?

It will now costs £45 for the audio in the UK just to listen online. This has been free to date, no?

Also £170 for video internationally and not available UK......

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/sign-up-to-our-saints-play-streaming-service

Edited by Bakovnetski
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Comparing it to £12.00 for a NOWTV 24h pass for the first match https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/sports/collections/top-events

Apparently if you get a one day pass currently you get 12 months mobile sky sports access included gratis, so definitely an option worth considering if you're ok with watching most sport on your phone 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-day-sky-sports-membership-12-months-mobile-one-for-ps1198-4177063

• Like 3

American here. Why can't they spell these things out in plain English?

the international £170 "deal".. does that mean you have access to a live stream of all matches that skysports/espn+ is not broadcasting?

I know us Americans have been spoiled, but the last decade, we could access to all PL matches for about £72 a year.

edit.... i guess this answers my question... from the FAQs...

Q: How many matches does an international seasonal pass give access to and why do the rules on showing matches vary in different territories?

A: It depends on the EFL games selected for broadcast in your territory. Any matches selected for TV broadcast in your territory will be unavailable to view through Saints Play.

Edited by SaintTex

8 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

the international £170 "deal".. does that mean you have access to a live stream of all matches that skysports/espn+ is not broadcasting?

That’s exactly how I read it.

Looks limited to video in web browser via pc/mobile/tablet, which seems a little low tech for 2023.

9 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Saints do not set the pricing and rules for this.

Its all governed by the league and TV deals I believe.

Yep, this is dictated centrally from the EFL and applies to all of its 72 member clubs.

30 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

I know us Americans have been spoiled, but the last decade, we could access to all PL matches for about £72 a year.

edit.... i guess this answers my question... from the FAQs...

Q: How many matches does an international seasonal pass give access to and why do the rules on showing matches vary in different territories?

A: It depends on the EFL games selected for broadcast in your territory. Any matches selected for TV broadcast in your territory will be unavailable to view through Saints Play.

I posted this on the iFollow topic but it's better here:

So, as best as I can tell, the main option for fans in Canada is obviously DAZN. However, that $199.99 package will not include home games with a 3:00 pm kick off. Those would be available through the just-launched SaintsPlay for £10 per game.

I'm not sure if it will be the same for fans in the U.S. and other countries.

Does anyone have any further insight?

Addendum: Yes, the games covered by DAZN (and likely ESPN+ in the States) will be EXCLUDED from the SaintsPlay fixtures due to the international deal. So your best bet is likely to be ESPN+ and SaintsPlay for the games it doesn't cover. Watching the Championship is going to be quite a bit more expensive than watching the PL was.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I posted this on the iFollow topic but it's better here:

So, as best as I can tell, the main option for fans in Canada is obviously DAZN. However, that $199.99 package will not include home games with a 3:00 pm kick off. Those would be available through the just-launched SaintsPlay for £10 per game.

I'm not sure if it will be the same for fans in the U.S. and other countries.

Does anyone have any further insight?

Addendum: Yes, the games covered by DAZN (and likely ESPN+ in the States) will be EXCLUDED from the SaintsPlay fixtures due to the international deal. So your best bet is likely to be ESPN+ and SaintsPlay for the games it doesn't cover. Watching the Championship is going to be quite a bit more expensive than watching the PL was.

yep.. almost 4 times as much.

PL£72 (peacock) 

Championship - £78 (espn+) & £170 (SaintsPlay) = £248

• Sad 2

Just now, SaintTex said:

yep.. almost 4 times as much.

PL£72 (peacock) 

Championship - £78 (espn+) & £170 (SaintsPlay) = £248

Yes, if you subscribe to both. But I'm going with DAZN (ESPN+) for $199.99 CDN, which should cover a good 60-70% of our games. I'll pay £10 for Saints Play for each game it doesn't cover (but I'm definitely not watching an illegal stream for those games because that would be illegal 😎). The SaintsPlay £170 is a really bad deal for us overseas folks (where an international deal exists) because so many games are excluded.

• Like 1

Anyone stupid enough to sign up to this deserves to be ripped off. £45 to basically listen to the radio ffs. 

The good news is that the fact ganes are being shown internationally,  if you can get yourself a chipped firestick with IPTV on it, and it'l cost you £60 a year with hundreds of other channels (Sky, BT, all PL games etc.) included... Thank you Southampton! 

Any idea why they haven't signed up to use iFollow, like every other single club have it seems?

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Anyone stupid enough to sign up to this deserves to be ripped off. £45 to basically listen to the radio ffs. 

The good news is that the fact ganes are being shown internationally,  if you can get yourself a chipped firestick with IPTV on it, and it'l cost you £60 a year with hundreds of other channels (Sky, BT, all PL games etc.) included... Thank you Southampton! 

Any idea why they haven't signed up to use iFollow, like every other single club have it seems?

I think they are (and always have been) a few clubs that provide their own service.

20 minutes ago, Dman said:

Where can you get such devices ? (Asking for a friend)

Isn't this just a club branded version of the 'ifollow' service, which is offered by the EFL?

The midweek games are all broadcast on the red button via Sky Sports, so if people already pay for Sky Sports don't be duped into also paying for this - it's not needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Apparently if you get a one day pass currently you get 12 months mobile sky sports access included gratis, so definitely an option worth considering if you're ok with watching most sport on your phone 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-day-sky-sports-membership-12-months-mobile-one-for-ps1198-4177063

You don't get Sky Sports Football as one of the free mobile channels so useless if you want to watch us in the Championship.

• Like 1

I reckon they'll be about 30 games out of the 46 that ain't on ESPN+ so it works out about $7 a game for USA based fans. Would have bitten your arm off for that a few years back. Seems expensive now because we've been spoiled with the cheap Prem TV coverage of recent years.

Will give it a go. Would rather pay a bit extra to watch Saints than some Prem game that I don't really care about.

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

£10 a game for UK. Also can’t you just listen to Radio Solent for free? 

Actually, thats the point....outside of the Solent region you cant listen to the match for free, only through the old SaintsPlayer on the website.

No doubt there are merits in the TV deal but its the radio issue that pissed me off.

• Like 2

https://www.efl.com/how-to-watch/broadcast-partners/ - this is the list of overseas broadcast partners, so shows a list of countries who DO have deals with the EFL. This means that any game that is televised by Sky in the UK can also be televised by any of these broadcasters, PLUS one of the Saturday 3pm games. So it's quite likely that unless you were in a country that doesn't have a broadcast deal with the EFL, there's a lot of games that won't be available on Saints Play.

5 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

30o plus bucks for australia and I won’t even get all the games plus it doesn’t seem like they will play replays (not sure about this though) so I’ll have to get up and God awful hours. No thanks.

$130/yr for BeIN Sports, which I believe has on-demand viewing for seven days after the match. That's what I'm using in NZ anyway.

It's an arms race.

On the one hand, the 3pm blackout is increasingly seen as archaic and unnecessary. (Plus the acknowledgement that those that watch football on telly at home are (mostly) not doing that instead of buying tickets to the match.) It won't be too long before a proper service is available to all fans.

Then there's Sky etc using increasingly sophisticated tools and legal means to block streamers both at source and through ISPs. (Often negating VPNs etc).

Eg: https://www.ft.com/content/ed022ce0-521a-465f-86b8-b7ea2c403407

I would caution against spending any more on illegal alternatives (eg IPTV) just yet. Although it won't be sorted for a season or two, of course....

So maybe £60 for an IPTV box/an afternoon faffing about with KODI is worth the risk/time. 

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You don't get Sky Sports Football as one of the free mobile channels so useless if you want to watch us in the Championship.

It's good for me as I follow Super League rugby which is on Sky Arena, I'll just watch saints games via an "alternative source"..... 

5 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

$130/yr for BeIN Sports, which I believe has on-demand viewing for seven days after the match. That's what I'm using in NZ anyway.

Yeah looks the way I’m going. I’ve been trying to find this out though, do you get every game? Talked to a guy on Facebook and he said aus would only get about 15 saints games and a kiwi on reddit said NZ gets every game but I can’t find anything out for sure.

wondering if it’s worth getting a VPN so I can become an honorary kiwi.

42 minutes ago, Brissysaint said:

Yeah looks the way I’m going. I’ve been trying to find this out though, do you get every game? Talked to a guy on Facebook and he said aus would only get about 15 saints games and a kiwi on reddit said NZ gets every game but I can’t find anything out for sure.

Be IN Sports show 5 games live each round in Oz.    As long as Saints keep up near the top 6 or so there will be plenty of games to watch - but definitely not every game!

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Isn't this just a club branded version of the 'ifollow' service, which is offered by the EFL?

The midweek games are all broadcast on the red button via Sky Sports, so if people already pay for Sky Sports don't be duped into also paying for this - it's not needed.

I’m thinking of signing up to Sky Sports for this reason. Now TV are offering a 12 month subscription to all 11 Sky Sports channels for £26/month which seems fairly reasonable (cancel any time too).

Does anyone know if the Red Button games are accessible if I subscribe via Now TV?

Do we know many Saints matches are likely to be on Sky Sports Football and how many via the Red Button?

Thanks!

£10 per game on iplayer is the norm for both home and away. The gas do the same, but you could buy a season ticket for iplayer last season. 

Maybe that’s something to do with the 170 quid, not sure. 

Commentary by the teams commentators that are at the ground for the local radio station as a rule. 

I'm confused a bit. Living in Nottingham, I can't get Radio Solent commentary through Internet/Digital Radio. Last few seasons I've been able to listen through the website anywhere in the world. Am I no longer able to do this? Would free up a lot of my time for more useful activities.

33 minutes ago, 23rdSaint said:

I would probably pay £45 for the ability to listen to Solent commentary via the website (even though I could listen on FM radio) but, my god, Jo Tessem is utterly woeful. 

Is it still on the radio as well as the website? What incentive is there to pay for the website ?

Paying £45 to listen to commentary which I already pay a licence fee for...no thank you. Will be back to just listening out for the score now and hoping to get to the odd match. Disappointed as I enjoyed listening to commentary previously. 😟

Edited by CylonKing
Yep, no way for me to listen to any commentary without forking out more money, disappointed!

19 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

It looks like there are BeIN Sports channels on Foxtel, which are different from the "BeIN Connect" streaming service. The streaming service looks like it has all games, live and on demand. Though I could be wrong.

https://connect-au.beinsports.com/en/

Edited by chiknsmack
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 23rdSaint said:

I would probably pay £45 for the ability to listen to Solent commentary via the website (even though I could listen on FM radio) but, my god, Jo Tessem is utterly woeful. 

I was hoping Andrew Surman was going to take over Dave Merrington as he was brilliant when he stepped in couple seasons ago. Really hope he isn't on Solent for years to come.

Caught a bit of post match last night and had to switch over when he said Che Adams and Adam Armstrong are very similar players..

• Like 2