January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Perhaps we could send Palace Sulemana instead? Would be a huge upgrade. 

You never really get swap deals happening, but I like that idea - although I think we will need the explosiveness of Sulemana if we go up. Steady Eddie's are no good in the Prem.

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Fraser has played almost exclusively from the left, ditto Edozie and Sulemana.

SAA is a kid who is learning but probably not ready to be expected to have a genuine impact yet.

AA might be needed to play centrally were Adams to get injured or leave and we have lots of games.

Rak-Sakyi plays off the right, scored 15 for Charlton last season and won their POTS and is highly rated at Palace with PL apps this season and nearly joined Leicester in the summer on loan but then Zaha left.

We obviously want a right sided player as all our genuine wide players play off the left and he would be a good option IMO.

AA wants to play “upfront” RM spoke about or mentioned that in an interview a couple of weeks ago - something along the lines of I’m (RM) annoying AA by playing him our wide as it’s not his favourite position.

36 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Fraser has played almost exclusively from the left, ditto Edozie and Sulemana.

SAA is a kid who is learning but probably not ready to be expected to have a genuine impact yet.

AA might be needed to play centrally were Adams to get injured or leave and we have lots of games.

Rak-Sakyi plays off the right, scored 15 for Charlton last season and won their POTS and is highly rated at Palace with PL apps this season and nearly joined Leicester in the summer on loan but then Zaha left.

We obviously want a right sided player as all our genuine wide players play off the left and he would be a good option IMO.

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

Brilliant feet, takes players on and makes things happen. Proper twinkle toes, two footed and with plenty of pace. You will love watching him play. 

27 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Palace fan at work was raving about him last summer and hoping this would be a breakout season in the first team for him.  I've never seen him play so can't really comment but sounds like they expect big things from him.

Thanks all, much appreciated. I knew nothing about the lad, but he sounds like he'd give us something. 

13 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Obviously "tapped up".

Ha! Our saintly club have never ever ever spoken with a player or his agent to sound him out before approaching his club. Never ever. 

13 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Probably their best player this season and certainly most consistent. Big loss for them even if they get good money.

Another midfielder in front of Kami Doyle too. Just saying...

Think Doyle will be going out on loan tbf :toppa:

13 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

9 goals and 9 assists too. Hugely impactful for Leicester.

13 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Either he's forcing his way out or Leicester are desperate for the money.  Seems nuts to sell him in the middle of the season when promotion is not assured

12 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

They are skint as, and haven't been able to shift any other players.

Bit like JWP too, he's on massive wages also. 

from another Footie board, and a Leicester fan: 

Yeah he's been our best player, we need to sell to be able to buy, but there's no way we'd want to lose him at any point, let alone at this stage of the season. We're really short in midfield already without losing him. 

However, selling a player is not a necessity. Maresca said on Friday that he was content with his squad and would be happy to go forward with the same group of players, even if that meant missing out on targets.

“We need to sell to bring in,” Maresca said. “At the end it’s not difficult because we are happy with the squad. But with internationals and injuries, we are short. But we don’t definitely have to sell.”

The trouble is the ones we're willing to let go are either currently on international duty or nobody else wants. I don't think for a minute he'll go, but if he did, Brighton would be a great fit considering the style of football both they and us play. He'd slot in straight away. Maresca and Di Zerbi are good friends so I'd hope there'd be some sort of agreement between them not to torpedo our promotion push by taking our best player. The same can't be said about Brentford, Arsenal and Fulham though.

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

According to Nixon on X Burnley have not had any offers for Benson and it’s a lot of  PR and agent talk.

It does seem that way, seems we have been chasing the Palace youngster, we couldnt be after both as we havent the loan space

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

It does seem that way, seems we have been chasing the Palace youngster, we couldnt be after both as we havent the loan space

you might be right, but i think it's possible we enquire about more than one player at a time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

you might be right, but i think it's possible we enquire about more than one player at a time.

I always am reticent about deals that take a long time to get over the line. Rudi was the one where the alarm bells always rang to me. Benson is another, firstly why do Burnley want rid, especially as they are in a dire state and surely would need him 

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I always am reticent about deals that take a long time to get over the line. Rudi was the one where the alarm bells always rang to me. Benson is another, firstly why do Burnley want rid, especially as they are in a dire state and surely would need him 

Tbh the Palace youngster is more "our type" of signing. I could see it happening if we are genuinely interested. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I totally agree about Benson, something fishy there

3 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Perhaps we could send Palace Sulemana instead? Would be a huge upgrade. 

So swap Sulimana, our record signing!! for a kid you no doubt have never seen play !!

Oh come on that is ridiculous, Sulimana will prove himself to be a top player for us.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Tbh the Palace youngster is more "our type" of signing. I could see it happening if we are genuinely interested. 

Is that because he’s young, unproven, and currently injured/coming back from injury ? 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/hell-beat-that-palace-boss-roy-hodgson-provides-jesurun-rak-sakyi-injury-update/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d rather see a loan with a bit more experience coming in providing they improve the team/squad now, rather than an untried youngster.

Brooks could be ideal for us, although realistically I doubt Bournemouth will let him go. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, OldNick said:

So swap Sulimana, our record signing!! for a kid you no doubt have never seen play !!

Oh come on that is ridiculous, Sulimana will prove himself to be a top player for us.

Carillio should've had more of a chance too, being our record signing at the time and all. 

I have seen him play and i just don't get the hype on Sulemena at all, I'm afraid. What has he done in a Saints shirt to warrant such praise and confidence?

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Carillio should've had more of a chance too, being our record signing at the time and all. 

I have seen him play and i just don't get the hype on Sulemena at all, I'm afraid. What has he done in a Saints shirt to warrant such praise and confidence?

I seem to remember that he had quite a few games for us without making an impression.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

A lot of his season has been disrupt with injuries at the start and then again recently.

but it’s not just about him not scoring many so far it’s what he capable of doing he’s absolutely rapid with the skills to match, I remember when he came on vs Spurs last year and he was absolutely frightening running at them, (seemed to be more central that day, but to me a fantastic prospect and don’t get the hate towards him especially swapping him for a kid that just played league one 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I seem to remember that he had quite a few games for us without making an impression.

A few ..is more accurate Whitey.    Total appearances.....just  SEVEN  games.  Three of those were Cup matches . 

Admittedly  No goals,  but did contribute 2 assists.   I think he was judged a tad unfairly, coming into a side that was a bit unbalanced at the time.

I recall watching a couple of those games on TV, where he was hardly given a pass (!)... and at 6' 2" tall,  he often appeared out on the left wing (?) .

The worst part of the deal was the 3 and half year contract he signed.     That cost us a hefty sum in later years.. on top of the 19 million fee.

The real question should be ....How on Earth did he get to Monaco in the first place ? ... A good club at the time, but he rarely got off their bench.

His later loan to Elche (another poor team) was little better, and he even tried his luck in China.   Scored a few goals at both clubs, but when last 

heard of  he was back at his boyhood club Estudiantes in Argentina. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

I certainly agree with the comment about Guido Carrillo.  He didn't get much of a look in, and at a time when few in the team were performing well.  

I think Sulemana  had a bit of a raw deal, too.  He is young, and seemingly expected more when joining a club struggling at the bottom didn't help his ambition. 

He certainly has a bit of pace about him, but as a winger he needed much more service at a time when we were struggling both creatively and defensively. 

"We have been told that Burnley have made an offer to bring Callum O’Hare – who learned his trade at Aston Villa before leaving in 2020 – back to the Premier League. Leicester City and Southampton, placed first and third in the Championship at present, have submitted bids of their own, with O’Hare yet to sign a new contract at the Coventry Building Society Arena."

• Like 1

Personal opinion : The Best result of the transfer window would be keeping ALL our best players. You know, “ The Unbeatable Saints”. 

Retaining ALL our best players = major continuity, consistency, morale and momentum boost to our promotion hopes. The team & the squad know who they are and what’s what and where they play, how & with who in what units - and even when. Focus is solely on promotion not learning a new guys ways or new position style or movements etc. 

The alternative is tinker about buying and trading our best player (s) - which is often a gamble. Why gamble on our team momentum, team consistency, team continuity and unit morale right now? I argue we’ve more to lose than to gain by first team player trading - given the current squad are literally currently unbeatable at this level.

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood I’d be saying” Well, do you feel lucky, punk?” ( 3 pts for guessing the film 😁

Is it worth taking that risk, right now? 
For me  NO.

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

Benson seems like a low risk move on loan.

Only started 14 Champ games for Burnley last season, with 19 apps off the bench but still managed 11 goals.

Doubt we would want him long term but even if he came in and won us a couple of games off the bench it would be worth it.

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Benson seems like a low risk move on loan.

Only started 14 Champ games for Burnley last season, with 19 apps off the bench but still managed 11 goals.

Doubt we would want him long term but even if he came in and won us a couple of games off the bench it would be worth it.

Never a bad idea to sign somebody who has championship experience, who’s played in a side that likes possession & can bang one in from 30 yards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Ryan Hedges the other side from Blackburn and with Benson, we’ll be smoking 

Absolutely agree......with 2 pacey wingers you'd be able to see the smoke from files away.  Could SImon Gillet still do a job for us?  That would be razor sharp then

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Very close to an agreement for Manuel Benson according to a Belgian journalist..

Will believe it when I see it. 

Not fussed as I don't think he'd add a great deal to the squad.

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

He has a very good record of coming off the bench and scoring goals from the right hand side. Pretty low risk and gives us something we don't really have. A decent left footer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I assume you did not watch much of the championship last season, and are going by stats. Benson was one of the main reasons for Burnley’s success last season and particularly a strong reason for Tella scoring so many. Most times Burnley scored later in games, and they did this a lot, Benson was one of two players coming on and creating the chances and assisting the goals. He was a real talent, and it seems odd that he has more limited time playing for them this year, perhaps he doesn’t suit the different style they are using this season.

If Benson does come, the squad could look like this assuming all fit and Aribo back from the African Nations.

Keeper                       BAZUNU         Lumley    McCarthy
Right Back               KWP                Bree        (Stephens/Holgate)
Left Back                 MANNING       (Bree)      (KWP/Meghoma)
Centre Back           BEDNAREK     Stephens (Holgate/Charles)
Centre Back           THB                 (Stephens/Holgate/Charles)
Defensive Mid       DOWNES        Charles
Attacking Mid       SMALLBONE  Aribo/Rothwell
Attacking Mid       SARMA           Alcarez/Dibling
Wide Right             ARMA            Sulemana/Edozie/SAA
Central Striker     ADAMS           Mara/Arma
Wide Left               FRASER          Benson/(Sulemana/Edozie)

So based on the above there are potentially 27 players in the squad with reasonable cover in most positions apart from Central Striker but I guess most of us on here would agree with that comment.

56 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

If Benson does come, the squad could look like this assuming all fit and Aribo back from the African Nations.

Keeper                       BAZUNU         Lumley    McCarthy
Right Back               KWP                Bree        (Stephens/Holgate)
Left Back                 MANNING       (Bree)      (KWP/Meghoma)
Centre Back           BEDNAREK     Stephens (Holgate/Charles)
Centre Back           THB                 (Stephens/Holgate/Charles)
Defensive Mid       DOWNES        Charles
Attacking Mid       SMALLBONE  Aribo/Rothwell
Attacking Mid       SARMA           Alcarez/Dibling
Wide Right             ARMA            Sulemana/Edozie/SAA
Central Striker     ADAMS           Mara/Arma
Wide Left               FRASER          Benson/(Sulemana/Edozie)

So based on the above there are potentially 27 players in the squad with reasonable cover in most positions apart from Central Striker but I guess most of us on here would agree with that comment.

Doesn't Benson play on the right? If so he would be the alternative to Armstrong in that position surely. 

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Based on his output for Burnley last season off the bench it seems a logical decision.

If he has a similar impact to Fraser from the bench, it could be the difference of turning draws into wins

6 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

With Bree injured ...are backs  ups to KWP and Manning look pretty poor to be honest

Thought Holgate was excellent today, bar a ropey first 10 minutes.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't Benson play on the right? If so he would be the alternative to Armstrong in that position surely. 

Yes, correct - primarily a right winger, cuts inside a lot. Him and Tella pretty much interchanged roles last season.

• Like 1

At this point, I think we are at the point in the window where we should only be adding.  If we lose anyone it will create a hole (accept McCarthy) and let's be honest we always hope they have a plan in case this happens but we get burnt every time we try to last minute buy.  Hopefully Benson comes in for depth but otherwise lets hope we stay pretty much the same and the teams around us become weaker with people leaving last minute.

28 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Thought Lewis Payne had a good game v United yesterday but we do lack cover at full-back. I am a bit mystified why we are going for a wide man. A nos 9 should be a priority after Stewart’s injury. 

Was Payne sent on loan for experience or to put him in the shop window? As has been said before, not that many of our loans seem to help the individual, though I had thought Payne had been seen as a strong prospect. Will he end up like Vokins, Small and many others….

26 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Was Payne sent on loan for experience or to put him in the shop window?

Window Payne?

(I'm here all week, somewhat unfortunately)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Thought Lewis Payne had a good game v United yesterday but we do lack cover at full-back. I am a bit mystified why we are going for a wide man. A nos 9 should be a priority after Stewart’s injury. 

Adams, Armstong, Mara - Alcaraz and Aribo at a push... We've got more than enough up top for now, imo. 

Aside Armstrong or playing someone who prefers to play on the left on the right, we have no experienced cover at RW.. 

In short, I wont be dissapointed if we dont bring anyone in, but I think Benson or Brooks would really improve ourside. I'm still much more in the camp of Brooks

Edited by Dman

16 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What makes you say that? 

I think we have priorities in other positions notably striker. Also don't believe he's that good a player - just my opinion of course.