Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

29 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I've got Preston to win 1-0 at 20/1 which is decent odds. Plus got them at 15/2 to win. Don't worry lads my bets rarely come in 😬

Weirdly I find it hard to bet directly against Saints.

I'll happily pop money on our rivals to jinx them, though.

There was a year in the Prem (multiple, probably) where we’d constantly throw away leads so I’d throw a tenner on whenever we were 1 goal up with about 15 to go. Happy to hold on or a few extra quid for the evening

Haven’t bothered this year other than my £10 on Alcaraz Championship top goalscorer at 100/1 though which I thought was genius at the time

• Haha 2

I reckon there may be a few changes tonight to get some fresher legs in from the start.

Maybe Stuey, Edozie and Rothwell coming in? Will also be interesting to see if Downes continues to start or whether it's felt he needs a rest at some point..

10 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

3 match ban set to be confirmed for Mara today. Off the ball incident... did he try and run or something?

That's interesting. The people around us in the ground didn't see it on the weekend, but he took a huge swing at one of the watford defenders who went down all off the ball. I looked at the ref (who didn't see it), then at the linesman (who didn't) - I couldn't believe he'd got away with it. No idea if he made contact, but assume he did from the reaction (although who knows these days with players being dishonest)... regardless, he was silly to take the swing and we're bloody lucky he didn't get caught in the game!

• Like 1

Just now, coalman said:

Pros: Bednarek and THB. Aribo and Downes. Charles on the bench.

Cons: Brooks.

Plenty good enough to win this. COYR

Brooks needs to put a full shift in tonight 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Hmm, surprised Brooks gets the nod again but very happy to see that back four, and what I believe is the strongest midfield

There were some moments on Saturday where you could see the tremendous quality he posesses. There was a chipped cross that was exquisite, fantastic control under pressure and flicks inside to keep a move flowing. Defensively he's usually shit, but I can see why RM wants him in the side. On a good day he's just a better player than the other options. Let's hope tonight is one of those good days.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

decent team and looks the most balanced - maybe swap fraser for brooks 

Yep, half a case for Edozie as well. 

Decent side overall though. Our best back 4 and midfield.

Scrappy 2-1 win, and breathing right down Leeds and Leicester's necks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

There were some moments on Saturday where you could see the tremendous quality he posesses. There was a chipped cross that was exquisite, fantastic control under pressure and flicks inside to keep a move flowing. Defensively he's usually shit, but I can see why RM wants him in the side. On a good day he's just a better player than the other options. Let's hope tonight is one of those good days.

Completely agree, he's a player with potential quality above this league but I just think I'd have given Edozie a shot tonight

Weirdly underused in recent times, not for the first spell this season

1 minute ago, chownie20 said:

Wondered if it may be wise to give Downes a rest for this one,  bur equally if you have to win a match you play your key players.

Not for me, he's arguably our most important player. I'd play him every time he's available to play. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Wondered if it may be wise to give Downes a rest for this one,  bur equally if you have to win a match you play your key players.

Why? Theres only 5 games left he’s one of our most important players and we have to win 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Not for me, he's arguably our most important player. I'd play him every time he's available to play. 

There is no arguement. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Is real. Limped out of the warm-up and then RM came out to talk to the players on the pitch, presumably about a change in tactics somewhat?

Not the greatest of timing. If you thought we play it risky with playing it around at the back wait until later tonight with AMc

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic