Stu Armstrong

Dman

Looked a nasty one, most likely an ACL. 

He was off at the end of the season, I wonder if we’ll offer him a new deal given his service (the right thing to do). Although I Wouldn’t be surprised if that was him and he calls it a day 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Looked a nasty one, most likely an ACL. 

He was off at the end of the season, I wonder if we’ll offer him a new deal given his service (the right thing to do). Although I Wouldn’t be surprised if that was him and he calls it a day 

He's not some military veteran, his service has been very handsomely paid for throughout his many years here. I hope we give him full use of our facilities and physios to help recover but to be paying him some sort of wage to not play for us, when we really need to cut back on the wage bill anyway, would be madness.

• Like 19

I've loved Stu's time with us, he's been a really good player during some pretty bleak moments. He's not a world beater by any means, but has always done a job for us. I think he got ill around Christmas of the 20/21 season and he's quite simply never ever been the same player. When he has his bursts forward he's great, has fantastic moments of quality, but just cannot handle any longer than an hour of pro football anymore - I'm sure he knows it.

I personally feel gutted for him as he will likely lose his final shot at an international tournament which doesn't seem fair. He's obviously out of contract too so he has some serious career decisions to make at this point. If he weighs it up (he cannot last longer than 60 mins anymore) and if he's got a serious 12 month+ ACL, he really needs to be considering retirement and focusing on what he wants to do after football - which I think is law, he's a pretty clever bloke by all accounts.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I've loved Stu's time with us, he's been a really good player during some pretty bleak moments. He's not a world beater by any means, but has always done a job for us. I think he got ill around Christmas of the 20/21 season and he's quite simply never ever been the same player. When he has his bursts forward he's great, has fantastic moments of quality, but just cannot handle any longer than an hour of pro football anymore - I'm sure he knows it.

I personally feel gutted for him as he will likely lose his final shot at an international tournament which doesn't seem fair. He's obviously out of contract too so he has some serious career decisions to make at this point. If he weighs it up (he cannot last longer than 60 mins anymore) and if he's got a serious 12 month+ ACL, he really needs to be considering retirement and focusing on what he wants to do after football - which I think is law, he's a pretty clever bloke by all accounts.

It was COVID. Was never quite the same after he caught it.

Probably my favourite player of this era, had plenty days where it looked like nobody could get anywhere close to him, including the first half against Preston the other day

Horrible he's missing the Euros as well, and any chance of landing a 2/3 year deal in Scotland which was probably the aim

• Like 2

More gutted about this than the result for some reason.

He’s been a good player ( not great but good) for us and I enjoyed watching him play. 

He showed his quality in the Preston game where he looked a class apart.

Made the goal look easy.

If he’s played his late game for us then best of luck to him - would have been nice for him to sign off in the play of final but wasn’t to be. 

• Like 7

His goal v Coventry in the Cup a few years ago was a class apart. If he is now done, that will be my memory of him.

Hope his can recover from this horrible injury, no player deserves to be 'retired' like that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

Russell just confirmed at the pre match press conference that it's not as bad as they feared.... Quad muscle rather than knee injury... Good chance he can be fit for the Euros. 

Great news for him - I really hope the club give him the send off he deserves on Saturday. Solid player for us and a top bloke. 

He was outstanding for a year or 2 under Ralph. 

• Like 3

On 20/04/2024 at 22:35, Galway saint said:

He’s been a good player ( not great but good) for us and I enjoyed watching him play.

That might be true over his whole time with us but there was at least one season when he was our best player. I remember looking at his age and thinking "I hope we have a plan to replace him". We didn't, his form fell off after Covid and that was one of the reasons we went down

Great news, he did not deserve an end like that. I hope we give him all the help he needs to get to the Euro's, then if he has a good Euro's he'll have a pick of clubs in the summer now he's not going to be injured.

I can see him back at Celtic, could be a great move for him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Great news, he did not deserve an end like that. I hope we give him all the help he needs to get to the Euro's, then if he has a good Euro's he'll have a pick of clubs in the summer now he's not going to be injured.

I can see him back at Celtic, could be a great move for him.

Is it not completely out of the question that we might offer something if we don't go up?

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is it not completely out of the question that we might offer something if we don't go up?

Depends what his aspirations are I guess, but in my opinion if any of our out of contract guys were sticking around (Che/Stu/McCarthy) then they'd have signed by now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Depends what his aspirations are I guess, but in my opinion if any of our out of contract guys were sticking around (Che/Stu/McCarthy) then they'd have signed by now.

Might have been waiting to see if we were/are promoted so they could potentially get a premier league contract and not a championship one

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Of the three mentioned, to be honest he is the only one I can see sticking around. 

My favourite player and will be a huge miss. Blew a little more hot and cold this season, but love his serging runs. Perhaps he will sign, but I doubt it as him and Che have let their contracts run out, I can only presume to see if they can get a better offer. All the best to him, and I hope he gets to play in the euros. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

6 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

My favourite player and will be a huge miss. Blew a little more hot and cold this season, but love his serging runs. Perhaps he will sign, but I doubt it as him and Che have let their contracts run out, I can only presume to see if they can get a better offer. All the best to him, and I hope he gets to play in the euros. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Thought Stu had let his run down because he was retiring from football to pursue a legal career, may have been just a rumour of course.