January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Right now it's hard to say a player we'd drop for a new arrival. There's genuine competition across the pitch apart from GK and FB. I don't see us buying anyone unless we sell someone key or there's an injury.

If we can getting better putting games to bed early we can also give more of our kids experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

David Brooke’s is 100% an RM player. But crikey it looks curtains for one of Charlie, Stu, Amo, Ryan , KS, as he is a right sided midfield /forward/winger type.
Which of the current squad get shifted out of the team for him then? 

Might we play Arma centrally freeing up that RW spot? He has looked more influential as a wide striker though.

4 minutes ago, coalman said:

Right now it's hard to say a player we'd drop for a new arrival. There's genuine competition across the pitch apart from GK and FB. I don't see us buying anyone unless we sell someone key or there's an injury.

If we can getting better putting games to bed early we can also give more of our kids experience. 

I agree with this

I think the risk of upsetting the excellent squad dynamic is huge. 

We’d want to be confident of our youth fall back options in defence - how close is Larios & CBs?

I’d be gutted if KWP left. I don’t think he will. 

Can see us getting a central striker, as Arma will still play, Che may be off, LND is long term injured, so the team might see it as a reasonable move. Plus Mara may go out on loan - but then he might also kick on in the next few games…

• Like 2

Little side bar on the topic of Ryan Fraser possibly being a permanent either jan or in summer: his Newcastle wages were c £42k pw ( source google) and he is out of contract in summer 24. And will be 30.5 years old.

Carries on way he’s been playing we’d be mad not to take him on a free. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I agree with this

I think the risk of upsetting the excellent squad dynamic is huge. 

Good point. We certainly want to avoid a Dani Osvaldo type signing or any Billy Big Bollocks. I suspect that might be a greater risk bringing in a loan from the Prem who thinks he’s above our level and acts in that fashion.

An up and coming striker who meets the same work ethic as the rest though should be fine. 

Despite the risk, we’ve been crying out for a forward for two years now. That should be priority. 

• Like 3

David Brooks would be a quality signing and a out and out RW we need. 

Left footed, and I'd argue the most accomplished winger we'd have if he were to come in.

We currently don't have any and we lack balance.

This would allow Che to be sold, we'd fhen have Arma/Mara and Alcaraz fo play centrally.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/alex_crook/status/1740671731252277411?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

TalkSport (Alex Crook) saying Saints and Leeds are interested in loaning David Brooks from Bournemouth.

I'd alway understood that Brooks was the benchmark for sliced bread so how come the Cherries are prepared to let him go anywhere at all?

Maybe too many injuries have made them re-assess his worth? If so why would we want to get involved? We shouldn't, end of.

The rehab team has enough on its hands trying to sort out the Stewart mess

21 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I'd alway understood that Brooks was the benchmark for sliced bread so how come the Cherries are prepared to let him go anywhere at all?

Maybe too many injuries have made them re-assess his worth? If so why would we want to get involved? We shouldn't, end of.

The rehab team has enough on its hands trying to sort out the Stewart mess

I think he was out long term with his cancer issue, followed by hamstring and fitness. Likely due to the lack of playing time during his treatment:

IMG_2264.thumb.jpeg.4795941838921c3271c89e30c29b2d94.jpeg

This season he’s made 11 appearances for Bournemouth with no recorded injuries. Perhaps dropping down a level for game time is just what he needs? We do have reasonable depth in wide areas too, so perhaps less of a risk than Stewart was for example.

And this guy plays both sides. When he plays, that is. Hasn't been played by his club this season so far, hence contract terminated. As a free agent, we could bring him in right now. But with talk of Ben Johnson as well, who stays, who goes. Wouldn't want KWP to go. We would have to give this some game time as well.

Southampton Keen To Secure Signing Of £650K-Rated Star - The Real EFL

According to TeamTalk, the club on the south coast are set to battle it out with promotion rivals Middlesbrough as well as Stoke City and Preston North End for free agent Matthew Sorinola over the coming weeks, who is currently valued at £650k, as per Transfermarkt.

The former MK Dons youngster most recently spent last season with Martin at Swansea on loan from Belgian title contenders Union Saint-Gilloise but was made redundant upon returning as his contract was not renewed.

2 minutes ago, captainchris said:

This guy is very good and has consistently scored lots of goals. He’s 28 so ready to go and a strong runner.

he would fit straight in.

my mate is a big Hearts fan and knows his football (is a coach at a div 2 club) he said they'll want £10m for him and although he's a good finisher doesn't have the pace to cut it in the premier league. 

Just now, Turkish said:

my mate is a big Hearts fan and knows his football (is a coach at a div 2 club) he said they'll want £10m for him and although he's a good finisher doesn't have the pace to cut it in the premier league. 

He isn’t anywhere near as slow as Che though who is normally 10 yds behind the play. 
Id take a close look at him… 

Although  the squad is performing well ...a.t.m  IMHO there are some who would struggle to make it if / when we are promoted.

A couple of longer term injuries  (Ex. Ross Stewart) would knock a hole in the squad that would be difficult to replace at Prem. level..

We are without Sulemana for some time into the future, but fortunately Sam Edozie has hit form at the right time. We need good cover in every position.

Getting the likes of Brooks, Fraser ..or whoever for zero cost / low fees / makes sense - even for a year or two. . 

The three promoted sides from last season are having a tough time , and there 's no guarantee that we'd do a lot better just because we look good now. 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

We'll happily take another Rickie Lambert

7 hours ago, captainchris said:

This guy is very good and has consistently scored lots of goals. He’s 28 so ready to go and a strong runner.

He would fit straight in.

Hearts my Scottish team...watched them earlier this season at home vs Aberdeen. Shankland a cut above the rest. Big, strong, can hold off challenges, good in the box, good in the air, knows where the goal is and scores...not quick his only obvious downside. He'd be a brilliant target man central striker. Doubt the jambos would let him go - he's club captain and leader for a reason.

Edited by Vancouver Saint

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Although  the squad is performing well ...a.t.m  IMHO there are some who would struggle to make it if / when we are promoted.

The obvious one here being Manning, so we would badly need a new LB, even taking into account that Perraud is still our player and would be back with us next season. 

That aside, I think our defence would be mostly OK back in the PL, considering we have a deal to make THB permanent if we go up, and we would have ABK back from loan at PSV. We obviously already have a more than adequate RB in KWP as well.

Anybody know of any decent LBs with a double-barrelled surname we coukd sign so they would fit in? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The obvious one here being Manning, so we would badly need a new LB, even taking into account that Perraud is still our player and would be back with us next season. 

That aside, I think our defence would be mostly OK back in the PL, considering we have a deal to make THB permanent if we go up, and we would have ABK back from loan at PSV. We obviously already have a more than adequate RB in KWP as well.

Anybody know of any decent LBs with a double-barrelled surname we coukd sign so they would fit in? 

There’s this guy at Lyon called Ainsley Maitland-Niles…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Fair few faces to spot in here, Le Tiss, Chamberlain, Sunak obviously. Could be massively over reacting here but young lad and his family draped in Saints scarfs…Micah Hamilton?

image.thumb.png.a6ae2ee8ad8c81b54c789a6060e06549.png

Fair few faces to spot in here, Le Tiss, Chamberlain, Sunak obviously. Could be massively over reacting here but young lad and his family draped in Saints scarfs…Micah Hamilton?

That weirdo ex footballer conspiracy theorist doesn’t look impressed at Rishi 😂

• Haha 2

Seems like only person taking it as a photo opportunity 

Never heard of the bloke but he does look like his photo - profile below from city

Born and brought up in Manchester, the skilful attacking midfielder has progressed through the Club’s age groups with great distinction since joining City as an Under-9.

Blessed with impressive versatility, Hamilton can operate either through the middle but also out wide where he has harnessed his blistering pace to hurt defences at all age groups.

Having made his mark through successive age groups at City, the 19-year-old tasted Premier League Under-18 north action for the first time in 2018/19 before making his next appearance in the competition the following season as City came first in the regional section.

However, it was during the 2020/21 campaign where Hamilton truly made his mark on the competition by harnessing his natural goal-scoring ability alongside his talent and technique.

He found the target regularly as City’s Under-18s marched towards both the northern regional title and national crown.

Across that campaign, the England youth international scored 11 goals and registered eight assists in 22 league appearances – averaging a goal contribution at a rate of just under one per game.

Hamilton continued his fine career progression in the following 2021/22 season, one which also saw him make maiden appearances in both the UEFA Youth League and EFL Trophy while he was also regularly included in our Elite Development Squad as City lifted the Premier League 2 title for a second successive campaign.

Though much of last season saw him sidelined through injury, upon his return in March he scored three goals and registered one assist to help City’s Under-21s go on to secure a third successive PL2 title.

Hamilton has kicked on again so far this term, captaining the EDS at the start of the new campaign where he has already provided three goals to his colleagues in five matches.

Throughout his time with City, our starlet has passed every test with flying colours when he has been challenged with stepping up an age group.

Now he’ll be aiming to grasp the next opportunity with both hands in Serbia.

23 hours ago, Badger said:

Good point. We certainly want to avoid a Dani Osvaldo type signing or any Billy Big Bollocks. I suspect that might be a greater risk bringing in a loan from the Prem who thinks he’s above our level and acts in that fashion.

An up and coming striker who meets the same work ethic as the rest though should be fine. 

Despite the risk, we’ve been crying out for a forward for two years now. That should be priority. 

Re the striker, one issue is if we get promoted which is looking quite likely I think ideally we want one that will be able to do it in the premier league..

its harder to attract that calibre now and we don’t want to spend  big money on someone we need to upgrade in the summer..

ings on loan would be perfect if we could get him here .. pretty sure he would be absolute class in this league. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Interesting point about our loanees. I'd presumed we would never see any of them again, and that whether or not announced, every one of these players would be sold in 2024. If we did get promoted, something we increasingly need to consider, who might we expect to return to the first team squad? ABK would certainly strengthen it. Not sure about Perraud. Who else?

On 30/12/2023 at 00:00, Sheaf Saint said:

Anybody know of any decent LBs with a double-barrelled surname we could sign so they would fit in? 

( If KWP.. were to follow JWP ..to WHam, maybe he has a younger brother who could play both full back roles as well..or ? ...(haha)

As for the rest, some of our younger talents might struggle at the higher level.   Downes, Charles, Alcarez and Edozie are all on a high just now, but

logic says that " everyone looks good "  in a team that's playing well, but they will need to step up " big time" to become automatic choices at Prem.level.

Bree looks good at this level, as does Adam Armstrong,  but ..for some fans.. the jury is still out on Sulemana, and Ross Stewart is still an unknown quantity. 

" 30 is a dangerous age " , and looking forward a year or two, the likes of; Jack Stephens, Ryan Fraser and Stuart Armstrong might be struggling for selection. 

I'm trying to avoid being overcritical, but just now Burnley, Luton and Sheff. Utd are finding this out to their cost, and Notts. Forest were lucky to survive

last season after bringing in... 24 new players ..  and are finding that life in the Prem. is a totally different ball game after their Championship successes.

Our squad may be good enough to make a quick return to the Prem. but in all honesty I can't see us improving enough to survive longer term with our present

personnel, and remembering Nigel Adkins' swift dismissal after his two great seasons, Russell Martin may be on a very short fuse as a potential Prem. manager.

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

( If KWP.. were to follow JWP ..to WHam, maybe he has a younger brother who could play both full back roles as well..or ? ...(haha)

As for the rest, some of our younger talents might struggle at the higher level.   Downes, Charles, Alcarez and Edozie are all on a high just now, but

logic says that " everyone looks good "  in a team that's playing well, but they will need to step up " big time" to become automatic choices at Prem.level.

Bree looks good at this level, as does Adam Armstrong,  but ..for some fans.. the jury is still out on Sulemana, and Ross Stewart is still an unknown quantity. 

" 30 is a dangerous age " , and looking forward a year or two, the likes of; Jack Stephens, Ryan Fraser and Stuart Armstrong might be struggling for selection. 

I'm trying to avoid being overcritical, but just now Burnley, Luton and Sheff. Utd are finding this out to their cost, and Notts. Forest were lucky to survive

last season after bringing in... 24 new players ..  and are finding that life in the Prem. is a totally different ball game after their Championship successes.

Our squad may be good enough to make a quick return to the Prem. but in all honesty I can't see us improving enough to survive longer term with our present

personnel, and remembering Nigel Adkins' swift dismissal after his two great seasons, Russell Martin may be on a very short fuse as a potential Prem. manager.

Daaamn, so desperate to criticise and be right that you’re writing him off because of a situation he hasn’t even had a chance to tackle yet. Just enjoy this season for now mate.

23 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Daaamn, so desperate to criticise and be right that you’re writing him off because of a situation he hasn’t even had a chance to tackle yet. Just enjoy this season for now mate.

I really want KWP to stay, but there has been a lot of " fake news" / bad sources  about potential deals with Johnson / Downes / loan Ings that it's hard to ignore.

Time will tell, but please replace  " criticism " (yr. words) with  my " comments " , because I stand by the rest of my text on the others. (above)

31 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Loan with an option to buy being discussed for Manuel Benson from Burnley. This is according to a Belgian journalist on twitter. 

Burnley fans not happy with this news. Bit strange as he’s a similar player to Tella who hindsight says we shouldn’t have let go.