Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Adkins was probably the happiest Saints fans have been since Strachan, maybe even Lawrie. All he asked for was hard work, solid defending and getting the ball forward quickly using wingers and potent finishers.

Absolutely. It's that fucking simple. 

RM is a pretentious toss pot. Like those fucking chefs trying to cook a streak with strawberries and serving it on a house brick. Fucking shit, not clever, not tasty, just fucking grill the thing, season it and be done with it. 

Results are what matters, not a pat on the head for being super duper clever.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 14
  • Haha 8

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread
2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

RM is a pretentious toss pot. Like those fucking chefs trying to cook a streak with strawberries and serving it on a house brick. Fucking shit, not clever, not tasty, just fucking grill the thing, season it and be done with it. 

Love it 😀 

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Adkins had a decent squad who did well in Leauge 1 and evolved into a proper team Russell does not

Today we have kids at CB a mediocre LB and no Rickie Lambert to score goals 

We also had Lallana Guly Cork Hammond and Schederlien

Cannot see many of today's team improving Adkins team

• Like 4

Not at all surprised to see last nights result. Under RM we will NOT be successful. It is just a shame that SR will not do anything about it until at least Christmas sort of time. It is clear to anyone that he is not going to succeed. Not knee jerk at all, I said it from day one. I predicted 9th placed finish. We will get many many pastings this season under his leadership. Time to pull the trigger if you know what you are doing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Yeah I’ve been very vocal in defending him but this is absolutely horrendous delusion. 

It’s like he’s watching a different game. We were completely shit. Schooled by Leicester and credit to them. 

Tonight was as bad as it gets really 

So are we still wet wipes? Are you team wet wipe? Are you finished insulting those with different options?

Its so hard to keep up with your inconsistency 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin.....post match

• Everyones responsibility tonight
  • we made it difficult, 3rd goal was the killer
  • we were on top in the 2nd half, they were clinical, we were not
  • people will talk about the score, but if we were more clinical, it would be different
  • we cannot concede 2 early goals
  • we went toe to toe, and you have to accept they will get through us at times
  • I am proud of the players, as this is different to Sunderland, they did what we asked them
  • Leicester lost the ball more than we did, but no one will criticise their manager
  • we will continue to work on what we do
  • if anyone expects to not experience pain now, they are naive
  • This was much better than sunderland, and not a huge amount in it tonight
  • the first goal was ridiculous, 2nd goal we know why as players were out of position, 3rd goal was about poor transition
  • we will make more mistakes and we will see more bumps in the road
  • how people react is up to them
  • If we play like we did tonight, move the ball like that, we will be more than OK
  • All will want a reaction on Tuesday. If we play like we did tonight, sure it will come
  • James Justin said it was not a red card, I do not believe it was a red card, we will see.

Thanks for the summary amigo

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Still.. Nice to see Edozie showing some end product and hitting the target. Hopefully he can start scoring 4-5 a  game to compensate. 

Defensively he was crap. Did not track his runner for the third goal and did not provide any cover for KWP. Hence why he was taken off at HT.

Seems like he knows we have to work

"The gameplan with the ball in their half, I thought we were outstanding. We pressed and stole the ball, and they’re a top team at this level so had a couple of moments.

"However, when the ball is in our half, the reaction to transition to defend from playing is not quite there and we have to work on that."

• Haha 1

The rest of the division will be delighted that RM seems to be sticking to his one dimensional gameplan and no doubt be looking forward to playing a couple of quick attackers against Saints powderpuff defensive lines. Either that or RM will have to come up with some different ideas.

We must be the easiest team to play against in the whole football league. It’s so fucking simple to score against us and Martin comes out with that utter shite afterwards. That post match interview is right up there with NJ in terms of complete delusion. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, obelisk said:

The rest of the division will be delighted that RM seems to be sticking to his one dimensional gameplan and no doubt be looking forward to playing a couple of quick attackers against Saints powderpuff defensive lines. Either that or RM will have to come up with some different ideas.

Ipswich are set up for quick counter attacks so they'll be very much looking forward to Tuesday, we're the perfect team for them. 

Martin is so tactically inept sending out a team with no balance, midfield is weak and exposed, defence out of position all the time. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We must be the easiest team to play against in the whole football league. It’s so fucking simple to score against us and Martin comes out with that utter shite afterwards. That post match interview is right up there with NJ in terms of complete delusion. 

Yup. He reckons "we made it difficult". He must have been watching a totally different game from me because from what I saw, we basically just invited Leicester to attack us time and time again due to an incredibly naïve defensive shape.

If he genuinely thinks we made it difficult for them then that's ringing some serious alarm bells.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

We honestly thought KWP wasn't up for it. Just looked pissed to be there most of the time. 

KwP is a good player. He is being asked to play a hybrid fullback/Central midfielder, when he is good proper attacking full back

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Strawberries and Steak is lush, agree about the brick though; should always be on a white, round china plate

Get rid of it as soon as you receive it must be the new saints Moto, Smallbone being the master at it. No cutting pass, no ability to get passed a player and no guts to try and carve an opening.

A and S Armstrong just running headlong into walls of players and Adams being his usual selfish self.

The defence pitifully running about as if a flashbang had just gone off in their faces. If I wasn't so angry I would be pissing myself with laughter watching that total shambles.

It looks like SR have pulled another blinder thinking this guy has the credentials to put us back in the prem. It was obvious before he joined and it's is blindingly obvious now.

2 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Get rid of it as soon as you receive it must be the new saints Moto, Smallbone being the master at it. No cutting pass, no ability to get passed a player and no guts to try and carve an opening.

There was an occasion in the second half when he came and showed for the ball and was in plenty of space but he just pinged it straight back to the full back. A proper midfielder should have known how much time and room he had and turned with the ball to move upfield.

This must be a result of constant training in this way of playing. Is it simply to increase the statistics of possession and number of passes?

Those mentioning Cork, Hammond and Schneiderlin. Three proper central midfielders at this level with presence and impact.

Compare that to last night. A myopic Smallbone, weak as piss and as sharp as a cushion. Downes shuffling possession with no real purpose. Both providing no presence or cover for the centre of our team. Charles only one with promise as it stands, being played out of position...

A shame. A real shame.

• Like 3

lots of negativity this morning 

feel like we should give it more time as it’s only 16 goals in 6 games and if you include gillingham it’s 19 in 7.

it’s all a bit comical really as we don’t look like a serious team.

and where is manji ? i despise people like him who hide after a defeat 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin.....post match

• Everyones responsibility tonight
  • we made it difficult, 3rd goal was the killer
  • we were on top in the 2nd half, they were clinical, we were not
  • people will talk about the score, but if we were more clinical, it would be different
  • we cannot concede 2 early goals
  • we went toe to toe, and you have to accept they will get through us at times
  • I am proud of the players, as this is different to Sunderland, they did what we asked them
  • Leicester lost the ball more than we did, but no one will criticise their manager
  • we will continue to work on what we do
  • if anyone expects to not experience pain now, they are naive
  • This was much better than sunderland, and not a huge amount in it tonight
  • the first goal was ridiculous, 2nd goal we know why as players were out of position, 3rd goal was about poor transition
  • we will make more mistakes and we will see more bumps in the road
  • how people react is up to them
  • If we play like we did tonight, move the ball like that, we will be more than OK
  • All will want a reaction on Tuesday. If we play like we did tonight, sure it will come
  • James Justin said it was not a red card, I do not believe it was a red card, we will see.

They did what we asked😱😱😱.....

And there is the underlying problem.

• Like 1

Slept on it. Still angry and quite frankly gob-smacked at how bad that was. 
You see the team sheets and see they are playing a front 3 with wide forwards as they know about our insane concept of full backs so you hope we set up correctly. We don’t.

I understand the decision of Shea in defence after Holgates debut, so assume it’s Smallbone and Downes and a front 4. To start with it isn’t, it’s the same 235. I’m not a professional coach but can see the issue of 2 centre backs v 3 forwards. Especially when 2 are wide. And the midfield balance is still wrong with only one holding.

Turns out our coaches quickly spot it too (not quick enough - I saw it on their team sheet an hour before kick off) and decide we need to have cover out wide. But rather than revert to a back 4 and balance the midfield by dropping Smallbone back we come up with some insane tactic of 325 leaving one centre back against Vardy (a kid v one of the best for the last 10 years), and spend the rest of the half changing between having Shea and KWP at right back/ midfield.

We actually increased the bodies in midfield by taking out a centre back, not dropping back one of our 5 forwards. Ok then.

And by doing so we went man for man on 3 defenders. Of course, our midfield don’t track runners so our wide defenders are caught between marking the wingers and tracking Leicesters midfield runners which leaves them exposed, confused, and with huge gaping holes either side our one centre back who is a kid making his debut. Trying to look after Vardy. Tough gig.

Martin has said how at times our attacking play was good. With 5 forwards I suppose we should have some moments. Of course, when you do occasionally lose the ball you have no cover and are immediately at risk. Might explain why Leicester didn’t even have to break sweat and got 8 or 9 glorious opportunities to annihilate us. Martin reckons Leicester were more clinical. They weren’t. Their finishing was poor and Gavin played very well. That’s right, our keeper had a good game keeping it down to 4.

This isn’t clever or brave football, it’s mental, suicidal, arrogant, childish and inept.

Ever heard of game management? Goals within seconds of kicking off (second game running) Goals a minute from half-time when it’s 2-1 and we’re somehow still in a game we’ve been awful in. Goals from our own corner because our deepest player is on the edge of their penalty area and isn’t quick enough to cover the 80 yard gap behind him (second game running).

I like possession football, I like being brave and I like getting youngsters to be positive. But this is real man’s football in a very tough league. There are times when you just do the pragmatic thing (first few mins, after you score, closing out a half). And you always set up to have a man spare to cover for a mistake. Yes it’s a miss-placed pass that shouldn’t ideally happen but it always has and always will happen in a game. It shouldn’t always lead to a f*cking goal.

8 conceded in one and a half games!!!!

Most concerning of course is the manager’s reaction which indicates to me that he’s not going to grasp this at all. As well as breaking all sorts of records for goals conceded he also needs to realise that he’s got a squad full of kids and his kamikaze tactics could ruin a few careers before they’ve started. Shea, Gavin, THB, Downes, Edozie … none of them will develop and improve on the back of experiences like last night.

He speaks well and seems nice - I want him and this style of football to succeed and I desperately want saints to succeed. But at the moment it’s like watching someone trying to father a child by getting all the sex toys out. If that’s your idea of fun, Russell, that’s up to you - but conception just needs the shag so can you just get on with it.

He needs to learn pretty quick. Yes he might have needed Shea in defence but can we please make sure we have a 6th defensive body v Ipswich and just four forwards, as virtually all other teams do, allowing us solidity in midfield and sufficient cover at the back. With the quality we have in wide areas and with Stu and Charlie we don’t actually need a 5th body up there, we have enough. Continue as we are, however, conceding a goal scoring opportunity every time we lose the ball, then he will need to be shot of pretty quickly. His tactics are suicidal for this division and if they stay, should be suicidal for his saints career.

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 16
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Seems like he knows we have to work

"The gameplan with the ball in their half, I thought we were outstanding. We pressed and stole the ball, and they’re a top team at this level so had a couple of moments.

"However, when the ball is in our half, the reaction to transition to defend from playing is not quite there and we have to work on that."

“The transition to defend from playing is not quite there”

We flood the entire team forward like an under-9s team with literally all ten outfield players way into their half. We leave our entire half as a vast empty space and then get surprised when they hit a basic through ball to two quick players who have been told just to stand there and wait for it. We ask Championship level players to play suicide passes in our own six yard box when we’re being pressed by a team who know that’s exactly what we’re going to do. We concede directly from our own fucking kick-off, and regularly from our own corners over the course of several games. Not once does he change it in-game. 

That’s not “not quite there”, that’s rank incompetence.

I liked him when he came in and am not an advocate for knee-jerk reactions, but from watching us so far, set up the way we are, I’ve rapidly come to the conclusion he’s actually a fucking idiot. 

It’s ages since I’ve been this angry about Saints, and that includes throughout all the shit we’ve all had served up over the last few years. I’ve reached the end of my tether with this procession of clowns. Why can’t we just get a manager who does the basics properly. The Championship is full of them. Any one of them would have a great chance of promotion with the resources we’ve got. 

But no. No, we get this stupid, preening twat, who has never delivered any real success anywhere, ever, playing his stupid, ten-up-front cubs football, getting smashed and telling us it was alright actually because that’s what he wanted them to do.

Fuck off. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 20

When they were taking goal kicks it was funny looking at the set up because our midfielders and full backs pushed forward to close down their players and there was no one from either team whatsoever in the middle of the pitch for about 60 yards. 

It looked like the last 10 minutes of an evening kick around up the sports centre between a load of 35-45 year olds who were all blowing out their arses and thinking about their post match pint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

They did what we asked😱😱😱.....

And there is the underlying problem.

It sounds like he thinks we are a team that has come up from league 1 and will find it difficult against the big clubs. 

Unfortunately we are the big club who's come down from the Premier league and to be soundly beaten like that in the last 2 weeks has no excuses.

How he can defend the players after that is beyond me. I imagine sport Republic will already be having 2nd thoughts on employing him. Another mistake?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

When they were taking goal kicks it was funny looking at the set up because our midfielders and full backs pushed forward to close down their players and there was no one from either team whatsoever in the middle of the pitch for about 60 yards. 

It looked like the last 10 minutes of an evening kick around up the sports centre between a load of 35-45 year olds who were all blowing out their arses and thinking about their post match pint.

All their keeper had to do from goal kicks was ping it into Vardy along the floor. They were then 3 on 3!

I saw nothing last night that gave me any confidence that this will improve. RM should go now, he doesn't know what he is doing.

However the deeper issue is the fact that SR have had 3 goes at appointing a manager and have failed 3 times. It's their no 1 task and they have consistently got it wrong. At least Gao got it right with Ralph. SR should fire whoever appoints the manager.

I was excited for this season, thought it was a brilliant opportunity to regroup and get our mojo back but it's looking like a re-run of the dark days of last season.

Made Leicester look like Man City through our own tactical incompetence. Men v boys 

• Like 3

Nearly twelve hours on I think it’s time to rate this shower of shit performance for a laugh:

Bazunu 8 - MOTM - kept the score down significantly. Excellent passing and good saves. Probably could’ve done better with the third but the fact the defence and midfield seemed to play in the oppositions six yard box he isn’t to be blamed.

KWP 3 - crap.

Charles 4 - clearly not a defender. Dithered every time he had the ball and drifted so far to the right he could’ve been mistaken for a Tory.

THB 4 - didn’t really notice him.

Manning 2 - out of position on every occasion. Poor crossing too on a number of occasions.

Downes 2 - weak, the wind could’ve blown him over. Eventually it did and he’ll probably be out for a few weeks now.

Smallbone 3 - non existent.

A. Armstrong 5 - clearly not a midfielder but credit to him he kept running to the end and closed everyone down. Not sure he is loud or vocal enough to be a captain.

Edozie 5 - purely for the goal.

Adams 4 - good set up for the goal but little else.

Fraser 5 - thought he started really brightly, as the game went on though he wasn’t the same.

Russell Martin 1 - tactically out classed. Who’d have thought putting nine or ten players in the opposition half and the opposition leaving two paces forwards up on the half way line would have a detrimental effect.
I thought the game was crying out for Stu Armstrong. Charles to be moved up from CB to midfield. Even Sulemana when he came on was too far wide, we need to play narrower, that then allows for full backs to overlap where possible. Instead we had wide placed wingers running within feet of wingbacks leaving the centre exposed for counter attacks.

Some of the scores above I think are generous.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

lots of negativity this morning 

feel like we should give it more time as it’s only 16 goals in 6 games and if you include gillingham it’s 19 in 7.

it’s all a bit comical really as we don’t look like a serious team.

and where is manji ? i despise people like him who hide after a defeat 

Just got up.Still getting over the game. I started on a Krokodil / Crack mixer at half time.Then some Tramadol to help me sleep.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

I was able to watch the game yesterday evening, Bein  show one or two Championship games a week, those which are supposed to be the highlight games.

As I've not really followed our summer transfer window I asked myself, do we actually have any experienced central defenders now? I know Bednarek is injured but what happened to Stephens ?  Taking all these starlets from City just helps them out, us not so much.  I mean Taylor Harwood-Bellis , what's that about then, he was utterly useless.   Then later in the game we started taking off defensive players like Downes (who I know absolutely nothing about by the way) and replacing them with out and out forward players.  We already had too many offensive players on the pitch to start with so that really wasn't an option.

Sully ? Same as at Rennes, all huff and no end product. They bought Blas and Le Fee with the transfer fee, far better players.

Why did we make Adam Armstrong captain then, he's a bit part no-hoper at the best of time, but perhaps he was just filling in yesterday.

Can't really say much about Martin, know nothing about him, but the set up last night was obviously wrong.

Edited by Window Cleaner

2 hours ago, Delmary said:

Defensively he was crap. Did not track his runner for the third goal and did not provide any cover for KWP. Hence why he was taken off at HT.

That is not fair imo. KWP is the experienced player and in the last 9 goals he hasn't been seen. Wingers were rarely any good at defending as they are lightweight

• Like 1

Just now, OldNick said:

That is not fair imo. KWP is the experienced player and in the last 9 goals he hasn't been seen. Wingers were rarely any good at defending as they are lightweight

KWP was absolutely inept last night tbf. Skinned so many times.

For a player supposedly below his level, he looked out of his depth at times. He needs to sort his shit out or we stick Bree in there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

KWP was absolutely inept last night tbf. Skinned so many times.

For a player supposedly below his level, he looked out of his depth at times. He needs to sort his shit out or we stick Bree in there.

He needs to not be asked to play CM from the fullback position....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

“The transition to defend from playing is not quite there”

We flood the entire team forward like an under-9s team with literally all ten outfield players way into their half. We leave our entire half as a vast empty space and then get surprised when they hit a basic through ball to two quick players who have been told just to stand there and wait for it. We ask Championship level players to play suicide passes in our own six yard box when we’re being pressed by a team who know that’s exactly what we’re going to do. We concede directly from our own fucking kick-off, and regularly from our own corners over the course of several games. Not once does he change it in-game. 

That’s not “not quite there”, that’s rank incompetence.

I liked him when he came in and am not an advocate for knee-jerk reactions, but from watching us so far, set up the way we are, I’ve rapidly come to the conclusion he’s actually a fucking idiot. 

It’s ages since I’ve been this angry about Saints, and that includes throughout all the shit we’ve all had served up over the last few years. I’ve reached the end of my tether with this procession of clowns. Why can’t we just get a manager who does the basics properly. The Championship is full of them. Any one of them would have a great chance of promotion with the resources we’ve got. 

But no. No, we get this stupid, preening twat, who has never delivered any real success anywhere, ever, playing his stupid, ten-up-front cubs football, getting smashed and telling us it was alright actually because that’s what he wanted them to do.

Fuck off. 

If Carlsberg did football managers they wouldn't come up with the twats SR choose

KWP was totally nullified by Mavididi (who at £7m looks a great signing - what I’d hope Sulimana would be) - couldn’t really go fwd because of his threat so they essentially took our best player out of the game (as did Sunderland).

Ndidi, Winks and Dewsbury-Hall looked a league above our midfielders - playing quick incisive forward passes.

on Martins ludicrous post match comments. I’m assuming he made those so the players don’t totally abandon his style and keep trying possession football. That’s fair enough but what was missing was any kind of acknowledgement of incorrect player selection / poor tactics and frankly players who looked like they wanted it less.