Next season: Saints best ever chance to win the Premier League?

jawillwill

With Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and maybe Arsenal* and Spurs** all starting next seasons with new managers, they are likely to all go through a season of transition. Is this Saints chance to seize the opportunity?

* Rumours of Wegner going to PSG

** AVB might get shafted if Spurs don't finish top 4.

Technically it probably is as no one knows how well the new managers are going to do at their respective clubs.

Can't see us getting anywhere near it though, would love to be top 8 next season, but feel with the recent developments (i.e. the Liebherr's motivations) we'll be struggling to stay up again next season.

I've got more chance of becoming an International Platinum-selling music artist in a long term relationship with Taylor Swift than Saints have of winning the league next season. Only the managers are changing, the squads will be pretty much the same. With the right players brought in, we can be top ten, or even top eight, but as for winning the league next season? No chance.

Give it a couple more years of growth though and we'll see. I'm more interested in seeing if the long term spell of Manchester United dominance over English football dies with Fergie's retirement, but I do think we'll have a wait to find that out.

I am confused!

Over the last few weeks run in the resident doom merchants on here have claimed we are so bad we will lose all our matches and every other team in the league will get maximum points!

On that basis surely we can only go down next season!

As usual reality will be somewhere between the two extremes and we will probably be comfortably mid table!

We will never win the Premier League. How anyone thinks we have a chance in hell just because a few managers are leaving is beyond me; they still have a wealth of better players than us, and we've barely established ourselves as a club in this league yet, let alone one that can contend with the best! Still got League One players mate.

Certainly the management merry-go-round has the potential to shake up the status quo. I can forsee it being a lot tighter.

But if we can think like this, so can the board of Spurs, for example, who must therefore fancy their chances of going that step furthet with AVB if they hold their nerve and show some patience now.

So I am going to go for Spurs as a bit of a left-field bet (heavily dependent on holding on the Bale and him staying fit), with normal service resumed with Manyoo either under Moyes or his successor the season after that.

Only if there is a snap descision for a European super league in June will that ever happen and the traditional top 4/5 all sod off into it. Either that or we get sold to a mental billionaire who just cascades obscene amounts of money into us.

As like most things money talks in Football and the top 4 have it to burn compared to us, tiered final position winnings from The TV money then being in the Champions league brings even more wealth so the imbalance remains in that the same teams have the power to chase down the best players in the world with Mickey Mouse price tags on their heads.

Rugby league the TV money is shared equally and a wage cap is in place so there is always a chance of someone else getting a crack at the top, even in the world of American Football the bottom team gets first pick of the college draft in an attempt to level the playing field and keep the product interesting.

As nice a picture as the opening poster paints, Pigs are fed and ready for take off springs to mind.

We won't win the league but the managerial changes may give us an opportunity to get higher up if we invest. There is certainly a worry for Everton who will be without their manager of 11 years and look likely to loose Baines, Jagielka and Fellaini.

The managerial changes plus the possible moves of Rooney, Suraez, Bale. The expected spend again of Chelsea and Man City under new managers, plus the extra TV money means there will be a lot of transfers flying around the summer. We are going to do well to keep the likes of Shaw and Morgan.

current best odds are 2000/1

I would pile into this if I was you before the everyone else cottons on and these odds tumble.

I like to be careful with my money. Think I'll play safe and go for each way .

This comment should be read in a sarcastic tone

I've got more chance of becoming an International Platinum-selling music artist in a long term relationship with Taylor Swift than Saints have of winning the league next season. Only the managers are changing, the squads will be pretty much the same. With the right players brought in, we can be top ten, or even top eight, but as for winning the league next season? No chance.

Give it a couple more years of growth though and we'll see. I'm more interested in seeing if the long term spell of Manchester United dominance over English football dies with Fergie's retirement, but I do think we'll have a wait to find that out.

Ooooh mama! Count me in!!! Hubba Hubba, Taylor Swift!!! :)

With Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and maybe Arsenal* and Spurs** all starting next seasons with new managers, they are likely to all go through a season of transition. Is this Saints chance to seize the opportunity?

* Rumours of Wegner going to PSG

** AVB might get shafted if Spurs don't finish top 4.

We have very marginally more chance than last season when we weren't even in the league.

We can beat anyone on our day, and the season is just a collection of single games, so I reckon it's possible. Not a certainty by any chance but definitely possible, probable even. I'm going to put a tenner on it.

This thread definitely gets filed under "happy clappy" :-)

It's the epitome of "happy clappy". Tbh, this was a thread posted 3 days ago before all this NC leaving stuff. I think that may have damaged our chances somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

How does Jose Mourhinio's appointment affect our chances. I don't think he will be anywhere near as successful this time round which will probably play into Saints hands nicely. Saints title odds would shorten a little bit if I was a bookie.

I love the optimism, but the chance remains somewhere between slim and none.:(

However, if the trust were to authorise a spending spree of Jack Walker proportions...

If we only spent £8.5m on two strikers and a million or so on every other position this place would probably implode from people saying we were getting relegated.

Walker spent £20m on the team and £20m on the stadium, though admittedly that does somehow seem to be £354m in new money.

FWIW here's some expenditure data :

table1.png?1328397334

• 2 weeks later...
What?

Kinnear is back at Newcastle as director of football, it's the biggest laughing stock of the season as he'll be manager in a week, call everyone foreign by brands of toothpaste and be relegated by christmas, whilst Pards is smugly sitting winning the league on FM after walking away from the real job...