Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Jack

3 hours ago, DT said:

Christ. We need to offload Che and get someone who can score more than twice a year. The winger bit makes me suspect Sulemana is off. Everton?

I have no idea if we want another striker and it could be that if we do that we already have someone ready to come in.....who knows!

Regarding Sully, he's injured  and he really in my opinion has done nothing to warrant a Premier league side coming in for him, he can't score for toffee (fits in well with current squad!) and his decision making is woeful. If he can't do it week in week out in the Championship then i doubt he can in the Premiership.

You could also say the same thing about Alcaraz who has totally flattered to deceive (and i really like both players and hope they come good)

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I have no idea if we want another striker and it could be that if we do that we already have someone ready to come in.....who knows!

Regarding Sully, he's injured  and he really in my opinion has done nothing to warrant a Premier league side coming in for him, he can't score for toffee (fits in well with current squad!) and his decision making is woeful. If he can't do it week in week out in the Championship then i doubt he can in the Premiership.

You could also say the same thing about Alcaraz who has totally flattered to deceive (and i really like both players and hope they come good)

Ah, but could he score for The Toffees?

I do wonder if he is being coached to his strengths. "If in doubt, pass it back so the ball can be recycled 372 times before it comes back to you in about 7 minutes time".

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bazunu;

KWP. THB. Bednarek. Bree.

Downes. Charles. Smallbone,

Armstrong. Adams. Edozie

Agreed, the only variable is Edozie. He may start with Mara and Adams.

Draw likely, not the end of the world, but obviously hoping for a win.

Better not be roadworks on the way home, got stuff to do tomorrow....

On 11/12/2023 at 01:35, trousers said:

Source?

Cheers 👍

On 11/12/2023 at 01:37, BARCELONASAINT said:

my son is a football agent/scout, for obvious reasons he gets to know what positions we are looking for.

His main market is South America and USA

I fully expected to hear the nonsense answer: The Circle of Trust.

Thank you for sharing!

2-0 Saints. Just locking that in for Convict...he must be away doing something better with his life...

Edited by St. Ciervo
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, saintant said:

A draw would be a decent outcome to keep the run going. Think this will be another tough one.

Really? They aren’t great, bottom half of the table. Sort of game we should be expecting to win. Anything else is a poor result given Saturdays cock up

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Stephens starts tonight.

Martin said someone who has been great recently will miss out tonight and said it'll be a difficult conversation. I wonder if he is referring to THB? Lost that key header on Saturday. Surely he can't drop Bednarek after the MOTM performance. 

10 hours ago, macca155 said:

Agreed, the only variable is Edozie. He may start with Mara and Adams.

Draw likely, not the end of the world, but obviously hoping for a win.

Better not be roadworks on the way home, got stuff to do tomorrow....

No Stuart Armstrong or alcaraz ?? Think stuey is maybe our most important player at the moment creativity wise .. I’d go with midfield and attack of smallbone downes stuey Fraser alcaraz arma personally 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saintant said:

Chance to go level with Leeds on points. Can we take it?

The all important battle for 3rd place hots up. 😄

Annoyingly Coventry are starting to find some form, 3 wins in their last 4, but we should still have enough to beat them. This is one of those games we draw and pat ourselves on the back afterwards like it's a job well done, but we've dropped enough stupid points this season so I'm going with a Saints win - 1-0.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

The all important battle for 3rd place hots up. 😄

Annoyingly Coventry are starting to find some form, 3 wins in their last 4, but we should still have enough to beat them. This is one of those games we draw and pat ourselves on the back afterwards like it's a job well done, but we've dropped enough stupid points this season so I'm going with a Saints win - 1-0.

Exactly a draw is not a good result. We have hardly any room for error now. Still I’d rather finish 3rd than 2nd anyway 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Martin said someone who has been great recently will miss out tonight and said it'll be a difficult conversation. I wonder if he is referring to THB? Lost that key header on Saturday. Surely he can't drop Bednarek after the MOTM performance. 

More likely to be Charles maybe ?

not sure I’d say he’s been great ., but smallbone is pretty key to how we play 

46 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Bednarek was at fault for their goal on Saturday. He could easily have blocked that shot.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Really? They aren’t great, bottom half of the table. Sort of game we should be expecting to win. Anything else is a poor result given Saturdays cock up

Let's see how it pans out - it won't be easy because we don't do easy.

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Let's see how it pans out - it won't be easy because we don't do easy.

I don’t think it’s easy but we should really be winning. I don’t mean to be arrogant but away against a lower team should be 3 points 9/10 times .we never make things easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I don’t think it’s easy but we should really be winning. I don’t mean to be arrogant but away against a lower team should be 3 points 9/10 times .we never make things easy. 

I totally agree, we should be confident of winning tonight. However, despite our decent points tally and the run we are on, we seem to make hard work of everything. It would be brilliant to see us go out and pepper the opposition goal and score a few but it doesn't happen and won't tonight.

7 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Anyone driving up heads up that A34 is currently closed at Winchester - saying could be closed for some time!

Re-opened at 2.30 after fatal motorbike crash sadly at 5.30am, caused mayhem through Winchester by all accounts. There was an issue on the A34 nearer Oxford but that’s now re-opened northbound too.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

My money is on Charles

On 11/12/2023 at 10:33, BARCELONASAINT said:

we are a decent side that can outplay most sides in this division but we are lacking the one thing that turns dominance into maximum points week in week out......we have an awful conversion rate and it's not just our strikers.

I will leave Adama out of this as he's the one player scoring but my god the rest of the so called front players and attacking midfielders really let us down and it is no surprise that i hear our recruitment side are looking for a winger and an attacking mifielder!!

Thanks bro for both the info and the guarantee you have now given us a free scoring game from our players not called A Armstrong 😉

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Hope he keeps both THB & Bednerek, but with Stephens being club captain and the way RM selects Manning over Bree, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Stephens back.

14 hours ago, St. Ciervo said:

I fully expected to hear the nonsense answer: The Circle of Trust.

Thank you for sharing!

2-0 Saints. Just locking that in for Convict...he must be away doing something better with his life...

No I reached my happy place when i predicted 2-0 and got a result of 2-0 in the Cardiff game, took 2 yrs to get a prediction right, i need to try a new scoreline.

Tonight i will predict 3-1 to us, this is my new scoreline.

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This has a draw written all over this. And many will be very excited, as we fall further behind the top 2.

Got a complaint amigo, as @Tommy Mulgrew mentioned - where is the presser summary, think this is the first one you've missed in like 8 games

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Got a complaint amigo, as @Tommy Mulgrew mentioned - where is the presser summary, think this is the first one you've missed in like 8 games

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Did a version myself

Good afternoon, Russell. Can you give us an assessment of the squad ahead of the Coventry City match?

• Yes, of course. We've been working hard in training and the squad is looking good. We have a few players who are carrying minor injuries, but overall, I'm pleased with the fitness levels and the commitment shown by the players.

There have been reports of Flynn potentially returning to the team. Can you provide an update on his situation?

• Flynn has been making good progress in his recovery and there is a possibility that he could be available for selection for the Coventry City match. We will continue to monitor his fitness and make a decision closer to the game.

In previous interviews, you've mentioned the importance of finding a balance between structure and freedom on the pitch. Can you elaborate on that?

• Absolutely. It's crucial for us to have a solid structure in place, but at the same time, we want our players to have the freedom to express themselves and play with instinct. It's about finding that balance between following a game plan and allowing our players to make decisions based on their feeling and intuition.

You've recently praised Shay's performance in the team. Can you expand on that?

• Shay has been outstanding in recent matches. He's shown great determination, skill, and leadership on the pitch. It's important for us to recognize and appreciate the contributions of our players, and Shay has certainly been a key player for us. We want him to feel valued and continue enjoying his football.

Mason has been absent from the team in recent games. Can you shed some light on that situation?

• Mason is currently dealing with a minor injury, which has kept him out of the squad. As a manager, it's always difficult to make tough decisions regarding team selection, especially when it involves leaving out talented players like Mason. However, we have to prioritize the overall well-being and fitness of our players. We'll continue to support Mason in his recovery and hope to have him back in action soon.

Edited by Convict Colony

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

No I reached my happy place when i predicted 2-0 and got a result of 2-0 in the Cardiff game, took 2 yrs to get a prediction right, i need to try a new scoreline.

Tonight i will predict 3-1 to us, this is my new scoreline.

If it takes you 2 years to get a prediction right, could you please predict a defeat?

• Haha 3

Yeah we need to be beating teams in the bottom half home and away to have any chance of keeping pace with the top 2. Need to put pressure on Ipswich who have a tough run ahead of them, and make the most of a rare Leeds defeat. 

1-1 

78% possession, 2 on target, Russ delighted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yeah we need to be beating teams in the bottom half home and away to have any chance of keeping pace with the top 2. Need to put pressure on Ipswich who have a tough run ahead of them, and make the most of a rare Leeds defeat. 

1-1 

78% possession, 2 on target, Russ delighted 

Russ - ‘Very proud of the players’

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D unpinned this topic