Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread

goodymatt

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would take a scrappy 1-0 win.

Deep down I think this’ll be similar to the Rotherham home game, I think we’ll dominate the ball but do something silly at the back. 1-1.

If we dominate the ball that in itself is victory enough!

🎶 "Woke up this morning feeling fine....." 🎶

Football's back, don't let us down Saints. Sold out over a week ago, all seats sold on the ticket exchange (bet there's still empty ones at the front of the Itchen to nark those that couldn't get one), 1,600 smoggies coming down who'll make a racket. Hope everyone's up for it and don't forget the 77th min applause for big Chris.

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Hello Southampton ! 🇬🇧🤝🇲🇫

20240329_090203.jpg

Bro for the love of god don't bring valenciennes league form to st marys 🤣

I hope you have a good day and see some sexy high scoring football, preferable from us.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Hold our nerve and we can finish third, wobble and we could be fourth or even fifth. Automatics, for me, went with B City and Millwall. What wouldn't we give for another six points on that league table.

We're not going to be finishing fifth for exactly the same reasons we're not finishing second.

Is there any data to back up the commonly held assumption that we are "always terrible after a long break" or is it one of those myths that's developed with no facts to back it up?

Just wondered if anyone knew that this was categorically the case. I can't be arsed to go back over results to check.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is there any data to back up the commonly held assumption that we are "always terrible after a long break" or is it one of those myths that's developed with no facts to back it up?

Just wondered if anyone knew that this was categorically the case. I can't be arsed to go back over results to check.

err, yes

Nathan Jones admits Southampton rebuild will take time after narrowly ...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Probably like <insert player> is guaranteed as always scores against us, ignoring all the times they didnt.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

'If', we could win our 8 remaining matches it's still out of our hands.

8 wins takes us to 103 points and c43 GD

Ipswich have 8 games, lose to us and they can only reach 102 points.

Leics have 9 games, lose to us and they can reach 106 points and c55 GD.

Leeds have 8 games, lose to us and they can reach 103 points and c55 GD.

None of Leeds/Leics/Ipswich play each other.

Basically we need snookers and then some, and to win eight strait including away games v all three teams around us. 

Hold our nerve and we can finish third, wobble and we could be fourth or even fifth. Automatics, for me, went with B City and Millwall. What wouldn't we give for another six points on that league table.

West brom are on track for 80 points. That means we would need less than a point a game for the rest of the season. Isn't going to happen. 

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Probably like <insert player> is guaranteed as always scores against us, ignoring all the times they didnt.

Clubs wait until they are playing us next before they appoint their new manager. Every new manager's first match is against us. Always.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Clubs wait until they are playing us next before they appoint their new manager. Every new manager's first match is against us. Always.

We only ever lose 9-0 when Friday, raining and on Sky

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

It's one of those things that every club's fans believes about their club. Like referees hate them, their manager has "no plan B", the club has "no ambition" etc. All commonly held beliefs by various clubs' fans unless your team is one of the big 6 or having a really good season. The other one is that teams always lose after the manager wins manager of the month. 

Didn't our 8-0 win over Sunderland come off the back of an international break? I'm not 100% on that but I'm a good 85% or so.

On a historical note; Every time I hear the name Middlesboro, (a team we haven't played so often over several decades).. my mind often goes

back to a legendary match played in November 1963. 

A typically poor start to the season had seen Saints in bottom place for the first 10 games, but following the signing of 3 experienced players

(George Kirby, David Burnside and Welsh international right back Stuart Williams ) Ted Bates' side started to pick up points and pulled themselves

up to a heady 18th place ( there were 22 clubs in Div.2 at that time) and following a 3-5 thrashing at the Dell at the hands of a good Cardiff outfit,

on the previous Saturday , Saints now had a midweek fixture v. Middlesboro'. 

CF George Kirby, a former  Everton junior who never quite made it in the top tier, was now in his 4th club with Saints.   At 6 feet tall (which was

a giant in those days).. he was a tough no-nonsense striker who took his role seriously but with a broad smile as he harassed goalkeepers, and generally

made a nuisance of himself to opposing defenders. After a dull and goalless first half Kirby sprang into life and  scored a hat-trick in just 4 minutes. 

(This would stand as a club record for over 50 years until  Sadio Mane's effort at  2min 56s.  a few seasons ago). The Boro players were shocked into 

a daze as Saints continued to punish the visitors with 2 goals from George O'Brien (both with assists from the excellent David Burnside), and finally 

Terry Paine completing the rout (as only he could )... by dribbling his way past several  Boro' defenders ..and scoring the sixth goal of the evening. 6-0.

It was bright moment in what was to be a remarkable season, as it became the memorable  " Big Freeze winter " with no games between Boxing Day

and mid-February, but with the re-start Saints steadied the ship whilst embarking on the legendary FA Cup run that took us to the Semi Final, with

Ted Bates keeping an almost unchanged side throughout, and we finished a respectable 11th place, whilst playing the last 8 games in 22 days in May.

I don't expect to see anything like 6 goals today, but that memory will stay with me forever.

23 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

On a historical note; Every time I hear the name Middlesboro, (a team we haven't played so often over several decades).. my mind often goes

A typically poor start to the season had seen Saints in bottom place for the first 10 games, but following the signing of 3 experienced players

(George Kirby, David Burnside and Welsh international right back Stuart Williams ) Ted Bates' side started to pick up points and pulled themselves

up to a heady 18th place ( there were 22 clubs in Div.2 at that time) and following a 3-5 thrashing at the Dell at the hands of a good Cardiff outfit,

on the previous Saturday , Saints now had a midweek fixture v. Middlesboro'. 

CF George Kirby, a former  Everton junior who never quite made it in the top tier, was now in his 4th club with Saints.   At 6 feet tall (which was

a giant in those days).. he was a tough no-nonsense striker who took his role seriously but with a broad smile as he harassed goalkeepers, and generally

made a nuisance of himself to opposing defenders. After a dull and goalless first half Kirby sprang into life and  scored a hat-trick in just 4 minutes. 

(This would stand as a club record for over 50 years until  Sadio Mane's effort at  2min 56s.  a few seasons ago). The Boro players were shocked into 

a daze as Saints continued to punish the visitors with 2 goals from George O'Brien (both with assists from the excellent David Burnside), and finally 

Terry Paine completing the rout (as only he could )... by dribbling his way past several  Boro' defenders ..and scoring the sixth goal of the evening. 6-0.

It was bright moment in what was to be a remarkable season, as it became the memorable  " Big Freeze winter " with no games between Boxing Day

and mid-February, but with the re-start Saints steadied the ship whilst embarking on the legendary FA Cup run that took us to the Semi Final, with

Ted Bates keeping an almost unchanged side throughout, and we finished a respectable 11th place, whilst playing the last 8 games in 22 days in May.

I don't expect to see anything like 6 goals today, but that memory will stay with me forever.

Great read. I started supporting Saints in the 04/05 season and it's a darn site more pleasant than the memory I associate Boro with...

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Over the last few seasons we've been terrible so if you were to look at any point of the season then it's likely we were going to be pretty terrible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Shoe-Horning Stephens in - Check...

Joking...but thankfully, looks like to be in a normal CB position, as opposed to some sort of pound-shop John Stones role

Agreed. Much rather have him at centre back if one of the others is missing. 

On paper that’s an impressive 18. Assuming Fraser, Jan and Brooks aren’t quite ready it’s almost exactly what I’d go for. My only quibbles are a) Edozie has done far more to earn a starting spot over Sulemana and b) why no Charles on the bench in lieu of 3 wingers? 
Still should be enough … so I guess I’m going to be miserable in about 150 minutes 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Nice memory David.

For me, "Middlesbrough" conjures up two immediate memories of away games i was fortunate enough to attend~:

Jan 1981 - 1-0 win at Ayresome Park , going top of the league for the first time in our history

May 2012 - Riverside, losing 2-1 in the promotion run in. Still beyond belief their defender wasn't sent off at 1-1 when pulling back Lallana when clean through on goal.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Friday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic