Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Jack

Saints need to make it another 7 point week to have a hope of keeping pace with the top 3.

Coventry have had a recent turnaround with 10 points from their last 5 games, after just 1 point from their previous 5. 

Despite that, it’s really a must win for Saints to keep some pressure on the teams above who have all been winning these kind of fixtures. Would expect some rotation after today and plenty to work on in an attacking sense 

• Like 1

Back to winning ways I reckon. Ricoh Arena will suit us, big pitch, same size as St Mary's, and we've got a big away following. Hopefully today's disappointment will spur them on, and we'll do something we've not done this season and win by more than 2 goals away from home!

3-0 comfortable win

All felt very negative at the final whistle yesterday, not sensing a lot of enthusiasm for this fixture despite 3000 tickets sold out for our end. 

Flynn Downes back will help. 

I'll go for another 1-1 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

All felt very negative at the final whistle yesterday, not sensing a lot of enthusiasm for this fixture despite 3000 tickets sold out for our end. 

Flynn Downes back will help. 

I'll go for another 1-1 

Aribo had a great game didn't he? Will he keep his place and someone else drop out for Downes?

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have a striker, who on the few times I have seen play on telly, is absolutely terrible - ellis sims.

Bound to score then lol

Or we’re bound to sign the fucker in January. 

(even bigger ‘lols’ at our muppets responsible for striker recruitment over the last two years)  

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have a striker, who on the few times I have seen play on telly, is absolutely terrible - ellis sims.

Bound to score then lol

I've watched him play a few times. He was in the Everton U23s with my nephew and was highly rated, but started believing his own hype, got cocky and thought he was much better than he actually is.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Aribo had a great game didn't he? Will he keep his place and someone else drop out for Downes?

I thought Aribo played well and added some physical presence to hold the ball up but think we missed Downes movement. 

13 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Russell will remove the shackles that are making us a little slow and predictable in possession at times.

With this new found freedom, we will fucking murder them.  Outstanding 4-1 victory, with the Armstrong boys tearing those fuckers an entirely new asshole.

That’s entirely possible, Russ has done this before after a run of unsatisfactory results/ performances. We will put on an exiting display. Win well, then he will revert to Russball because he is so firmly wedded to it and the whole process will repeat.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, waylander said:

Coventry have drawn a lot (5 games) at home, only lost 1. Another draw seems likely.

Let's hope not. Given the dropped points on Saturday, a draw here would be a poor result.. no doubt about it. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Let's hope not. Given the dropped points on Saturday, a draw here would be a poor result.. no doubt about it. 

Staying unbeaten will not be a bad result. Away at Coventry has historically been a tricky fixture, even if we did win our last league game at the stadium formerly known as the Ricoh Arena. I am desperate for a good result as the day after I will be sitting down to Christmas Dinner with lots of Coventry fans.

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Leeds and Ipswich both play on Tuesday night (Sunderland and WBA away, respectively) so we'll go into this knowing if there's a chance to pull the gap back down.

Think Ipswich play at Watford, another tough game but they seem to be able to win those, will be interesting 

We should win this comfortably, but we won’t. RM will persist with Manning which will unbalance the defence once again. Hoping Downes is back, although thought Aribo had a great game at the weekend. If we allow them the chance to break, they’ll eventually score and we’ll struggle. Draw 1-1 or an end to the unbeaten run.

Personal opinion, Aribo was ok, not great, Manning ok, opens up on his left foot which Bree cant do. Defence is sorted for me.  Che's a patchy goal scorer so expecting another from him Wednesday. Would like to see Frazer start but his contrubution needs to be like when he comes on as sub not like his previous start. Big away following and three points required !

46 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We should win this comfortably, but we won’t. RM will persist with Manning which will unbalance the defence once again. Hoping Downes is back, although thought Aribo had a great game at the weekend. If we allow them the chance to break, they’ll eventually score and we’ll struggle. Draw 1-1 or an end to the unbeaten run.

That's the spirit!  Up the Saints.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

we are a decent side that can outplay most sides in this division but we are lacking the one thing that turns dominance into maximum points week in week out......we have an awful conversion rate and it's not just our strikers.

I will leave Adama out of this as he's the one player scoring but my god the rest of the so called front players and attacking midfielders really let us down and it is no surprise that i hear our recruitment side are looking for a winger and an attacking mifielder!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

my son is a football agent/scout, for obvious reasons he gets to know what positions we are looking for.

His main market is South America and USA

Cool, cheers @BARCELONASAINT

So we're not looking for an out-and-out centre forward (i.e. in case Ross Stewart is out for longer than anticipated and/or Che Adams leaves), as far as your son is aware?

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, saintoaks said:

Personal opinion, Aribo was ok, not great, Manning ok, opens up on his left foot which Bree cant do. Defence is sorted for me.  Che's a patchy goal scorer so expecting another from him Wednesday. Would like to see Frazer start but his contrubution needs to be like when he comes on as sub not like his previous start. Big away following and three points required !

You don't have to be apologetic about your views of these players. If our ambition is to return to the PL this season then Aribo, Manning, Bree, Fraser, Adams, Armstrong A, Armstrong S will not be good enough to keep us there. If this sort of dross is the height of our ambition then we'll end up bottom of the PL pile as before and come straight back down again.

Personally I have never expected our return to be a one year project and doubt that SR did either, so these players are just about good enough to keep us near the top of the second division pile for long enough to keep the cash from gate money rolling in until we can build a team fit for purpose in the PL. Like it or lot that's a 3-5 year project. Most of those journeymen will be long gone by then and good bloody riddance.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You don't have to be apologetic about your views of these players. If our ambition is to return to the PL this season then Aribo, Manning, Bree, Fraser, Adams, Armstrong A, Armstrong S will not be good enough to keep us there. If this sort of dross is the height of our ambition then we'll end up bottom of the PL pile as before and come straight back down again.

Personally I have never expected our return to be a one year project and doubt that SR did either, so these players are just about good enough to keep us near the top of the second division pile for long enough to keep the cash from gate money rolling in until we can build a team fit for purpose in the PL. Like it or lot that's a 3-5 year project. Most of those journeymen will be long gone by then and good bloody riddance.

I very much doubt if the gate money will keep rolling in the longer we are in the Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Apologetic ? Just a personal view.

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this one. Any recommended pubs? Seem to remember going to a pub and walking down by the river last time I went there in 2011. 

Can imagine they'll be a few tweaks from Saturday.

Bazunu; KWP Bednarek THB Manning; Downes Smallbone Stuey, Arma Adams Alcaraz

Could make a case for any of Stephens, Holgate, Bree, Charles, Aribo, Edozie, Fraser to start

Will be another tough game, but if we can get through 90 minutes without gifting something to them which we've done so many times this season already, I'm comfortable we'll come away with a win.  I'd be a lot more comfortable though, if we can get the second goal!!!

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Cool, cheers @BARCELONASAINT

So we're not looking for an out-and-out centre forward (i.e. in case Ross Stewart is out for longer than anticipated and/or Che Adams leaves), as far as your son is aware?

I have spoken to my son again and apparently we are not currently looking for a striker.....read into that what you want, either we have already secured one or they are happy with what we have and feel no need for another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I have spoken to my son again and apparently we are not currently looking for a striker.....read into that what you want, either we have already secured one or they are happy with what we have and feel no need for another.

It was rumoured Marseille were interested in Mara. So I can only assume we’re doing a straight swap for Aubameyang.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Really looking forward to this one. Any recommended pubs? Seem to remember going to a pub and walking down by the river last time I went there in 2011. 

Can imagine they'll be a few tweaks from Saturday.

Bazunu; KWP Bednarek THB Manning; Downes Smallbone Stuey, Arma Adams Alcaraz

Could make a case for any of Stephens, Holgate, Bree, Charles, Aribo, Edozie, Fraser to start

Will be another tough game, but if we can get through 90 minutes without gifting something to them which we've done so many times this season already, I'm comfortable we'll come away with a win.  I'd be a lot more comfortable though, if we can get the second goal!!!

Do we have a seating plan yet? 

I agree with the general view that we need to win and that we ought to. Given that, the prices on Betfair look wrong to me - we are about 13/8 and they are 15/8 which seems too close to me, we are far likelier winners than they are imo. Draw is a small win for me, Saints win is a nice return and if Coventry win I may have to sell one of the kids.....

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

At least I will be able to watch the game on Sky's red button.

Has anyone figured out whether if there is a way to watch it on Sky Go or the Sky Sports app? Last time we played midweek and it was supposed to be on red button I couldn't find it (the only game I could watch was what was on one of the actual Sky Sports channels).

15 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Has anyone figured out whether if there is a way to watch it on Sky Go or the Sky Sports app? Last time we played midweek and it was supposed to be on red button I couldn't find it (the only game I could watch was what was on one of the actual Sky Sports channels).

Red button apparently

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Presumably the game can be watched on the OS for a tenner even in the UK.

Yep. Presumably my local pub in the PO area has the red button on Sky, whatever that means. Not sure what the competition is that evening but they've split feeds before now so I'll go and dangle some turnover in front of them. There's a couple of other random Saints fans who occasionally go in so a vague chance. I'd rather spend £10 on a couple of pints than a dodgy feed.

23 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Christ. We need to offload Che and get someone who can score more than twice a year. The winger bit makes me suspect Sulemana is off. Everton?

A few of our lads were clobbered on Saturday and it would not be a surprise if one or two of them didn't make it tomorrow. Manning & Fraser spring to mind. Alcaraz was hooked so he might be on the naughty step as well. Adams scored so will keep his place. Expect;

Bazunu;

KWP. THB. Bednarek. Bree.

Downes. Charles. Smallbone,

Armstrong. Adams. Edozie

Score 0-2 to Saints

20 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

There is normally a choice of games on the Sky Sports app. This may not actually appear until kick off.

On 11/12/2023 at 06:22, Charlie Wayman said:

Last sentence: why do you (and some others) continually have to be so aggressively antagonistic against many of our players?  They  play for the team we allegedly support.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D unpinned this topic