Saints 2-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 hours ago, waylander said:

No. I see this as Bree fit and he might change another position

Really hoping Bree is fit. He deserves to keep his place in the team as he's been very good at left back.

Despite what some people say on here, Holgate for me comes in for Jan. The last game he played in, he played well. 

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 22:33, CB Fry said:

I listened to that this morning and thought exactly the same. Interesting the panel didn't really pick up on it.

We need to score first because it feels like they'll do us on the break if they can hold us off for an hour.

I think the WB bloke was being a full of him / there self so it didn’t really get the right response. 

• Like 2

Just 200 tickets left now for today's game, would expect them all to sell this morning, another home sell out. Great to see, Premier league neutrals gone replaced by actual Saints fans enjoying football again. 

West Brom took full 2,825 allocation, didn't quite manage to sell them all but about 2,700 expected. Feels like a big game should be a good atmosphere. 

Are Saints fans in the military involved pre match again on the pitch / playing last post? Worth being in the ground on time for that. 

Match prediction 2-2 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Today will be a good measure of where we are as a team.  Really looking forward to seeing Stewart get some time - think he’ll be a vital part of our improvement 

Agreed. How far have we come? Can we still be taken apart by teams like Preston (thinking of the Potts goal), Norwich and Sunderland? Or have we tightened things up?

Without Bednarek it'll be hard to assess fairly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Just 200 tickets left now for today's game, would expect them all to sell this morning, another home sell out. Great to see, Premier league neutrals gone replaced by actual Saints fans enjoying football again. 

West Brom took full 2,825 allocation, didn't quite manage to sell them all but about 2,700 expected. Feels like a big game should be a good atmosphere. 

Are Saints fans in the military involved pre match again on the pitch / playing last post? Worth being in the ground on time for that. 

Match prediction 2-2 

Yes they are playing Last Post.

Also a 20% discount on food and drink for season ticket holders in the concourse between 1330 and 1430 if you fancy a less overpriced burger before the game.

Screenshot_2023-11-11-10-08-33-46_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Really hoping Bree is fit. He deserves to keep his place in the team as he's been very good at left back.

Despite what some people say on here, Holgate for me comes in for Jan. The last game he played in, he played well. 

Bree has added balance, and lets KWP be more on attacking thread on the other side. Bar PNE, Jan has played well so that’s a blow but interesting to see if Martin uses Holgate or puts Charles back there. I’d prefer Charles in CM for this game, perhaps give Smallbone a break today. 

• Like 1

Just thinking…. we could finish with Adams, Stewart, Stuey & Fraser on the pitch (unlikely I know, as SA typically goes off). BUT, if we did might this be our highest number of Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿internationals on the pitch at one time? 

Edited by SW11_Saint

14 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Just thinking…. we could finish with Adams, Stewart, Stuey & Fraser on the pitch (unlikely I know, as SA typically goes off). BUT, if we did might this be our highest number of Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿internationals on the pitch at one time? 

Oh how I hate questions like this. 😉 I have to spend the next half hour  racking my brains to see if you're correct.  

3-1 to the Saints today.  COYR

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Hope Holgate has found some sharpness. 

He scares me. Genuinely surprised how poor he is. Hopefully he proves me wrong today!

People saying he had a good game at Preston, from where I was standing he looked nervous and on the edge of a mistake all game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

He scares me. Genuinely surprised how poor he is. Hopefully he proves me wrong today!

People saying he had a good game at Preston, from where I was standing he looked nervous and on the edge of a mistake all game.

There's got to be something about him, he just needs to find it again and quick.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I agree, but he's probably as good a 4th choice CB as we could expect at this level. 

• Like 1

Interesting, and encouraging, to see Bree keep his place at LB.

Manning had seemed to be a "pet" choice for RM in that position, but the manager does seem to respond to changes in form and fitness that he sees at the training ground and in league games. And gives opportunities to players who emerge and shine. Or perhaps he listens closely to what the other coaching staff have to say. Regardless, it's good for the squad, I reckon, that the manager is now combining two essential things: finding a settled team (especially in the defence), but also ready to make changes when required.

16 minutes ago, Hamilton Saint said:

Manning had seemed to be a "pet" choice for RM in that position, but the manager does seem to respond to changes in form and fitness that he sees at the training ground and in league games. And gives opportunities to players who emerge and shine. Or perhaps he listens closely to what the other coaching staff have to say. Regardless, it's good for the squad, I reckon, that the manager is now combining two essential things: finding a settled team (especially in the defence), but also ready to make changes when required.

Unless it’s AA then not quite so sure… 

18 minutes ago, Hamilton Saint said:

A manager can put in the players that he thinks are the best, but sometimes it takes time to work out the right balance across the team as a whole. Bree's more defensive approach is working and Martin seems to have recognised that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thornhill_saints said:

Decent mobile streaming app - live player (green icon)  can airdrop / bluetooth to TV - watch any game for free, click the search icon, click on live, then type the game you want to watch - if it comes up with install vpn just click another link 

Thank you. Just downloaded this, fingers crossed it works well. If not, back to the streams, but thanks for the heads up. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 West Brom - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic