Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

What he’s saying, I think, is that he’d rather go up winning the play offs than go up finishing second. I do kind of get that, it’s a much more exciting way of going up then coming runners up, yet again. In my lifetime we’ve won one thing, the JPT, whereas we’ve been runners up in an FA and league cup finals and the top 3 divisions. So winning something at Wembley would be nice for once even if it is the trophy for third place. 

Let's not forget runners up in the Zenith Data Systems Cup.

13 hours ago, trousers said:

IF...

- We win our game in hand

- Leeds beat Leicester

- We beat Leicester

- We match the points haul of Leicester's and Leeds' other remaining games

Then we'd finish 5 points behind Leicester and 4 points ahead of Leeds.

No idea what point I'm trying to make here though, if any...! 

Illustrating a practical application of simultaneous equations?

21 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Are we expecting a presser today? Hoping we get some positive news on Downes as his injury is a huge concern going into these tough away fixtures and beyond.

If they set up in the same way as to what they did against us at our place and leeds, where they sit off and let us control the game looking to counter (only examples of I have seeing them), I think we'd be fine with smallbone in the '6'. I'd be really concerned if we have to go to WBA with either Smallbone or Charles back there though. 

Downes is so important to us. Holds the ability and composure on the ball like Smallbone and defensive soliditay as Charles. He's phenomenal, imo.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trousers said:

I think we'd all agree with this 'fantasy' choice but, of course, in the real world there is a third, less palatable option, and that is losing in the play-off final. 

So, yes, given all real world options, the only sensible and pragmatic choice is auto-promotion by any means, rather than the relative lottery of the playoffs. 

..and also a less palatable option of losing even before you get to Wembley as 5 or 6,000 will testify after a wet Wednesday night up in Derby 2007.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The defence picks itself, although not having Meghoma on the bench I think is a bit risky. That lad is more than ready to act as a back up and whilst Charles did well at RB he is needed in midfield now.

In midfield I think it has to be Smallbone, Rothwell and Charles. Assuming Downes and Armstrong are crocked there is no real choice until Aribo gets back. I assume Bragg will be on the bench Tuesday as cover.

It's up front where Saints have an embarrassment of riches and keeping them all happy is going to be a challenge for Martin. Sounds like Che is injured which may well be a blessing as Mara really has forced himself into the reckoning. So up front I guess Armstrong Frazer and Mara with Edozie, Sulemana, and Brooks to come on and cause mayhem later in the match. That isn't even considering Dibling and Amo-Ameyaw.

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Anyone got any advice for parking, and also for away pubs? Not been to Bristol City before...

The Ashton pub. It allows you to park there if you eat in. It’s home fans pub.

It will give you a chance to get meet the local carrot crunching, cider drinking, wurzel wankers.

• Haha 3

After last game I'd like to see a few changes to the team, I'm a little nervous of the Downes Injury if I'm honest.. hopefully it isn't to bad.

Bazunu;

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning;

Charles;

Smallbone, Rothwell;

Brooks, Armstrong, Fraser.

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning, Charles, S.Armstrong, Rothwell, A.Armstrong, Mara, Brooks

Subs: Lumley, Stephens, Meghoma, Smallbone, Kamaldeen, Edozie, Fraser, Adams, Dibling

F*** me, that was almost impossible... doesn't feel right benching some of those players, yet it feels right to promote the likes of Rothwell, Brooks and Mara. Don't envy Russ at the moment although, to coin a cliche, its a nice problem to have....

Edited by trousers

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning, Charles, S.Armstrong, Rothwell, A.Armstrong, Mara, Brooks

Subs: Lumley, Stephens, Meghoma, Smallbone, Kamaldeen, Edozie, Fraser, Adams, Dibling

F*** me, that was almost impossible... doesn't feel right benching some of those players, yet it feels right to promote the likes of Rothwell, Brooks and Mara. Don't envy Russ at the moment although, to coin a cliche, its a nice problem to have....

S Armstong has been crap a couple of weeks running now. That team, but smallbone in for Armstong, for me. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

S Armstong has been crap a couple of weeks running now. That team, but smallbone in for Armstong, for me. 

Yeah, was a bit of a coin toss for me that one. I went for Stu on the basis that he has more experience and that could prove vital in the middle third of the park given Downes' absence. But, if he's out-of-form then, yep, there's a case for dropping him (although, of course, a player has to play in order to have that first game where his form returns... he's not going to be out-of-form forever....  #chicken #egg)

Edited by trousers

29 minutes ago, trousers said:

True but we have another massive game on Friday, players will understand the importance.

• Like 1

I think he'll bring in Brooks for Adams, move A Armstrong down the middle, and Rothwell in for Downes.  Leaves us a bit light in midfield and I'd play Charles but that's what I reckon Martin will do.

Definitely can't see him dropping A Armstrong - I know many would but his stats are phenomenal this season.  Has anyone else got more goal contributions?

It would be very hard / almost unthinkable NOT To start Joe Rothwell after his match winning performance Saturday. 

If so then that conveniently allows time for Flynns injury to repair itself- hopefully in time for WBA. IF Flynn is fit he must always start, he’s that important to how we play. 

I would also, more controversially, rest Stu for this one and put Shea in but as the DM. Stu has been ok - but not quite at his top level recently. Time for a breather imo. 

I would also, consider resting Che and playing either Sekou central or more preferably Brooks RW with AA going central. I say more preferably because I loved that pass Brooks made to Joe for second goal and I’d like to think they got an instant understanding already PLUS Sekou has showed he comes on as a sub- he scores. 

Much dependent on how Bristol set up. It should be there expected sitting back with a low block but maybe Huddersfield has given them ideas in which case Russ may adapt accordingly. 
NB if it IS a low block then expect Che to start as his hold up play will be at a premium when there’s not much space in behind. 

Edited by gio1saints

Hopefully Rothwell in for Stu Armstrong, Charles in for Downes, Mara in for Adams and who knows who will play wide forwards. Edozie, Brooks, Adam Armstrong, Fraser all have strong claims to their spots.

• Like 1

Hello from a Bristol City fan

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted later today.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans (sorry for the short notice) so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

It would be very hard / almost unthinkable NOT To start Joe Rothwell after his match winning performance Saturday. 

If so then that conveniently allows time for Flynns injury to repair itself- hopefully in time for WBA. IF Flynn is fit he must always start, he’s that important to how we play. 

I would also, more controversially, rest Stu for this one and put Shea in but as the DM. Stu has been ok - but not quite at his top level recently. Time for a breather imo. 

I would also, consider resting Che and playing either Sekou central or more preferably Brooks RW with AA going central. I say more preferably because I loved that pass Brooks made to Joe for second goal and I’d like to think they got an instant understanding already PLUS Sekou has showed he comes on as a sub- he scores. 

Much dependent on how Bristol set up. It should be there expected sitting back with a low block but maybe Huddersfield has given them ideas in which case Russ may adapt accordingly. 
NB if it IS a low block then expect Che to start as his hold up play will be at a premium when there’s not much space in behind. 

How will RM know whether Brizzle will play a low block before the teams are announced - even after he might not have much idea?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted later today.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans (sorry for the short notice) so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, etc.

@Wade Garrett to the forum, repeat, @Wade Garrettto the forum.

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Been rather busy with work these past few weeks to pay much attention - just seen that this is on Sky tomorrow night.

Pancakes and Football - makes a change.

Let's hope the pancakes are the only things that are flat tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Otherwise they’ll be a few saints fans that flip, hopefully we won’t be as bitter as the lemons!

I’ll get my coat…

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Otherwise they’ll be a few saints fans that flip, hopefully we won’t be as bitter as the lemons!

I’ll get my coat…

As long as the ref isn't a tosser we should be fine

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

Martin: "Downes will miss tomorrow but won't be out for long"

Good news!

That’s a huge relief, I wonder if there’s a chance he can be back for Friday? Said he was similar to Che but that Che in particular would be assessed ahead of tomorrow and definitely back for Friday.

55 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

You were the only team to do the double over us in 2011-2012 and we still got promoted so we good. We good. For now...

Just now, goodymatt said:

That’s a huge relief, I wonder if there’s a chance he can be back for Friday? Said he was similar to Che but that Che in particular would be assessed ahead of tomorrow and definitely back for Friday.

The vibe that Martin was giving off is that Downes would only miss this one game, but he wasn't explicit about it

Btw, anyone know who the Northern Irish fella was that opened up the press conference this time? And any reason Adam Blackmore was 'relegated' to second in line with fewer questions than usual? (just my idle curiosity)

Edited by trousers

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

Btw, anyone know who the Northern Irish fella was that opened up the press conference this time? And any reason Adam Blackmore was 'relegated' to second in line with fewer questions than usual? (just my idle curiosity)

The game is on Sky so I’m assuming they get priority.

grumble grumble something about Television ruining football grumble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Because of our ability to hang around in the top flight and your failure to get there, we've played each other just 10 times in the last 44 years. So, for a large chunk of both fanbases, there are very few memorable games to discuss. I've been to nine of those ten games and the only game that sticks in my mind is the 2-0 defeat at your place in 2009. A very young Morgan Schneiderlin was one of many Saints players that looked ill equipped to cope with championship football and in a fit of rage, due to his abject display, I wrote him off completely as a player that day (how wrong can you be?).

There haven't been too many players to represent both sides either. Joe Jordan and Russell Osman have a special place in the heart of Saints fans of a certain age. I am sure you will put me right, but I suspect City fans may feel the same about them both too. Perhaps less so Stern John, who was well liked for his goals here, despite his minimal workrate. With goals in short supply, his lack of movement may have been more noticeable at your place?

As for this season, well, despite the obvious advantage the parachute payments bring, I think a lot of Saints fans thought we would struggle to turn a sinking ship around, but the gap between the two leagues really shows. Once we recovered from losing James Ward-Prowse, our loanees started to settle and we got to grips with Russell Martin's possession-based approach, we have not looked back. Our side has a lot of quality at this level and no shortage of flair in the final third. Unfortunately for you, the additions of Brooks and the return of Sulemana have made us even stronger in that area. However, an injury on Saturday to the extremely important Flynn Downes (and to a lesser degree Stuart Armstrong) could throw a spanner in the works. Seeing as you beat us twice during our last promotion season, the only side to do so, it wouldn't surprise me if you brought an end to our 25 game unbeaten run this week. With leeds winning a lot of games, it looks like we need to win every game to get automatic promotion, but the odd draw here and there are bound to happen and that's my prediction, a 1-1 draw. Best of luck.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, saintant said:

How will RM know whether Brizzle will play a low block before the teams are announced - even after he might not have much idea?

It’s not often Managers are “surprised” at how the opposition initially set up. A surprising amount of work goes on behind the scenes before matches and indeed all season analysing other teams matches so that Manager can be as best prepared as possible. 
It’s a guess but that’s why he’s the manager and not you or I - he will get that guess right more often. 

Usually I’m all for keeping a settled team but since this comes so fast after Saturday let’s switch it up a bit and get some of the others involved 

Baz

kwp.      Thb bed.       Mannning

Charles 

Smallbone rothwell

brooks                           Sule

Mara 

12 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Usually I’m all for keeping a settled team but since this comes so fast after Saturday let’s switch it up a bit and get some of the others involved 

Baz

Charles 

Smallbone rothwell

Mara 

This looks good but surely if Fraser isn’t playing then Edozie deserves to start over Sulemana?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Baz

Charles 

Smallbone rothwell

Mara 

We definitely need that midfield. The rhythm of the passing at Watford was so slow without both  Downes and Smallbone.  Charles is currently a bit slower with his passing but hopefully will provide more defensive cover. 

Not sure I would change the forward line so much, I think I would go AA Adams and Edozie to start with . Having the other 3 plus Fraser to come on if you need it is a nice feeling.  

18 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

This looks good but surely if Fraser isn’t playing then Edozie deserves to start over Sulemana?

Can see where you are coming from, but I’d chose sully cos I think he has the highest ceiling out of any of our attacking players. His pace and unpredictability gives the opponents something else to think about .

russ was also preferring him to both Fraser and edozie before the injury too so he must rate him highly 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Martin: "Downes will miss tomorrow but won't be out for long"

Good news!

Yeah but I interpreted his comments as meaning Downes will miss both this weeks games as a minimum and Adams will miss just tomorrows.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

It’s not often Managers are “surprised” at how the opposition initially set up. A surprising amount of work goes on behind the scenes before matches and indeed all season analysing other teams matches so that Manager can be as best prepared as possible. 
It’s a guess but that’s why he’s the manager and not you or I - he will get that guess right more often. 

Ironically RM admitted on today's presser that he got his assessment of how Huddersfield would play completely wrong.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Can see where you are coming from, but I’d chose sully cos I think he has the highest ceiling out of any of our attacking players. His pace and unpredictability gives the opponents something else to think about .

russ was also preferring him to both Fraser and edozie before the injury too so he must rate him highly 

This is all true, but Edozie's form really took off after Sully got injured and was performing better than KS had been by the time he got cynically taken out  at Norwich.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah but I interpreted his comments as meaning Downes will miss both this weeks games as a minimum and Adams will miss just tomorrows.

Aye, could be, but good news that he's not going to be out long term, which I think people were fearing

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I'm a fan of Sulemana too but if you look at the output of both Edozie and Fraser, they've both outperformed Sulemana.  I think he'll need to win his place back and I would have him as a sub option for now, plus Edozie is a little further ahead in terms of fitness.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Because of our ability to hang around in the top flight and your failure to get there, we've played each other just 10 times in the last 44 years. So, for a large chunk of both fanbases, there are very few memorable games to discuss. I've been to nine of those ten games and the only game that sticks in my mind is the 2-0 defeat at your place in 2009. A very young Morgan Schneiderlin was one of many Saints players that looked ill equipped to cope with championship football and in a fit of rage, due to his abject display, I wrote him off completely as a player that day (how wrong can you be?).

There haven't been too many players to represent both sides either. Joe Jordan and Russell Osman have a special place in the heart of Saints fans of a certain age. I am sure you will put me right, but I suspect City fans may feel the same about them both too. Perhaps less so Stern John, who was well liked for his goals here, despite his minimal workrate. With goals in short supply, his lack of movement may have been more noticeable at your place?

As for this season, well, despite the obvious advantage the parachute payments bring, I think a lot of Saints fans thought we would struggle to turn a sinking ship around, but the gap between the two leagues really shows. Once we recovered from losing James Ward-Prowse, our loanees started to settle and we got to grips with Russell Martin's possession-based approach, we have not looked back. Our side has a lot of quality at this level and no shortage of flair in the final third. Unfortunately for you, the additions of Brooks and the return of Sulemana have made us even stronger in that area. However, an injury on Saturday to the extremely important Flynn Downes (and to a lesser degree Stuart Armstrong) could throw a spanner in the works. Seeing as you beat us twice during our last promotion season, the only side to do so, it wouldn't surprise me if you brought an end to our 25 game unbeaten run this week. With leeds winning a lot of games, it looks like we need to win every game to get automatic promotion, but the odd draw here and there are bound to happen and that's my prediction, a 1-1 draw. Best of luck.

Thank you Chez, out match thread is now live.

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you Chez, out match thread is now live.

A player played for both sides… standup Richard Dryden, now there’s a player!

I think he ‘played’ about 50 games over five years for Saints and when not injured was pretty clueless. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic