Leeds Away - Time to make a stand and Boycott?

Dman

Prices have been released for the Leeds away fixture at the end of the season, probably unsurprising, they're absolutely fleecing us at £47 a ticket. 

Is it time for us to say enough is enough and just simply boycott? It'll be a dead rubber for us anyway and will almost certainly be on TV - Sounds like a good opportunity to get a bit of media attention about why there are zero away fans there. 

This is saints though, 3,000 will rock up, groan but stand in silence for 90 minutes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

Prices have been released for the Leeds away fixture at the end of the season, probably unsurprising, they're absolutely fleecing us at £47 a ticket. 

Is it time for us to say enough is enough and just simply boycott? It'll be a dead rubber for us anyway and will almost certainly be on TV - Sounds like a good opportunity to get a bit of media attention about why there are zero away fans there. 

This is saints though, 3,000 will rock up, groan but stand in silence for 90 minutes. 

3k definitely won't rock up as they've only given us 2k which is the minimum needed to be given (despite us giving them 3k at £30).

There's no way i'd be going personally if i hadn't already bought train tickets, absolute disgrace of pricing

1 minute ago, franniesTache said:

3k definitely won't rock up as they've only given us 2k which is the minimum needed to be given (despite us giving them 3k at £30).

There's no way i'd be going personally if i hadn't already bought train tickets, absolute disgrace of pricing

Leeds is a great city - why let the football ruin the day... use that £50 for a few beers 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Isn't the pricing for away games set by the home team?

As for boycotting the game, I'm not sure what stand you are trying to make, is it the cost or the performances?

If you're trying to be funny, all you've done is made yourself look a bit thick... well done. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

If you're trying to be funny, all you've done is made yourself look a bit thick... well done. 

Lol, Doubt you will be going anyway if this post is anything to go by 🤣

I don't get the opportunity to go to as many away games as I would like (actually, probably wouldn't) anymore, but Blackburn being one of the very few new gorunds for me, I couldn't resist. 

Keyboard protester 😴

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Another example of us accommodating the away team too much. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Lol, Doubt you will be going anyway if this post is anything to go by 🤣

I don't get the opportunity to go to as many away games as I would like (actually, probably wouldn't) anymore, but Blackburn being one of the very few new gorunds for me, I couldn't resist. 

Keyboard protester 😴

Great input Micky boy... Do you agree with the £47 adult ticket price? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Ok, sure.

Wasnt trying to be funny, and no need to be rude. 

I rarely post these days, as cant be arsed with posts like yours, I was simply asking a Q. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Going by train ? Good chance won't make it anyway !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

Isn't this time for Saints to step up and absorb the £17 difference on what we charged Leeds?

They shouldn't have to though. Its not Saints fault that Leeds are a bunch of twats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.6dcfc44eb2bc3a2c7d17da0d08378854.jpeg

£47 for a championship game is ridiculous, but Leeds sell out all the time (they have a 20k waiting list for season tickets), so the demand is there and thus they can charge higher prices. Could have a been a winner take all game. £47 would have been just about swallowable if that was the case.  

They are charging the same price they charge their own fans to sit in the West stand for a Cat A game. I can't quite remember, but I think that's the rule: you can't charge more than equivalent seats for home fans tickets (we can't return the favour next season). They could charge less of course.

It feels a bit out of order to charge away fans more than they charge their own fans sitting in the North and South stands (behind the goals). It's not as though the West stand corner is a better place to watch. Also, season tickets make individual match tickets about £20 a game, so how many Leeds fans are actually paying £47 for their seats in the west stand I don't know. 

I don't think it's fair that Leeds only offer 2000 tickets to away fans when they have a capacity of about 38k. But that seems to be quite common these days. the 10% thing goes out the window (by design) if the position of the aways fans is such that its not easy to segregate. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Difficult to convince some fans that "enough is enough", especially fans that are now well used to paying Prem-sized ticket prices. I think a lot of Saints fans will grumble, but buy a ticket - it's not a very united or militant set of away fans (not many clubs have them). Your idea is laudable too, but I am not sure a boycott would achieve much. Leeds will probably just say "thanks" and sell the seats to their own fans desperate to see the game. The championship gets sod all coverage, so it will probably go totally unnoticed anyway.

I am not sure what the solution is. No one gives a fuck about football fans, (especially away fans) even the football league, so all you can do is vote with your feet and not go. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6dcfc44eb2bc3a2c7d17da0d08378854.jpeg

£47 for a championship game is ridiculous, but Leeds sell out all the time (they have a 20k waiting list for season tickets), so the demand is there and thus they can charge higher prices. Could have a been a winner take all game. £47 would have been just about swallowable if that was the case.  

They are charging the same price they charge their own fans to sit in the West stand for a Cat A game. I can't quite remember, but I think that's the rule: you can't charge more than equivalent seats for home fans tickets (we can't return the favour next season). They could charge less of course.

It feels a bit out of order to charge away fans more than they charge their own fans sitting in the North and South stands (behind the goals). It's not as though the West stand corner is a better place to watch. Also, season tickets make individual match tickets about £20 a game, so how many Leeds fans are actually paying £47 for their seats in the west stand I don't know. 

I don't think it's fair that Leeds only offer 2000 tickets to away fans when they have a capacity of about 38k. But that seems to be quite common these days. the 10% thing goes out the window (by design) if the position of the aways fans is such that its not easy to segregate. 

Great analysis. Yes, where has this 10% thing gone? Last year, clubs like Arsenal were taking the take the mickey and only giving out some 2,000 tickets to away supporters despite their 60k capacity. And Newcastle are a disgrace where they put away fans. Nowadays clubs blame logistical and segregation difficulties which is a convenient excuse, and I get them in the premiership giving out smaller allocations when there's a £30 cap on away tickets, but not in the championship.

In an ideal world, Leeds should be offering us 3,800 tickets and then it's up to our club to decide how many to take and make up any shortfall for unsold tickets. If Leeds ever come our way again, I'd hope we reciprocate by offering them a minimal allocation at inflated prices, or better still, make a statement and ban them altogether.  

I find it mad how we've got this far into the season - with only three away games left - and people still don't understand that the 10% of allocation rule is for clubs that have ground capacities below 20k.

The rule for away allocations in this division is 10% of capacity up to 2k tickets. So far any ground over 20k you only have to give 2k, unless the club decide to do otherwise (which we have for most games).

Just because we gave leeds 3k tickets doesn't mean they in anyway to do the same for us.

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 4

You're right, I keep forgetting the 20k ceiling then after that, it's up to the club how many tickets they offer above 2,000. But the principle is still there. Offer 10% of capacity and get a good atmosphere going. 

But if Leeds fuck us over and only offer the 2k minimum, we need to think of seriously good ways to get our own back. Quip pro quo and all that.

25 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

You're right, I keep forgetting the 20k ceiling then after that, it's up to the club how many tickets they offer above 2,000. But the principle is still there. Offer 10% of capacity and get a good atmosphere going. 

But if Leeds fuck us over and only offer the 2k minimum, we need to think of seriously good ways to get our own back. Quip pro quo and all that.

Not sure they will really need us to get a good atmosphere going at their promotion parade?

I would say Leeds is probably one of the best 'aways' there is (which still doesn't justify a smaller allocation and higher prices). 

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What happened to the 20s plenty rule? I swear away tickets were capped at £20.

Nope, never happened. 

30 cap in the premier league, but there’s never been a 20 cap. 

Apparently Leeds contact all the clubs at the start of season and ask if they'll agree to a price cap for both games.

We must have said no.

So rather than both teams making it £30 for away fans we both charge the price of an equivalent seat in the home end.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Leeds cap it at £21 if both teams agree. At least that's according to a Leeds fan I know.

I know when Cardiff went there they just charged Cardiff £24 which was same price Leeds paid in Wales, not really sure how they work it out or what the catch is but would be nice for Saints to at least explain why they didn't agree to it. 

I'll definitely be swerving this, watching Leeds celebrating promotion with loads of them in our end would be horrific. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What happened to the 20s plenty rule? I swear away tickets were capped at £20.

Is that not the speed limit change?

Walking pace if you're in the Saints midfield. 🙂

Yup, I had that second line, and I wasn't for wasting it. 🙂

3 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I find it mad how we've got this far into the season - with only three away games left - and people still don't understand that the 10% of allocation rule is for clubs that have ground capacities below 20k.

The rule for away allocations in this division is 10% of capacity up to 2k tickets. So far any ground over 20k you only have to give 2k, unless the club decide to do otherwise (which we have for most games).

Just because we gave leeds 3k tickets doesn't mean they in anyway to do the same for us.

Yeah I'm surprised so many have missed that 2k is the maximum in the EFL rather than 3k. Loads of games we've only had that many.

Would like to see us only offer 2k for the play off game and definitely for those cunts down the road next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Apparently Leeds contact all the clubs at the start of season and ask if they'll agree to a price cap for both games.

We must have said no.

So rather than both teams making it £30 for away fans we both charge the price of an equivalent seat in the home end.

Leeds fans were charged £30, the same as Saints fans in the Northam. 

So, the £47 price is down to SFC.

If SFC had charged Leeds fans £21, then Saints fans would have been charged £21, but our club charged the maximum of £30, so now our fans have to pay their maximum of £47. 

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Leeds cap it at £21 if both teams agree. At least that's according to a Leeds fan I know.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I know when Cardiff went there they just charged Cardiff £24 which was same price Leeds paid in Wales, not really sure how they work it out or what the catch is but would be nice for Saints to at least explain why they didn't agree to it. 

I'll definitely be swerving this, watching Leeds celebrating promotion with loads of them in our end would be horrific. 

It was £21 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-announce-reciprocal-ticket-pricing-offer-with-cardiff-city-ahead-of-championship-opener-at-elland-road-4225729

8 hours ago, revolution saint said:

What stand are we making?  I'd quite like a replica Archers Road although I'd settle for Milton Road.

8 hours ago, rallyboy said:

They've got a stand named after Boycott?

Great banter. Just downgraded your tickets to kids, saved yourselves a good few quid. 

• Haha 1

I think Saints set the tone in this unfortunately which is quite believable given they knew 3K would come for the game at SMS. This game will probably be a damp squib anyway and RM will play some bizarre formation with Stephen’s as an inverted striker.

Seen this reciprocal pricing thing mentioned a few times and people said Saints must have not agreed to it. 

Do we know for definite that we were offered it in the first place given that Leeds might have looked at it being the last game of the season which away fans usually travel well for and are in fine voice, between two promotion chasing sides, in good weather, and thought they'd rather not try and give us a boost by offering a larger allocation at lower prices? 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Seen this reciprocal pricing thing mentioned a few times and people said Saints must have not agreed to it. 

Do we know for definite that we were offered it in the first place given that Leeds might have looked at it being the last game of the season which away fans usually travel well for and are in fine voice, between two promotion chasing sides, in good weather, and thought they'd rather not try and give us a boost by offering a larger allocation at lower prices? 

Yes, we were offered it. Leeds made a point of mentioning that we refused the agreement when they sold tickets for the match at SMS. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Yes, we were offered it. Leeds made a point of mentioning that we refused the agreement when they sold tickets for the match at SMS. 

Fair enough. Bunch of idiots in charge of ticketing then, as per. 

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

According to Alfie House...

Leeds United offered Saints reciprocal pricing at the start of the season but suggested £15, which was deemed unreasonable by the club.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24237786.leeds-united-charging-southampton-fans-47-away-tickets/

45 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

According to Alfie House...

Leeds United offered Saints reciprocal pricing at the start of the season but suggested £15, which was deemed unreasonable by the club.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24237786.leeds-united-charging-southampton-fans-47-away-tickets/

£15 tickets would've meant the club lost around £48k for one game (based on the £30 we charged). This was at a time when the club were making redundancies and had about a £90m loss for the season before.

You can see why that would be deemed unacceptable to Saints to be honest.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll subsidise travel for this one? With the high ticket cost and the fact it's unlikely to mean anything to us it would be a good way of rewarding some of the fans who go week in week out.

Personally I find the travel club lot quite tedious at away games but you can't fault their commitment so something like £10 for the coach would be a decent touch.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I wonder if they'll subsidise travel for this one? With the high ticket cost and the fact it's unlikely to mean anything to us it would be a good way of rewarding some of the fans who go week in week out.

Personally I find the travel club lot quite tedious at away games but you can't fault their commitment so something like £10 for the coach would be a decent touch.

Nah they're charging £44 on the bingo bus leaving at 5.15am , fair play to anyone making the trip! 

I'm not seeing Saints at fault here. The offer from Leeds was basically, make a loss and give us really cheap tickets, or we might charge you loads. Even without the agreement they could have charged us the same as we charged them (30), but instead they are making a choice not to. Dirty Leeds. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, saintstowin said:

I'm not seeing Saints at fault here. The offer from Leeds was basically, make a loss and give us really cheap tickets, or we might charge you loads. Even without the agreement they could have charged us the same as we charged them (30), but instead they are making a choice not to. Dirty Leeds. 

Indeed, it's a token gesture from them to make them appear as though they care about the fans, when there isn't a single professional football club in 2024 that does. Hence they charge their own fans £47 to watch Championship football. They said £15, or £47. From one extreme to the other. Leeds would make up the shortfall from the £15 pricing because they have a bigger stadium and would grant us a bigger allocation than what we could offer Leeds.

You'd imagine we made a counter offer and asked them to meet in the middle at £30, which they would have then declined, going to their £47 tickets, but announced how it was horrible Southampton who stopped the reciprocal pricing. 

They were too loud in pleading their innocence, when the only information from Southampton has come from Alfie House and it looks like it was only their terms, or no terms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish clubs would be better at rewarding individual loyalty. If you really want to go to Leeds and it's your first game ever, maybe it's £50. But if you've followed Saints to a swathe of away games, it should be discounted.